Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Kentucky Baseball
2-0 heading into the bottom of the 4th (Illinois is the home team).
4-1, Kentucky after 8.

6-1, Kentucky going into the bottom of the 9th.

6-1, Kentucky going into the bottom of the 9th.

6-1, Final. Kentucky goes to 2-0 and will play the winner of the Illinois-Indiana State game.
Pooser pitched a gem. We’re in great shape now, no excuse to not close this out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Come out tomorrow and seal the deal! I'd imagine Mason Moore is on the mound. Hasn't had great outings last few times but he has been here before.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Kentucky pulls out a 5-0 win over Indiana State. On to the next one.
We will host either Oregon St. or UC-Irvine next weekend. Oregon St. is the 15-seed and was leading their game 6-4 when weather suspended it yesterday. Irvine would have to come back and win it and then win another to advance. So it looks like we will welcome the Beavers next weekend (I know OSH is licking his chops for this matchup.)

The SEC has advanced four teams to the Supers, UK, Tennessee, Texas A & M and Georgia. LSU and Florida could also advance, they both play if necessary games today. The big disappointment from the SEC was Arkansas, the national fifth seed won only one game in their regional.
Big shutout performance by Mason Moore in his 6 innings. The crowd was electric even with the rain. Can't wait for the Supers. Very fun team to watch.
Moore struggled with his command, but got the outs when he needed them. Our three starting pitchers gave up a total of one run in three games. If anything close to that holds up, not only could we make the World Series, but we could do some damage there, because we are going to score runs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack
How is the college baseball tournament set up ? Super regionals, next I presume? Are there four teams per Super? How many teams are remaining? How many advance to Omaha?
16 teams left. Eight super regionals. Each Super is just two teams, we get Oregon St., playing a best two-of-three, eight winners to the college World Series. The CWS is double elimination until you only have two teams left, then they play a best 2-of-3 series.
(06-03-2024, 09:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: How is the college baseball tournament set up ? Super regionals, next I presume?  Are there four teams per Super? How many teams are remaining?  How many advance to Omaha?
There are 16 Regionals with 4 teams each (64 total). They play a double elimination tournament. The host is determined by the top 16 seeds. The winner of each region will move on to the Super Regionals (sweet 16) which is 2 teams that play a 2 out of 3 series. The top 8 seeds host the supers. The winner of each super (8 teams) will move onto the College World Series.
(06-03-2024, 09:39 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: 16 teams left. Eight super regionals. Each Super is just two teams, we get Oregon St., playing a best two-of-three, eight winners to the college World Series. The CWS is double elimination until you only have two teams left, then they play a best 2-of-3 series.

WOW. thanks VH. Really appreciate the knowledge.  Where is Oregon St ranked?  I'm assuming we host our Super.
We do indeed host. Oregon St. is 45–14 overall, the 15-seed. Games will either be Friday, Saturday, Sunday (if necessary) or Saturday, Sunday Monday (if necessary) the actual schedule and game times haven’t been announced yet.
(06-03-2024, 10:03 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: We do indeed host. Oregon St. is 45–14 overall, the 15-seed. Games will either be Friday, Saturday, Sunday (if necessary) or Saturday, Sunday Monday (if necessary) the actual schedule and game times haven’t been announced yet.
Tyvm, sir.  Would love to see us advance.
Gametimes released:
Saturday at 6 pm ET
Sunday at 9 pm ET

@Van Hagar is the College World Series reseeded or do you know the bracket format if Kentucky were to advance?
If I looked at it right they would play the winner of NC State/Georgia
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • Van Hagar
That’s correct, Bluecat. Since we are the overall 2 seed our super winner plays the winner from the 7-seed bracket, which is Georgia vs. NC State.

Here is how the CWS breaks down. It’s basically the same as the regional format, then into the Super Regional. You have eight teams, in two four-team pools. The winner of each pool, which is double elimination (same format as the regionals) then play a 2-of-3 series to determine the national champion (same format as Super Regionals.)

The left side of the CWS draw pits the winner of the Super regions seeded 1 vs. 8, and 4 vs. 5. The right side of the CWS draw pits the winner of the Supers between seeds 2 vs. 7 and 3 vs. 6. This weekend seed 1 is Tennessee-Evansville, 8 is Florida St.-UConn. 4 is North Carolina-West Virginia, 5 is Kansas St.- West Virginia. That’s the left side.
The right side, UK’s side, is 2 UK-Oregon St. vs. 7 Georgia-NC State, and 3 Texas A & M-Oregon, vs. 6 Clemson-Florida. So, it’s possible UK’s entire side of the bracket if they make it could be SEC teams.
Also, with this format, the only way UK and Tennessee can hook up again would be in the national championship series. Now wouldn’t that be mind boggling?
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack
Game Day! Need to get that Game 1 win
10-0 win by the Cats. Pooser threw it great. Need to keep the momentum and clinch it tomorrow for the first ever trip to Omaha.
(06-08-2024, 10:34 PM)Bluecat Wrote: 10-0 win by the Cats. Pooser threw it great. Need to keep the momentum and clinch it tomorrow for the first ever trip to Omaha.

Cats won and Tennessee lost. Great day!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 2 users Like Spud6's post:
  • Bluecat, Old School Hound
Pooser has been unreal in his two postseason starts. I’m assuming Niman will get the start tonight, Mason Moore would be saved for an if necessary game tomorrow, which hopefully won’t happen.

If Cats win, their first CWS game will be against the Georgia-NC State winner. NC State went into Athens yesterday and completely humiliated the Dogs 18-1. Be interesting to see how Georgia is gonna bounce back from that one.
  • Cactus Jack
Georgia bounced back nicely, currently leading 10-1 in the 7th.

Loved seeing Tennessee drop one as well.
(06-09-2024, 03:35 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Georgia bounced back nicely, currently leading 10-1 in the 7th.

Loved seeing Tennessee drop one as well.

Who's the more highly regarded/ranked team, NC St. or Georgia?
Can't believe you guys would rather a team from another conference make the CWS than an SEC team. How juvenile. Tennessee will be there.
Go Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want Tennessee to make it. I’m still jonesing for a UK-Tennessee CWS final.
  • jetpilot
(06-09-2024, 04:57 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I want Tennessee to make it. I’m still jonesing for a UK-Tennessee CWS final.

Same here, with walkoff home run by UK with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th of game 3...
Walk off grand slam, down three with two strikes and two outs. And for OSH, Georgia is the 7-seed, NC State ten, so Georgia is considered marginally stronger. We swept Georgia at home in the first SEC series of the year way back in mid-March, lit them up for 37 runs in three games.
Evansville got a run in the top of the first and Tennessee has promptly hit 3 solo homers to be up 3-1 with 1 out in the 2nd.
I'd root for the little Jihad bastards from the Iranian National team to make Orange crush out of Tennessee. The Vols need a little taste of Sharia law. #NeverOrange