Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-Rock: Why is it called Z-rock?
Why is the station z-rock 107.5 call z-ROCK when all they play is rap and pop music. If you are lucky you may catch a Godsmack song every few days but other than that it is nothing but ©rap and pop music. When I was at school in Lexington the Z-rock station always played freakin Rock or metal or something of that type of music. Here in Pikeville that is not the case. That is the reason I just listen to my CDs in the car instead of the radio.

I just wanted to know what every one thought? ( and for me to vent)
I lay in bed wondering about that.
A dude do you know how to edit the thread title?
I am so sorry about the title. I must be getting pretty tired to let that slip by.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:A dude do you know how to edit the thread title?
I am so sorry about the title. I must be getting pretty tired to let that slip by.

yea click edit on the post if its not there you will have to wait til one of the mods fixes it.
Thanks man!
BTW do you get frustrated just listening to the radio around here? I love rock music so I can't stomach all the rap that they play.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Thanks man!
BTW do you get frustrated just listening to the radio around here? I love rock music so I can't stomach all the rap that they play.

Yea i get frustrated sometimes, im awlays thinking when is something good gonna play but than i think thank god for itunes lol. Im not one for rap either some people like it but I dont
warriorpride Wrote:Yea i get frustrated sometimes, im awlays thinking when is something good gonna play but than i think thank god for itunes lol. Im not one for rap either some people like it but I dont

Man my girlfriend loves that crap (however she will also listen to metallica and Dreamtheater with me :Thumbs: . I just don't see how it is musical or anything. You do not have to have talent to make rap music lol plain and simple.

Anyways, the only rock music I hear on there is Godsmack which I am not complaining about I just wish they would play more!
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Man my girlfriend loves that crap (however she will also listen to metallica and Dreamtheater with me :Thumbs: . I just don't see how it is musical or anything. You do not have to have talent to make rap music lol plain and simple.

Anyways, the only rock music I hear on there is Godsmack which I am not complaining about I just wish they would play more!

Well some good music playes sometime late at night rarely, u might be able to catch 107.5 play a good rock tune here and there.
You'll catch some in the evenings at times on 103.1 the Mix, but I like a little older Rock too.
Ive always said that rap music is performed by people born without musical talent. None of them play instraments. And its just freakin noise. Im a rocker too. I love all the 70s, some 80s and 90s stuff. As well as the stuff of today. However if anybodys up for some Justin Timberlake, Fergie, Black Eyed Peas, or Maroon 5, tune in to any radio station around here. ITS ALL THEY PLAY. I hate that crap too. Thats why this area is so left in the dark when it comes to new stuff. I actually heard Wolfmother on one station, and almost wrecked. And what was funny, when I got to work, one of my older buddies was like "man who sings that Woman song"...I had to tell him that I bought that CD over a year and a half ago, lol..however, if your a Nickelback fan, they play the freakin crap out of whatever single they release though.
They have rap on the station because they believe there isn't a big enough market to just play rock music.

I know some of you may disagree...but this is why they have so much of the rap/hip hop on there from what I've been told by people who work at the stations.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have just totally cut out the radio all together. I got XM. No more commercials and so many stations to choose from! You also get all the newest songs thats just been released (Way before local stations) I'll never go back to listening to the radio. I would recommend this to anyone!
There is no reason at all it should be called Z-Rock, especially considering there is a Z-Rock in Lexington that actually plays rock music. Smooth move by the braintrust behind 107.5 Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:They have rap on the station because they believe there isn't a big enough market to just play rock music.

I know some of you may disagree...but this is why they have so much of the rap/hip hop on there from what I've been told by people who work at the stations.

I agree, that's probably the reason why there isn't an all-the-time rock station around here. You have to pay the bills, too, and there are a lot more teenyboppers who listen to Justin Timberlake, than there are metalheads like me. You have to go with what gets the best ratings, it's just a shame that the majority of listeners around here like that crap.

When I lived in Lexington it was awesome, they had Z-Rock 103.3 as well as Double-Q 100.1, which both played a mix of old and new rock/metal. I always just switched back and forth between the two!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hate the 107.5 station. They advertise that they play rock music all the time but all I hear is crap that little kids listen to. Thats the very reason that the Godsmack concert at East Ky Expo wasnt as crowded as I thought it should have been. There arent enough metal heads around like me and the rest of u that are complaining about the station. That and eastern ky and other areas of ky are bluegrass and gospel oriented. Another reason I hate this part of the state. Now in no way am I bashing that kind of music, all Im saying is that it dominates this area and there are more people that listen to it than hard rock/metal, also those kind of people are the reason we dont get many rock acts around here. I hope everyone understands what I am saying with all this. I think I will get xm radio as soon as I can, I hear great things about it, especially if it has no commercials and stations designed for fans of hard rock/metal music. The only way to get it on the radio is to take a trip to lexington, they have plenty stations for rock music. Thats the only thing I like about taking a trip to lexington. Not saying lexington is bad place, its just such a long drive from here.
I wouldn't say that bluegrass and gospel are the dominant music in Eastern KY. I would say that country music is. I would actually be willing to bet that more people listen to rock/rap than they do bluegrass nowadays.

Here's a rundown of what I think the market is probably like:

1. country music
2. pop music (hip hop, popular music)
3. rock
4. christian/gospel
5. oldies
6. bluegrass
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:I wouldn't say that bluegrass and gospel are the dominant music in Eastern KY. I would say that country music is. I would actually be willing to bet that more people listen to rock/rap than they do bluegrass nowadays.

Here's a rundown of what I think the market is probably like:

1. country music
2. pop music (hip hop, popular music)
3. rock
4. christian/gospel
5. oldies
6. bluegrass

Believe it or not on a national basis I think the two top formats are "talk radio" and "Country"
Yeah I would say so, but I was thinking more towards the Eastern KY region.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
XM's all I got to say.
Well if you think 107.5 plays a lot of rap you're mistaken. I get sick of them not playing it. I love rap and they never play like any new or good rap. all they will play are the rap songs that crack the TRL top ten. Listen to 107.9 in in lexington and thats a good rap & r&b station.
HJey I heard a good song on the radio the other day It was called Lips of an angle by hinder, It's so good. Can't belive Ive never heard it before.....Ok seriously I hate that song I hear 5000000000000 times a day! And I hate all the stations around here. Unless I'm wanting to hear some country. But 107.5 needs to play some new rock and some new rap!
Yeah they need to change the name from Z-Rock. I listen to 103.1 in the mornins just to hear the Bob and Tom show. I never turn it to 107.5 anymore cause they don't play any rock. I listen to the country stations or my CD's.
Becuase of the local radio stations is why I now have SIRIUS Radio. Z-Rap 107.5 Stinks!!!
I have sirius radio and I love it. I like it a lot better than xm. I'm with the rest of you. There just wasn't enought rock and country stations around here for me. Sirius raido is awesome.
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
Panther Thunder Wrote:Well if you think 107.5 plays a lot of rap you're mistaken. I get sick of them not playing it. I love rap and they never play like any new or good rap. all they will play are the rap songs that crack the TRL top ten. Listen to 107.9 in in lexington and thats a good rap & r&b station.

When the station plays music that I can't understand the context to, that is most likely to be call 'rap' and YES they play alot of it. How can you stand listening to rap. when it takes NO MUSICAL ability at all to make it. I don't even achknowledge it as a music form because you let the computer make up the freakin beat.
BTW What the heck all this slang in these songs.
Dude to say that rappers have no musical talent is crazy. Just becuase they use computers to make the beat doesnt mean its not a talent. Lets see you listen to a beat for a few seconds and then start freestyling its way more complex then just saying a few rhymes and i think you should give rap more credit then your giving it. And yes they need more rock on Z-Rock
This is why I have my ipod hooked up in my car. I rarely if ever listen to the radio, I'd rather listen to a cd I bought or songs I put on my ipod that way I can listen to whatever I want, whenever I want and update it as much as I want for free. Someone mentioned putting Sirius radio in my car but I won't let them, I just don't like it and it's too hard to find what I'm looking for when I can just download it myself, put it on my ipod and it's right there whenever I want to listen to it. Radio stations these days suck in my opinion. Even the country stations aren't doing it for me anymore.
It's called Z Rock because it will put you to sleep.

:zzz:
LOL good one, rap is alright...... but you can't never say it dosen't take talent to play rock and metal pick up GH2 and play expert and thats with only 5 frets most rock and metal guitarist are really talented........lol could you imagine playing rap on guitar hero how boring........lol
Thorn67 Wrote:Dude to say that rappers have no musical talent is crazy. Just becuase they use computers to make the beat doesnt mean its not a talent. Lets see you listen to a beat for a few seconds and then start freestyling its way more complex then just saying a few rhymes and i think you should give rap more credit then your giving it. And yes they need more rock on Z-Rock

I would just call that ability..ability to rhyme and talk. The lyrics don't even make sense most of the time. Man I just have a different opinion of what MUSICAL talent is. Rapping does not involve pitch, tone, or general singing so it is not like being a signer for a band. It is just having the ability to talk fast and rhyme.

Remember that is just my opinion don't freak out or anything.