Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting at Va. Tech
Beef Wrote:Are you talking about the video from the phone? If so, then the cops were still moving into position to make a run on the building. You see them advancing toward the building but being careful to try to keep cover so that they don't get shot. And not knowing where the shooter is, it is hard to watch all the windows. Vests don't stop a shot to the head/neck.

I agree. They also had no clue how many shooters there were either. Lots of factors in this one, and it's really hard to blame the police for not storming in there without even thinking about it.

People need to realize that nothing of this magnitude has ever happened in the history of the United States.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Only thing I witnessed from the phone video was 2 cops standing behind a tree and another behind a truck, they all just stand there until shots are firing, then the 3rd cop moves up, about 15 more shots go off and then they make forward movement. I would figure the police would have this place sealed off a long time ago since 2 hours previous someone was killed and the shooter was on the loose. You needed to have a total lock down and search of every building on the campus and a perimeter set up.

No, I don't have experience with this stuff, but my cousin is active Military Police and has to deal with this kind of stuff all the time, and through his 2 tours in Iraq. I have heard over and over how a situation like this is supposed to be handled.

Sorry if you guys feel differently, but I know that every building should have been searched within the hour of the shooting and this would have been prevented with a patrol of police roaming every building on campus for the rest of the day. It's not like they were in Virgie, KY where police would have taken a long time to respond, this could have been easily avoided but the wrong steps were taken.

And about not knowing how many shooters were in the building. I honestly feel that it doesn't matter, police are supposed to protect and serve, as soon as they felt a good amount of force was on hand, which should have been 30 minutes after a killing on a college campus, the entire campus should have been rushed with swat and police, you can see these police weren't just chasing someone down, they were armed and ready to take someone down, but ended up just carrying bodies out.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Only thing I witnessed from the phone video was 2 cops standing behind a tree and another behind a truck, they all just stand there until shots are firing, then the 3rd cop moves up, about 15 more shots go off and then they make forward movement. I would figure the police would have this place sealed off a long time ago since 2 hours previous someone was killed and the shooter was on the loose. You needed to have a total lock down and search of every building on the campus and a perimeter set up.

No, I don't have experience with this stuff, but my cousin is active Military Police and has to deal with this kind of stuff all the time, and through his 2 tours in Iraq. I have heard over and over how a situation like this is supposed to be handled.

Sorry if you guys feel differently, but I know that every building should have been searched within the hour of the shooting and this would have been prevented with a patrol of police roaming every building on campus for the rest of the day. It's not like they were in Virgie, KY where police would have taken a long time to respond, this could have been easily avoided but the wrong steps were taken.

And about not knowing how many shooters were in the building. I honestly feel that it doesn't matter, police are supposed to protect and serve, as soon as they felt a good amount of force was on hand, which should have been 30 minutes after a killing on a college campus, the entire campus should have been rushed with swat and police, you can see these police weren't just chasing someone down, they were armed and ready to take someone down, but ended up just carrying bodies out.
Considering they were talking to there only 'person of interest' (the man who witnesses said did the first shooting), they didn't feel the need to search the other buildings. And with I believe 2,600 acres and 100's of buildings, that is easier said then done.

This was a tragedy, but was it handled in the right way? As of now, to me it seems. Police never rush into a building that has gun fire coming out of it. Maybe a SWAT team with full body armor, but not a normal patrol man. Find out information about anything similar, I don't believe that the first responders swarmed the building immediately.
VHSL-helper Wrote:And what's all this stuff about students being locked (chained) in Norris? Half a dozen of 'em have said this. Come on, heads, do a LITTLE thinking. Were the chains meat to keep people IN? I Don't THINK So.

Eye witness reports say that the shooter did indeed chain two classroom doors so that students could not get out while he was walking the hall.
A Doctor from the Montgomery Regional Hospital said "There wasn't a victim with less than 3 gunshot wounds"
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here is a link to the school web paper. If this falls under a rules violation please remove.

http://www.planetblacksburg.com/
CBS just had a press release announcing the shooter, his name was Cho Seung-Hui.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hope congress does not start blaming gun owners for this congress is the ones who took prayer out schools and let the devil in.
ComfortEagle Wrote:CBS just had a press release announcing the shooter, his name was Seung Hui Cho.
From South Korea

And world news has already started blaming the right to bear arms for this. There was an article in a London England paper covering the topic.
I pray for the families.
I read most of the posts, but didn't see this, so sorry if it's already been said.......

We were talking in class and the professor and a few students said that it's the biggest mass murder in United States history. I don't know how true it is, but every occurance that they mentioned, including Columbine, didn't have as many killed as this instance.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Well to give a little professional insight. and being one that was trained to responded to school shootings. From what I have seen and heard they (police) were doing what they were trained. They are trained to go toward the shots and at a slow but quick pace. And if they encounter wounded or unwounded they are told to head toward the exit were other are waiting to get them to saftey. So it could take a longer if there is a lot of open doors. Ok then you have to taken in the stairways. Theres a certain way that they have to climb the stairs that takes even longer. So its not they just rush in and get the bad guy. And usually its one 6 man team that goes in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Also if they encounter a open door along the way they have to search that room on the way even if the shooting is still going on to make sure they are not going to get jumped from someone in the the room.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:From South Korea

And world news has already started blaming the right to bear arms for this. There was an article in a London England paper covering the topic.
Dr. Phil said last night that part of the problem is violent video games. I wondered when they would hit on them again.

Prayers for the Hoakies
BFritz Wrote:I read most of the posts, but didn't see this, so sorry if it's already been said.......

We were talking in class and the professor and a few students said that it's the biggest mass murder in United States history. I don't know how true it is, but every occurance that they mentioned, including Columbine, didn't have as many killed as this instance.

Up until now the worst was at Texas university in the 80's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Only thing I witnessed from the phone video was 2 cops standing behind a tree and another behind a truck, they all just stand there until shots are firing, then the 3rd cop moves up, about 15 more shots go off and then they make forward movement. I would figure the police would have this place sealed off a long time ago since 2 hours previous someone was killed and the shooter was on the loose. You needed to have a total lock down and search of every building on the campus and a perimeter set up.

Read my post it explains it a little bit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Authorities evacuated buildings Tuesday at St. Edward's University after a threatening note was found.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/17/univers...index.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here are profiles of some of the victims...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18143312/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
On Yahoo's homepage, they have the picture of the killer, and it says "Quiet Student, Campus Killer." That's the type of thing that pisses me off: they're trying to make it more of a drama-filled movie type thing than just the story. Don't get me wrong, it's horrible and everyone should know about it, but they're glorrifying the story.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Here's some more info. on the shooter. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18148802/

They said he had been referred to the school's couseling service after some creating writing of his that was very disturbing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BFritz Wrote:I read most of the posts, but didn't see this, so sorry if it's already been said.......

It is by like 8-10 deaths.
Here is a great article about this take time to read it and look at the images.
http://emsresponder.com/article/article....=1&id=5191
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Eye witness reports say that the shooter did indeed chain two classroom doors so that students could not get out while he was walking the hall.

Not CLASSROOM doors - building doors. That's why officers were "standing around outside" while the shooting was happening - they couldn't get into Norris Hall because the building doors were chained shut from the inside.

I don't remember how the doors at Norris are, but if they're like Burruss next door, it's 2 doors side-by-side, like we have at Grundy. From the inside, you open the door by pushing on a bar that runs across the door about waist high. An 8' chain can be wrapped around the handles to lock the doors from the inside.

Chaining classroom doors would have been too time consuming and served no purpose. Chaining them before he opened fire would have greatly limited his "impact area"... afterward would have been too time consuming and not really necessary. Diff. people have said he walked into the classrooms or came back to a classroom when he heard people talking.
This is so scary and so sad.

Since Monday, threats have happened in 10 different states:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_o...6OnIqm1OFF
[B]Go Lady Vols! [/B]
I think the shooting at the university in Texas had around 18 victims. I could be mistaken but for some reason that is the figure that is jumping out at me.

Like Cali mentioned, I know of one this morning when a university in Texas was on lockdown because of threats and such. When the nation/schools are most vulnerable to believe this stuff is when students will start doing STUPID stuff to get out of tests/class. Pitiful.

15thRegionCrazy Wrote:A Doctor from the Montgomery Regional Hospital said "There wasn't a victim with less than 3 gunshot wounds"

X 50 victims - sounds like 150 or so bullets met flesh. So he prob.fired, what, 200 rounds, at least?

Let me continue my rant against CNN. The more I watch, the madder I get. They have video from all of these "affiliates", yet they can't seem to keep up with the facts. Was watching Nancy grace tonight and they were clueless about the 2nd gun being purchased at a local pawn shop a week or 2 ago - that came out this afternoon sometime. And a caller asked about the 1st victim being the gunman's girlfriend. To me, that was cleared up last night, when they said the person of interest that police were talking to when Norris happened was her boyfriend. Today, it starting to sound like she his latest obsession.
You can read his plays/stories here...
>>LINK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sounds like most of the damage was done to students in a foreign language class (German or French).
This is what one of his classmates from last fall said....
"When I first heard about the multiple shootings at Virginia Tech yesterday, my first thought was about my friends, and my second thought was "I bet it was Seung Cho."

After reading the plays I understand why they thought it was him... his teacher had told the school admin. about him but there wasn't really much they could do... you can't force somebody to see a counselor.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
In 2005 the police were called about Cho Seung-Hui after a student rejected his attempts at establishing contact with her by phone. She didn't file any charges though because she said he was just annoying. He voluntarily admitted himself into a mental health facility to be evaluated so it didn't show up on his records when he purchased the guns. (If you go voluntarily it doesn't show up on a background check, if you are taken involuntarily it will).

There is also new details about when the P22 was purchased... he had ordered it online on Feb. 9th to be delivered to the dealer where he picked it up at.

I just heard this on the news... more details should be out a little later on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]