Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POWER POP !!! (Music Thread)
Okay,  Jet and VanH , my buddies, let's have a thread dedicated to the best of "Power Pop."  I love this genre. I miss these kind of songs. Post some of your favorites.  We recently lost Eric Carmen, who many consider to be one of the kings of power pop. So, I will start off with one of his best from nmy childhood.

Phil Seymour started out with the Dwight Tilley Band. This power pop classic is from '81, off his solo album. Phil died way too young at age 41. RIP.

Am I the only guy on here who listened to the BCR(Bay City Rollers)?  Not the roller derby team but the power pop group who made waves in the mid '70's.

"Good girls don't ... but I do!!! "

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
"I can't help it ,  everything's a mess.  I can't help it ,  youre so treacherous when it comes to tenderness. "

Johnny Cash's  former son-in-law, Nick Lowe.  A power pop boss. 

RIP, Tony Lewis, one of the great power pop voices.

"Now I know why love is so blind…when you’re out of my sight, I’m out of your mind.” --- THE OUTFIELD
^^^ Great lyric!!!
Great Canadian power pop band and a GREAT power pop song.

[-] The following 2 users Like Westside's post:
  • jetpilot, Old School Hound
I do like pop music.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Old School Hound

I'm a lucky fella
I just gotta tell her
That I love her endlessly

Something about those beautiful girls and the way they danced back in the late sixties, early seventies.  Just think, those girls are grandmothers now.  Sad

Just what is "Power Pop" ? 

It generally refers to a straight forward, jangly, guitar-based pop sound, without any pretense or irony.  Power pop had its roots in the mid-60s but was defined as such until the early 70s.

Imo, Badfinger was Power pop before it was officially a thing. 

[b]"P[/b]
[b][b][b]"Power Pop" refers to straightforward, jangly, guitar-based pop songs with little pretension or irony. The genre has its roots in the mid-60s but was not defined as such until the early 70s.[/b][/b][/b]

[b]ower Pop" refers to straightforward, jangly, guitar-based pop songs with little pretension or irony. The genre has its roots in the mid-60s but was not defined as such until the early 70s.[/b]

[b]"Power Pop" refers to straightforward, jangly, guitar-based pop songs with little pretension or irony. The genre has its roots in the mid-60s but was not defined as such until the early 70s.[/b]

"They don't write 'em like that anymore."  

John Waite, when he was still a "Baby."

Gosh, power pop takes me back to such a happy time.

Great stuff OSH. Raspberries Go All the Way is as good as any song pretty much ever.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Old School Hound
Folksy , Power pop from Old School's senior year in high school:

• Old School Hound
How many teenage Old School Hound's called 867-5309 at least once, hoping that Jenny answered?

ok, 80s posted later lol
  • Old School Hound
The Cars personified Power Pop.    RIP, Mr. Ocasek.

Gosh, how could a person not like kitty cats ?  lol

(04-10-2024, 12:38 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

LOVE LOVE LOVE Poco!!!!
  • jetpilot
(04-18-2024, 08:14 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Peter Beckett--- hugely talented musician .    Ronn Moss ---- hugely talented soap opera star.   Player was a good band.  I miss that smooth, melodious soft rock sound of the 70's from groups like Player, Ambrosia, etc...

My favorite Player song :

• jetpilot
^^^Haha I almost posted that instead of the one I did.
(04-19-2024, 05:22 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Haha I almost posted that instead of the one I did.

Great minds think alike ( well, at least on musical things) !!!   Smile
  • jetpilot
If Eric Carmen was a Power Pop King, this guy was also Power Pop royalty. Why in the hell isn't he in the Hall of Fame?

Jet,  what do you think of TJ&TS ?    I used to have a greatest hits of TJ on 8Track. I wore it out.

• jetpilot
Nobody better than TJ from that era, and you didn't even post my 2 favorites lol

Because of three songs on this collection, this video is blocked in many, many countries...luckily not the U.S. or Great Britain.
1. Tommy James & The Shondells - Crimson And Clover (single version) #1 in February 1969 on the Roulette label in stereo.
2. Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People #1 in February 1969 on the Epic label in stereo.
3. Tommy Roe - Dizzy #1 in March 1969 on the ABC label in stereo.
4. The 5th Dimension - Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (Radio Edit) #1 in April 1969 on the Soul City label in stereo.
5. The Beatles with Billy Preston - Get Back #1 May 1969 on the Apple label. Live performance by Paul.
6. Henry Mancini, His Orchestra & Chorus - Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet #1 in June 1969 on the RCA Victor label in stereo.
7. Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus) #1 in July 1969 on the RCA Victor label in stereo.
8. The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women #1 in August 1969 on the London label in stereo.
BONUS SONGS - as you can see, didn't make #1.
1. The Guess Who - No Time released in December 1969 and peaked at #5 in January 1970 on the RCA Victor label. Pierre's stereo remix.
2. Bill Deal & The Rhondels - I've Been Hurt #35 in May 1969 on the Heritage label. Johnny T mix.
3. The Shocking Blue - Venus released in December 1969 and made #1 in February 1970 on the Colossus label. Monotostereoking mix.