Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
88.00%
Breathitt County
12.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry vs. Breathitt County- Class AAA Semi-finals
Meaty Wrote:After playing both Breathitt(scrimmage) and Belfry(last week), Belfry will win big over the Bobcats. Belfry is hands down the best team in the state.

Channing Fugate did not play in the scrimmage against Somerset because he had surgery. He makes that big of a difference for this team. Also Breathitt got some problems on defense corrected and has played way better since. I just don't see a blowout.
Battle Of The 13-0's

Belfry Pirates - 42
Breathitt County Bobcats - 34
belfry by 2 TD's
RedDevil_TE Wrote:As much as i hate to im going to half to take Belfry in this one, just basing this off of what i have saw, if Belfry can hold Johnson Centrals Shawn Grimm to hardly any yards at all i think that they will absolutely kill breathitt with their run defense. But on the flipside i know nothing about Belfry's pass defense. We forced Breathitt to go away from their favorite formation the Utah Option into doubles and making them throw the ball all game we held Breathitt to 87 rushing yards on 25 carries, but passing wise they had 215 in the air. I just dont see Breathitt surviving this one.
Sounds like Breathitt went back to what they have done well in years past when they needed the points. They do not have to run the ball much to win, the pass is good enough to keep the score close and the defense should be able to stop a one demintional offense, if not, then they do not deserve to go to Louisville. Breathitt is best when they spread the field with 4-5 receivers and not when they try gadget formations like the Utah Option. I know Belfry can stop the run, and can stop the pass to an extent, but Breathitt knows how Belfry plays and will run what has worked for them against the pirates in the past. It should be a close game IMO.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Meaty Wrote:After playing both Breathitt(scrimmage) and Belfry(last week), Belfry will win big over the Bobcats. Belfry is hands down the best team in the state.
I agree, it would be an upset if Breathitt wins.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I take Belfry in a close one due to the home field....It may be closer than some of you think though....I think the Chapman coached defense may be able to slow the Pirate ground game down, while I don't think any one can stop it....Eastern Ky. will be represented well in Louisville either way.
DevilsWin Wrote:Oh yes you were! Complete Bull Butter! And I hate to break it to you but Sheldon Clark is not the kind of programn that Russell and Belfry are year in and year out.

With a healthy Adam Dials, I'd bet on SC over Mason, probably Russell too. TBH #9, the boy from SC who played QB earlier in the year, should have been the other tailback with Dials in their wishbone all season. He ran extremely well against us in the playoff game. I'd take Dials, Kelley, and #9 in my backfield over anyone else we've played against except Grimm. Oh, #30 from Somerset was a great one too.

And yes, year in and year out, SC has a solid football program. Just because they don't have any state titles in YOUR young and recent memory doesn't mean they don't have a tradition of their own. They do, and they proudly (and rightfully!) display their successes at The Rock. They've just ran aground against the Pirates since you've been around, young Devil.
Belfry has proven that they can stop passing teams. Breathitt won't have the time to go deep and burn our slower D Backs, who play tight to stop short passes and the ground game. No one has found a solution to the Phil, Corey, and Randy equation this year, and when we add a Charlie or Maydiesel blitz into the equation, offenses tend to fall to pieces.

Let's see, passing teams we've been able to keep to around 21 points this year: Corbin (shutout) and Somerset (Cole only 1 TD) of note, Johnson Central threw as many INTs as they did TD passes, hmmm... yep, looks like we're weak against the pass...

And don't think that just because we don't throw much it means we can't. Haywood goes with what works, and we've not needed to this year. Stuff 11 in the box and see if Drew doesn't burn you for 6.
If Belfry doesn't turn it over and commit a ton of penalties I feel they should win 42-21 Here is why

* Belfry's defense. The best I have seen in years. They can stop the run, defend the pass and get pressure on qb.

* running attack is great because of a solid line with only one senior. Belfry can run 5 people at you it's not just May and Lee.

* solid special teams. Earnest can boot it. Belfy's coverage is good.

Breathitt will get some big plays because they are a good team.

But I have seen Belfry's defense dominate alot of good offenses.

Plus nerves could become a factor the CAM will be rocking. I have aalot of respect for Breathitt's program but these kids haven't played in a state semi - final. That could come into play.

Breathitt could shock the world , however anything less than a title appearence for Belfry is a disappointment.
:Wave: [B]Well said and these guys play with an extreme amount of HEART attached to that ability!Confusedmallchee Bucs all the WAY!!! I have an itch for Papa Johns!!TongueirateSho TongueirateSho[B]
Sarrr Wrote:Belfry has proven that they can stop passing teams. Breathitt won't have the time to go deep and burn our slower D Backs, who play tight to stop short passes and the ground game. No one has found a solution to the Phil, Corey, and Randy equation this year, and when we add a Charlie or Maydiesel blitz into the equation, offenses tend to fall to pieces.

Let's see, passing teams we've been able to keep to around 21 points this year: Corbin (shutout) and Somerset (Cole only 1 TD) of note, Johnson Central threw as many INTs as they did TD passes, hmmm... yep, looks like we're weak against the pass...

And don't think that just because we don't throw much it means we can't. Haywood goes with what works, and we've not needed to this year. Stuff 11 in the box and see if Drew doesn't burn you for 6.
OK, Meaty...You are officially adopted...lol...just teasing..but if you need a ride to Papa Johns, I am sure that I can move some of the kids around in my "Brady Bunch" wagon for you!!Smile Smile Smile Smile
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I know Belfry can stop the run, and can stop the pass to an extent, but Breathitt knows how Belfry plays and will run what has worked for them against the pirates in the past. It should be a close game IMO.

I try to be as fair about assessing things as I can, but if Breathitt tries using their offense ala the Haddix and Sperry days, with the personnel they have this season, Belfry will smoke them, period.

The old Belfry defenses could not stop the pass, even in the 2003 and 2004 state championships that secondary looked absolutely lost in pass coverage, this Pirate secondary is very strong. A stat alot of people are not looking at is this, the great Somerset passing offense completed 7 total passes Friday night, all of which were caught by John Cole. Of those 7 receptions 4 were late in the game against subs that accounted for over 80 of their 150 total passing yards, and their only TD. Additionally, Cole gained about 70 yards on two catches where the coverage was absolutely perfect and he tied the ball up as the receiver and DB were going to the ground. Additonally, Belfry beat and battered the poor Somerset QB to death, I felt bad for the kid because he rarely had time to do anything.

In order for Breathitt to move the ball on Belfry they have to sue the balanced offense they have used all season where the Fugates both run the ball, and once the defense honors the run they go to the air.

NO TEAM IN THE STATE OF KENTUCKY, REGARDLESS OF CLASS, CAN BEAT BELFRY BEING ONE DEMENSIONAL! I am as negative as a Belfry fan as they come in terms of my optimism, it takes alot for me to say this.
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:OK, Meaty...You are officially adopted...lol...just teasing..but if you need a ride to Papa Johns, I am sure that I can move some of the kids around in my "Brady Bunch" wagon for you!!Smile Smile Smile Smile

haha thanks but I might be going anyways so if you all make it I might see you there
~Pirates Pack a Punch~ Wrote:OK, Meaty...You are officially adopted...lol...just teasing..but if you need a ride to Papa Johns, I am sure that I can move some of the kids around in my "Brady Bunch" wagon for you!!Smile Smile Smile Smile
Funny thing is that after talking with Meaty yesterday we figured out he is related to us closer than we thought.We are like second cousins and didn't even know it.
Twice that has happened to us this year.We have a cousin playin for Johnson Central too LOL.
kyr450 Wrote:I hate to break the news to you but, Breathitt wont be DOMINATING Belfry next year, Belfry may lose Dustin May and a few others, but they will be loaded next year again, Elkins back at QB Charlie dotson an Ivan Lee back in the backfield, most of our line is returning... Also Ivan Lee may be the best back in the mountains or better yet the state next year... May be another back to back title run for the pond creek nation...

Read the post. It did not say Breathitt would DOMINATE Belfry, it simply said they would be DOMINATE. Also I think I said that Belfry would win! With this being said, I do believe that Breathitt will be more forceful the next 2 or 3 years and it will depend on how good Russell and Belfy are to determine which of the Big 3 in the mountains will come out. There is no place for bashing either Breathitt or Russell, they are equally as talented as Belfry!
cobra67 Wrote:Funny thing is that after talking with Meaty yesterday we figured out he is related to us closer than we thought.We are like second cousins and didn't even know it.
Twice that has happened to us this year.We have a cousin playin for Johnson Central too LOL.

Me to, one of my cousins played for JC but he quit after summer practice. Thats about stupid to quit right when the hard practices ends lol
Sarrr Wrote:With a healthy Adam Dials, I'd bet on SC over Mason, probably Russell too. TBH #9, the boy from SC who played QB earlier in the year, should have been the other tailback with Dials in their wishbone all season. He ran extremely well against us in the playoff game. I'd take Dials, Kelley, and #9 in my backfield over anyone else we've played against except Grimm. Oh, #30 from Somerset was a great one too.

And yes, year in and year out, SC has a solid football program. Just because they don't have any state titles in YOUR young and recent memory doesn't mean they don't have a tradition of their own. They do, and they proudly (and rightfully!) display their successes at The Rock. They've just ran aground against the Pirates since you've been around, young Devil.

This year Maybe Sheldon Clark was as good as Russell. But their over-all program. Please......

BTW I'd bet you were still in diapers when I was Putting on the Pads in 1979 for the 1st time. Young Pirate.
DevilsWin Wrote:This year Maybe Sheldon Clark was as good as Russell. But their over-all program. Please......

BTW I'd bet you were still in diapers when I was Putting on the Pads in 1979 for the 1st time. Young Pirate.

Your point? There's a lot of us that have been playing some level of football since 1979 but it in no way makes us any more knowledgeable of the game than someone who is in their teens and 20's.
wooderson Wrote:[/b]

Your point? There's a lot of us that have been playing some level of football since 1979 but it in no way makes us any more knowledgeable of the game than someone who is in their teens and 20's.
Refer to post #67.

Never said it does make a difference.
Now lets get this thread back on track before we get a warning.
IMO i dont think there is any way Breathitt can withstand the pressure that belfrys defense will put on them for the entire game . Belfry by 3 tds
DevilsWin Wrote:Refer to post #67.

Never said it does make a difference.
Now lets get this thread back on track before we get a warning.

Lets stay on topic.. This isn't a thread about Sheldon Clark and Russell. Besides thier seasons are over.
Belfry by 2 TD's.
Journeyman Wrote:Read the post. It did not say Breathitt would DOMINATE Belfry, it simply said they would be DOMINATE. Also I think I said that Belfry would win! With this being said, I do believe that Breathitt will be more forceful the next 2 or 3 years and it will depend on how good Russell and Belfy are to determine which of the Big 3 in the mountains will come out. There is no place for bashing either Breathitt or Russell, they are equally as talented as Belfry!

By saying they would be dominate, the would have to dominate Belfry... A dominate team, dominates every team they play... Not that it matters, next year is along time away... Good Luck to Breathitt Co. but there season ends Friday night on Pond Creek...
This Belfry team is a machine....i dont see anyone stopping them this year. Belfry by 2+ TD's
Belfry-21
Breathitt-14
DevilsWin Wrote:But can Belfry defend the pass?

Ask Somerset.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Sounds like Breathitt went back to what they have done well in years past when they needed the points. They do not have to run the ball much to win, the pass is good enough to keep the score close and the defense should be able to stop a one demintional offense, if not, then they do not deserve to go to Louisville. Breathitt is best when they spread the field with 4-5 receivers and not when they try gadget formations like the Utah Option. I know Belfry can stop the run, and can stop the pass to an extent, but Breathitt knows how Belfry plays and will run what has worked for them against the pirates in the past. It should be a close game IMO.

For Breathitt to win the game...they must be able to run the ball. If they have to rely on the passing game......No chance.
I see Belfry coming out with a win, but would love to see Breathitt beat Belfry.
Im gonna have to take Belfry all the way on this one, not that breathitt is a bad team, its not that at all, no 13-0 team is bad its just that its AT BELFRY!!! that is always a big difference when playing belfry, because when you have to go there u know you are in for a game when you step onto the field...

I agree, they may be the best team in 3A, but in the state, I don't think so. St. X and Highlands are ligitimate 1 and 2. In that order.