Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumors Say Schs Head Coach Will Not Return After This Season!!!
SCHS head coach Hammonds was reported to have been given his release from his coaching position after this season.SCHS school board gave the coach this information after meeting this past week.They told Hammonds they had already began new search for replacement.We have not even began to play this season and coaches are already being let go .
If this is true, then shame on SCHS Administration in announcing this at this time. I wonder how this will affect the kids on the team. I know nothing about this coach or the situation, I just know that this damages the kids trying to play.
Yeah I agree it is ashame
Let's be careful everyone.
Let's not post false information.
If this is not true, someone better step up and make a retraction.
This untimely announcement could hurt people's livelihoods and several high school players season.
Tread with caution.
It is true the anouncement has been made, it will affect the kids and i agree it shouldnt have went public yet, Sheldon Clark has lost alot of talent since coach Hammond has been there so maybe its best for the school
The Superintendent is a joke!! What a classless move!!! I'd say this will make his administrative life miserable as well. JR has alot of family and supporters and they will make this Superintendents job miserable. Don't be suprised if this Superintendent isn't looking for a job after this move.
Coach hammond is a great guy but when your not winning then what else is there to do, especially when you have the talent that he has had.
Nike Man Wrote:The Superintendent is a joke!! What a classless move!!! I'd say this will make his administrative life miserable as well. JR has alot of family and supporters and they will make this Superintendents job miserable. Don't be suprised if this Superintendent isn't looking for a job after this move.

What!? Have you not been following this basketball program? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not totally sure about this but hasn't he had only 1 winning season since he has been at Sheldon Clark? When teams keep losing changes must be made. I'm not putting all the blame on Coach Hammonds because he may be the nicest person in the world but that doesnt mean he needs to be a basketball coach and when a team just keeps losing some kind of action must take place. He has had the talent to win the games such as Brandon May and Jaryd Crum but they just weren't able to pull out the W. As for saying the superintendent is a joke thats not a very educated post. He is doing what he thinks is best for the Sheldon Clark High School basketball program. After so many losing seasons something has to be done. Maybe all of Coach Hammonds family and supporters can help him find a way to win games instead of making the superintendents job miserable. I'm about 99.9% sure he won't be looking for a job after this move because IMO it was a good one. Change is needed

-Meade
Meade Wrote:What!? Have you not been following this basketball program? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not totally sure about this but hasn't he had only 1 winning season since he has been at Sheldon Clark? When teams keep losing changes must be made. I'm not putting all the blame on Coach Hammonds because he may be the nicest person in the world but that doesnt mean he needs to be a basketball coach and when a team just keeps losing some kind of action must take place. He has had the talent to win the games such as Brandon May and Jaryd Crum but they just weren't able to pull out the W. As for saying the superintendent is a joke thats not a very educated post. He is doing what he thinks is best for the Sheldon Clark High School basketball program. After so many losing seasons something has to be done. Maybe all of Coach Hammonds family and supporters can help him find a way to win games instead of making the superintendents job miserable. I'm about 99.9% sure he won't be looking for a job after this move because IMO it was a good one. Change is needed

-Meade

I have to agree with you. Coach Hammonds has not won at SC. He has lost more talent that he has coached and he just seems to never win the big game. He can beat the JC's and Paintsvilles in the regular season. But when the pressure is on he just can't seem to get his team motivated enough to compete in the district and regional tourneys.
The only thing I don't agree with on this is the time the information was released. It should of been kept private until after the season. There is no way making this public at the start of the season will benefit the sheldon clark basketball program. I look for the players to show no emotion and to just go out and play not caring what happens.
Meade Wrote:The only thing I don't agree with on this is the time the information was released. It should of been kept private until after the season. There is no way making this public at the start of the season will benefit the sheldon clark basketball program. I look for the players to show no emotion and to just go out and play not caring what happens.
I agree, the timing is terrible and the superintendent needs to realize the time JR has put in over the years. Win or lose he has committed himself to the program and doesn't need this embarrasment.
Well, from what I have heard Coach Hammonds is the one telling everybody. But I also heard he was going to resign anyways. This has nothing to do wether he is a good guy or not, a program cannot survive if no body comes to the games and there is no money being taken up at the gate. Sports programs have to spend money and if they are not making any money and are not winning some changes have to be made. As far as the Superintendant goes, the counties kids have recieved more things since he has been in office than what they have got in the past 10 years.
I just wish the best of luck to Coach Hammond and the rest of the Cardinal Basketball Family! You guys need to put the blinders on and stay focused on the season ahead of you.
Is this thread real? I honestly don't know why you people THRIVE on talking about sports programs and how bad their coaches are. Let the upcoming season do the talking. And as far as JR leaving -- thats his choice. JR is making that choice because the community no longer supports him. (I think this thread is a good example of that.)

Go to the basketball games and look for yourself, there are almost no fans, and nearly ZERO parents. In order for any sports program to continue and develop into something good, a coach and the players need to know that the Parents and Fans are supporting them, financially, by purchasing tickets, and morally by BEING THERE. For YEARS (I have witnessed this first hand) people have done nothing but dog JR, and if I were him I would want to leave as well. JR is not a bad coach, he's made bad choices with even worse timing, but haven't we all? If he wants to leave, its a good time to do so. I'm sick and tired of everyone wanting to point fingers at the coaching staff. Step up and take some responsibility, Martin County, you don't offer enough support for ANYONE to feel welcome here.

So go ahead, keep moving your children to surrounding counties, deny your hometown and the pride you should have in it, just for a scholarship. If your children would stay here and you would offer the support needed, Sheldon Clark could develop a good team and program, and perhaps scouts would be knocking on our door. Until you decide to stay and offer the support needed, leave the coaches out of this.
There is plenty of support in Martin Co. but when you simply dont win it's hard for that support to be there, especially with the talent that he has had. And for the scholarships, isnt that what kids play for? If your not going to be recognized at a school, you have to go somewhere else.
Well said Wanger!!! :Thumbs:
Who will be the next head coach at Sheldon clark???? Who would take this job??? will it be Harless again???
twentythree Wrote:Is this thread real? I honestly don't know why you people THRIVE on talking about sports programs and how bad their coaches are. Let the upcoming season do the talking. And as far as JR leaving -- thats his choice. JR is making that choice because the community no longer supports him. (I think this thread is a good example of that.)

Go to the basketball games and look for yourself, there are almost no fans, and nearly ZERO parents. In order for any sports program to continue and develop into something good, a coach and the players need to know that the Parents and Fans are supporting them, financially, by purchasing tickets, and morally by BEING THERE. For YEARS (I have witnessed this first hand) people have done nothing but dog JR, and if I were him I would want to leave as well. JR is not a bad coach, he's made bad choices with even worse timing, but haven't we all? If he wants to leave, its a good time to do so. I'm sick and tired of everyone wanting to point fingers at the coaching staff. Step up and take some responsibility, Martin County, you don't offer enough support for ANYONE to feel welcome here.

So go ahead, keep moving your children to surrounding counties, deny your hometown and the pride you should have in it, just for a scholarship. If your children would stay here and you would offer the support needed, Sheldon Clark could develop a good team and program, and perhaps scouts would be knocking on our door. Until you decide to stay and offer the support needed, leave the coaches out of this.
JR is a bad coach because they have the talent just not the coaching. I think it would be a fantastic move to move ur kids in surronding communities so that dont have to go to sheldon clark...So i really dont know y u are taking up for this guy.
No offense, but if I played ,say football for Magoffin Co., and wanted to play in college, I probably need to move somewhere else.
braves_fan_10 Wrote:JR is a bad coach because they have the talent just not the coaching. I think it would be a fantastic move to move ur kids in surronding communities so that dont have to go to sheldon clark...So i really dont know y u are taking up for this guy.

I'm taking up for the guy because, personally, I like him. Like I said, he's made bad mistakes with even worse timing... but haven't we all?

I wish people would actually READ things before they post.

And no, getting a scholarship is not what playing a sport is all about. Its about school pride and the love of the game.
twentythree Wrote:I'm taking up for the guy because, personally, I like him. Like I said, he's made bad mistakes with even worse timing... but haven't we all?

I wish people would actually READ things before they post.

And no, getting a scholarship is not what playing a sport is all about. Its about school pride and the love of the game.

School pride is one thing. But the love of the game, if you love the game, wouldnt you want to be able to play it more after high school? I guess saving your parents $250,000 dollars at least in a college scholarship and free college doesnt make up for school pride for 4 years. Not to mention how much better off the kid will be with a college education instead of just 4 years of high school. In this area, with just a diploma you can work at Wal Mart, or say, "Would you like fries with that?" High school sports are for much more than school pride. It is a way to use your ability to better yourself on and off the playing arena.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I guess saving your parents $250,000 dollars at least in a college scholarship and free college doesnt make up for school pride for 4 years.

:yikes: Where are you sending your kids to college? My son is at NKU and at worst it will cost $50,00 if he goes for 5 years. $250,000 sounds a bit steep to me.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:School pride is one thing. But the love of the game, if you love the game, wouldnt you want to be able to play it more after high school? I guess saving your parents $250,000 dollars at least in a college scholarship and free college doesnt make up for school pride for 4 years. Not to mention how much better off the kid will be with a college education instead of just 4 years of high school. In this area, with just a diploma you can work at Wal Mart, or say, "Would you like fries with that?" High school sports are for much more than school pride. It is a way to use your ability to better yourself on and off the playing arena.

What college are you talking about? I graduated form UK and the most my education cost was probally around 50,000 and thats counting paying Lexinton's outragous rent for 4 years.
cats eye Wrote:What college are you talking about? I graduated form UK and the most my education cost was probally around 50,000 and thats counting paying Lexinton's outragous rent for 4 years.

I was thinking overall costs. The cost of school, extra spending money. Gas to visit home with. Gas to go watch games where your kids play. Time off from work to watch the games. Hotels and food on game days. Books, dates, entertainment, snacks... cost of school is alot more than what you actually pay the school.

You said 4 years in Lexington was $50,000, Did your parents save that money by you getting a free ride, or did your parents have to pay that much? I was just trying to make a point that there are more to high school sports than just school spirit. High school is to get an education, not just for sports and school spirit. Isnt high school supposed to get you ready for college? So why not assume that the reason for high school sports is to get you ready for college sports?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Back on topic please
eaglehoops Wrote:I have to agree with you. Coach Hammonds has not won at SC. He has lost more talent that he has coached and he just seems to never win the big game. He can beat the JC's and Paintsvilles in the regular season. But when the pressure is on he just can't seem to get his team motivated enough to compete in the district and regional tourneys.

Yas I agree, Most of our area coaches ar great people, but if they can't get the wins when needed sometimes they are let go in not such a nice way.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I was thinking overall costs. The cost of school, extra spending money. Gas to visit home with. Gas to go watch games where your kids play. Time off from work to watch the games. Hotels and food on game days. Books, dates, entertainment, snacks... cost of school is alot more than what you actually pay the school.

You said 4 years in Lexington was $50,000, Did your parents save that money by you getting a free ride, or did your parents have to pay that much? I was just trying to make a point that there are more to high school sports than just school spirit. High school is to get an education, not just for sports and school spirit. Isnt high school supposed to get you ready for college? So why not assume that the reason for high school sports is to get you ready for college sports?
I had a full ride for the first two years. Gave it up to join the army after 9/11. Finished school after spending a year in Iraq. The army picked up the tab after that.
Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't coach Evans go 7 years without a winning season at SC before JR. How long has Hammonds been there. How many loosing season has he had. I think he was an improvement over Evans but you still gotta win. I would like to see Roger Harless come in. Why did he ever leave Tug Valley?
cats eye Wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't coach Evans go 7 years without a winning season at SC before JR. How long has Hammonds been there. How many loosing season has he had. I think he was an improvement over Evans but you still gotta win. I would like to see Roger Harless come in. Why did he ever leave Tug Valley?

I Agree totally Evans was left in way too long, and maybe Hammonds wasn't left in long enough to prove himself, I don't know how many losing seasons he had though.
And again I agree that Roger Harless would be a perfect coach fr the Cardinals.
B-BallMOM Wrote:I Agree totally Evans was left in way too long, and maybe Hammonds wasn't left in long enough to prove himself, I don't know how many losing seasons he had though.
And again I agree that Roger Harless would be a perfect coach fr the Cardinals.

Harless is not the answer.

He took a state title team at Tug Valley and destoyed it because he cannot handle parents or talent.