Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
43.75%
Betsy Layne
56.25%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley at Betsy Layne 10/17
Shelby Valley vs Betsy Layne. Thoughts?
I think this is a even match up but I see the Bobcats taking this one.
I like the Bobcats in this one
This is Betsy Layne's biggest game they've probably ever hosted to this point. You win this game, you're in the drivers seat to win your first ever district championship in program history and you'll get the opportunity to host two playoff games for the first time ever as well. A lot is on the line for the Bobcats in this one.

A lot of the same is on the line for Shelby Valley also. The Wildcats have played a tough schedule and they've put up some really good numbers, but they're a much different SV team compared the Russ Osborne years and even before that. The Wildcats throw the ball a lot. It's a air raid offense, so they love screens, short passes, and they love throwing to Stamper over the middle. They're not nearly as good running the ball as they have been in years past. The QB Johnson is their leading rusher.

I think it'll be a really fun football game to watch, but as of right now I'm leaning Betsy Layne. They'll have that place rocking Friday night, Jarrell is going to be aggressive with his play calling on both sides of the ball, and his team is going to be physical. I'd say it'll be a back and forth game, but I think BL wins, 36-30.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Westside
Shelby Valley is so predictable in what they are going to do. My guess is first year coach playing it safe. Betsy Layne will win easy at home.
Just heard that this game has changed to Thursday evening due to referee shortage. In any case, if SV plays like they did against Pike Central it will be a long night for the wildcats. I’m saying they will be ready for this game and it will be a shootout. Pretty evenly matched teams but I’m gonna go with SV 36-30
I got the Bobcats by 12. Being home on the hill for this big district matchup gives them the edge.
(10-13-2024, 09:18 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: This is Betsy Layne's biggest game they've probably ever hosted to this point. You win this game, you're in the drivers seat to win your first ever district championship in program history and you'll get the opportunity to host two playoff games for the first time ever as well.  A lot is on the line for the Bobcats in this one.

A lot of the same is on the line for Shelby Valley also. The Wildcats have played a tough schedule and they've put up some really good numbers, but they're a much different SV team compared the Russ Osborne years and even before that. The Wildcats throw the ball a lot. It's a air raid offense, so they love screens, short passes, and they love throwing to Stamper over the middle. They're not nearly as good running the ball as they have been in years past. The QB Johnson is their leading rusher.

I think it'll be a really fun football game to watch, but as of right now I'm leaning Betsy Layne. They'll have that place rocking Friday night, Jarrell is going to be aggressive with his play calling on both sides of the ball, and his team is going to be physical. I'd say it'll be a back and forth game, but I think BL wins, 36-30.

I agree 100%.  Great post, BlackcatAlum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Betsy Layne by 2 touchdowns maybe 3
At first glance it's hard to see Shelby Valley winning this. It's been a rough season in the Valley, a rebuilding year after Russ Osborne and all those receivers graduated. Combine that with a pretty difficult schedule and you get a 1-6 record.

As for Betsy Layne, who knows? They are an impressive 6-1, although I contend that Shelby Valley would have an identical record if they had played that Charmin-soft schedule. A close loss to Prestonsburg seems to show that the Bobcats are legit, but a 3-point win over Bath County would seem to raise doubts.

Shelby Valley won last year's game by 35 points. Has Betsy Layne erased that big of a gap in 1 year? Hard to say, but being at home should help. I'll go with Betsy Layne to win by a touchdown.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This game is very interesting to me. I do not see Betsy Layne running away by any means unless Shelby valley just turns the ball over a lot. Betsy Layne has played a weaker schedule so record is better but I watched them play Prestonsburg and their line was pretty physical. I thought for the most part Shelby valleys line was getting whipped by Pike Centrals and Brady Johnson made some good plays with his legs either scrambling and hitting a receiver down field or just tucking it and running. I think Betsy Layne is better than Pike Central but I don't think Shelby Valley played well verse central.

Shelby Valley will have to establish the run game with Johnson and that number 9. I think 9 for them is a good back and quick if they can get him a little room to run. And defense is going to have to get some stops. Pike centrals offense without the one kid was terrible and they ran about 4 different plays. This is Valleys weak spot for sure and Betsy Layne can put up points.

Big key to the game in my opinion is Valleys defense vs Betsy Laynes offense. I think Valley will score because they have some good athletes and Johnson can extend plays. But how much can Valleys defense stop Betsy Layne. If they can get a few stops early and get a lead to put some pressure on Betsy Layne I think would be huge. But it is going to be a tall task.

Good luck to both teams and I think this is going to be an exciting game so don't put too much stock into each teams records here.
This is a Thursday night game... an admin or mod needs to change the thread title date to 10/17.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Spud6
I got valley in a nail biter 14-12
(10-16-2024, 11:25 AM)FballFan67 Wrote: This game is very interesting to me. I do not see Betsy Layne running away by any means unless Shelby valley just turns the ball over a lot. Betsy Layne has played a weaker schedule so record is better but I watched them play Prestonsburg and their line was pretty physical. I thought for the most part Shelby valleys line was getting whipped by Pike Centrals and Brady Johnson made some good plays with his legs either scrambling and hitting a receiver down field or just tucking it and running. I think Betsy Layne is better than Pike Central but I don't think Shelby Valley played well verse central.

Shelby Valley will have to establish the run game with Johnson and that number 9. I think 9 for them is a good back and quick if they can get him a little room to run. And defense is going to have to get some stops. Pike centrals offense without the one kid was terrible and they ran about 4 different plays. This is Valleys weak spot for sure and Betsy Layne can put up points.

Big key to the game in my opinion is Valleys defense vs Betsy Laynes offense. I think Valley will score because they have some good athletes and Johnson can extend plays. But how much can Valleys defense stop Betsy Layne. If they can get a few stops early and get a lead to put some pressure on Betsy Layne I think would be huge. But it is going to be a tall task.

Good luck to both teams and I think this is going to be an exciting game so don't put too much stock into each teams records here.
That’s a good point and a good post. I think it could be a toss up for district between central Betsy Layne and valley. They always seem to play each other tough but who knows east ridge could beat valley a central nobody knows but I think central had a good game plan against valley this year just come up short went mattered. A central played Betsy Layne good last year and Betsy Layne played valley good for most part last year. This year they seem to be up and down valley a central even though valley schedule don’t show how good they are cause they played tougher competition that bl and central. But all in all I think this might be a good game.it all goes on match ups

If you stop Betsy Layne’s good back you stop them. I watch them against Prestonsburg an it was him about ever play. Jarrell is aggressive with that.
I think Shelby Valley has more play makers. That has not translated to the field this season. Offensively every skill kid can make plays for SV. Pike central had 1 kid that could make plays offensively and that game was 14-12. Not sure if the new coach is over coaching situations or struggling being a head coach. Some people are better assistants. Either way the time to win is now. If they don’t win the district it’s a disappointment.
(Yesterday, 03:22 PM)Ice61706 Wrote: I think Shelby Valley has more play makers. That has not translated to the field this season.  Offensively every skill kid can make plays for SV. Pike  central had 1 kid that could make plays offensively and that game was 14-12. Not sure if the new coach is over coaching situations or struggling being a head coach.  Some people are better assistants.  Either way the time to win is now. If they don’t win the district it’s a disappointment.

One of the three should win it this year. Be hard to next year with belfry comming back in

(10 hours ago)Hawks101 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 03:22 PM)Ice61706 Wrote: I think Shelby Valley has more play makers. That has not translated to the field this season.  Offensively every skill kid can make plays for SV. Pike  central had 1 kid that could make plays offensively and that game was 14-12. Not sure if the new coach is over coaching situations or struggling being a head coach.  Some people are better assistants.  Either way the time to win is now. If they don’t win the district it’s a disappointment.

One of the three should win it this year. Be hard to next year with belfry comming back in
And I think you are correct. I think he could have won that game the other night by at least 2 scores. But I think he coach’s his self out of winning I noticed in a lot of games this year

And I think you are correct. I think he could have won that game the other night by at least 2 scores. But I think he coach’s his self out of winning I noticed in a lot of games this year
I will say this central is young they have lot of seniors but one 2 or 3 start rest shophmore or freshmen. Which can be a good thing when building a program

I wouldn’t be surprised if valley wins it
Valley 28
Layne 22

I will say this central is young they have lot of seniors but one 2 or 3 start rest shophmore or freshmen. Which can be a good thing when building a program

I wouldn’t be surprised if valley wins it
Valley 28
Layne 22

I agree.
Already piss poor officiating in this game. Absolutely terrible
Betsy Layne has now lost to the two competent teams they have played this year… their true colors came out after the last interception, pitiful attitude and 0 respect.