Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Breathitt County
Two months ago thought this team could be sneaky good. But losing 3 key players to car accident really hurt them on defense especially. But they still have some really good weapons returning and some nice younger players coming up as well. I think this can be solid team though. Hopefully Moore and Holcomb can work magic. Like said still lot potential on this team for next 3/4 years
Has anyone heard if both the combs boys are out all season I know bowling will be just hadn't heard much on the other two in awhile
(06-14-2024, 08:56 AM)Bigbluewarehouse Wrote: Has anyone heard if both the combs boys are out all season I know bowling will be just hadn't heard much on the other two in awhile
 Kory Combs has chance possibly come back mid season. I sure hope he does. Had great career. Kylan and Ethan is longer recovery. But wouldn’t surprise me if they play in 2025. All 3 of them are tough as nails.
[-] The following 4 users Like Statebound19's post:
  • Bigbluewarehouse, Shogun, Tailback44, Walt Longmire
(06-14-2024, 12:44 AM)Statebound19 Wrote: Two months ago thought this team could be sneaky good. But losing 3 key players to car accident really hurt them on defense especially. But they still have some really good weapons returning and some nice younger players coming up as well. I think this can be solid team though. Hopefully Moore and Holcomb can work magic. Like said still lot potential on this team for next 3/4 years

I think Holcomb coming back brought a lot of excitement and maybe some higher expectations to the team. But the fact is you have to have great teams to win State Championships. Does Breathitt have some nice players ? They sure do. Do they have enough nice players to win a State Championship ? They sure don’t.

I remember those State Championship teams that Holcomb coached. They were big , strong & physical. I think their JV squads would have beaten any varsity team Breathitt has had in the last 5-10 years.

Has kids gotten that much softer or has losing some population hurt that bad ? I notice it on all the mountain teams. Very few kids tackle hard , very few kids like contact. There may be 3-4 kids on the roster that you can tell lifts weights.
Who’s the favorite to be QB?
(06-14-2024, 12:22 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 12:44 AM)Statebound19 Wrote: Two months ago thought this team could be sneaky good. But losing 3 key players to car accident really hurt them on defense especially. But they still have some really good weapons returning and some nice younger players coming up as well. I think this can be solid team though. Hopefully Moore and Holcomb can work magic. Like said still lot potential on this team for next 3/4 years

I think Holcomb coming back brought a lot of excitement and maybe some higher expectations to the team. But the fact is you have to have great teams to win State Championships. Does Breathitt have some nice players ? They sure do. Do they have enough nice players to win a State Championship ? They sure don’t. 

I remember those State Championship teams that Holcomb coached. They were big , strong & physical. I think their JV squads would have beaten any varsity team Breathitt has had in the last 5-10 years.

Has kids gotten that much softer or has losing some population hurt that bad ? I notice it on all the mountain teams. Very few kids tackle hard , very few kids like contact. There may be 3-4 kids on the roster that you can tell lifts weights.
You must be looking at different kids than I am. I can tell a lot kids have got bigger. The game changed a lot since had them teams in 90’s . 95/96 team wasn’t huge but now 2002 team was big upfront. I never said they win state championships this year. But the following year they will compete for championship. If all stay healthy. I think team can make to regionals this year though if win district. Your going see a really good product for next 4-5 years on field. They have a lot young talent from what I’m hearing maybe adding more young talent

(06-14-2024, 08:54 PM)mandan Wrote: Who’s the favorite to be QB?

Not heard anyone saying. They been tight lipped about it.
(06-15-2024, 12:47 AM)Statebound19 Wrote:

You must be looking at different kids than I am. I can tell a lot kids have got bigger. The game changed a lot since had them teams in 90’s . 95/96 team wasn’t huge but now 2002 team was big upfront. I never said they win state championships this year. But the following year they will compete for championship. If all stay healthy. I think team can make to regionals this year though if win district. Your going see a really good product for next 4-5 years on field. They have a lot young talent from what I’m hearing maybe adding more young talent

I think the 95/96 team had plenty of size. Probably the most physical roster Breathitt has had.

What kids have gotten bigger & stronger ? Ive seen plenty of kids play 4 years of high school football and them graduate looking like they’ve never been in a weight room. I hope you’re right tho. I plan on watching when they come to town.
(06-15-2024, 01:17 AM)Chubby Smith Wrote:
(06-15-2024, 12:47 AM)Statebound19 Wrote:

I think the 95/96 team had plenty of size. Probably the most physical roster Breathitt has had.

What kids have gotten bigger & stronger ? Ive seen plenty of kids play 4 years of high school football and them graduate looking like they’ve never been in a weight room. I hope you’re right tho. I plan on watching when they come to town.
I do agree with that statement about most physical team but size 95 nor 96 was not huge or big team. You had two linemen under 200 lbs on both teams but they were different breed of kids than we have today. Pads made look bigger what they were. But tough as nails. From what I heard they have 10-11 over 300 bench on team right now they seem really strong. We see how translates to field!!! I still think year way from making some real noise in 2A .

I know of 3 kids that’s left the Breathitt program over the QB spot. So I’m sure Kyle has an ace up his sleeve.
Breathitt returning starters Offense

RB- Gibson( leading rusher)
RB-Kory Combs( injured)
RB-Kylan Combs( injured out for season)
FB-Tolson
WR- Hollon
WR-Sperry
WR- Barker
TE- Terry
TE- Barnett
OL- Hall
OL- Abner

Key losses- Qb- Stacy, RB/WR Bowling, OL- Parker, OL- Miller, OL- Neace( transfer)

New Comers- Miller OL, Bird OL, Skidmore OL, B. Thomas OL, WR& RB E. Thomas, QB- Crisp & Hollon
Didn’t Sperry bail on this team last year? Is he even playing?
(06-17-2024, 01:44 AM)bac2369 Wrote: Didn’t Sperry bail on this team last year? Is he even playing?

From what I have heard he is playing.
Sperry playing?
I heard sperry was playing!
Senior year , Holcomb on the sideline.. I would expect Sperry to play. Should be a fun year for the young lad.
Should be interesting competition for who going be starting QB ? Does coach Moore go with older Crisp who is good size with decent arm and pretty strong hard nose runner or does go with younger Hollan who is very talented freshman with cannon for arm . Very knowledgeable football iq.
The problem with a freshman Qb is most look great in middle school but when they move to high school ball a lot of kids have trouble throwing it. It usually takes a year or so to get used to it and the speed of the game is different. That being said I would probably go with the freshman and just throw him into the fire it may not show results this year but would show good results in the long run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Buford T Justice's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(06-21-2024, 10:13 PM)Buford T Justice Wrote: The problem with a freshman Qb is most look great in middle school but when they move to high school ball a lot of kids have trouble throwing it. It usually takes a year or so to get used to it and the speed of the game is different. That being said I would probably go with the freshman and just throw him into the fire it may not show results this year but would show good results in the long run.
I agree with speed game on freshman it going look a lot faster.   I don’t think has no trouble throwing bigger ball though. I seen video of him throwing he can spin it. Deep ball over 50 yards can throw 15-20 yard outs on rope. I’m sure be learning curve new offense.
What does Breathitt’s coaching staff do? Who do they prepare ? Why do they struggle so bad with judging kids’s skills ? Are there too many dads involved ? We’re talking about a program that used to be a powerhouse.

Is it safe to say that the Basketball , Baseball and maybe even Softball program has outshined the the football program the last several seasons ? Could you imagine the success Breathitt would have had with Shannon Hoskins & John Meehan coaching at Breathitt the last 10 years ? Or how much better would have the football team done if they had all their athletes playing ? Not blaming the coaches on this one but they have to find a way to get all their kids out.

Breathitt County seems to always produce athletes but if we’re being honest.. they very seldom , if ever , hire good coaches.

That’s my 2 cents for today.

(06-22-2024, 06:37 PM)Statebound19 Wrote:
(06-21-2024, 10:13 PM)Buford T Justice Wrote: The problem with a freshman Qb is most look great in middle school but when they move to high school ball a lot of kids have trouble throwing it. It usually takes a year or so to get used to it and the speed of the game is different. That being said I would probably go with the freshman and just throw him into the fire it may not show results this year but would show good results in the long run.
I agree with speed game on freshman it going look a lot faster.   I don’t think has no trouble throwing bigger ball though. I seen video of him throwing he can spin it. Deep ball over 50 yards can throw 15-20 yard outs on rope. I’m sure be learning curve new offense.

I’ve seen the videos and no doubt about it the Hollon kid is talented. I question his physicality and size for playing the QB position. Not saying he won’t ever get there but I think he’s at least 2 years away from being a varsity QB. I think a lot of fans / parents and some coaches get it wrong trying to rush a kid into a position. Sure we all want to play as freshmen but in most cases they’re just not physically ready at that age and there’s nothing wrong with that.
(06-22-2024, 06:57 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote: What does Breathitt’s coaching staff do? Who do they prepare ? Why do they struggle so bad with judging kids’s skills ? Are there too many dads involved ? We’re talking about a program that used to be a powerhouse. 

Is it safe to say that the Basketball , Baseball and maybe even Softball program has outshined the the football program the last several seasons ? Could you imagine the success Breathitt would have had with Shannon Hoskins & John Meehan coaching at Breathitt the last 10 years ? Or how much better would have the football team done if they had all their athletes playing ? Not blaming the coaches on this one but they have to find a way to get all their kids out.

Breathitt County seems to always produce athletes but if we’re being honest.. they very seldom ,  if ever , hire good coaches.

I’ve seen the videos and no doubt about it the Hollon kid is talented. I question his physicality and size for playing the QB position. Not saying he won’t ever get there but I think he’s at least 2 years away from being a varsity QB. I think a lot of fans / parents and some coaches get it wrong trying to rush a kid into a position. Sure we all want to play as freshmen but in most cases they’re just not physically ready at that age and there’s nothing wrong with that.
As freshman maybe right he will have learn curve for sure. He is undersize but he is freshman and he grow his cousin said he was almost 5’10 what measured him at. but his physicality I don’t question because he pretty tough kid . All them
hollans are tough though. I played with his uncle who tough nails. But  I don’t think Hollan starts right away but I think have hard time keeping off field. I bet go with older Crisp to start the season . But I’m not coach so who knows.

I’m not sure why say not hired good coaches. Breathitt has had 3 coaches in their lifetime of football. I think Coach Moore take a lot criticism but he was dealt bad had to start. He has some season that they under achieved but what people don’t know when state come in they shut down all youth football for 5 years. Was no middle school football or grade school. If not for people in community start lumberjack youth program they be in dark days. Breathitt had a lot bad stuff happen in last few years and dealt with a lot. But I really think next 4 years going be great product on field. Even this year I think be a lot better than what people think.
(06-22-2024, 10:27 PM)Statebound19 Wrote:
(06-22-2024, 06:57 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote: What does Breathitt’s coaching staff do? Who do they prepare ? Why do they struggle so bad with judging kids’s skills ? Are there too many dads involved ? We’re talking about a program that used to be a powerhouse. 

Breathitt County seems to always produce athletes but if we’re being honest.. they very seldom ,  if ever , hire good coaches.

As freshman maybe right he will have learn curve for sure. He is undersize but he is freshman and he grow his cousin said he was almost 5’10 what measured him at. but his physicality I don’t question because he pretty tough kid . All them
hollans are tough though. I played with his uncle who tough nails. But  I don’t think Hollan starts right away but I think have hard time keeping off field. I bet go with older Crisp to start the season . But I’m not coach so who knows.

I’m not sure why say not hired good coaches. Breathitt has had 3 coaches in their lifetime of football. I think Coach Moore take a lot criticism but he was dealt bad had to start. He has some season that they under achieved but what people don’t know when state come in they shut down all youth football for 5 years. Was no middle school football or grade school. If not for people in community start lumberjack youth program they be in dark days. Breathitt had a lot bad stuff happen in last few years and dealt with a lot. But I really think next 4 years going be great product on field. Even this year I think be a lot better than what people think.

Let me start this by saying I’m truly for every mountain team. I hope they all succeed and represent their school well. I don’t want to sound like a hater and I know I’m on the outside looking in so I’m sure I don’t know everything.

I believe every word you said about the Hollons. Do I believe the Hollon kid is skilled ? Sure do. Do I believe the Hollon kid is tough ? I guarantee he is. But does all the above mean he’s ready to be the starting QB this season ? I think the kid needs to keep working hard on his skill while focusing on getting stronger and heavier.

You say Coach Moore took over in bad times ? He probably did. Does that mean he gets eternity to fix the problem ? What years was the state at Breathitt ? Did the state coming in affect the other sports teams ? How long has the Lumberjack program been around ?

You sound knowledgeable about the Breathitt football team. How would you grade Coach Moore on these questions. Player skill development ? Player strength & physicality ? Putting players in their best position ? Play calling ? Team discipline ? Accountability ? Team respect ? Fairness ?

You may have the program pegged right. They may be overachieving up to date and they may dominate the next 4 years and beyond.I hope you’re right ! When I look at Breathitt I see a program that’s not living up to the hype. I see a coaching staff that keeps getting caught with their pants down on crucial positions. I see a program that’s losing players & I see a program that can’t attract their best athletes.

What does Breathitt having 3 head coaches in the history of the program have to do with anything ? Have you ever thought that may be the problem ? The administration needs to have goals for their sports programs and if those goals aren’t being met then they need to make changes till they do.
I’m going say that Coach Moore has May not been up par to Breathitt history . That is true Chubby Smith I give you that. But he truly had one good team that he could compete with and made to the Semifinals. Could he done better developing ? Maybe. I don’t care if you have Nick Saban if don’t have the Jimmy and Joes you’re not going compete at high level . Could he and should have won some them games last year. Yes they should’ve beat Perry and Letcher and laid egg against Somerset. With that being said , That don’t make him bad coach because he kept them together and they improved a lot throughout season. Beechwood game was one score game mid way through 3 rd quarter. They got behind started try passing and the score got out hand.Now he got Holcomb back and adding Coach Jermey Moore staff they will be a lot more disciplined. So yeah he can do better !!! but your act like we won all these championships. We won 3 championships and were in one hardest classes in Ky . But yes I really think going be good teams next 4 years. If you’re outside looking in . We had players that transferred back Breathitt and I promise they be more follow. In two years mark my word Breathitt will have one top teams in mountains.

Hopefully they have great season but they had seem key loses with lossing combs brothers and Ethan kid and that going hurt them
(06-25-2024, 12:30 AM)Statebound19 Wrote: I’m going say that Coach Moore has May not been up par to Breathitt history . That is true Chubby Smith I give you that. But he truly had one good team that he could compete with and made to the Semifinals. Could he done better developing ? Maybe. I don’t care if you have Nick Saban if don’t have the Jimmy and Joes you’re not going compete at high level . Could he and should have won some them games last year. Yes they should’ve beat Perry and Letcher and laid egg against Somerset. With that being said , That don’t make him bad coach because he kept them together and they improved a lot throughout season. Beechwood game was one score game mid way through 3 rd quarter. They got behind started try passing and the score got out hand.Now he got Holcomb back and adding Coach Jermey Moore staff they will be a lot more disciplined. So yeah he can do better !!! but your act like we won all these championships. We won 3 championships and were in one hardest classes in Ky . But yes I really think going be good teams next 4 years. If you’re outside looking in . We had players that transferred back Breathitt and I promise they be more follow. In two years mark my word Breathitt will have one top teams in mountains.

Hopefully they have great season but they had seem key loses with lossing combs brothers and Ethan kid and that going hurt them

SB19 sounds good to me ! I will take your word for it. Good luck to Coach Moore and the Bobcats
First of all, it's good to see all three young men who were injured in the car accident healing and improving everyday. The good lord was looking over these young men and the health of these young men is the most important focus right now. Looking at things from a football perspective the loss of Kylan Combs, and Ethan Bowling are huge blows to this team. Bowling was a projected starter on the defensive line, and Combs was a projected starter in the secondary, and could have possibly played his way as a starter in the offensive backfield. I'm hearing there is a good chance Cory Combs will be able to play later on in the season, and with him being a senior that is great news for him. Like I said, football takes a backseat to these boys overall health, but being honest, it's going to be hard to replace the production of these three young men. I'm hearing a lot of positive things around the program, and hopefully it can transition over to the field. Breathitt returns a lot of talent, and they have a chance to push Somerset for a district championship. Breathitt has some experience and some up and coming young talent, that should have them in the mix by seasons end. Having Holcomb back on the sideline will be huge, and I look for a lot of the stuff that has hurt them in the past with penalties and attitudes to be cleaned up, or hopefully so. It will be an interesting year on the riverbank. Good Luck Bobcats!
[-] The following 3 users Like Cat Daddy's post:
  • Big Boomer, Bull got out!, jetpilot
Heard Crisp and son have returned to Leslie Co? If so, does freshman Hollon become favorite to be QB?
(07-20-2024, 11:45 PM)mandan Wrote: Heard Crisp and son have returned to Leslie Co? If so, does freshman Hollon become favorite to be QB?

I would say Yes .
Only qb on the roster is the hollon kid. Anyone can look good throwing any kind of ball with no pass rush coming at them. Breathitt will struggle this year. Sperry does his own thing.
(07-21-2024, 06:09 PM)Basketballguru1 Wrote: Only qb on the roster is the hollon kid. Anyone can look good throwing any kind of ball with no pass rush coming at them. Breathitt will struggle this year. Sperry does his own thing.

sounds like guru at football too. Lol

I really think going really surprise teams this year.
Breathitt's season all hinges on the Somerset game. The winner of this matchup should be district champ therefore avoiding Beechwood in 2nd rd. The loser will go to Beechwood 2nd week of playoffs and their season will be over.
Breathitt is ok but still need a QB. I would throw Hollon in week 1 as I don't see another option sort of some gimmick formation. Look out for Thomas at RB coming is as a freshmen. Kid has all state written all over him.
The district is Somersets to lose.