Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville...State Contenders???
They're solid to their 8th, maybe 9th man. They could be the best team from eastern Ky since their State Championship Run in 1996. From what I hear, BMR is cutting out the crap so his boys can cut down the nets at Home, The Expo, and then on to Rupp Arena. How about it guys? Give me your opinion.
No. Plain and simple they can't compete with anyone elsewhere in the state. Maybe they can do some damage in EKY, but at state? Come on and get real.
No way state contenders. They totally lack a inside game. Physical play tears them up. Not enough size or quickness for a state contender team. It is still yet to be seen if they can play together.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Its way too early to be talking about state contenders before the season even starts. Paintsville is very talented and need not look past their next game on the schedule or they could repeat missing the Sweet 16 again!
Gator Wrote:Its way too early to be talking about state contenders before the season even starts. Paintsville is very talented and need not look past their next game on the schedule or they could repeat missing the Sweet 16 again!
Well this same thread was brought up last year and i said it once ill say it again, they have to make it past Shelby Valley first!
watchin-u Wrote:Well this same thread was brought up last year and i said it once ill say it again, they have to make it past Shelby Valley first!

Paintsville should deffenitly be the team at the sweet 16 for the 15th region... They have been tough competitors for the past 2 years, but now the guys that were sophmores and freshman are Juniors and Seniors. I dont think they are a state championship team, but they are deffinetly capeable of doing well in the region, and depending on the draw maybe win a game or 2 at state... Good Luck Tigers!!! Shelby Vally Is Terrible!!!
Gator Wrote:Its way too early to be talking about state contenders before the season even starts. Paintsville is very talented and need not look past their next game on the schedule or they could repeat missing the Sweet 16 again!

:thumpsup: Very appropriate comment. If they are state contenders they need to prove it. Talk gets them no where just like last year. Last year's team had loads of talent (look what they did to JC on JC's floor AND look what they did in the Hoops Classic), BUT look who went to Rupp. The Tigers are very talented and they need to just go out there and execute and prove it each game. The rest will take care of itself.
TRAIN85 Wrote:No. Plain and simple they can't compete with anyone elsewhere in the state. Maybe they can do some damage in EKY, but at state? Come on and get real.

That was the same thing we heard last year, you do know that Paintsville beat the eventual state runner-up last year don't you, not to mention a couple other teams from around the state and out-of-state. The fact is, WHEN Paintsville plays TEAM ball, they are 20+ points above every other team in this region. I only seen it a couple times last year and one was against eventual 15th region champion Johnson Central, Paintsville won that game by 30+, somewhere in that area.

*Coeus* Wrote:They could be the best team from eastern Ky since their State Championship Run in 1996.

:lmao: Oh man, thanks for that good laugh *Coeus*, I needed that cause I been pretty bummed I didn't get a deer this mornin. They are NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to being the best team since 96' for a couple reasons. Well, Paintsville 97' and 98' teams, Pikeville 99', Johnson Central 00', Magoffin County 00', Paintsville 00' and so on and so on. HAHA, that's a good one man.
shewww..and davids winning the region
get real.
I do think the can contend for an All A state title and are probabily ONE of the favorites to do so. As far as contending for the big one in Rupp, well they'll probabily be one of the 16 teams there but i'm like BasketBallonlyfan, the inside game and size will hurt them. They are very talented in an individual stand point compared to the other teams in the region but they have yet to prove they can play as a team for a full season, if so then you never know but its yet to be seen. Slone needs to provide leadership, he is the best player on this team,in the region, and one of the tops in the state. VanHoose and Grimm also need to provide some leadership and take this team under their wing and not let problems get started. Both those guys can play. Fergason can provide a little athletcism also. I'm just not sure that they are ready to compete with teams like Scott County,Ballard,E'town, Jeffersontown, Warren Central and teams like that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
TRAIN85 Wrote:No. Plain and simple they can't compete with anyone elsewhere in the state. Maybe they can do some damage in EKY, but at state? Come on and get real.

Plz come on, everybody knows paintsville can compete with anybody they want to in the state they just hav to get over their own egos.
No offense to Paintsville, but if they can't win the region with all that talent how could they possibly win state?

They need to worry about getting out of their district before even thinking about state.
umm try winning your district/region first
Panther Thunder Wrote:umm try winning your district/region first

:howdy: Exactly! If the Tigers are a state contender, then we will all know it in March! The Tigers need to stop reading media clippings and ego boosting posts on here and go out and play each game the best they can. The rest will take care of itself, because the talent is there!
I hope someone will at least make a good showing at state, as far as contenders we will have to wait and see.
No...They arent even close to being good enough for state contender, they lack the inside game to much.
Moe Wrote:the inside game and size will hurt them.

UnderArmour24 Wrote:they lack the inside game to much.

Apollo made it to the state championship last year with no inside game or size and Paintsville beat them last year. I'm not sayin Paintsville is a contender, just something to think about.
*Coeus* Wrote:They could be the best team from eastern Ky since their State Championship Run in 1996.

Not to mention teams from the other regions since Paintsville won state in 96'
What in the world are you on to make a crazy statement like that, seriously.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
come on man....have you ever went to a state tourney. no way can a team from the 15th compete. maybe in the all A if they make it there....but htey better worry about making it to rupp before they start plannin on winning state
Nope sorry...this is the year that the tough 57th provides the upset. The Tigers will get upset in the district!! No 15th region title this year Tiger fans!! No inside game equals no real threat!!
Paintsville state contenders?........THATS A BIG NEGATIVE
Paintsville needs to worry about getting out of the 57th district.
Paintsville might not be State contenders this year. But I guarantee they feel as they can play and beat any team they have to step on the floor with. Not saying that they think they are better than anyone, just that they know that if they give their best, they can absolutely ball!
Since most think Paintsville will be the best in this region, then those 15th reg. competitors here that are saying know way Paintsville could compete for state, must reall think your own team sucks! lol
is this a serious post??
EKY Sportster Wrote::howdy: Exactly! If the Tigers are a state contender, then we will all know it in March! The Tigers need to stop reading media clippings and ego boosting posts on here and go out and play each game the best they can. The rest will take care of itself, because the talent is there!

Totally agree with ya EKY
The Guru Wrote:Paintsville might not be State contenders this year. But I guarantee they feel as they can play and beat any team they have to step on the floor with. Not saying that they think they are better than anyone, just that they know that if they give their best, they can absolutely ball!
Since most think Paintsville will be the best in this region, then those 15th reg. competitors here that are saying know way Paintsville could compete for state, must reall think your own team sucks! lol

Just because a person doesnt think that Paintsville could be a state championship team this year doesnt mean that they think their teams suck. I am sure that not many people in this region think that their team would win the state tourney. I think it is pretty bad starting a thread before the season even starts and even asking that question. If they was a state wide powerhouse that has been in the finals of the state tourney at least once in the players career would be a different thing. But the way it is now, I dont even see why this tread was started.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
LUMBERJACK'06 Wrote:come on man....have you ever went to a state tourney. no way can a team from the 15th compete. maybe in the all A if they make it there.

All of you keep forgetting that Paintsville beat the eventual state runner-up last year.

As for the All "A" State I think Paintsville is a definate contender for that, IF they play team ball and they don't let their ego's get in the way once they get down there playing infront of college coaches etc.
maybe next year...i'd just like to see someone win a few in state
Redneck Wrote:All of you keep forgetting that Paintsville beat the eventual state runner-up last year.

As for the All "A" State I think Paintsville is a definate contender for that, IF they play team ball and they don't let their ego's get in the way once they get down there playing infront of college coaches etc.

You forgot that they lost in the first round of the regions last year.