Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best LB's from 06'?
RayRay Wrote:BFritz, do u know where he might be headed for college?

Undecided, but considering Georgetown
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Georgetown would be a good fit. They are always competitive and don't mind going up to play the big boys. They open next season at D1 AA Wofford. They'll do whatever it takes to get them ready for a championship run.
RayRay Wrote:I don't think you can say anybody is "by far" the best. This area is full of good linebackers, and i'm sure that by playing that position that many if not all of them knew their defense like the back of their hand.

Man, you come sit down with wills watch film.Then we can talk he knows everything and watch the game films watch how he go's to the right hole almost everytime wait i can compare someone with him beekman his size him and wills owned. Ok well their may be linebackers taht know their defense like the back of their hand but can they actually exicute as well as he did.
the best linebackers were josh wills and aaron beekman........there is not enough you can say about those two..
A Decent Lineman Wrote:I would say it would be a toss up between Paintsville's Sublett, Tim and Ted Honaker from Pikeville, and Michael Campbell and Bart Teague from Hazard. Like PUNJABI 79 said, the key to hazards season was their defense. But the whole defense contributed, not just the linebackers.

:thumpsup:
footballdaddy10 Wrote:Josh Denkins, senior linebacker from bath county, had over 60 tackles, close to 70, in this past season...those are pretty good numbers...hes not the biggest guy, but he flies to the ball
Hell...I had that many my senior year and had to miss 3 and 1/2 games! And I probably wasn't our best LB.
The Guru Wrote:Hell...I had that many my senior year and had to miss 3 and 1/2 games! And I probably wasn't our best LB.

I agree, when you talk linebackers you should be talking 100+ tackles to be considered decent. I know defensive lineman that put up those kind of stats on a consistent basis in high school. But who am I talk, although Dials from Johnson Central was a DE, he more or less played outside linebacker and according to WYMT he had 47 tackles on the season. He was found on all levels of distinction from all-district to all-state.
The Blue Blur Wrote:I agree, when you talk linebackers you should be talking 100+ tackles to be considered decent. I know defensive lineman that put up those kind of stats on a consistent basis in high school. But who am I talk, although Dials from Johnson Central was a DE, he more or less played outside linebacker and according to WYMT he had 47 tackles on the season. He was found on all levels of distinction from all-district to all-state.
travis gallaher from ashland had 112tackles at the DT position.
Tackett finished the season with 147 total tackles. He now holds the school record for most tackles in a game, season, and career. WOW!!!!
SunDoctor Wrote:Tackett finished the season with 147 total tackles. He now holds the school record for most tackles in a game, season, and career. WOW!!!!

Man that is IMPRESSIVE.

The Wills and Beekman combo from Russell finish up the 06 season with 195 tackles between them. Tyler Jones had 70 and big Seth Harvey had 59.

In 05 it was a Timberlake and Wills duo who finished with 235.
SunDoctor Wrote:Tackett finished the season with 147 total tackles. He now holds the school record for most tackles in a game, season, and career. WOW!!!!

I know you're not correct in saying this, he was out done in the most tackles in a season record not once but twice. In 1973 and 1974, Neil Burchett and Phillip Wireman finished their seasons with 178 and 170 respectively. I don't know how many tackles Michael recorded in a game this year, but the record was held by current Superintendent Steve Trimble with with 24 in 1974 v.s. Leslie County. That same season, current administrator Phillip Wireman recorded 3 20+ tackle games, with two, 22 tackle games v.s. Fairview and M.C. Napier. He also added a 21 tackle performance against Breathitt Co. Scott Salyer finished out his career in 1999 and 2000 with two 100+ tackle seasons, as he had 121 and 104 tackles respectively. I'm not sure on a school record as far as tackles go, but I'd say Scott is pretty close. As to my knowledge he's the only Eagle player to ever record two 100 tackle seasons.
ukno08 Wrote:Man, you come sit down with wills watch film.Then we can talk he knows everything and watch the game films watch how he go's to the right hole almost everytime wait i can compare someone with him beekman his size him and wills owned. Ok well their may be linebackers taht know their defense like the back of their hand but can they actually exicute as well as he did.

You come watch game film with Fields Davis and then you can make a comparison. Davis may be undersized but he gets to the ball like no one else in the area. Three times in his career he has had 19 tackles in a game. Sophmore year he had 99 tackles, junior year 121, and senior year 131. Ask Johnson Central fans and Ashland fans about the games both this season and last season. Fields and Michael Tackett were all over the field, probably some of the best linebacker match ups I've ever seen.
Jordan Walters from Southwestern hConfusedhh: ad a 100+ last season and 100+ in 2005. All state honorable mention . Attending KCU this season. This player should rank somewhere...
Wes Woods- Prestonsburg

If you've seen him play than why didn't you have him in your Top LB's.

First team all-district
First team all-state
EKU Line-Camp MVP
135 tackles/ 7 tackles for loss/ 6 sacks all in '06
EKU Signee
^ Thought he played DL, because he wasn't 1st team all state at LB.
Hazard's Michael Campbell put up 144 tackles this season...and Bart Teague put up 128.....thats as many as any of these LBs mentioned and Michael will be a JR and Teague a SR. next season.
RayRay Wrote:^ Thought he played DL, because he wasn't 1st team all state at LB.

In the first couple of games he played Defensive end, but he moved to Linebacker.
But what position did he make the All State team for?
Josh Wills and Fields Davis are the best I saw in 2006. Archie Groves(I think that's his name) from Boyd Co and the middle linebacker from Corbin was very good also.
Tackett and Johnson - JC
Timmy Baker - Leslie County
woods - prestonsburg
johnson - jc
Josh Wills. nobody played with more heart or more intensity. the man is a flat out genius on the football field. fields davis is pretty good too and the jc boys, but to me its wills hands down
Josh Wills. nobody played with more heart or more intensity. the man is a flat out genius on the football field. fields davis is pretty good too and the jc boys, but to me its wills hands down
bizmark Wrote:Josh Wills. nobody played with more heart or more intensity. the man is a flat out genius on the football field. fields davis is pretty good too and the jc boys, but to me its wills hands down

He has trained under Gary Morris for the last 3 seasons(44 games), and was Morris's pick for Defensive Captain. That says alot about Josh.
In my opinion, Brent Slusher from Bell Co., and Timmy Baker from Leslie Co. were the 2 best linebackers in Eastern Kentucky last year.
I Rule The World Wrote:In my opinion, Brent Slusher from Bell Co., and Timmy Baker from Leslie Co. were the 2 best linebackers in Eastern Kentucky last year.
Perhaps you should say they are the best LB's you saw last year.
Well Brent Slusher went to Auburn so i'm sure that everyone you talk of is better devilswin? I would say he was pretty good to get a full ride to Auburn. Timmy Baker of Leslie was a very hard nose player he can lay the lumber.
I've seen alot of the players you mentioned on here and I still say these two impressed me the most. Slusher is just a beast of an athlete, and Baker hits harder than anyone I've seen at this level in a while. He had the hit of the Year on WYMT, and the thing is, he did it all year long. The two at Johnson Central were good. But one was good inside, and the other outside. Saw the kid from P-Burg from the sidelineagainst Leslie. Watch the film, tell me who you think is better?
Slusher was recruited as a TE.
Are you talking about Wes Woods from Prestonsburg. He has been selected along with Kasey Clark to play in the KY/Tenn All-Star game.

Did Slusher make that squad?

The hit of they day at Papa Johns at State was when Josh Wills dropped Brandon Ford for a 2 yd loss in the 2nd play of the game. His Great grandchildern will feel that hit.