Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Kentucky Baseball
(06-09-2024, 09:01 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I'd root for the little Jihad bastards from the Iranian National team  to make Orange crush out of Tennessee. The Vols need a little taste of Sharia law.    #NeverOrange

Never a good reason to hate but hating for no reason is the worst waste of time and effort there is lol. Tennessee now up 5-1 after 3.
9-1, one out in the 4th, UT now with 6 HR lol. Time to can this one and get ready for the CATS CATS CATS...
HOLY F***AMOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the words of the great Peyton Manning…….,,,….

OMAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Just awesome! Big time win for the program. Never thought I would see the day but we are going to Omaha! Now lets win the dang thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Per USA Today, Kentucky has the third best odds in the field (+500). Full breakdown below:

Tennessee (+250)
Texas A&M (+300)
Kentucky (+500)
North Carolina (+700)
Florida State (+800)
Virginia (+10000)
Florida (+14000)
NC State (+15000)

Getting through the first two games undefeated is a near must if we're looking at trying to win the whole thing.

As awful as it would be to see them win, the bracket is set up nicely for Tennessee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • Bluecat
Yes gotta stay out of the losers' bracket if at all possible.
CWS started off with a good one as UNC walks off UVA 3-2.
Hey friends, when do our Cats play?
(06-14-2024, 06:50 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Hey friends,  when do our Cats play?
Saturday at 2:00 on ESPN
GO CATS!!!!!!!
(06-11-2024, 01:07 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Per USA Today, Kentucky has the third best odds in the field (+500). Full breakdown below:

Tennessee (+250)
Texas A&M (+300)
Kentucky (+500)
North Carolina (+700)
Florida State (+800)
Virginia (+10000)
Florida (+14000)
NC State (+15000)

Getting through the first two games undefeated is a near must if we're looking at trying to win the whole thing.

As awful as it would be to see them win, the bracket is set up nicely for Tennessee.
Tennessee was a steal at +250 I thought but they are losing to FSU. It's all up for grabs and should be an epic CWS.
Tennessee with the walk off to beat FSU. Shouldn't have happened, the check swing should have been called strike 3, game over but oh well. Two walk offs in the first day. Hope the Cats bring it!
(06-14-2024, 10:44 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(06-11-2024, 01:07 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Per USA Today, Kentucky has the third best odds in the field (+500). Full breakdown below:

Tennessee (+250)
Texas A&M (+300)
Kentucky (+500)
North Carolina (+700)
Florida State (+800)
Virginia (+10000)
Florida (+14000)
NC State (+15000)

Tennessee was a steal at +250 I thought but they are losing to FSU. It's all up for grabs and should be an epic CWS.

Vols got an absolute gift in the 9th. Their guy clearly struck out to end the game but the cowardly 3rd base ump refused to call it.  Fla. St. pitcher then imploded. Vols steal one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bluecat
Makes the script better for UK over Tennessee to win it all in Game 3 of finals...
3 games, 3 walk offs.
This has to be the best first round of the CWS ever. 3 walk off win (one by the Cats) and a robbed HR in the fourth. Can't wait to watch the rest of the games.
Virginia is the first team eliminated from the CWS. Lost 7-3 to Florida State. First somewhat of a lopsided game. UVA tried to keep it interesting late but couldn't get the hit to get runs in. FSU will play the loser of Tennessee and North Carolina.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Good for Florida St. to come back out focused after that heartbreaking loss to Tennessee. Looking forward to tonight’s Tennessee-Carolina game.
  • Bluecat
Guys, is it crazy that I'm more interested in the college baseball tourney than I was the NCAA basketball tourney?
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack
(06-16-2024, 09:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Guys, is it crazy that I'm more interested in the college baseball tourney than I was the NCAA basketball tourney?
College baseball has really grown. And once hooked you are hooked for life. It really helps that UK is relevant now in the sport.

Monday's matchup, although both SEC teams, is the first time UK and A&M will meet this season.
Some updates from the rest of the week-- CWS was off to a great start but had quite the ugly incident during the Florida-Texas A&M game. In the 2nd Inning, two A&M fans were ejected after yelling at the Florida dugout. There was definitely a reaction from the Florida dugout (and once you hear the reason, you can probably understand why).

Before going into what happened, I'll say that I've visited a handful of SEC venues for both football and basketball games. I've visited four of the SEC West venues. Regardless of SEC division, Texas A&M has the most polite and well-behaved fans by far, and I've seen them in multiple down to the wire or OT games against Kentucky. Also, Texas A&M's coach also opened his post-game press conference by saying “I want to apologize on behalf of Texas A&M whatever happened over in the dugout. Whoever those two guys are, they don't represent what Texas A&M is all about. And whoever they are, don't come back. Let's not let those two guys back in the ballpark.”

All of that out of the way, if you are to believe police in the city of Omaha (which I haven't seen any media reports discounting), the subject of the taunts concerned the death of a child. Here's the statement from the Omaha Police Officers Association: "Heckling an opposing baseball team about the tragic death of their batboy is beyond unacceptable,” the post read. “Glad our officers and security threw this duo out of Charles Schwab Field. You’re no longer welcome in this city and should be banned for life from future College World Series #cws.”

Overall, just a terrible situation for Florida's program to be on the receiving end of those types of taunts and for a Texas A&M fan base that prides itself on being hospitable.

The game itself was delayed and didn't finish until after 1 am CT. That could be a bit of an advantage for Kentucky in that they got a few extra hours of rest and recovery while their opponents were in the midst of a game; I know plenty here aren't as big as I am on how much of an advantage that is.
(06-16-2024, 09:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Guys, is it crazy that I'm more interested in the college baseball tourney than I was the NCAA basketball tourney?

Before or after the first round?
(06-17-2024, 03:46 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(06-16-2024, 09:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Guys, is it crazy that I'm more interested in the college baseball tourney than I was the NCAA basketball tourney?

Before or after the first round?

After. Elite 8 round  vs CWS 8 , more interested in the baseball.
(06-17-2024, 05:05 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: After. Elite 8 round  vs CWS 8 , more interested in the baseball.

Was making a joke about Kentucky going out early again.

I'll always be interested in the NCAA Tournament but from this year's Elite Eight forward it was basically watching each game and hoping for the lesser of two evils.

I'm personally much more invested in Kentucky's run to Omaha. I honestly wish I'd been better about keeping up with the team and knew a bit more about the competition.
(06-17-2024, 03:10 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(06-17-2024, 05:05 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: After. Elite 8 round  vs CWS 8 , more interested in the baseball.

Was making a joke about Kentucky going out early again.

I'll always be interested in the NCAA Tournament but from this year's Elite Eight forward it was basically watching each game and hoping for the lesser of two evils.

I'm personally much more invested in Kentucky's run to Omaha. I honestly wish I'd been better about keeping up with the team and knew a bit more about the competition.
^^^

I concur with all of this. 

A College World Series championship would be divine. Goodness knows my Reds aren't gonna win a world series anytime soon. If the Bat Cats won the CWS, I'd go to Lexington for the celebration.
I get sick of hearing, mostly from opposing fans, (especially Tennessee fans) how since it’s UK’s first time there the moment will be too big for them. If I’m not mistaken, our volleyball team just a few years ago had never been to Final Four, but won it all the first (and only) time they got there. Talent, mixed with a little swagger, can overcome a lot. This is a coin flip game tonight, but if we pull this one out, we are going to the final series, take that to the bank.
  • Cactus Jack
(06-17-2024, 05:17 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I get sick of hearing, mostly from opposing fans, (especially Tennessee fans) how since it’s UK’s first time there the moment will be too big for them. If I’m not mistaken, our volleyball team just a few years ago had never been to Final Four, but won it all the first (and only) time they got there.  Talent, mixed with a little swagger, can overcome a lot. This is a coin flip game tonight, but if we pull this one out, we are going to the final series, take that to the bank.

UT received an absolute gift in their first game of this CWS. By all rights, they lost that game. Screw them.
(06-17-2024, 05:17 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I get sick of hearing, mostly from opposing fans, (especially Tennessee fans) how since it’s UK’s first time there the moment will be too big for them. If I’m not mistaken, our volleyball team just a few years ago had never been to Final Four, but won it all the first (and only) time they got there. Talent, mixed with a little swagger, can overcome a lot. This is a coin flip game tonight, but if we pull this one out, we are going to the final series, take that to the bank.

I'm an eternal pessimist and am hoping that this isn't the night that our seed line (or the losses/tiebreakers that led to them) really comes back to bite us. Despite that, I'm on board with you that a win tonight essentially clinches a spot in the final.
For you guys that follow the CWS closer than I do, why does a win tonight all but guarantee the finals for our Cats?