Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retire Tubby's Jersey?
Should Tubby be in the rafters at Rupp? I would say yes, I mean he did win a national championship (the other 3 coaches are hanging high above) and has a .700+ Winning percentage.

http://www.kentucky.com/287/story/41402.html
Yes it should, and it will be in due time. I wouldn't imagine anytime soon but it will 100% be there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Why should Tubby's jersey be retired??
yeah and they should retire Orbzut's jersey while were at it. maybe even sal's as long as tubbys is goin up.
Yes. It would be a fitting closure for Tubby, although I don't see it happening anytime soon because of the tension that was built up from the last couple of seasons.
I don't think so..Well maybe I do and don't. I can see why they would I guess but really feel that Tubby declined the program, but that is just my opinion.
I can see both sides of the argument. He deserves it as far as his positive statistics go but there are so many negative ones as well. I think the damper that he put on the program in the last few years is enough to keep him out but .700+ winning percentage, being one of the winning coaches, etc. etc. will probably get it up there in some time. I don't think with his departure, Billy G. coming in and all of the fuss that has happened lately will get it up there anytime soon.

After thinking about it, I can see his jersey retired, but no time soon. Maybe after the program has rebounded and is rebuilt again. In the meantime, I would find it perfectly OK to put up a plaque in his honor above a urinal in one of the restrooms.
^ Lol!

Not aftert he way he weasled around for 6 weeks trying to find a new job before ending up in Minnesotta. If he would have graciously stepped down in an emotional press conference then I would say Yes. But now, NO!
The man was a great coach....so why not retire his jersey?
I believe they will study about this for a few years.
venom93 Wrote:After thinking about it, I can see his jersey retired, but no time soon. Maybe after the program has rebounded and is rebuilt again. In the meantime, I would find it perfectly OK to put up a plaque in his honor above a urinal in one of the restrooms.

That's right up there with "Eddie Sutton toliet paper". Smile
jammin' jamey Wrote:That's right up there with "Eddie Sutton toliet paper". Smile
Smile
I can see why they would put it up there but i dont think that KY will put it up there
braves_fan_10 Wrote:The man was a great coach....so why not retire his jersey?

Amazing coach?? He won one National Title, and that was with Pitino's players, now the program's not even considered one of the nation's elite
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Every other coach that won us a championship is up there, as should Ole' Tub.
I think maybe if he had left a couple of years ago and say gone to the NBA..that would have probably been a situation where he would have a banner w/ his name on it put in the rafters...

Don't see it happenin now...hatred has really built up over the last couple of yrs. He stayed too long considering the fact he was unwilling to make changes...
Only problem I have with it is that the national title was won with Pitino's players, not Tubby's. Other than that I'm all for hanging his jersey in Rupp.
Tubby..ehhhh, maybe. But you know who should really have a jersey retired?

Bill Keightley

He's been with the team since 1962 and has been to over 1300 games.

The teams record since Mr. Wildcat has been with the team is 1,023-307.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If memory serves me Keightly already has a banner hangin in Rupp...one he greatly deserved!
I think they should because he won a championship and all..
venom93 Wrote:After thinking about it, I can see his jersey retired, but no time soon. Maybe after the program has rebounded and is rebuilt again. In the meantime, I would find it perfectly OK to put up a plaque in his honor above a urinal in one of the restrooms.

Its funny how we can talk about hanging his jersey in the rafters and someone rebuilding his mess all in the same breath. He did win a championship but he also had the worst back to back years (non probation) in the programs history the last 2 seasons. Or at least as far back as I can remember.
firetubbyplease! Wrote:If memory serves me Keightly already has a banner hangin in Rupp...one he greatly deserved!
I also think Keightly has his jersey retired.
Regardless of who recruited the players, he did win a championship his first year (with a collection of players that was not exactly the most talented team that year, I might add). Even though he allowed the program to go into the toilet the last couple years, I still can't see keeping a guy who won a title out of the rafters.

I was definitely in favor of UK dropping the Tub and getting a new coach, but you still can't ignore the title and the lack of NCAA problems during his time.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeah, give Tubby a banner in the rafters and make sure all the records he set while at UK are on the banner.
1. Longest losing streak in school history to Vanderbilt
2. Longest losing streak in school history to Florida
3. Worst player ever given a scholarship at Ky, Shagari Alleyne
4. Longest streak without making a Final Four
I know I am forgetting many more but heck yeah retire a banner in his name
He won a national championship with Ricky's players. Players who had HEART, DESIRE and a NO QUIT attitude. You think UK would have come back against Duke with the type of players Tubby has recruited, HELL NO. Tubby fans can say what the want, "Tubby won all those SEC championships" and all that BS. BIG DEAL, the SEC is a MUCH better conference now then they were 5 years ago.
Yea I think they should
Redneck Wrote:He won a national championship with Ricky's players. Players who had HEART, DESIRE and a NO QUIT attitude. You think UK would have come back against Duke with the type of players Tubby has recruited, HELL NO. Tubby fans can say what the want, "Tubby won all those SEC championships" and all that BS. BIG DEAL, the SEC is a MUCH better conference now then they were 5 years ago.
I couldnt have said it any better. IN his ten years here we went from winning SEC titles to finishing 4th in the SEC East. That tells you all you need to know.
I think they should. But Im like the rest of everyone else, maybe a few years down the road.