Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR:J.R. Vanhoose to be named head coach of the Phelps Lady Hornets
NEXT Wrote:Giving him a chance, but this super has hired over 60 people since being hired and if you were a non-tenured teacher and read this what would you think?

Well from the way it sounds they are getting rid of teachers and one coach is leaving. So they hired a new coach, which the position will be open if the current one leaves. So you think the teachers will be mad cause they didn't get the job as coach? They have no reason to be mad, cause it is a totally different position. :thumpsup:
This thread is not about teacher layoffs or the superintendant...stay on topic please.

BTW...the JR Vanhoose to Phelps article in the "Big Sandy News" has already been dicmissed as unsubstantiated rumor.
Here is an article:

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...rumors.txt
Thanks Fox Sports!!! Smile
Why in the world would J.R. go to Phelps?? Say it ain't so JR!!
bball fan Wrote:Why in the world would J.R. go to Phelps?? Say it ain't so JR!!

Pardon me for asking BUT... what in the heck is wrong with Phelps?? Some of you seem to LOVE to dog them out on here as if they are nothing!! These kids are the ONLY group/school who have not consolidated (within the county) with other schools and still compete in sports AND academics. IF JR choses to come to Phelps OR if he is hired there, AND he accepts the position (mind you I did say IF).... I'm sure he will be satisfied!!!

BUT......According to what I have been told as of now (Fox Sports posted the link).... EVERYTHING thus far is rumors....
phs1986 Wrote:Pardon me for asking BUT... what in the heck is wrong with Phelps?? Some of you seem to LOVE to dog them out on here as if they are nothing!! These kids are the ONLY group/school who have not consolidated (within the county) with other schools and still compete in sports AND academics. IF JR choses to come to Phelps OR if he is hired there, AND he accepts the position (mind you I did say IF).... I'm sure he will be satisfied!!!

BUT......According to what I have been told as of now (Fox Sports posted the link).... EVERYTHING thus far is rumors....

I don't think he is blasting Phelps at all.

It is just different that someone would leave a top 3 boys program every year in the 15th to coach a girls program that has had little to no success in the 15th quite some time. I am sure he thinks he can succeed though and I am sure that his wife would like to get back home.

I believe it is a great hire for Pike Co. and Phelps if it does come to pass but the timing may be a little off.....

And by the way Belfry High School hasn't combined with anyone since 1950......
NEXT Wrote:And by the way Belfry High School hasn't combined with anyone since 1950......
except Mingo County....Big Grin

Sorry guys, couldn't resist...JUST KIDDING.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:except Mingo County....Big Grin

LMAO..... that WAS a good one Fox....

AND... as far as Belfry not combining with anyone since 1950.... WHAT did they do just a couple of years ago at the middle school level??? Doesn't Turkey Creek, Bevins, Runyon, Blackberry and whoever else NOW go to Belfry middle from grades 6th thru 8??? They were combined to make Belfry Middle....Phelps High School has Phelps Elementary and Majestic Elementary (who BTW only has around 130 enrollment)....... Not b*tching but.... Oh well...... maybe I'm wrong... if so .... let me know!!! Smile
phs1986 Wrote:LMAO..... that WAS a good one Fox....

AND... as far as Belfry not combining with anyone since 1950.... WHAT did they do just a couple of years ago at the middle school level??? Doesn't Turkey Creek, Bevins, Runyon, Blackberry and whoever else NOW go to Belfry middle from grades 6th thru 8??? They were combined to make Belfry Middle....Phelps High School has Phelps Elementary and Majestic Elementary (who BTW only has around 130 enrollment)....... Not b*tching but.... Oh well...... maybe I'm wrong... if so .... let me know!!! Smile

Yes, but they were feeder schools and would have gone to Belfry in the 9th anyway...they just moved it up a couple years.
Phoenix Wrote:Yes, but they were feeder schools and would have gone to Belfry in the 9th anyway...they just moved it up a couple years.

:confused: what is it with you and belfry???? every time YOU need an example of other schools to compare with phelps YOU use belfry .....hmmmmmm
waterbucket#00 Wrote::confused: what is it with you and belfry???? every time YOU need an example of other schools to compare with phelps YOU use belfry .....hmmmmmm

Dude, I think YOU are quoting the wrong user here.
Phoenix Wrote:Dude, I think YOU are quoting the wrong user here.

LMAO... he meant it for me!! I'm not dogging Belfry by no means... My hubby attended there and I LOVE the kids there. My son has some great friends from Belfry.... WHAT I meant to say.... (In case I wasn't clearly stating it).... is that PHELPS is the ONLY school that has not been "interlinked" with other schools INCLUDING feeder schools. All they have is what is at Majestic/Phelps Elementary. PHELPS seems to get dogged on here by a certain few at every chance they get. Give the kids a break!! Believe me... they deserve it!!!
waterbucket#00 Wrote::confused: what is it with you and belfry???? every time YOU need an example of other schools to compare with phelps YOU use belfry .....hmmmmmm

OH... BTW.... evidently you haven't read ALL of my posts.... check your info before you start dissin on me!!! Big Grin

Good one......but this will shock you and you will not believe it

6 kids pay tuition that go to the Middle School, while 13 go to the High School at Belfry

Pikeville Independent has a total of 323 kids that come to their school from the Pike County district alone, not counting kids from other counties like Floyd, Johnson, and Letcher. That is about 1/3 of their TOTAL enrollment.............

Later tonight I'll post how many kids go to Phelps and pay tuition from Mingo County, and some of you guys will cry...........
NEXT Wrote:Good one......but this will shock you and you will not believe it

6 kids pay tuition that go to the Middle School, while 13 go to the High School at Belfry

Pikeville Independent has a total of 323 kids that come to their school from the Pike County district alone, not counting kids from other counties like Floyd, Johnson, and Letcher. That is about 1/3 of their TOTAL enrollment.............

Later tonight I'll post how many kids go to Phelps and pay tuition from Mingo County, and some of you guys will cry...........

My kids attend Phelps and as far as I know..... there are NO kids from the Mingo County area. Phelps is such a small school you know almost all the kids. I do also "volunteer" at the school on a regular basis and I am an employee of the BOE so ...... if you don't mind... fill me in!!! LOLOL..... I would love to know if there are any at PHS who are out of state!!
phs1986 Wrote:My kids attend Phelps and as far as I know..... there are NO kids from the Mingo County area. Phelps is such a small school you know almost all the kids. I do also "volunteer" at the school on a regular basis and I am an employee of the BOE so ...... if you don't mind... fill me in!!! LOLOL..... I would love to know if there are any at PHS who are out of state!!

Last year I'm pretty sure there were 7, that being from K-12 in the Phelps district but this year I'll have to check......

Oh and good luck with JR I hope he has great success at PHS
NEXT Wrote:Last year I'm pretty sure there were 7, that being from K-12 in the Phelps district but this year I'll have to check......

Oh and good luck with JR I hope he has great success at PHS

HUM...... I work in the K-6th and I didn't know there was any Mingo county kids.... I can tell ya EVERY kid in that school!!! LOLOL....
NEXT Wrote:Good one......but this will shock you and you will not believe it

I dont know the exact numbers, but I would be willing to bet that out of the 323 from the Pike County school district, that less than 20 play sports. So it sounds like maybe some people change schools for other reasons besides sports. I bet the numbers are basically the same for the other schools in the district. I know Belfry, Pike County Central Shelby Valley, and East Ridge has students that are not in their school district.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
bball fan Wrote:Why in the world would J.R. go to Phelps?? Say it ain't so JR!!

I would think maybe to make a name for himself as a head coach. A lot of coaches like to take on a challenge.
Good luck to him and to his lovely wife. We will miss them.
NEXT Wrote:Giving him a chance, but this super has hired over 60 people since being hired and if you were a non-tenured teacher and read this what would you think?
I agree with your statement totally. he is a fine man and is exactly the man for this job. Oops I accidentally posted this to the wrong quote which I guess is obvious.
The Private Wrote:I for one will give him a chance the county is better off with him.I have family in Pike County and they seem to be real happy with him.
I agree with you, Private

By Belfry, do you mean the Tug Valley Allstars?
crawdad Wrote:By Belfry, do you mean the Tug Valley Allstars?

That sure was a classy response, what school do you support c-dad?
I talked to a guy from Phelps the other day and he said Clay may be moving over to the Girls and JR will take the Boys. Just hearsay though!
thepharmacist Wrote:I talked to a guy from Phelps the other day and he said Clay may be moving over to the Girls and JR will take the Boys. Just hearsay though!

DEFINATLY hearsay!!! Who was your source if you don't mind spilling the beans??
thepharmacist Wrote:I talked to a guy from Phelps the other day and he said Clay may be moving over to the Girls and JR will take the Boys. Just hearsay though!

I have heard the same thing. It may happen.
I heard the same thing
Weird, phs1986.... I have been here the whole time, teach across the hall from Clay, and he hasn't mentioned it to me, how about you?
PHS95 Wrote:Weird, phs1986.... I have been here the whole time, teach across the hall from Clay, and he hasn't mentioned it to me, how about you?

You might teach across the hall from Clay, but he may be trying to keep this quiet. Little secrets always get out. I know he has an interest. Not saying it is definite, but it is a possibility.