Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Breathitt coach
I’m hearing Ryan Griffith will be the next head coach for Breathitt Co.. Rumors circulate this time of the year but I know for sure he has heavy interest in the position
Didn’t know Breathitt was open?
(06-01-2024, 06:29 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Didn’t know Breathitt was open?
Yes Taulbee stepped down
Does Ryan have any coaching experience ? I know his daughter is a nice player.
Ryan Griffith is a fine coach.
(06-01-2024, 08:19 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote: Does Ryan have any coaching experience ? I know his daughter is a nice player.
Ryan has a lifetime of experience.   He’d do a great job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • Night Train
Ryan was a heck of a baseball player for Breathitt back in the day. He can stripe a golf ball also. He would do great things imo. Maybe he could bring some players with him also
Ryan would be a great hire for Breathitt. His daughter is a great player too., would be a nice addition but I’m hearing they like Hazard and lady dawgs have a very good young team with a lot of potential. I guess we’ll see
It be a good hire, but what I hear Ryan may be the new skipper at Hazard.
Hearing Bobby Ratliff will be taking over and Betty Pennington is gonna stay on as his assistant. Bobbys girls a young catcher coming up and with Clemons graduating will slide right in her spot and Betty knows the ins and outs of the pitching aspect since Caitlin has done as well as she has. With the young back girl coming up as pitcher and Betty to guide her she may succeed tremendously. Her and Bobby’s girl I believe are about the same age group and should make a good 1-2 combo for a few years to come.
(06-11-2024, 07:42 AM)SpaceMountain19 Wrote: Hearing Bobby Ratliff will be taking over and Betty Pennington is gonna stay on as his assistant. Bobbys girls a young catcher coming up and with Clemons graduating will slide right in her spot and Betty knows the ins and outs of the pitching aspect since Caitlin has done as well as she has. With the young back girl coming up as pitcher and Betty to guide her she may succeed tremendously. Her and Bobby’s girl I believe are about the same age group and should make a good 1-2 combo for a few years to come.
No Way BR goes to Breathitt.
I have a hard time seeing Ratliff leave Perry, but of course I never saw Meehan going to Perry either.
(06-11-2024, 08:15 AM)DukeBoy Wrote:
(06-11-2024, 07:42 AM)SpaceMountain19 Wrote: Hearing Bobby Ratliff will be taking over and Betty Pennington is gonna stay on as his assistant. Bobbys girls a young catcher coming up and with Clemons graduating will slide right in her spot and Betty knows the ins and outs of the pitching aspect since Caitlin has done as well as she has. With the young back girl coming up as pitcher and Betty to guide her she may succeed tremendously. Her and Bobby’s girl I believe are about the same age group and should make a good 1-2 combo for a few years to come.
No Way BR goes to Breathitt.
I wouldn’t rule it out. They got a new indoor facility to work out of, the school system seems to back them in whatever they do, and he lost his starting pitcher and catcher. Rumor is his 2nd string pitcher doesn’t want to play for him next year and if McAlarnis leaves what would be the point in staying? Is there anyone else? If you have no pitching, I don’t care how good you think you are. At that point you’re in trouble.
Ratliff isn't going to Breathitt. Breathitt will be rebuilding for the most part. The region will be down next year. A lot of quality pitching just graduated. However, it will still be competitive. I think Letcher, Hazard, Wolfe and Perry will sit at the top and Estill will be looking in as the fifth best team. Perry still has a ton of weapons and will be a contender to win the region.
(06-11-2024, 10:17 AM)The Weatherman Wrote: Ratliff isn't going to Breathitt.  Breathitt will be rebuilding for the most part.  The region will be down next year.  A lot of quality pitching just graduated.  However, it will still be competitive.  I think Letcher, Hazard, Wolfe and Perry will sit at the top and Estill will be looking in as the fifth best team.  Perry still has a ton of weapons and will be a contender to win the region.
Who are these weapons with their pitcher and catcher gone.  As well as McAlarnis and I’m hearing Hoskins is going to Knott with her. If their backup pitcher isn’t playing who will they have in the circle?  It’s a real possibility Leslie will take them down in the first round of district
Perry loses their pitcher, catcher, and first baseman. That's a huge loss. However, Perry returns Mullins and she is a solid pitcher. Perry will have multiple year starters returning at third, SS, second. Plus Hoskins and Ratliff in outfield are critical components. I would rank Perry 4th coming into next season.
I’m guessing Griffith is no longer in discussion for the Breathitt job ?
(06-11-2024, 03:49 PM)The Weatherman Wrote: Perry loses their pitcher, catcher, and first baseman.  That's a huge loss.  However, Perry returns Mullins and she is a solid pitcher.  Perry will have multiple year starters returning at third, SS, second.  Plus Hoskins and Ratliff in outfield are critical components.  I would rank Perry 4th coming into next season.
Mullins may be back but I’ll have to see it to believe it. I don’t think Ratliff is a favorite at their household. They do have multiple year starters at 3rd and ss but 2nd was a first year starter in Robinson. She did a fine job though but hearing she’s headed back home to Jackson city for educational purposes since they offer a better chance at being college ready than Perry does. Bobby better buckle up and grow that ponytail back out. District may be hard for him to make it through this year with what he’s going to have returning. From the sounds of things and who may or may not be playing next year the ponytail may be all he’s got to play with.
(06-11-2024, 04:51 PM)SpaceMountain19 Wrote:
(06-11-2024, 03:49 PM)The Weatherman Wrote: Perry loses their pitcher, catcher, and first baseman.  That's a huge loss.  However, Perry returns Mullins and she is a solid pitcher.  Perry will have multiple year starters returning at third, SS, second.  Plus Hoskins and Ratliff in outfield are critical components.  I would rank Perry 4th coming into next season.
Mullins may be back but I’ll have to see it to believe it. I don’t think Ratliff is a favorite at their household. They do have multiple year starters at 3rd and ss but 2nd was a first year starter in Robinson. She did a fine job though but hearing she’s headed back home to Jackson city for educational purposes since they offer a better chance at being college ready than Perry does. Bobby better buckle up and grow that ponytail back out. District may be hard for him to make it through this year with what he’s going to have returning. From the sounds of things and who may or may not be playing next year the ponytail may be all he’s got to play with.

I like BR but these ponytail comments has me cracking up ‘hahaha’
Still hearing Ryan is waiting on an offer from Hazard. Hearing Hazards Combs is heading to Perry.
Them old timers at the Hardee’s in jackson are decently knowledgeable on what they hear.
Keith ain’t going anywhere. He’s loaded for bear for the next 10 years
(06-12-2024, 09:49 AM)bac2369 Wrote: Still hearing Ryan is waiting on an offer from Hazard. Hearing Hazards Combs is heading to Perry.
Not a chance of him going over to Perry. Hazard is loaded up for the next foreseeable future. No reason to head to somewhere that’s on the downhill slide.
(06-12-2024, 04:02 PM)SpaceMountain19 Wrote:
(06-12-2024, 09:49 AM)bac2369 Wrote: Still hearing Ryan is waiting on an offer from Hazard. Hearing Hazards Combs is heading to Perry.
Not a chance of him going over to Perry. Hazard is loaded up for the next foreseeable future. No reason to head to somewhere that’s on the downhill slide.
Pretty sure this was the same rumor as last year. Combs going to Perry. I don't think Combs will leave Hazard with the whole team returning who had a tremendous year.
If Breathitt has a chance to bring in Bobby Ratliff, they should offer him a blank check. If kids don't want to play for him, then they really shouldn't be playing softball because you wont find a better coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes P. Fanning's post:
  • Bluecat
(06-12-2024, 11:22 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: If Breathitt has a chance to bring in Bobby Ratliff, they should offer him a blank check. If kids don't want to play for him, then they really shouldn't be playing softball because you wont find a better coach.
I would agree with this. Ratliff has had a lot of success at Perry. Yea I know he only won 1 region but it isn't that easy to win one. The 14th is usually competitive and one good pitcher can knock off anyone on any given night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • P. Fanning
(06-13-2024, 11:10 AM)Bluecat Wrote:
(06-12-2024, 11:22 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: If Breathitt has a chance to bring in Bobby Ratliff, they should offer him a blank check. If kids don't want to play for him, then they really shouldn't be playing softball because you wont find a better coach.
I would agree with this. Ratliff has had a lot of success at Perry. Yea I know he only won 1 region but it isn't that easy to win one. The 14th is usually competitive and one good pitcher can knock off anyone on any given night.
He’s a good coach but kind of reminds me of coach cal in a sense. With all the talent he’s had there, I feel like he should’ve won more than just one regional championship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SpaceMountain19's post:
  • Bluecat
I know a regional championship is most of people’s goal but is regional championships the only way we judge a good coach ? I know Ratliff has had some great players but winning region is harder than most think.

I think character , work ethic , fairness , preparation , player improvement , decision making is what a coach should be judged on.

Sometimes the best coach may never have a good enough team to win region.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chubby Smith's post:
  • Bluecat, P. Fanning
(06-14-2024, 12:46 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote: I know a regional championship is most of people’s goal but is regional championships the only way we judge a good coach ? I know Ratliff has had some great players but winning region is harder than most think.

I think character , work ethic , fairness , preparation , player improvement , decision making is what a coach should be judged on.

I agree with this 100%
And sometimes winning multiple regions doesn't mean you are a great coach either.
(06-14-2024, 01:48 PM)Bluecat Wrote:
(06-14-2024, 12:46 PM)Chubby Smith Wrote: I know a regional championship is most of people’s goal but is regional championships the only way we judge a good coach ? I know Ratliff has had some great players but winning region is harder than most think.

I agree with this 100%
And sometimes winning multiple regions doesn't mean you are a great coach either.
I agree with both of your alls posts but there’s been coaches let go of their positions over time because of not winning region. Apparently that’s what the standard is. No one truly wants to win games over and over and never make it to a state tournament do they? If you have all of the things that you mentioned going on. Player improvement, preparation, work ethic, etc. then you should be able to win more than just one region championship in the 14th region. It’s not like it’s a region full of super teams.