Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Grade School in the Mountains.
Who do you think are the top middle school teams and players this coming year?
Betsy Layne...they will go undefeated in the conference and win the Floyd County Championship...plus I think they will do extremely well in the state tournament
I agree. They return everyone
SMS, or a team from Perry County, unless BL improved a whole lot it will not be them............
BL finished 3rd in the aau state tournament and they took their middle school team...
They might have improved then, but I saw them 3 times last year and they did not impress me much. I will ad they had one real nice player.

What division did they play in and what was the team name?
i'm not for sure about this...I was just told this by a few people in the Betsy Layne area...but I think the 13 or 14 yr. old division is what they played in and i'm also not sure on the name they used either maybe some one else can give you those facts...but I do know that only one of their starters last year was in 8th grade
They started one eighth grader that I can think of. But they also had at least one hold back. They should be very strong in the Floyd County Conference this season.
Two years ago Betsy Layne finished Second in the the state tournament and 3rd last year.
I hear that Dorton and Virgie will once again "bite" it out for the title..[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima...icon10.gif]
I have watched this team for a couple of years they seem to have really gotten better on their fundamentals fun to watch their coach seems to do a good job is he back this year or did he move on to a high school job cant remember his name ?? should be a good middle school year in floyd county...:thumpsup:
Harold Tackett is his name but i'm not sure about his job status
Harold was supposed to have interviewed for the BLHS job. The story I heard was that the BLHS coach said if Harold Tackett was their choice for his replacement he was staying. Of course we all know who "rumors" are.
Johnson County Middle is usually a solid team!!
Harold will be at Betsy Layne Elementary. He's working with those kids at a younger level, unlike coaches in the past teaching them the fundamentals. Trying to keep them all together to go to BLHS in the future to play under Brent, or who ever is up there. But Harold is staying at the grade school, so by the time they get in highschool they know a little bit about basketball.....
After watching Betsy Layne High School and their coach go through the talent the last 4 or 5 years most people would agree any coach would be an improvement must be some jealousey against Coach Tackett he has been very successfull don't they work together at the High School???
I wish both coaches good luck on their up-coming season
they do work together!!!!!!!!!!!!That is why he is prepping them in gradeschool and they'll stay in the community at the highschool level under coach Rose. He's doing it all for Rose, coaching at the grade school to teach em the fundamentals of the game before high school.
I'm glad to hear that sounds like both Betsy Layne Elem. and Coach Rose needs to give Tackett a big thank you ...maybe Coach Rose should get Tackett on his staff for some help.. schools need to keep all their athletes (school loyality is important)
Paintsville
thepharmacist Wrote:I hear that Dorton and Virgie will once again "bite" it out for the title..[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima...icon10.gif]

I see them both being down compaired to what they have been the last few years. The new hold back rule will hurt them more than people realize.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Sebastian Middle School in Jackson.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Usually Virgie has one of the top Middle School squads on a yearly basis, they produce alot of talent and are a great feeder program for Shelby Valley.
zone Wrote:I'm glad to hear that sounds like both Betsy Layne Elem. and Coach Rose needs to give Tackett a big thank you ...maybe Coach Rose should get Tackett on his staff for some help.. schools need to keep all their athletes (school loyality is important)

Yeah it is good. There has been so much talent come through Betsy Layne in the past and they have all split up: from Chase Gibson and his BL team back in the late 90s when John M. Stumbo loss to Betsy Layne when they played each other in the Floyd Co. Grade School Tourny Championship (both feeder schools to BLHS), and only a few of those boys on those 2 teams continued to play at the high school level. Now lately Tyler Hamilton at PC, the Honacker Twins, and I'm sure there are much more, but Harold is trying to keep them in the Betsy Layne community, and keep em together. They should be special if they stay together.
OnCeABobcat Wrote:Yeah it is good. There has been so much talent come through Betsy Layne in the past and they have all split up: from Chase Gibson and his BL team back in the late 90s when John M. Stumbo loss to Betsy Layne when they played each other in the Floyd Co. Grade School Tourny Championship (both feeder schools to BLHS), and only a few of those boys on those 2 teams continued to play at the high school level. Now lately Tyler Hamilton at PC, the Honacker Twins, and I'm sure there are much more, but Harold is trying to keep them in the Betsy Layne community, and keep em together. They should be special if they stay together.

I think some of BLES players are actually JMS recruits.
Dylan Maldanado and Nathan Martin both are from JMS
Pikeville Jr. High's 7th grade that are 8th graders this year. no opponent lcame close to them last year. they demolished everyone in pike co. then went on to the state tournament put on by the kba and finished in the elite 8!! out of 36 of the best schools in the state. Any one still believe Betsy Layne? haha

And Sebastian Middle is definitely a good team
yeah I'd give Pikeville 10 points that sais Betsy Layne would beat em.
Yea......uh........where did Betsy LAyne place again or was I mistaken.
Yeah Betsy Layne beat them in aau by 25 points without their coach.
The_Pistol Wrote:Yeah Betsy Layne beat them in aau by 25 points without their coach.

lol:thatsfunn