Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 15th Region Players at this point
Baller3 Wrote:kyr450, it's understandable your basketball IQ is a little low. Sorry but we have to disagree on this one. I think Landon is by far the best player in Region 15. He can score at will. He can rebound. He can handle the ball. He can take the opponent's best player out of the game. He is unselfish. He could score 30 a night if he wanted but he understands that he has to get his teammates involved so they win. Plus McCarty and Case both shoot their hands off. I personally think Landon will play D1 ball. I'm not from Paintsville either so that's an honest outside opinion.

I know enough about basketball to know that Landon Slone isnt by far the best player in the 15th region, one the best yes, but by far the best not close, an I dont think he is the best player on his team, Van Ferguson is better than Landon, Period, an truthfully that is a very unbias opinion, Because I very much dislike Ferguson... Now about you sayin Jamie Case shoots his hand shows you havent done your homework, case averages under 17 shots per game an is scoring 25.1 ppg, damn I didnt realize that was shooting you hand off, Now McCarty he averages about 30 shots per game an is averaging 25.6 ppg, that is what you call shooting you hand off. An to say Slones defense can take someones best player out is a joke, his defense is very subpar...
kyr450 Wrote:I know enough about basketball to know that Landon Slone isnt by far the best player in the 15th region, one the best yes, but by far the best not close, an I dont think he is the best player on his team, Van Ferguson is better than Landon, Period, an truthfully that is a very unbias opinion, Because I very much dislike Ferguson... Now about you sayin Jamie Case shoots his hand shows you havent done your homework, case averages under 17 shots per game an is scoring 25.1 ppg, damn I didnt realize that was shooting you hand off, Now McCarty he averages about 30 shots per game an is averaging 25.6 ppg, that is what you call shooting you hand off. An to say Slones defense can take someones best player out is a joke, his defense is very subpar...

I do alot of homework and according to the radio I'm not alone in my opinion about Jamie Case. Even they were talking about how many shots he takes per game. So why would they say that? Case or McCarty neither one belong on here. Slone's defense subpar? No way. He held McCarty to 4 points in the first half playing him the entire half. Do the math.
Just to throw this out there. According to the KHSAA Case is shooting 156 for 311 (right at 50%) and is averaging 17.3 shots per game (311 divided by 18 games played) and is averaging 25.1 ppg (451 total points) and shooting 112/141 from the FT line (79%). Just food for thought, BTW - I love stats!!
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Just to throw this out there. According to the KHSAA Case is shooting 156 for 311 (right at 50%) and is averaging 17.3 shots per game (311 divided by 18 games played) and is averaging 25.1 ppg (451 total points) and shooting 112/141 from the FT line (79%). Just food for thought, BTW - I love stats!!
\\

So baller3 I guess khsaa is lying, an trust me, Bennet west's stat are exact....
alfus21 Wrote:Slone will do something after high school, and that's play at a very small Division 1 School at the most. I don't know why someone would say Florida is looking at him though. He's not even regarded as one of the top juniors in the state. Why would a top team in the country look at him? I mean no offense to the kid but some of you people need to get the heck out of Paintsville for a day or two and get some fresh air saying things like that.

This is ridiculous. ESPN's scouts have only one player in KY rated higher than Landon in the junior class -- this is including all positions -- that player is Darius Miller.

I am out of Paintsville. I am in Louisville. I have seen a lot of basketball, and I have spoken with a lot of coaches. I didn't pull that out of my backside, I recieved information from people involved.

Maybe you ought to get out of wherever you are and realize that not everyone on here just dreaming up things to say.
kyr450 Wrote:I know enough about basketball to know that Landon Slone isnt by far the best player in the 15th region, one the best yes, but by far the best not close, an I dont think he is the best player on his team, Van Ferguson is better than Landon, Period, an truthfully that is a very unbias opinion, Because I very much dislike Ferguson... Now about you sayin Jamie Case shoots his hand shows you havent done your homework, case averages under 17 shots per game an is scoring 25.1 ppg, damn I didnt realize that was shooting you hand off, Now McCarty he averages about 30 shots per game an is averaging 25.6 ppg, that is what you call shooting you hand off. An to say Slones defense can take someones best player out is a joke, his defense is very subpar...

This is unbelievable.
The Governor Wrote:This is unbelievable.

Keep tellin ur self that...
15thRegionX Wrote:So if I am reading this correctly, you are telling me that Landon Slone has even been looked at Florida, who did win the national championship...If thats the case then why isnt he averaging 30+pts per game in the weakest region in the state?

Well, because none of Florida's recruits for 2007, that have signed a letter of intent, are averaging 30 points a game.

Florida's 2007 players who have signed a letter of intent to sign with them (these are seniors, Landon is a junior):
  • Adam Allen (21pts. 10rebs.)
  • Nick Calathes (26pts. 6rebs 4asst)
  • Alex Tyus (18pts. 9rebs)
Also, I wanted to take a minute to remind the good folks in the bluegrass about Kentucky's Freshmen class this year and their stats when they were seniors (again Landon is a junior):
  • Derrick Jasper (21.7 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 5.8 apg)
  • Jodie Meeks (17.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg)
  • Michael Porter (15.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 6.5 apg)
  • Perry Stevenson (13.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 10 bpg)

There is no "cookie cutter" type player that coaches are looking for. It is different with every coach in every school. Don't count Landon out. Have a good night.
The Governor Wrote:This is ridiculous. ESPN's scouts have only one player in KY rated higher than Landon in the junior class -- this is including all positions -- that player is Darius Miller.

They're seriously messed up if they consider him better than Scotty Hopson out of Hopkinsville. He's a 5 star recruit on rivals.
The Governor Wrote:Well, because none of Florida's recruits for 2007, that have signed a letter of intent, are averaging 30 points a game.

Florida's 2007 players who have signed a letter of intent to sign with them (these are seniors, Landon is a junior):
  • Adam Allen (21pts. 10rebs.)
  • Nick Calathes (26pts. 6rebs 4asst)
  • Alex Tyus (18pts. 9rebs)
Also, I wanted to take a minute to remind the good folks in the bluegrass about Kentucky's Freshmen class this year and their stats when they were seniors (again Landon is a junior):
  • Derrick Jasper (21.7 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 5.8 apg)
  • Jodie Meeks (17.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.0 apg)
  • Michael Porter (15.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 6.5 apg)
  • Perry Stevenson (13.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 10 bpg)

There is no "cookie cutter" type player that coaches are looking for. It is different with every coach in every school. Don't count Landon out. Have a good night.

Call me crazy, but I think those teams played slightly tougher competition than Paintsville. Smile
alfus21 Wrote:Call me crazy, but I think those teams played slightly tougher competition than Paintsville. Smile

I try not to call people names, unlike your insinuative remarks that we are all cooped up in little ol' Paintsville and need to get out and see what real basketball and worldly life is about -- Well, this is one Paintsvillian you won't bluff.

Lastly, we don't know the schedules of their high school teams, but it still makes a pretty valid point even if they played more difficult schedules -- I'll leave that judgement to the coaches.
The Governor Wrote:I try not to call people names, unlike your insinuative remarks that we are all cooped up in little ol' Paintsville and need to get out and see what real basketball and worldly life is about -- Well, this is one Paintsvillian you won't bluff.

Lastly, we don't know the schedules of their high school teams, but it still makes a pretty valid point even if they played more difficult schedules -- I'll leave that judgement to the coaches.

Unbelievable. Slone plays in one of the weakest regions in the state of Kentucky. Mention Landon Slone outside of the mountains and see how many people know of him. No bash on him, because he probably is the best player in the region but that's not saying much, but the fact that people all of the sudden are hyping him up as a prep star now is hilarious.
alfus21 Wrote:Unbelievable. Slone plays in one of the weakest regions in the state of Kentucky. Mention Landon Slone outside of the mountains and see how many people know of him. No bash on him, because he probably is the best player in the region but that's not saying much, but the fact that people all of the sudden are hyping him up as a prep star now is hilarious.

We are simply replying to everyone else's comments saying he isn't the best in the region. Take a look at the posts that lead up to this, and you will see. I made a statement that Landon is above the rest in the region, and others are bashing him. That is all.

I am done here. Good luck "outside the mountains".
Landon Slone Jamie Case

Ave, Shots P/G 15.055 17.277
Ave. 21.888 25.055
FG % 50.184 50.160
3 Pt FG % 34.653 26.213
FT % 73.109 79.432

Teams ave
FG Att per game 995 980
3 Pt att per Game 376 220
FT att Per Game 397 364
Ave score 71.888 65.055

Case is 38.5 % of Belfry's Offense
Slone is 30.4 % of Paintsville's Offense

As you can see, these 2 are very close....arguements for both as being top player in the Region.
The biggest difference in these two......
Slone can have a game where he scores 12 points and his team can and has still won.
If you hold Case to 12 points...Belfry will lose.
The Governor Wrote:We are simply replying to everyone elses comments saying he isn't the best in the region. Take a look at the post that leas up to this, and you will see. I made a statement that Landon is above the rest in the region, and others are bashing him. That is all.

I am done here. Good luck "outside the mountains".

I wasn't questioning his status as one of the best in the region but this replies such as him being the 2nd best player in Kentucky in the Class of '08 and Florida looking at him.

Sorry if I upset you but this is just my opinion.
Quote:Sorry if I upset you but this is just my opinion.

Accepted.
Ok here is what I think is going on here. Landon probably received mail from Florida asking his height and weight, which can be done by any high school coach. I know because I have done it for players. Maybe he got invited to their camp, but there is no way possible they (Florida) will sign Landon Slone to a scholarship. The truth is getting letters and getting looked at is a little different. When Donovan calls his house let us know Governor. Landon Slone is a great player but nothing like Todd Tackett if you ask me and Todd couldn't play at UK
alfus21 Wrote:I wasn't questioning his status as one of the best in the region but this replies such as him being the 2nd best player in Kentucky in the Class of '08 and Florida looking at him.

Sorry if I upset you but this is just my opinion.
inside source here alfus21. I know for a fact Florida is looking at him.. Doesnt mean they will take him or that Landon will even go there. Alos Coach Donavan doesnt want 30 point scores on his team. I am sure he would rather have a player or players that get 12 to 15 points and 6,7 or 8 assists a game 5 or 6 rebounds. Hummmm sound very familar doesnt it. I think i posted this earlier.
As far as I know, none of us are former or current D1 Recruiters. But with all these expert opinions flying around I don't know why we aren't.Rolleyes I doubt that any of us know Billy D. either. I do know this though. Billy seems to get team players at his school. He gets the kids that can and are willing to be coached. Not just looking to make that jump to the next level. We know that because all of them returned to the team again this year. It just bothers me when people "Hate" on these kids when people start mentioning things like D1. If Slone goes D1 that is awesome. Be it FL or Iona. If he goes any where else on a free ride. That is awesome. Who cares where? I am just tickled to death to see any of these local kids get a free ride any where and better them selves. :thumpsup:
OffTheHook Wrote:As far as I know, none of us are former or current D1 Recruiters. But with all these expert opinions flying around I don't know why we aren't.Rolleyes I doubt that any of us know Billy D. either. I do know this though. Billy seems to get team players at his school. He gets the kids that can and are willing to be coached. Not just looking to make that jump to the next level. We know that because all of them returned to the team again this year. It just bothers me when people "Hate" on these kids when people start mentioning things like D1. If Slone goes D1 that is awesome. Be it FL or Iona. If he goes any where else on a free ride. That is awesome. Who cares where? I am just tickled to death to see any of these local kids get a free ride any where and better them selves. :thumpsup:
Great post offthehook. Very few go any further than college. A free education is whtas important here. I dont care if he goes to Pikeville as long as he thinks of life after basketball. Once again a great post.
Nobody said they didn't want Landon to play college ball, they just said he wouldn't play at Florida and we have the right to voice our opinion on here. Like I said earlier, letters do not mean that he is being recruited. I received letters from Tennessee, Kentucky, an WV but all they wanted was information. I didn't go run and tell people they were recruiting me nor did my friends go tell people that.
Quote:The truth is getting letters and getting looked at is a little different. When Donovan calls his house let us know Governor. Landon Slone is a great player but nothing like Todd Tackett if you ask me and Todd couldn't play at UK

I understand your post, and I understand the process as well (I was an All-American in a sport myself). Let me just say, again, that I wasn't suggesting he was going to Florida, but I was answering or replying to previous posts that have been on here. Someone asked why Landon wasn't scoring 30 pts. per game, others mentioned that they heard Florida was recruiting him -- I simply affirmed that, and left the rest open ended. I appreciate your posts, and I hope you have a nice day, but it is awfully cold.
HazzBeen Wrote:Nobody said they didn't want Landon to play college ball, they just said he wouldn't play at Florida and we have the right to voice our opinion on here. Like I said earlier, letters do not mean that he is being recruited. I received letters from Tennessee, Kentucky, an WV but all they wanted was information. I didn't go run and tell people they were recruiting me nor did my friends go tell people that.

Did you write those schools first???.....lol, jk. I got some letters from big time schools myself (Nebraska, Notre Dame, Syracuse, WV, Penn State to name a few) that were sent to my high school coach. The letters wanted to know height/weight/40, etc....stuff that a lot of coaches look at since now all they recruit are paper athletes (in football anyway). However, if the kid continues to get letters from that school, or has received a call from someone from the University (i.e. Billy D., or an assitant) then that sounds like recruiting to me. He's still a junior, so anything can happen.
Jamie Case and Landon Slone.....
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:15th RegionX - I am still waiting to see why you think Landon won't do anything after he leaves Paintsville.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, forgot about this thread. Landon is a good player but I have seen way better players play in way tougher regions and I haven't seen them do anything. Nothing against Landon, he is a great player, I just don't think he has enough to make an impact at the next level.
Okay... a couple of you have stated that some DI schools have been in contact with Landon by mail... How many, if any, have actually been to Paintsville to watch him play???

Anybody remember "The General" Robert Montgomery Knight coming to Pikeville to watch J.R. Vanhoose...
The King Wrote:Okay... a couple of you have stated that some DI schools have been in contact with Landon by mail... How many, if any, have actually been to Paintsville to watch him play???

Anybody remember "The General" Robert Montgomery Knight coming to Pikeville to watch J.R. Vanhoose...

I remember Coach Knight coming, as well as Coach Pitino at practice, as well as Coach Donovan, etc...

Again, noone is saying that Coach Donovan hopped on a jet and flew in...I am just saying he is the best in the region.
What about Charlie Hunt? He was awesome before his near death car accident, and is averaging 22 this year with a rod in his left leg. Would love to have Ashley Hatfield playing for Phelps where he lives!!!
Charlie Hunt is one of the top players. He has come so far since the accident. I am hoping his injury last night dosn't slow him down. I think Slone, Case and Hatfield are top players too. Hatfield just being a freshman, I think his full potential will show in later years. I didn't know Hatfield lived in Phelps?? How is that?? Or I guess that should be in another thread??
He stayed back in the 7th or 8th grade, and his parents drove him to Virgie. Then he started high school at Shelby Valley. An athlete can go anywhere to start his freshman year and be eligible. The same thing happened a few years back with Adam Prater. He lived next door to Phelps High School, but he started going to Pike Central as a freshman.