Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Legion decides to transfer
Looks like its confirmed that he is leaving:
http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&..._well_id=2
Uncle Buck Wrote:If he could play defense then maybe he would get more playing time. Later days Legion.

He did play defense. A lot better defense than Porter. I've not seen a person yet until now that said Legion couldn't play defense.

vundy33 Wrote:Good Riddance...we don't need a wuss like him.

No need for name calling. He was done wrong here early, and we have no idea what went on behind the scenes. After Saturday nobody should be shocked by this. He done nothing wrong only to be yanked out 3 times and humiliated by the coach.

Like my last post says. Look for more to head out of town soon.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
There has to be some sort of reason why Legion hasn't been starting. And when Gillispie "scolded" him against UNC, we don't know what is was about. Gillispie has a way of coaching that I would say most of these players aren't used to, especially the ones who played under Smith for so long. He's going to do his thing. He did it at UTEP, and he did it at Texas A&M, and it seemed to have worked just fine, he just needed time. If Legion has a problem with the way Gillispie coaches, then why would he have committed here in the first place. I mean, it was Gillispie, not Smith, who recruited him. It's obvious he's a tough coach, who wants players to play 100% every second of a game, and he appreciates competitiveness. If the players aren't willing to accept his particular philosophy, then I don't want them playing at all. Unless they are going to give Gillispie, the team, and the university everything they have, I don't want them wearing the Blue and White. My guess is this whole transfer deal with Legion has more to it than "playing time." He's obviously not doing something right, and like someone said, I would say the relationship between the two have something to do with it. I'm not upset about this year. I'm not putting too much thought into it. Pitino went 14-14 his first year, and if I'm not mistaken, he turned out to be a pretty good coach in Lexington. You all can gripe and complain what you want, but in 2-3, maybe 4 years, this program will be back on top. The problem is, most of you aren't willing to wait that long.
"There's a thin line between tough and crazy...and you're flirtin' with it." (REMEMBER THE TITANS)... Coach G better be advised. Also, he better get the juice under control.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:There has to be some sort of reason why Legion hasn't been starting. And when Gillispie "scolded" him against UNC, we don't know what is was about. Gillispie has a way of coaching that I would say most of these players aren't used to, especially the ones who played under Smith for so long. He's going to do his thing. He did it at UTEP, and he did it at Texas A&M, and it seemed to have worked just fine, he just needed time. If Legion has a problem with the way Gillispie coaches, then why would he have committed here in the first place. I mean, it was Gillispie, not Smith, who recruited him. It's obvious he's a tough coach, who wants players to play 100% every second of a game, and he appreciates competitiveness. If the players aren't willing to accept his particular philosophy, then I don't want them playing at all. Unless they are going to give Gillispie, the team, and the university everything they have, I don't want them wearing the Blue and White. My guess is this whole transfer deal with Legion has more to it than "playing time." He's obviously not doing something right, and like someone said, I would say the relationship between the two have something to do with it. I'm not upset about this year. I'm not putting too much thought into it. Pitino went 14-14 his first year, and if I'm not mistaken, he turned out to be a pretty good coach in Lexington. You all can gripe and complain what you want, but in 2-3, maybe 4 years, this program will be back on top. The problem is, most of you aren't willing to wait that long.

I think this goes beyond Legion vs. Billy G. and that is what worries me. The message I posted earlier about the insiders knowing this was coming and predicting more scares me.

Something is going on here, and it's not good. My whole gripe with Coach Gillispie right now is that his pride is 1st fiddle and putting the best product on the floor is 2nd. He obviously humiliated Legion the other day at the game. Legion was playing defense and had what 7 points in 6 minutes?

If Tubby Smith was still the coach here and this happened fans would be out to hang him. I just don't understand how there isn't anymore backlash from this, especially when there are rumblings of more to leave which I believe will happen, and when one of them does fans will turn quickly. (trust me)

I hope I'm wrong on this, but I'm starting to think we hired a coach that isn't going to take us up like the fans want.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Seems like the same thing was said about Brooks and the football program. Now I understand that basketball isn't under NCAA restrictions, but the coach doesn't have the players that he needs (blame that on who you wish). Legion committed to Gillispie and knew what the coach is about and what he demanded from his players. If he can't give that and is going to be a baby because he isn't getting the playing time that he thinks he deserves, then let him leave.

As has been said, Gillispie knows what he needs and knows his coaching style. It has worked at his last 2 schools. I just wish people would give him at least 2.5 seasons before they complain so dang much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FBALL Wrote:If anyone didn't expect turmoil after the past couple of years they were naive. This is not a quick or easy fix.

AGREED.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO SHUT UP AND LET COACH DO THE COACHING..............
alfus21 Wrote:I think this goes beyond Legion vs. Billy G. and that is what worries me. The message I posted earlier about the insiders knowing this was coming and predicting more scares me.

Something is going on here, and it's not good. My whole gripe with Coach Gillispie right now is that his pride is 1st fiddle and putting the best product on the floor is 2nd. He obviously humiliated Legion the other day at the game. Legion was playing defense and had what 7 points in 6 minutes?

If Tubby Smith was still the coach here and this happened fans would be out to hang him. I just don't understand how there isn't anymore backlash from this, especially when there are rumblings of more to leave which I believe will happen, and when one of them does fans will turn quickly. (trust me)

I hope I'm wrong on this, but I'm starting to think we hired a coach that isn't going to take us up like the fans want.
I want him to "take us up" too, and so does everyone else who bleeds blue. But did you really expect him yo do it THIS season? It takes time. The players have to adjust to the way he coaches, and it's obvious Legion hasn't done that in one way or another. I loved watching A&M last season and the way they played the game of basketball. Give him time. That's all we can do. Some people will hate, and others will love him. But this whole "rebuilding the program" and "leading us back to prominence" isn't going to happen over night. As much as 99% of the fans want to deny it, it's going to take a few YEARS....not GAMES!
What is this "Pride" Coach is trying to put 1st? I would think if that is true, then in order to keep his Pride then he would want to do what is best to win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey if he wants to cry about only playing 6 mins and getting yelled out, let him leave. He is only a freshman. By what I seen the first few games is that hes not that great. This isnt High School. The only players on this team that is gonna play the whole game is Patterson and Jasper. If he dont want yelled at, go to the NBA.
Good Ridance! Coach Gillispie knows how to win and if Legion doesn't want to be part of the system at the Greatest Basketball Program in the History of the game then kick his rear end out of Lexington and we'll find soomebody who respects his teammates, his coach, the Athletic Director, the University of Kentucky and the fans of the Big Blue Nation.

Apparently Alex Legion isn't worthy of wearing the Blue and White of the Bluegrass State! Go Cats!
We all know it takes time to build a program up, thats no mystery. But when you take players like Legion out of the mix, well thats a bad start. Anyone who thinks this isnt a bad situation is crazy. Looks like only a few other people see it the way I do, and the rest of you would if you would get your heads out of the coaches bum. I hope that he runs off everyone just so you people can see whats going on. One other thing, the only reason he did what he did with those 2 other schools was because they were not UK type teams. One is in the weak big 12 and the other in an even weaker conference. I am getting to the point of giving up on anything UK related, and that sucks because I have been a UK fan all my life, but when crap like this happens, its hard to remain a fan.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I want him to "take us up" too, and so does everyone else who bleeds blue. But did you really expect him yo do it THIS season? It takes time. The players have to adjust to the way he coaches, and it's obvious Legion hasn't done that in one way or another. I loved watching A&M last season and the way they played the game of basketball. Give him time. That's all we can do. Some people will hate, and others will love him. But this whole "rebuilding the program" and "leading us back to prominence" isn't going to happen over night. As much as 99% of the fans want to deny it, it's going to take a few YEARS....not GAMES!

You've read my posts in the past, and I never expected this season to be great. But are you satisfied losing to teams like Gardner Webb while he sits there, makes zero adjustments, and lets it happen?

I expected a similar record to last season, and that is exactly what should happen.

I'm well aware of Meeks and Jasper being injured and that does hurt but I also don't like to lose to teams who have inferior talent when compared to our team. The Stony Brook fiasco was unreal as well. Why does he continue to leave Porter on the floor when he isn't producing?

Nobody should expect to be lead to prominence over night, but fans should expect to see the best players on the floor each game. He says he takes players out for not playing his style or defense, what has Porter done to prove his playing time on the court?

Like I said, Legion done nothing wrong in the UNC game the other day. Go back and watch. He came in and done a great job of defense and scoring.

I think Billy Gillispie knows basketball, I just want to see it.

It'd be one thing if Legion was the only one that will transfer, but it looks like more will.

Walk-on Kerry Benson quit the team last week.

Maybe it's just the character he has displayed off the court in the off season that has me fired up which I won't go into. Anybody that knows anybody in Lexington can tell you those stories.

Still a long season. I'm cooling off now and he still has plenty of time to prove himself. I just want to see some coaching, and some good substitution patterns. Which after hearing the thousands of boos at the game Saturday, I'd be shocked if we didn't see him start to change his ways.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:We all know it takes time to build a program up, thats no mystery. But when you take players like Legion out of the mix, well thats a bad start. Anyone who thinks this isnt a bad situation is crazy. Looks like only a few other people see it the way I do, and the rest of you would if you would get your heads out of the coaches bum. I hope that he runs off everyone just so you stupid people can see whats going on. One other thing, the only reason he did what he did with those 2 other schools was because they were not UK type teams. One is in the weak big 12 and the other in an even weaker conference. I am getting to the point of giving up on anything UK related, and that sucks because I have been a UK fan all my life, but when crap like this happens, its hard to remain a fan.
:howdy: See ya later then, we'll send ya a post card from the national championship in a year or two.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:We all know it takes time to build a program up, thats no mystery. But when you take players like Legion out of the mix, well thats a bad start. Anyone who thinks this isnt a bad situation is crazy. Looks like only a few other people see it the way I do, and the rest of you would if you would get your heads out of the coaches bum. I hope that he runs off everyone just so you stupid people can see whats going on. One other thing, the only reason he did what he did with those 2 other schools was because they were not UK type teams. One is in the weak big 12 and the other in an even weaker conference. I am getting to the point of giving up on anything UK related, and that sucks because I have been a UK fan all my life, but when crap like this happens, its hard to remain a fan.
OK People are putting their opinions on here and you have to say somthing like that. Thanks for helping this site out.:Thumbs:
Alfus, no one wants to see it the way we do. Legion didnt do a thing wrong in that game and by my view has done little wrong to be getting treated like this. I do disagree with you however when you say that you believe the coach knows how to coach, I honestly dont think he does. If he did, he would know that Porter and Coury dont deserve to play as much as they play. They are more like practice players, thats it. I hope Legion goes somewhere where he will get the opportunity to play against UK and come back here and kick their *****.
They will not win anything under this joke of a coach, I guarantee it. You people are so blind its almost sad, but you are a perfect fit with the man so I shouldnt expect any less.
I do want to clarify that I am in no way "giving up" on the program. I'm just frustrated, and it stems from several things that I've seen our coach do or not do.

I think he "could" lead UK to the top, but has to coach exactly like he did at Texas A&M which is something he isn't doing right now. Even then he has yet to lead a team with his recruits past the Sweet 16. Haven't we heard that before?

He isn't showing the passion he did last season which was definitely there.

I think it will come eventually and when it does we'll see the coach we were all excited about to begin with.

Right now he acts a lot like Billy Donovan used to in his early Florida days where they would be getting beat and he'd just sit there with his head down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He might just slack off in practice, and if he does I dont blame Coach G for benching him. He has said if you dont practice hard you dont play.
alfus21 Wrote:You've read my posts in the past, and I never expected this season to be great. But are you satisfied losing to teams like Gardner Webb while he sits there, makes zero adjustments, and lets it happen?

I expected a similar record to last season, and that is exactly what should happen.

I'm well aware of Meeks and Jasper being injured and that does hurt but I also don't like to lose to teams who have inferior talent when compared to our team. The Stony Brook fiasco was unreal as well. Why does he continue to leave Porter on the floor when he isn't producing?

Nobody should expect to be lead to prominence over night, but fans should expect to see the best players on the floor each game. He says he takes players out for not playing his style or defense, what has Porter done to prove his playing time on the court?

Like I said, Legion done nothing wrong in the UNC game the other day. Go back and watch. He came in and done a great job of defense and scoring.

I think Billy Gillispie knows basketball, I just want to see it.
I will agree with you about Porter. And I'm not sure if it was you who said it earlier or not, but he is a role player. He should not be starting, and should not be running the point. As much as I am rooting for the underdog, Mark Coury, he should be nowhere near a basketball. And what a wasted scholarship Ramon Harris was. All he does is turn the ball over. Those three (Porter, Harris, and Coury) should not be playing at all. Do I want to see Legion go? Of course not. But I also want players who will play the way the coach expects. I have been impressed with his play for the most part this season, but if it's apparent Gillispie wants certain things out of him, and he's obviously not producing the way Gillispie wants. We don't know what is said between the two. We don't know what Legion is doing to make Gillispie not play him as much as we all like. I too believe Gillispie knows basketball, but I also believe he has to have HIS players in order to coach and produce like he is capable. I don't agree with every decision he makes, but I'm not going to agree with 100% of decisions any coach makes. I also don't disagree with you on everything, and I see the points you make. I'm not trying to start an argument. I guess I'm just trying to get my point across. Rolleyes
alfus21 Wrote:He did play defense. A lot better defense than Porter. I've not seen a person yet until now that said Legion couldn't play defense.

No need for name calling. He was done wrong here early, and we have no idea what went on behind the scenes. After Saturday nobody should be shocked by this. He done nothing wrong only to be yanked out 3 times and humiliated by the coach.

Like my last post says. Look for more to head out of town soon.

I've watched every game, I a member of catspause.com and several fans like myself agree on that site that he doesn't play defense. Porter is a scrappy kid, hustles, listens, and he must work his tail off in practice to log all the minutes he does. A lot of fans think that we need a bunch of hamburger boys to compete and that's not the case. We need players that are going to play coaches way, if they don't like it then don't come. No one should worship a player because of how many stars the ranking services gave him coming out of high school. I like BCG and think he will do well here. He has done wonders every where he has been because the kids listen and respond to his instructions. What has Legion done that was so great this season besides make a couple of baskets on Saturday? Nothing that I can recall. If he doesn't want to do things the way coach wants it done, or doesn't want to be here then leave. I guess he finally got that through his head and is moving on.
Uncle Buck Wrote:I've watched every game, I a member of catspause.com and several fans like myself agree on that site that he doesn't play defense. Porter is a scrappy kid, hustles, listens, and he must work his tail off in practice to log all the minutes he does. A lot of fans think that we need a bunch of hamburger boys to compete and that's not the case. We need players that are going to play coaches way, if they don't like it then don't come. No one should worship a player because of how many stars the ranking services gave him coming out of high school. I like BCG and think he will do well here. He has done wonders every where he has been because the kids listen and respond to his instructions. What has Legion done that was so great this season besides make a couple of baskets on Saturday? Nothing that I can recall. If he doesn't want to do things the way coach wants it done, or doesn't want to be here then leave. I guess he finally got that through his head and is moving on.
Best post I've read all night.
Uncle Buck Wrote:I've watched every game, I a member of catspause.com and several fans like myself agree on that site that he doesn't play defense. Porter is a scrappy kid, hustles, listens, and he must work his tail off in practice to log all the minutes he does. A lot of fans think that we need a bunch of hamburger boys to compete and that's not the case. We need players that are going to play coaches way, if they don't like it then don't come. No one should worship a player because of how many stars the ranking services gave him coming out of high school. I like BCG and think he will do well here. He has done wonders every where he has been because the kids listen and respond to his instructions. What has Legion done that was so great this season besides make a couple of baskets on Saturday? Nothing that I can recall. If he doesn't want to do things the way coach wants it done, or doesn't want to be here then leave. I guess he finally got that through his head and is moving on.
One of the best posts I've read on this site. Great points.
Well at-least were getting Miller from Mason Co.
Trey Lopez Wrote:Well at-least were getting Miller from Mason Co.
And Liggins from Findlay Prep. And we know both will give it 100% in practice and games.
Uk will be better next year after crawford and Bradley is gone though.

Smile Well I'm glad you're a member of catspause like 10,000 other people but that doesn't make your opinion or theirs anymore right than mine or anybody elses. I too am a member there but it doesn't mean anything.

Porter does hustle but when he isn't helping the team game after game he shouldn't be playing. I know guys that hustle all the time but that doesn't mean they should play more than someone more talented. Legion had 9 steals in less minutes than Porter. He played hard on defense regardless of what some fans may think.

I do however like your stance on the fact that we don't need blue chip recruit after clue chip recruit to compete. I think there are several 3 and 4 star guys who are capable of contributing as good if not better than a lot of the blue chippers who are one and out. That's one thing I like about players like Stewart, Meeks, and Jasper. They all have high basketball IQ's and seem to love the game.

And I also agree that he had good impacts on players such as Law who hated him at first but later said he was glad he got to play for him.

Only time will tell. Let's hope for the best.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UK hasn't had a versatile guard like Legion in quiet some time. This will hurt IMO, but of course what does it matter since we never got to see him play anyways.
I honestly believe this is a "weed out year". It won't be pretty but whoever makes it through it will be better off. Gillispie has done things his way and not always for the sake of winning ONE GAME. If everyone that is old enough thinks back, Pitino ran off a few players his first year as well. He ran them to death. The only ones that stuck around were the cast offs. Those cast offs and a couple of recruits went on to become a pretty good team after a couple of years.

Porter may not be the most talented basketball player in the world but I would take a whole team of kids just like him. He hustles in practice, he hustles in games, he does whatever is asked of him and for that he gets criticized by a bunch of people on here who couldn't hold his jock. Sorry but most of you are the same people who said Tubby can't coach. Its a joke.

Legion obviously had issues. If you want to be babied and told how great you are than Gillispie is not your coach. If you want pushed to become the best you can be and have the stomach to listen to criticism and desire to work for it than Gillispie is your man. I'm not saying Legion is a bad kid or even has an attitude problem. But this episode does make me question his toughness.
This is just another lump in the road that we must travel down this year. I, like many, hate to lose a player as talented as Legion. People can say what they want; "He doesn't play defense', "Porter doesn't help us', BCG is letting his pride get in the way.", but the fact is that this year UK is going to have more lows than highs. It is hard being such a strong UK fan and having to set through this. It is really disheartning. But I do know how BCG has turned programs around in his brief past and I do have hope for the future. Legion does need to be on the court more. That is a fact that no one can say otherwise. Playing defense or not, right now we need scoring and he can do that. But if he is having problems with the coach because BCG might have got in his face a little then he needs to do some growing up. This isnt high school. This is UK and the biggest stage in basketball. Whatever the problems are at UK right now, they are bad and only going to get worse if us fans start turning on our coach who took over a program that was spiraling down into poop. We need to let the coach do his job.
The one thing, besides losing a good player, that bothers me the most that once this hits the media it will make UK look bad, again like it did with Crawford and Morris.