Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Prestonsburg 2024
As an outsider with no inside knowledge of any of the Floyd County programs it’s crazy for me to think that kids leave Pburg for football to play at Betsy Layne. To me it’s about like if a kid left Belfry to go over and play at Pike Central. Pburg used to be on the level that Belfry, Pikeville, and Johnson Central are now. But that was a while ago and none of the kids in school now can remember those days. To them all they know is Betsy Layne has been the top team in Floyd. County. Heck I’m sure most of them don’t remember South Floyd and Allen central being a school. And why are they leaving without ever giving the new coach a shot? Do they not like him and the staff?
(06-23-2024, 11:53 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: As an outsider with no inside knowledge of any of the Floyd County programs it’s crazy for me to think that kids leave Pburg for football to play at Betsy Layne. To me it’s about like if a kid left Belfry to go over and play at Pike Central. Pburg used to be on the level that Belfry, Pikeville, and Johnson Central are now. But that was a while ago and none of the kids in school now can remember those days. To them all they know is Betsy Layne has been the top team in Floyd. County. Heck I’m sure most of them don’t remember South Floyd and Allen central being a school. And why are they leaving without ever giving the new coach a shot? Do they not like him and the staff?
These kids have had Betsy Layne beat them in middle school ball all the way up. The coach over there is a better option to learn the game from. If coach Hager doesn’t show promise this year I’m probably be moving my kid to Betsy Layne too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Concerned_Blackcat's post:
  • Fanatic42, Westside
(06-23-2024, 11:53 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: As an outsider with no inside knowledge of any of the Floyd County programs it’s crazy for me to think that kids leave Pburg for football to play at Betsy Layne. To me it’s about like if a kid left Belfry to go over and play at Pike Central. Pburg used to be on the level that Belfry, Pikeville, and Johnson Central are now. But that was a while ago and none of the kids in school now can remember those days. To them all they know is Betsy Layne has been the top team in Floyd. County. Heck I’m sure most of them don’t remember South Floyd and Allen central being a school. And why are they leaving without ever giving the new coach a shot? Do they not like him and the staff?
That’s a really good question. I do know that the majority of the ones who left are kids who have transferred around a couple times already but they’re pretty big losses on an already limited roster. Most kids want to win now and they know that’s likely not going to happen this year. Coach Hager will have to build this thing from the ground up.
(06-23-2024, 03:01 AM)BCF4L Wrote: Pburg just had a few transfer to Betsy Layne this week from what I’m hearing.
according to D-D sports Coleton Lafferty went to Betsy Layne...
(06-24-2024, 12:32 AM)Blacksmith Wrote:
(06-23-2024, 03:01 AM)BCF4L Wrote: Pburg just had a few transfer to Betsy Layne this week from what I’m hearing.
according to D-D sports Coleton Lafferty went to Betsy Layne...
Pburg has lost 3 players confirmed to Betsy Layne since conclusion of last season. Top 2 linemen from last years team.
  • Fanatic42, Westside
The people who are content with the fact these kids transferred need to understand that things may be rough but if they were okay with the kids transferring to “trim the fat” then they need to be content with it being a building process but it doesn’t seem like that PBurg is content with that.

I feel for the HC.
Just a toxic atmosphere. Nothing to do with the coach. Too many hands in the pot. Hopefully the atmosphere changes. Right now most of the ones making it toxic don’t even realize their the problem.
[-] The following 2 users Like Upnorth's post:
  • Atavus, Concerned_Blackcat
Pburg needs to get rid of the parents some how. They are the problem. When it gets tough they just take their kids and transfer them.out instead of staying and competing and making pburg Great again. Not the coaches fault these kids are transferring. Better look in the mirror
[-] The following 1 user Likes TE#82's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(06-24-2024, 12:01 PM)TE#82 Wrote: Pburg needs to get rid of the parents some how. They are the problem. When it gets tough they just take their kids and transfer them.out instead of staying and competing and making pburg Great again. Not the coaches fault these kids are transferring. Better look in the mirror. 
Would you leave your kid in a toxic environment just because that’s your hometown? 

it’s not just about winning and losing football games, this town and the athletics associated with it, is extremely toxic. There’s a handful of people who are football dumb but think they know everything and they want to manipulate and twist it so their children are the “stars” when they’re less talented than the teammates that are losing playing time to them.
  • Atavus, Blacksmith
I’m not really sure whose fault it is. You can’t blame the parents for wanting their kids to go somewhere they can compete. The kids that transferred were seniors. They knew wins were going to be hard to come by this season so they left to try and win something in their final year.

Obviously it’s not Hager’s fault either because he inherited this mess. This collapse falls solely on the administration that allowed this to happen 6-7 years ago. They had the option to get rid of the problem before the mass exodus to Paintsville and they refused to do so. Then a year AFTER the exodus, they did what the parents demanded but it was too late. Paintsville benefitted and Prestonsburg will never be the same.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • Blacksmith
(06-24-2024, 01:21 PM)BCF4L Wrote: I’m not really sure whose fault it is. You can’t blame the parents for wanting their kids to go somewhere they can compete. The kids that transferred were seniors. They knew wins were going to be hard to come by this season so they left to try and win something in their final year.

Obviously it’s not Hager’s fault either because he inherited this mess. This collapse falls solely on the administration that allowed this to happen 6-7 years ago. They had the option to get rid of the problem before the mass exodus to Paintsville and they refused to do so. Then a year AFTER the exodus, they did what the parents demanded but it was too late. Paintsville benefitted and Prestonsburg will never be the same.
I think that Exodus has set up the environment that’s here now. I don’t think it’ll ever recover.
Yes it was the exodus and all those involved. It was the city itself as well. The people that go involved was just crazy. You have to have a coach that can take control. Then hope you don’t have a parent with enough money to take the whole team some where else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Upnorth's post:
  • Atavus
What a shame. Prestonsburg football, now a joke...
(06-24-2024, 02:00 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 01:21 PM)BCF4L Wrote: I’m not really sure whose fault it is. You can’t blame the parents for wanting their kids to go somewhere they can compete. The kids that transferred were seniors. They knew wins were going to be hard to come by this season so they left to try and win something in their final year.

I think that Exodus has set up the environment that’s here now. I don’t think it’ll ever recover.
This is one of the few things we will agree on. I believe if that group of kids had stayed, we would be looking at a much different program than we have now. I'm not saying they would have won a championship, but they would have competed at a high level. When they left, it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouth's and that taste has never left. Prestonsburg was once viewed as a premiere program who pulled in athletes from within and outside the county, and now we are losing kids to Betsy Layne. I'm going to support Hager until he gives me a reason not to, but he has a mess to clean up, and people need to realize this will be an uphill battle. Success isn't going to happen overnight, and if the Prestonsburg faithful are not patient, they will continue to lose athletes to surrounding schools. Hopefully, Hager is prepared for what he signed up for. Hail Blackcats!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatPride32

Good post, I agree... I think Prestonsburg had an "Oh crap" moment but it came too late.. Some actual knowledgeable folks and I don't mean perpetual complainers had told staff at Pburg that something like this(the exodus) was going to happen and they laughed it off. They did not believe it until it was too late.. I say this , not as a complaint but just an observation and being someone who went there and played sports there I feel I have he right to say it... Some aspects of Prestonsburg sports have always had a "Im above you and Ill do it my way even if its not the right way or best way for the kids/program" kind of attitude... Now its finally biting them in the arse...
 Poor Hager is gonna have a hard uphill battle and I wish him the best.. Really I do but its gonna take time to clean this mess up.. Help the guy out, give him some resources and for gods sake just let him run the program...
And no, I cant blame parents for doing what they feel is best for their kids.. Can anyone really
(06-25-2024, 11:11 AM)Blacksmith Wrote:

Good post, I agree... I think Prestonsburg had an "Oh crap" moment but it came too late.. Some actual knowledgeable folks and I don't mean perpetual complainers had told staff at Pburg that something like this(the exodus) was going to happen and they laughed it off. They did not believe it until it was too late.. I say this , not as a complaint but just an observation and being someone who went there and played sports there I feel I have he right to say it... Some aspects of Prestonsburg sports have always had a "Im above you and Ill do it my way even if its not the right way or best way for the kids/program" kind of attitude... Now its finally biting them in the arse...
 Poor Hager is gonna have a hard uphill battle and I wish him the best.. Really I do but its gonna take time to clean this mess up.. Help the guy out, give him some resources and for gods sake just let him run the program...
And no, I cant blame parents for doing what they feel is best for their kids.. Can anyone really
Agree with everything you said. For some reason, Prestonsburg has always had that Championship “holier than thou” attitude without the championships. If the kids that went to Paintsville stayed at home, I think we are talking about a 2A state championship appearance at the least. Instead, it turned into a title for Paintsville and a sinking ship at Prestonsburg that not only affects football but every sport.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BCF4L's post:
  • Blacksmith
Will Hager run the double wing or spread it some with the QB?
Hager may bring excitement but he’s still young in this development- Brandon Brewer was and is an excellent X&Os coach. The man can coach football but people didn’t give him a fair shake.
(06-25-2024, 04:08 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: Hager may bring excitement but he’s still young in this development- Brandon Brewer was and is an excellent X&Os coach. The man can coach football but people didn’t give him a fair shake.
How much more did he need. Brewer was a nice guy but he wasn’t bought in. To turn Pburg around you will have to have someone obsessed. That has their hands in all levels of the program. Youth up. They will have to sale the team to the community and fight off a lot of negativity. Plus they will have to inspire. Brewer was never going to be that guy.
(06-25-2024, 09:30 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
(06-25-2024, 04:08 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: Hager may bring excitement but he’s still young in this development- Brandon Brewer was and is an excellent X&Os coach. The man can coach football but people didn’t give him a fair shake.
How much more did he need. Brewer was a nice guy but he wasn’t bought in. To turn Pburg around you will have to have someone obsessed. That has their hands in all levels of the program. Youth up. They will have to sale the team to the community and fight off a lot of negativity. Plus they will have to inspire. Brewer was never going to be that guy.
Brewer was never going to be that guy because the community didn’t want him to be.

not to mention the absolute lack of talent he had to coach with.
(06-25-2024, 10:43 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
Brewer was never going to be that guy because the community didn’t want him to be.

It's apparent that you only get on here to bash Prestonsburg. I get it, there are a lot of issues with people around the program, parents, and other factors that have led to the down fall of the football program, but the only way to build it back up is to support it. If Brewer didn't have talent on his coaching staff, it was on him. He was the head man, so therefore he picks his staff. Personally, I liked Brewer, but it was time to part ways. Is Hager the answer, I don't know and I certainly hope so. People need to be patient, because this year they are going to take their lumps! This is a rebuilding year, literally. A lot of young kids are going to be thrown to the wolves, and they are going to get their feet wet early. If Hager can put a competitive team on the field, and keep all of the kids in place, it will be a successful year, regardless of the record. Hager didn't create this mess, but the expectation is that he will take steps in fixing it this year. Prestonsburg has a lot of talent in the Middle School, and a strong freshman class. If Hager can take steps in the right direction this year, there is no reason for Prestonsburg not to win the district for the foreseeable future.
[-] The following 2 users Like Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Blacksmith
(06-26-2024, 11:02 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:

It's apparent that you only get on here to bash Prestonsburg. I get it, there are a lot of issues with people around the program, parents, and other factors that have led to the down fall of the football program, but the only way to build it back up is to support it. If Brewer didn't have talent on his coaching staff, it was on him. He was the head man, so therefore he picks his staff. Personally, I liked Brewer, but it was time to part ways. Is Hager the answer, I don't know and I certainly hope so. People need to be patient, because this year they are going to take their lumps! This is a rebuilding year, literally. A lot of young kids are going to be thrown to the wolves, and they are going to get their feet wet early. If Hager can put a competitive team on the field, and keep all of the kids in place, it will be a successful year, regardless of the record. Hager didn't create this mess, but the expectation is that he will take steps in fixing it this year. Prestonsburg has a lot of talent in the Middle School, and a strong freshman class. If Hager can take steps in the right direction this year, there is no reason for Prestonsburg not to win the district for the foreseeable future.
I was referring to player talent.
(06-26-2024, 11:02 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote:

The issues around the program have led it to the spot it’s in. The principal allowed parents to run his school and then overrun the football program. 

And the funny thing is, the kids of those parents aren’t going to see the benefit of moving on from Brewer because they’ll all be  graduated before Pburg is capable of winning again.
Update, the Pburg to BL count is up to 5 now, has there been any going to any other teams?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther88's post:
  • Westside
I mean if the HC is going on vacation during the month of June outside of dead period time, can you blame the kids for leaving? One of those things if it doesn’t look important to him why would they wanna stay?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • Westside
(06-26-2024, 05:43 PM)Panther88 Wrote: Update, the Pburg to BL count is up to 5 now, has there been any going to any other teams?
Who new has transferred to BL?
It's going to be funny when these kids go to these other schools and their parents can't run the program.. Hager and his staff don't need the distractions from these parents and kids who think they are above the program.. whatever happened to challenging yourself and others on the team to get better. Be the new era of pburg football. But I guess it's easier when mommy and daddy just take them and go somewhere else. IMO they shouldn't be eligible
(06-26-2024, 08:55 PM)TE#82 Wrote: It's going to be funny when these kids go to these other schools and their parents can't run the program.. Hager and his staff don't need the distractions from these parents and kids who think they are above the program.. whatever happened to challenging yourself and others on the team to get better. Be the new era of pburg football. But I guess it's easier when mommy and daddy just take them and go somewhere else. IMO they shouldn't be eligible
That generation of kids is gone. Why would you go through a 2-9, 3-8 season when you can go 15 mins down the road and compete for championships
(06-26-2024, 09:14 PM)Concerned_Blackcat Wrote:
(06-26-2024, 08:55 PM)TE#82 Wrote: It's going to be funny when these kids go to these other schools and their parents can't run the program.. Hager and his staff don't need the distractions from these parents and kids who think they are above the program.. whatever happened to challenging yourself and others on the team to get better. Be the new era of pburg football. But I guess it's easier when mommy and daddy just take them and go somewhere else. IMO they shouldn't be eligible
That generation of kids is gone. Why would you go through a 2-9, 3-8 season when you can go 15 mins down the road and compete for championships
Exactly what kind of championship are you talking about? Definitely not a state championship. District? Don’t really know the rosters of both but didn’t Betsy Layne graduate a special senior class? Are they expected to be able to compete for a region championship this year? Can they be a top 10 2A team this year? I don’t get why the kids are leaving? Brewer was the blame before but now he’s gone and kids are still leaving so maybe he wasn’t as big of a problem as they said. I wonder if they would be leaving if Pburg would have hired the coach from Pikeville.
(06-26-2024, 05:48 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: I mean if the HC is going on vacation during the month of June outside of dead period time, can you blame the kids for leaving? One of those things if it doesn’t look important to him why would they wanna stay?

you must think taking the first week after dead period off is program suicide right?