Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
88.00%
Breathitt County
12.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry vs. Breathitt County- Class AAA Semi-finals
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Breathitt has more than one weapon they go to. They are better defensively, especially against the run than Somerset, and know how to play Belfry, as Belfry knows how to play Breathitt. It will come down to who controls the tempo of the game and has the fewest turnovers IMO. I think Belfry should be a 2 td favorite, but Breathitt can beat them if Belfry does not take care of business. Breathitt will be as ready as any opponant that Belfry has played all season.

I agree, the game is going to be a rough one, But the Pirates D has more that jsut Ryan, And As far as the running game goes Ivan Lee can hit hard and hes one of the best Runners that belfry has put out following MATO and Doug Howard And David Jones. I see Both teems having there hands full with each other but makr my words Pirates Will Prevail
FBALL Wrote:I think Breathitt will cause Belfry some problems. There defense is quick and they tackle well. There won't be many running lanes. The biggest difference between Belfry and Breathitt, Russell, Mason Co (And yes I think Mason County is just as good as the other two) is their defense. Offensively all of the teams mentioned are about even. But the on defense Belfry is better.

You really give Mason too much credit.
..And now ladies and gentleman, it is Thursday night... PREDICTION TIME (Cold weather addition)!

KEYS TO VICTORY:
BELFRY

1. "Wear Layers"- This pertains to Belfry's literal depth on defense. Simply put, if Belfry fins the majority of their team having to play clsoe to the line of scrimmage to slow down breathitt's running game, the Pirates are in trouble. If Belfry can sustain stopping Bretahitt's ground game with only their D-line, and can allow their LB's and DE's to play down the field, the Piurate's chance for success is very high.

2. "Hot Chilli"- Belfry has got to burn the Bobcats with the big play. This may surprise people that I say this, because undoubtedly Belfry's best chance for victory seemingly comes with their ability to control the tempo with long demoralizing drives, but I see a different perspective. Everyone in the state of Kentucky knows that Breathitt will be selling out on the run and the Pirate's have the opportunity to hit the homerun. If Belfry can consistently break long runs it will place doubts in the heads of a Breathitt defense who already feels their only chance is to take chances. Momentum is definately critical in this game, but above momentum you have to place confidence. The most confident team will play the ebst, and what better way to build confidence than gashing Breathitt's defense?

3. "Dont Freeze"- This thread is evident of the oen thing that worries me more than anything, the mental satte of this game. Both teams are 13-0, both teams have rolled along this season without much of a challenge, both teams have been in this situation many times before, but for soem reason Belfry is expected to romp Breathitt by many. Belfry will be well prepared and well-coached, but these are high school kids we are talking about, and the mental game ebcomes much more variable at this level. Belfry has got to have a killer's mentality in this one, instead of palying like they "want" this game (like the past two years vs. Russell), they must play as if they "NEED" this game (like 2003 @ Middlesboro and Lloyd). Belfry WILL get Bretahitt's bets shot, and it will be a Breathitt team with a major chip on thier shoulder, belfry cannot freeze up.

BREATHITT COUNTY

1. "Turn On the Heater"- If you were to look at gamefilm over the past 4 years of the games Belfry has lost, it all boils down to two things. 1) Belfry beat themselves with turnovers, a poor start, and penalties. 2) The opposing defense was the agressor and constantly hit Belfry in the bakcifeld as the play developed. This is a very fundamentally sound squad who I can't see #1 happening, but with Bretahitt's quickness and hitting they can definately create #2.

2. "White Out The Line"- Bretahitt will be wearing their road white jersey's, and the bottom line is, if they can't win the battle up front on both sides of the ball, they are in serious danger. On offense they have got to keep Belfry's uber-quick lineman from penetrating and disrupting their offense. The Bobcats have a tendacy for taking a long time for their plays to develop, if Belfry can get pentration it could result in very long losses and/or turnovers. Defensively, Breathitt has got to shut down the middle of the field, PERIOD. Lee and May are on another level in terms of their size and strength, and they have been able to run between the tackles all season. Bretahitt has to attempt to mimic what worked for Russell, by forcing Belfry to beat them from the outside in.

3. "Cover Up and Stay Warm"- Protecting the football is a must. If Belfry gets a short field it is goonight sweetheart, but more so than anything those turnovers will hurt the Bobcats mentally. The Bobcats must "stay warm" by keeping the ball moving and keeping the games momentum, as well as their confidence, in their favor. I honestly think no team in 3A can beat belfry by consstantly sustaining "drives", the Pirate defense really is all that it is advertised, and eventually they will make something happen. But, the Pirates can be exploited with a big play. Breathitt needs to have at least 4 or more plays of 30 yards or more.

PREDICTION

Much tougher defensive battle than some expect, but the constant wear and tear of Belfry's grinding offense eventually proves too much for a very game Bobcat team:

BELFRY 28
BREATHITT 13
belfry is going to dominate this one
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:You really give Mason too much credit.
I don't think so. Mason County had a very good team this year.
No offense to Breathitt County, but the Blackcats defense only let the Bobcats score twice and they forced about four or five turnovers in that game, and Breathitt County had home field advantage. Now, the Bobcats play a much better defense, and guess what? The game is at the CAM... No way the Bobcats win this one!
Since i dont get to go to the game ill be doing updates again this week for anyone who cant make it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
17 hours to go... I'm as excited as the boys I'm sure ;P
I am going to go with Belfry in this game by 3 TD's..
Definitely would be the upset of the year in 3A if Breathitt is able to pull this one off
:thumpsup: I agree!:thumpsup:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:..And now ladies and gentleman, it is Thursday night... PREDICTION TIME (Cold weather addition)!

KEYS TO VICTORY:
BELFRY

1. "Wear Layers"- This pertains to Belfry's literal depth on defense. Simply put, if Belfry fins the majority of their team having to play clsoe to the line of scrimmage to slow down breathitt's running game, the Pirates are in trouble. If Belfry can sustain stopping Bretahitt's ground game with only their D-line, and can allow their LB's and DE's to play down the field, the Piurate's chance for success is very high.

2. "Hot Chilli"- Belfry has got to burn the Bobcats with the big play. This may surprise people that I say this, because undoubtedly Belfry's best chance for victory seemingly comes with their ability to control the tempo with long demoralizing drives, but I see a different perspective. Everyone in the state of Kentucky knows that Breathitt will be selling out on the run and the Pirate's have the opportunity to hit the homerun. If Belfry can consistently break long runs it will place doubts in the heads of a Breathitt defense who already feels their only chance is to take chances. Momentum is definately critical in this game, but above momentum you have to place confidence. The most confident team will play the ebst, and what better way to build confidence than gashing Breathitt's defense?

3. "Dont Freeze"- This thread is evident of the oen thing that worries me more than anything, the mental satte of this game. Both teams are 13-0, both teams have rolled along this season without much of a challenge, both teams have been in this situation many times before, but for soem reason Belfry is expected to romp Breathitt by many. Belfry will be well prepared and well-coached, but these are high school kids we are talking about, and the mental game ebcomes much more variable at this level. Belfry has got to have a killer's mentality in this one, instead of palying like they "want" this game (like the past two years vs. Russell), they must play as if they "NEED" this game (like 2003 @ Middlesboro and Lloyd). Belfry WILL get Bretahitt's bets shot, and it will be a Breathitt team with a major chip on thier shoulder, belfry cannot freeze up.

BREATHITT COUNTY

1. "Turn On the Heater"- If you were to look at gamefilm over the past 4 years of the games Belfry has lost, it all boils down to two things. 1) Belfry beat themselves with turnovers, a poor start, and penalties. 2) The opposing defense was the agressor and constantly hit Belfry in the bakcifeld as the play developed. This is a very fundamentally sound squad who I can't see #1 happening, but with Bretahitt's quickness and hitting they can definately create #2.

2. "White Out The Line"- Bretahitt will be wearing their road white jersey's, and the bottom line is, if they can't win the battle up front on both sides of the ball, they are in serious danger. On offense they have got to keep Belfry's uber-quick lineman from penetrating and disrupting their offense. The Bobcats have a tendacy for taking a long time for their plays to develop, if Belfry can get pentration it could result in very long losses and/or turnovers. Defensively, Breathitt has got to shut down the middle of the field, PERIOD. Lee and May are on another level in terms of their size and strength, and they have been able to run between the tackles all season. Bretahitt has to attempt to mimic what worked for Russell, by forcing Belfry to beat them from the outside in.

3. "Cover Up and Stay Warm"- Protecting the football is a must. If Belfry gets a short field it is goonight sweetheart, but more so than anything those turnovers will hurt the Bobcats mentally. The Bobcats must "stay warm" by keeping the ball moving and keeping the games momentum, as well as their confidence, in their favor. I honestly think no team in 3A can beat belfry by consstantly sustaining "drives", the Pirate defense really is all that it is advertised, and eventually they will make something happen. But, the Pirates can be exploited with a big play. Breathitt needs to have at least 4 or more plays of 30 yards or more.

PREDICTION

Much tougher defensive battle than some expect, but the constant wear and tear of Belfry's grinding offense eventually proves too much for a very game Bobcat team:

BELFRY 28
BREATHITT 13
Cards09 Wrote:Since i dont get to go to the game ill be doing updates again this week for anyone who cant make it.
I can't make it either. I will be listening to Bobby & Joe from the online broadcast but I also follow the updates. This is going to be one slow day at work counting down the minutes until kickoff. I've even got co-workers wearing that Belfry red today all the way in North Carolina!!!!!!! Everyone loves a Pirate!!!!!
My car is all decked out..Pirate flags on the car and the windows are painted..been driving around down here in lexington like that for a day or so...

Im on my waY to Belfry about 1:45

cant wait....

Go Pirates !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Will be leaving Virginia in a few hours. Had to let the daughter get some school in today. Will be thinking about you Pond Creek tonight.

Go Pirates!
Welcome to the best site in town! If you need anything, just let me know.
BelfryJustice Wrote:Will be leaving Virginia in a few hours. Had to let the daughter get some school in today. Will be thinking about you Pond Creek tonight.

Go Pirates!

Sniff sniff, Thanks! I am looking at airline tickets now for next week!!!!
I want to go so bad...lol GO BELFRY!
5 1/2 hours to game time, I cant wait...
Word from Cam Stadium....fans are already putting seats down in the bleachers!! Pep Rally under way also!!!! Needless to say the "The Old Lady" (CAM) will be rocking tonight!!!!!
Pond Creek Wrote:Word from Cam Stadium....fans are already putting seats down in the bleachers!! Pep Rally under way also!!!! Needless to say the "The Old Lady" (CAM) will be rocking tonight!!!!!

Thank God for reserved seats....Wink

I am so excited about tonight's game.:letsparty
Good luck to both teams but Belfry will be to much for the bobcats tonight Belfry By two TD'S
Belfry by 14
Belfry 45

Breathitt 13
RUSSELL RED DEVILS