Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville...State Contenders???
Regional contenders and could pull off a big win...Remeber,these guys beat Covington Catholic last year and they went to the finals of the sweet 16!!
Nike Man Wrote:Regional contenders and could pull off a big win...Remeber,these guys beat Covington Catholic last year and they went to the finals of the sweet 16!!
Uhhhhh, 'cuse me Paintsville did not play Covington Catholic last year. But they did get beat by East Ridge, Harlan, and Betsy Layne all of who made it to the finals of nothing.
This is my thoughts on it. Paintsville could on paper play with anyone. They may have beaten the runner up team last year, but I still have alot of doubts about them putting together enough games in a row to win a state title. I belive in this region, you may get a first round game that would be a weaker team than you are in the first round. After that, it depends on which team is on for that night. I just cant see Paintsville having enough "A" games to win a state title. They might get the region this year. But I realististlly cant see them putting together the 6 or 7 needed good games to win it all. What tourneys did they win last year, the same year they beat the runner up team in the state? Only one at their own gym. If the sweet 16 was being held at Paintsville, then I would say they would be the favorites to win it. As long as the state tourney is held at Rupp, I dont see them being a contender.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:This is my thoughts on it. Paintsville could on paper play with anyone. They may have beaten the runner up team last year, but I still have alot of doubts about them putting together enough games in a row to win a state title. I belive in this region, you may get a first round game that would be a weaker team than you are in the first round. After that, it depends on which team is on for that night. I just cant see Paintsville having enough "A" games to win a state title. They might get the region this year. But I realististlly cant see them putting together the 6 or 7 needed good games to win it all. What tourneys did they win last year, the same year they beat the runner up team in the state? Only one at their own gym. If the sweet 16 was being held at Paintsville, then I would say they would be the favorites to win it. As long as the state tourney is held at Rupp, I dont see them being a contender.

Is this thread about our thoughts on Paintsville "WinningG the state championship, or being able to contend for State?
Personally...I honestly believe that they are very long shots as far as winning state. But my theory on contending is this, Winning region(yes, I absolutely think they can) Winning a game or 2 at the "Sweet 16" Yes, I think they can, Then as far as that goes, then yes, they could contend for state.
rooster Wrote:Uhhhhh, 'cuse me Paintsville did not play Covington Catholic last year. But they did get beat by East Ridge, Harlan, and Betsy Layne all of who made it to the finals of nothing.

Man you must really dislike Paintsville, but come on you do have to give them credit for beating the eventual state runner-up in Apollo (which I think that's what Nike was trying to say). :Thumbs:
I haven't got to see them play but I heard their new point guard is a beast.
they could contend but the question is will they?
I for one hop they beat the pants off of every team up and down the river. it would make me smile.
IRISH4 Wrote:Man you must really dislike Paintsville, but come on you do have to give them credit for beating the eventual state runner-up in Apollo (which I think that's what Nike was trying to say). :Thumbs:
Nope, not at all.

Sure they deserve credit for that , but give the proper credit where credit is due when it goes the other way as well.
Very true also.
rooster Wrote:Nope, not at all.

Sure they deserve credit for that , but give the proper credit where credit is due when it goes the other way as well.

That can go for any team, seems like the top teams in the Region do well for a couple of games, and then stink it up for several more. There has been no consistancy since the Shelby Valley team of 04-05. Hopefully this year someone can actually make a stand as the clear cut favorite and not choke in games they are supposed to win.
When was the last time that Paintsville has been able to put up 5 or 6 games where they all play together against quality teams? As far as I have seen and heard, that hasnt happened in the last couple years without jealousy taking over. Even if they beat last years state runner up team, that is just one game and not a tourney. When was the last time Paintsville has put together enough games to win a tourney on the road? They seem to have problems with that even in little ones. How can they expect to win the big show and not be able to play that many games in a few days as a team instead of a bunch of I's.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
The tigers have been the preseason 15th favorite for the past 2-3 years in many polls but still haven't shown their ability to win the big game. They are very talented all over the floor but the question is can they take it to another level? I think after the first 2 games of the season we will see. They are at #10 Bryan Station, and at Henry Clay in the Commodore Classic. This is a very good test early on and if P-vill pulls off the upsets it will show everyone they are for real.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:When was the last time that Paintsville has been able to put up 5 or 6 games where they all play together against quality teams?

2002-03
eaglehoops Wrote:The tigers have been the preseason 15th favorite for the past 2-3 years in many polls but still haven't shown their ability to win the big game. They are very talented all over the floor but the question is can they take it to another level? I think after the first 2 games of the season we will see. They are at #10 Bryan Station, and at Henry Clay in the Commodore Classic. This is a very good test early on and if P-vill pulls off the upsets it will show everyone they are for real.

They were the favorite last year and this year.
This is no way you can consider them state contenders. They are terrible. Also they will not win the region, because they don't have enough fire power to beat SV.
kysportsguru Wrote:This is no way you can consider them state contenders. They are terrible. Also they will not win the region, because they don't have enough fire power to beat SV.

This comment doesn't surprise me a bit, but you might want to clean the crap off your face and out of your eyes. It seems like there is only one school that exists and that's SV. Have you seen Paintsville play? Probably not.

Anyone know if these two schools are playing during the regular season.
yes I've both teams play
Forgot, No they are not playing in the regular season
Redneck Wrote:2002-03

4 games in a row in the tourneys. They won the district, lost in the finals in the region. That is the best they have done in a long time. Now add 4 more games on to that year in 4 days of not just good, but great ball and yes, they could be a contender. But even in the year you said, 2002-2003, they didnt even make it to the big show.
Is there any reason for the rest of the schools in the 15th to play basketball this year, since the Regional winner has already been declared. Wow, some people amaze me.
Unbiased Wrote:Is there any reason for the rest of the schools in the 15th to play basketball this year, since the Regional winner has already been declared. Wow, some people amaze me.

Some people amaze me as well. This was a rather nice thread, but you always have your so called "homers", and then on the other side you have your bashers. I am not a Paintsville fan, my child goes to Johnson Central, but you have got to respect them. If you don't show respect for them, Johnson Central, or Shelby Valley you could very easily walk out of the gymnasium with a double digit loss. As for the topic, I think they are regional contenders, but as far as state contenders, no I do not think they are. Not sure of the kind of draw the 15th will get, if they play someone from the 12, 14, or 16th in the opening round I see the three teams I mentioned earlier with the possibility of winning their opening round game. Best of luck to all teams this season.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:4 games in a row in the tourneys. They won the district, lost in the finals in the region. That is the best they have done in a long time. Now add 4 more games on to that year in 4 days of not just good, but great ball and yes, they could be a contender. But even in the year you said, 2002-2003, they didnt even make it to the big show.

True, but when you got me and Shane Simpkins sitting on the bench the whole game with "foul trouble" it was a pretty tough task winning the region championship. But like you said, they HAVE to play consistent especially come tourney time. Had they played Shelby Valley like they did JC there is no doubt in my mind Paintsville would have won that ball game 1st round.
next year
Redneck Wrote:True, but when you got me and Shane Simpkins sitting on the bench the whole game with "foul trouble" it was a pretty tough task winning the region championship. But like you said, they HAVE to play consistent especially come tourney time. Had they played Shelby Valley like they did JC there is no doubt in my mind Paintsville would have won that ball game 1st round.

That is my point exactly. If they had played Shelby Valley like they did Johnson Central they very well may have won. My point about it is with the group of boys they have now, they have been picked to win the regions this year, and the last two. They cant put together enough good games in a row when it matter to win the region. There isnt any way they can put together enough good games in a row to be contenders for the state tourney. And "foul trouble" is all part of the game. The players themselves need to figure how how hard they can play. And remember how many fouls they already have and play according to that.
kysportsguru Wrote:This is no way you can consider them state contenders. They are terrible. Also they will not win the region, because they don't have enough fire power to beat SV.

Are you serious? No can't be.... SV has to beat Paintsville, Pikeville, Johnson Central, Belfry and East Ridge...
Valley is usually good, but I can't remember when SV beat all of these teams in the same year. ALL of these team's have the fire power to beat SV and most of them more than likely will, so how about you wait until SV plays all of these team's before you make statements like that
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:And "foul trouble" is all part of the game. The players themselves need to figure how how hard they can play. And remember how many fouls they already have and play according to that.

Watch the game film and you will see what I'm talkin about.