Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the most surprising team this year?
We are just past the mid way point in the season, so who is the most surprising team so far?
Prestonsburg, Paintsville, or Sheldon Clark.
LCC Cougars
Pike Central Hawks.... They haven't played this well in a while
Perry Central, they havent won 3 games in the last 3 years combined also LCC is surprising after gettin crush by Hazard.Another thing surprsing is Ashland only winning one game so far.
I gotta say that Ashland is the most surprising to me.
Haha well I thought you meant suprising in a good way...
A Blessing & A Curse Wrote:Haha well I thought you meant suprising in a good way...

LOL... I meant "surprising" as a good thing and a bad thing. I guess I should have elaborated a little more. Cool
Oh, can't forget Hazard.
George Rogers Clark ! They had something like 22 Seniors coming back this year. They have won only 1 game.......surprising
What about Shelby Valley they have only lost to Belfry and Knox 2 pretty good team. Somebody mention Pike Central and Valley beat them soundly.
cats 6969 Wrote:What about Shelby Valley they have only lost to Belfry and Knox 2 pretty good team. Somebody mention Pike Central and Valley beat them soundly.

I think if Shelby Valley and Pike Central were to play again that it would have a totally different outcome. Pike Central is just a much better team now than they where in week one.
Fairview!
SV has surprised me most this year. Also ER is improving a lot way better than I expected.
A Blessing & A Curse Wrote:Prestonsburg, Paintsville, or Sheldon Clark.

Paintsville???? Their wins are over Phelps, South Floyd, Allen Central, and Betsy Lane. Come on...you could get 11 men from a rest home and beat those four teams!!
Pulaski Co. is undefeated so far this year. They are for real this season. They sure have suprised me this year.
Also Fulton City!
bball fan Wrote:Paintsville???? Their wins are over Phelps, South Floyd, Allen Central, and Betsy Lane. Come on...you could get 11 men from a rest home and beat those four teams!!

I agree. I could take random people out of the a high school and come close to beating some of those teams.
blackcat_student Wrote:I think if Shelby Valley and Pike Central were to play again that it would have a totally different outcome. Pike Central is just a much better team now than they where in week one.

Are you implying that the score would now be reversed, with Pike Central blowing out Shelby Valley instead? If so, I would have to emphatically disagree with that. Central may be much improved from the start of the season, but Valley hasn't taken any steps backward either. They are currently 4-2, with 1 of the losses being a competitive game against a tough Knox Central team currently ranked #8 in class 4A.

I would grant that the game would probably be a lot closer if they played again, though. I was shocked at the margin Valley won by in week 1, I had expected a tight game between two evenly matched teams. If they played again, we would have a good chance to get that close game we all expected.

With Valley sitting at 4-2 and Central at 4-3, both teams have had good seasons so far.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blitz43 Wrote:George Rogers Clark ! They had something like 22 Seniors coming back this year. They have won only 1 game.......surprising
Well they have lost their first 5 games by around a combined 17 points, tough luck
A Blessing & A Curse Wrote:Prestonsburg, Paintsville, or Sheldon Clark.
Paintsville has beaten maybe the four of the worst teams in the state. SouthFloyd is a pretty well-coached team and are decent and hard to pull away from, you will see a lot about them with their remaining schedule.
More Cowbell Wrote:Are you implying that the score would now be reversed, with Pike Central blowing out Shelby Valley instead? If so, I would have to emphatically disagree with that. Central may be much improved from the start of the season, but Valley hasn't taken any steps backward either. They are currently 4-2, with 1 of the losses being a competitive game against a tough Knox Central team currently ranked #8 in class 4A.

I would grant that the game would probably be a lot closer if they played again, though. I was shocked at the margin Valley won by in week 1, I had expected a tight game between two evenly matched teams. If they played again, we would have a good chance to get that close game we all expected.

With Valley sitting at 4-2 and Central at 4-3, both teams have had good seasons so far.

28-7 is not a competitive game. Might be competitive for SV, but not here in the real world.

And 4A isn't even that strong this year. Overall, 3A is stronger than 4A.
What about Letcher co Central aren't they like 6-1 on the year ? I thought they was going to be week this season just by reading several post on here before the season got started . I personally don't know anything about them but I know they wasn't getting much respected at first but it looks like they have turned that around now.
mrfootball03 Wrote:28-7 is not a competitive game. Might be competitive for SV, but not here in the real world.

And 4A isn't even that strong this year. Overall, 3A is stronger than 4A.

Don't make comments about things you know nothing about. Anyone with any knowledge of sports knows that the final score does not always tell how competitive a game actually was. Were you at the Valley-Knox game? If not, then you have no idea how the game actually unfolded. I was at the game, and I can tell you that Valley kept the game close most of the night. Valley actually led at the half, and it was a 14-7 game until about 6 minutes to go. I think most people would agree that constitutes a good, competitive game.

And what are you talking about saying that 4A isn't very good? Bell County and Lexington Catholic not good enough for you? Knox Central is a strong team, as evidenced by their earlier 15-0 shutout of Rockcastle. No one expected Shelby Valley to beat them, and I was impressed they were able to hang with Knox as long as they did.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Don't make comments about things you know nothing about. Anyone with any knowledge of sports knows that the final score does not always tell how competitive a game actually was. Were you at the Valley-Knox game? If not, then you have no idea how the game actually unfolded. I was at the game, and I can tell you that Valley kept the game close most of the night. Valley actually led at the half, and it was a 14-7 game until about 6 minutes to go. I think most people would agree that constitutes a good, competitive game.

And what are you talking about saying that 4A isn't very good? Bell County and Lexington Catholic not good enough for you? Knox Central is a strong team, as evidenced by their earlier 15-0 shutout of Rockcastle. No one expected Shelby Valley to beat them, and I was impressed they were able to hang with Knox as long as they did.

Never said 4A teams weren't any good. Just that overall, 3A is stronger. Belfry is better than Lexington Catholic, Bell Co. vs. Belfry would be a good game, and a toss up. Russell, would give all the 4A teams all they could handle too. And thats just not politically correcet, seeing these are larger 4A schools, they should be easily better than 3A teams.

Oh, and about SV/Knox game, I listened to it, anytime you get beat 3 touchdowns, isn't a competitive game. SV should have finished the game, its a game of 4 quarters, don't brag how close you were at a point. No, no one expected them to win, and they didn't.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Oh, and about SV/Knox game, I listened to it, anytime you get beat 3 touchdowns, isn't a competitive game. SV should have finished the game, its a game of 4 quarters, don't brag how close you were at a point. No, no one expected them to win, and they didn't.

Either you didn't listen to the first three quarters, or else you have a very unusual definition of what constitutes a 'competitive' game. The final score does not always tell you how competitive any game of any sport is. It might, and it might not. What about a baseball game that is tied through 8 innings, then one team scores ten runs in the ninth and wins by that margin? If you looked at the final score and said, "Wow, that game wasn't competitive at all," then you'd be wrong. The final score may not have been close, but the majority of the game was, which makes it a 'competitive' game.

Same principle applies here. Valley led at halftime, and was only down a TD most of the second half. That means that several times in the half they had the ball with the chance to go down the field and tie it. The fact that they didn't underscores the fact that Knox had a tough defense and was the better team, but doesn't change the fact that this was a competitive game.

Why would you say SV should have finished the game? That would imply that Valley was the favored team and should've won, which is not the case. SV kept this game much closer than anyone expected. While the last 6 minutes were all Knox, the first 3 1/2 quarters were quite competitive. It's not bragging to say you are proud of how one team played against a superior opponent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bath county
blackcat_student Wrote:I think if Shelby Valley and Pike Central were to play again that it would have a totally different outcome. Pike Central is just a much better team now than they where in week one.

And you don't think Valley is a better team than they were in week one?