Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Bowling!!! Best Ever from the Mountains?
you must have been bored to post a tread like this. Bowling is far from being the greatest player in the mountains, lol. Lets see there's King Kelly Coleman, Johnny Cox, Billy Ray Cassady at Inez, Joe Allen Stepp, Ervin Stepp, Charles Thomas and many , many others.
NO... Ben Bowlin was a good ball player in his day, but he can't even compare to some the greats that have came from these mountains.
tubbyhater1 Wrote:you must have been bored to post a tread like this. Bowling is far from being the greatest player in the mountains, lol. Lets see there's King Kelly Coleman, Johnny Cox, Billy Ray Cassady at Inez, Joe Allen Stepp, Ervin Stepp, Charles Thomas and many , many others.
Yea yea all those players played in the 50's or whatever...The game is much better now than then
magic man Wrote:Jim Rose did not play for Rupp-He played at Western and along with Big Jim Mcdaniels defeated rupp in the NCAA tOURNAMENT

You are mistaken, their were 2 players named Jim Rose.
Jim Rose was point guard for Wheelwright's 1961 3rd place state tournement team.
He went to Uk transfer half way thru his soph season and was an all american at GA Southern. Played pro ball in europe and coached at alice lloyd then took a feew of Knott centrals teams to state as well.
Redneck Wrote:NO... Ben Bowlin was a good ball player in his day, but he can't even compare to some the greats that have came from these mountains.
In his day??? He played just 5 or 6 years ago.

He was asked by UK as either a sophomore or a junior to come to Midnight Madness when he was at Perry Central. He was the only underclassman that was asked to attend that year. I thought he had more raw talent than any kid I have ever seen come out of the mountains. Million dollar body with a ten cent brain however.
Doc Holliday Wrote:You are mistaken, their were 2 players named Jim Rose.
Jim Rose was point guard for Wheelwright's 1961 3rd place state tournement team.
He went to Uk transfer half way thru his soph season and was an all american at GA Southern. Played pro ball in europe and coached at alice lloyd then took a feew of Knott centrals teams to state as well.

Thanks Doc, this is the Jim Rose I was talking about.
rooster Wrote:In his day??? He played just 5 or 6 years ago.

He was asked by UK as either a sophomore or a junior to come to Midnight Madness when he was at Perry Central. He was the only underclassman that was asked to attend that year. I thought he had more raw talent than any kid I have ever seen come out of the mountains. Million dollar body with a ten cent brain however.
lol I liked that one
king kelly coleman the only thing that stopped him from being compared with the greats of basketball was his attitude and a drinking problem
allthewayhome Wrote:king kelly coleman the only thing that stopped him from being compared with the greats of basketball was his attitude and a drinking problem
lol Thats why hes my Hero
Anybody ever heard of Richie Farmer??? I believe he could hoop a little as well.
cant believe none of you basketball guru pretenders have mentioned the all time leading scorer at the university of vanderbilt (phil cox) from harlan county. any of you ever heard of him, played for cawood high school. some of the players mentioned are not even in the same league with him.
The Doctor Wrote:cant believe none of you basketball guru pretenders have mentioned the all time leading scorer at the university of vanderbilt (phil cox) from harlan county. any of you ever heard of him, played for cawood high school. some of the players mentioned are not even in the same league with him.
also from harlan county (nick sanford) also played for cawood and then averaged 30 points a game for 4 consecutive years at lincoln memorial university, scoring between 3,000-4,000 points in his college career, then was drafted in the continental league which was at the time the stepping stone league to the nba
Official Legend14th Wrote:Anybody ever heard of Richie Farmer??? I believe he could hoop a little as well.
never heard of him
Gee whiz nobody has even been close to King Kelly coleman.Earvin was great shooter but played no defense at all and was only a good high school player.
My second choise as far as high school players was Darrell Griffith from Louisville Male.Two best I ever saw was him and now OJ mayo.
Oh yea Wes Unseld
Bowling was a wasted talent....to even talk about him being an all time great is doing an injustice to every other great mountain player thoughout history..
Hoops Lover Wrote:Bowling was a wasted talent....to even talk about him being an all time great is doing an injustice to every other great mountain player thoughout history..
If that is the case, we cant talk about King Kelly either
Not talking about Coleman...talking about Bowling...he may have been one of the most talented...but not one of the best players..
Ben Bowling COULD have went to any college in America, If he wouldnt of got messed up
IMO an alltime great mountain player has to at least have finished his HS career in the mountains....Would the people of the mountains loved Richie Farmer as much if he would have transferred to Fairdale or Male?
What could he do besides shot 3's
Man..I won't even dignify that question with an answer.
Hoops Lover Wrote:Man..I won't even dignify that question with an answer.
Thats what I thought
Old school Dawg Wrote:Gee whiz nobody has even been close to King Kelly coleman.Earvin was great shooter but played no defense at all and was only a good high school player.

yeah i have and he played before the three point line and last i checked still holds alot of scoring records.
RivalsKing Wrote:What could he do besides shot 3's
If you are talking about Farmer he did alot more than shoot the 3, at 6'0 he jumped to start the game for Clay County. He rebounded, he played defense and he had something you can't teach he had HEART and he showed that @ UK by being 1 Lucky Shot away from helping lead the Cats from it's darkest day to the Final 4 in 1992. Oh yeah he lead his Clay County Tigers to the Sweet 16 championship in 1987 and back to the championship again in 1988 where he had 51 points in the finals.
The best ever to come around is
King Kelly Coleman
Johnny Cox
Todd May
Ervin Stepp
John Pelphrey

Top 5 for sure
has anyone every heard of the fab five from care creek guess not i am pretty sure they beat coleman, but i agree bowling was a waste of talent. Coleman was by far the greatest player to come out of the moutains anyone that can score over 2,000 pooints in a season without a three point line is awsome. How many did bowlen have with a three point line rest my case.
thepasttime Wrote:has anyone every heard of the fab five from care creek guess not i am pretty sure they beat coleman, but i agree bowling was a waste of talent. Coleman was by far the greatest player to come out of the moutains anyone that can score over 2,000 pooints in a season without a three point line is awsome. How many did bowlen have with a three point line rest my case.

i was reading a book the other day about king kelly coleman and he said that when he was playing at the state games that first game he went into they whole stadium started booing. he said that has never happened to him before. i thought this was kinda funny.
Todd May-Virgie- no question about it!!!