•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Raceland 2024
You have to love the eternal optimism of Raceland fans. Heard for years that the 2023 team was the best in decades and maybe ever. They were very very good and after losing all those excellent players who started for years, suddenly the new guys this year are deemed bigger, faster and more athletic after a couple practices. LOL. I do think Raceland is still the 3rd best team in Class A though behind Pikeville and Campbellsville. But the Rams have a few beatdowns on their schedule...
Bigger, faster, stronger doesn’t replace experience. That’s what I have said multiple times. We are have more speed on this years team. We have a bigger line and the kids look healthier tbh. But if that speed and size doesn’t know where to go, it don’t mean squat. 2023 was a very good team and arguably the team with the best shot to win a title, but we saw how that went. We have some significant challenges on the front end of the schedule and on the last week of the regular season. But the outcome of those games won’t be much different than it was a year ago, minus the Pikeville regular season match up. Pikeville is at-least 2 scores better at that point in the season, imo. Ashland…probably 10 point favorite. Highlands…probably atleast 3 score favorite. LCA…3 scores. So yes…the schedule is tough…but it was last year as well.
(08-04-2024, 06:12 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Bigger, faster, stronger doesn’t replace experience. That’s what I have said multiple times. We are have more speed on this years team. We have a bigger line and the kids look healthier tbh. But if that speed and size doesn’t know where to go, it don’t mean squat. 2023 was a very good team and arguably the team with the best shot to win a title, but we saw how that went. We have some significant challenges on the front end of the schedule and on the last week of the regular season. But the outcome of those games won’t be much different than it was a year ago, minus the Pikeville regular season match up. Pikeville is at-least 2 scores better at that point in the season, imo. Ashland…probably 10 point favorite. Highlands…probably atleast 3 score favorite. LCA…3 scores. So yes…the schedule is tough…but it was last year as well.

Sorry, not buying it.

If the new guys really are bigger faster and stronger than the all-world guys you all talked up for years, the coaches should be run off for playing smaller, slower, weaker guys last year.

Bless your heart Scotty lol.
Not ALL the new guys are bigger faster stronger A lot of these kids would have been starters for Raceland in seasons prior to 2020. But when you have kids fighting for the same positions, and they are on an even playing field with size, speed, strength and athleticism, experience became the deciding factor. Knowledge of the system that built trust from the coaching staff and the fact that they were physically more capable and handling the wear and tear of the season. I would argue that a few of them should have either started or gotten more time last year. But I’m not arguing. There’s no point lol. I have also said and continue to say that none if this is a promise that it will equate to anymore of a successful season than what we have had in the past. But what I am saying is upfront, we are bigger, heavier and in a few spots stronger. At the skill positions we are a little smaller, but we are faster as a team. The one thing that can’t be replaced are the 4 linebackers we lost from last year.
I'm with you and you have me interested to go see the Belfry scrimmage to see with my own two eyes how much bigger stronger and faster these guys are over last year. 2024 Raceland should blow 2023 Raceland off the field is what I'm hearing and should make a statement against Belfry. A bigger stronger faster more athletic team than 2023 Raceland scares me, no kidding.
Just to be clear, Raceland is favored to get back to Kroger until someone not named Pikeville proves otherwise.
We got a long way to go regardless of how big fast and strong anyone is. All the 2024 blowing 2023 out of the water is JP being JP.

But fwiw the world of rivals could use more JPs lol and RADs
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArmChairHC's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-04-2024, 10:07 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: We got a long way to go regardless of how big fast and strong anyone is. All the 2024 blowing 2023 out of the water is JP being JP.

But fwiw the world of rivals could use more JPs lol and RADs

Dang it Scotty you're the one who said this team is bigger faster stronger and more athletic. RAD said it too. Bigger stronger faster more athletic teams dominate smaller slower weaker less athletic teams!

Agree about RAD and you are one of the good ones too. Raceland has a great program because their fans care so much.
Jet how come you always picking on and getting the Raceland fans started?

Have the Rams locked Ison in as the starter at QB? Or Is the battle still going?

What kind of size will the OL have?
In recent years we have had taller and slimmer kids on the OL. 6’2” 240-260 type kids. This year we are going to be a little shorter, wider, and heavier. Mobility is still there though. Couple of kids at or around 270/280. Couple around 240/260. And a few 300lb guys that will see time as well offensively. I guess the term bigger should have been heavier lol. Ison will likely be the start but he and Waller are still getting reps. Cooper is looking more like he will be a RB/DB.
(08-04-2024, 08:37 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm with you and you have me interested to go see the Belfry scrimmage to see with my own two eyes how much bigger stronger and faster these guys are over last year. 2024 Raceland should blow 2023 Raceland off the field is what I'm hearing and should make a statement against Belfry. A bigger stronger faster more athletic team than 2023 Raceland scares me, no kidding.
You will see nothing that impresses you  at the Belfry scrimmage. Historically this has been a very controlled scrimmage…old school. I like it for the first scrimmage of the year. Both teams try to get everyone reps. This scrimmage agreement with Belfry has been good for both teams over the years
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • jetpilot
(08-04-2024, 06:19 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-04-2024, 06:12 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Bigger, faster, stronger doesn’t replace experience. That’s what I have said multiple times. We are have more speed on this years team. We have a bigger line and the kids look healthier tbh. But if that speed and size doesn’t know where to go, it don’t mean squat. 2023 was a very good team and arguably the team with the best shot to win a title, but we saw how that went. We have some significant challenges on the front end of the schedule and on the last week of the regular season. But the outcome of those games won’t be much different than it was a year ago, minus the Pikeville regular season match up. Pikeville is at-least 2 scores better at that point in the season, imo. Ashland…probably 10 point favorite. Highlands…probably atleast 3 score favorite. LCA…3 scores. So yes…the schedule is tough…but it was last year as well.

Sorry, not buying it.

If the new guys really are bigger faster and stronger than the all-world guys you all talked up for years, the coaches should be run off for playing smaller, slower, weaker guys last year.

Bless your heart Scotty lol.
I said overall speed and athleticism is better than last year. And it is.  None of them know where they are going right now though. So far it’s been a little painful to watch. Going to take a while to get on the same page
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAM-A-DEVIL's post:
  • jetpilot
^^^^100% dead on.
Long way to go upfront. Long way to go in the system…5-5 looking like the realistic record, imo. We have some good speed, but line play is weak up to this point in the scrimmage.
That was an ugly scrimmage for the Rams. Belfry is good and I think better than last year but still, that was a spanking. It’s first scrimmage of the year and a lot can change but that wasn’t great.
No it really wasn’t. Tbh. There was just as much rotation in groups and sets as there has been in practices. I know we have really went one way with a lot of kids the past few years, but we had the luxury of having a lot of upper class kids. Atleast from my point of view this is a year that some iron man ball needs to be played and put your best 11 on the field at all times and spare them when you can. We have speed upfront. We have strength upfront. Problem is it’s not combined together like it has been in the past. But, we all expected these growing pains and the regular season will without question have us ready for the playoffs.

I think the staff is still searching for the right combination of guys upfront. We will know a little more next week, as the scrimmage with Wheelersburg is always 3 quarters of live varsity game. Still a long way to go, but I love this scrimmage series with belfry. Especially with a young team like we have this year.
I watched some before I found the hazard scrimmage. I couldn’t tell to much because the camera was to far away. But saw Belfry breaks several runs for touchdowns. Did Raceland use both quarterbacks or just Ison?
It looked like they used both. And used a lot of different kids in each series. I always take this scrimmage with a grain of salt simply bc it usually goes that way. But what concerned me was Belfry breaking off so many damn big plays. We really got dominated on the LOS.
(08-09-2024, 10:51 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: It looked like they used both. And used a lot of different kids in each series. I always take this scrimmage with a grain of salt simply bc it usually goes that way. But what concerned me was Belfry breaking off so many damn big plays. We really got dominated on the LOS.
Belfry line is their strength this year I think but I wish I could have watched this game on film so I could really see what happened on those big plays but from watching at game speed it looked like Raceland just took their selfs out of some of the plays but with experience all that will be fixed and Raceland will be fine but with their schedule they definitely are going to take some lumps at the start but they will be ready at the end of the season and I think make a run but the only bad thing about the tough schedule it puts you on the road
Like I said . Got some talent but have no clue right now. Stiltner had some good runs. Belfry offense in mid season form
Belfry got huge push up front and scored at will 5-6 times early and quite a few big runs. Raceland barely made it across midfield and didn’t very often. Pirates threw the ball some and didn’t have to but working on some things they will try to do more this year. I understand Rams are searching for who they’re going to play together and that’s what these are for but the scrimmage was ugly for them. That can change a lot as I said but hard to spin tonight as encouraging. Not the best showing but they lost a ton and growing pains were expected.
Yup. I was cautiously optimistic after the first week of pads. But after camp I was brought back a little more to reality. We are just still really REALLY young. I don’t think guys are playing free yet. Which is a big factor of our programs growth the last few years. Teams full of Jr’s and SRs really make a difference lol

Schedule is brutal. But if we stay healthy and can keep our focus, we will be fine to be back in a similar position we have been in the last several years with atleast a shot at getting to Kroger.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArmChairHC's post:
  • Belichick
(08-09-2024, 11:45 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Yup. I was cautiously optimistic after the first week of pads. But after camp I was brought back a little more to reality. We are just still really REALLY young. I don’t think guys are playing free yet. Which is a big factor of our programs growth the last few years. Teams full of Jr’s and SRs really make a difference lol

Schedule is brutal. But if we stay healthy and can keep our focus, we will be fine to be back in a similar position we have been in the last several years with atleast a shot at getting to Kroger.
Agree. They don’t give out invitations to Kroger in August.  Rams will still be a factor in the playoffs.  More impressed with Belfry than worried for Raceland.
The Raceland coaching staff has always went out of its way to make sure that there is nothing that they put on the field that resembles a starting unit in this first scrimmage…. Or at least it seems that way to me. I think that’s a good coaching strategy. These kids need reps more than the feeling of winning a pretend game with no scoreboard. This group of Rams needs the lumps they will take in the beginning of the season. If they can stay positive they will reap the rewards at the end of the season. As far as Belfry goes….ive been told by many down that he at that this is the first time in a couple years that they feel the line is back to Belfry standards. I look for Belfry to have a good year
(08-09-2024, 10:51 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: It looked like they used both. And used a lot of different kids in each series. I always take this scrimmage with a grain of salt simply bc it usually goes that way. But what concerned me was Belfry breaking off so many damn big plays. We really got dominated on the LOS.
Belfry should win the LOS battle in most games. A lot of these kids started as freshman and are now juniors and seniors. They are very good. Qb is in his 3rd year starting. Raceland fans shouldn’t be so down. Belfry has a lot of talent on the line this year.
Is Kool Hits going stream Raceland games again this year?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The real question is ... can they win the district to avoid a 2nd round matchup with Sayre? I'm assuming they wiped Fairview's roster clean again this year, and Nicholas is still way down, but I think the Paris game will determine if they are still a top 3 team in 1A.
(08-16-2024, 09:36 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: The real question is ... can they win the district to avoid a 2nd round matchup with Sayre? I'm assuming they wiped Fairview's roster clean again this year, and Nicholas is still way down, but I think the Paris game will determine if they are still a top 3 team in 1A.
Pairs lost a lot …it’s hard to run the ball when nobody is blocking. I really hope that last year wasn’t a flash in the pan for Pairs cause 1A desperately needs more quality football programs. I would love to see them competing at a high level consistently again
(08-16-2024, 09:36 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: The real question is ... can they win the district to avoid a 2nd round matchup with Sayre? I'm assuming they wiped Fairview's roster clean again this year, and Nicholas is still way down, but I think the Paris game will determine if they are still a top 3 team in 1A.
Why? Did sayres defense learn to stop 443 yards on the ground.
^^^True. And this schedule is awful...

Nickname: Spartans
Coach: Chad Pennington
Class: 1A
District: 5
Roster: Click here
Other Seasons for Sayre Football:

2024 KY Football
Return to latest scores for 2024 KY Football
DATE OPPONENT SITE SCORE STATS?
Fri, Aug 23, 24 Holy Cross (Covington) at Sayre Athletic Complex 7:30 PM ⇄
Fri, Aug 30, 24 Bracken County away 7:30 PM ⇄