Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Big man Point guard combo?
I think that i am goin to go with John Meade and Jimmy Stumbo as the BEST in the MOUNTIANS ever....

Then i think that Mikey Hall and Charles Ray ran a close second.
No contest in this thread... Rodney Rowe and Todd May are the best guard, big man combo....
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Your right Basketballfan, there is no contest, JR VanHoose and Tood Tackett are the best inside-outside combo ot play in the Mountains......over 5000 points scored between them. Four trips to the Sweet Sixteen, three final fours including a runner-up and a State Championship.

Lots of people will have lots of different opinions, but when you look for results it's hard to argue against these two. People will say they had a lot of help, and your right, they did have a lot of talent on their four state tournament teams, but even with all the talent the two of them still scored over 5000 points. Talent breeds talent.
mojo40 Wrote:I think that i am goin to go with John Meade and Jimmy Stumbo as the BEST in the MOUNTIANS ever....

Then i think that Mikey Hall and Charles Ray ran a close second.
Mikey Hall made everyone he played with look better.
Youngerthandirt Wrote:Your right Basketballfan, there is no contest, JR VanHoose and Tood Tackett are the best inside-outside combo ot play in the Mountains......over 5000 points scored between them. Four trips to the Sweet Sixteen, three final fours including a runner-up and a State Championship.

Lots of people will have lots of different opinions, but when you look for results it's hard to argue against these two. People will say they had a lot of help, and your right, they did have a lot of talent on their four state tournament teams, but even with all the talent the two of them still scored over 5000 points. Talent breeds talent.

I think you may be a youngster to say this stuff. Yes, I will agree that The two you mentioned were pretty good. But to say they are the best to ever come out of the mountians is a pretty big order...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
I'm guessing I'm a heck of a lot older than you.......maybe not, but like I said in my post, lots of people will have different opinions............even your statement of "no contest in this thread" made it sound as if your two picks were the ultimate. I'm just saying show me two players than play together for four years that have better stats and better career results and I'll back off my statement. It hard to argue with four sweet sixteens and three final fours.
So, just being nosey, which of the 4 that we are talking about is the best? Do you think that the Paintsville players were better than the Virgie players? In other words, do you think that JR was better than may and Tackett better than Rodney?
No on Todd May...he was much better than Vanhoose...was playing as much as Kenny Walker at UK...got homesick...tried it at Wake Forest...then Pikeville....
I will admit that Vanhoose and Tackett does have better stats than May and Rowe. But you also should admit that the other three players on the court and bench with coaches makes a difference also. I still think in my opinion that May and Rowe was the best to come from this area.
No need to compare, I think: different eras, different styles, different systems, different players, different coaches, different teammates. Todd May was a great player, there is no need to compare him (who graduated in 1982) and me who graduated in 1998 (some 16 years difference). I think comparisons for players from different eras do no justice to either side. You can talk stats to someone who thinks different than you 'till you are blue in the face and they will never agree with you. It does the players no justice and just makes people mad. The game changes, players change, etc. Just say that all four of us were great players in different times, 15 years from now someone else will be talking about players in that time against former players from now. I mean, does this topic really matter in the scheme of things?
That is a solid point J.R. It is impossible to compare different era's and the case in point is if anyone has watched the King Kelly tape of the 1956 State Tournament. Great players are just that and they help solidify our history of basketball in the mountains. A measuring stick as to have something concrete to go by. Both of these combo's were outstanding and from watching all of them play they represented the mountains with class.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:That is a solid point J.R. It is impossible to compare different era's and the case in point is if anyone has watched the King Kelly tape of the 1956 State Tournament. Great players are just that and they help solidify our history of basketball in the mountains. A measuring stick as to have something concrete to go by. Both of these combo's were outstanding and from watching all of them play they represented the mountains with class.

Thanks, that is just the point I was trying to make. It is unfair to the former players to compare them to other greats.
You were and still are wonderful JR... LOL....
That is what I was trying to say JR... you have to see beyond what is on paper to say who is the best at what. I just didnt have it polished like you did though.