Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danville Boyle rivalry ending
Word on the street is that Danville will stop Playing Boyle County after the 2025 Football Season Any Truth to this or is it just another rumor
(03-07-2024, 12:19 AM)Catsfan12 Wrote: Word on the street is that Danville will stop Playing Boyle County after the 2025 Football Season Any Truth to this or is it just another rumor

I hope they don't pull a Paintsville.
I don’t blame them.
I wouldn’t play either… not competitive and Boyle has drained their talent pool.
[-] The following 3 users Like AgentOrange's post:
  • Fanatic42, jetpilot, Old School 18
It is my understanding that Danville and Boyle have an agreement to split the gate every season regardless of where the game is played. If this is true, then Danville is getting decent money to play this game. Another nail in the coffin for loss of revenue?

I really don't see why Boyle did not cancel this game long ago.
It hasn't really been a rivalry for a long time now.
I have always rooted for Danville. They used to pound Boyle Co in the past and now that the roles have reversed, Danville may be wanting to stop the series with Boyle Co? Like I stated, it reminds me of Paintsville.
From an outsider looking in, and having no knowledge of any behind-the-scenes issues, I don't understand why these rivalry games end. I know teams don't like being beat year in and year out by their rival, but if it's a game that's going to make your team better, why not continue playing it? Look at the Belfry-Pikeville rivalry. Belfry absolutely dominated that series for nearly 20 years. Dating back to 2001, I believe Belfry won 17 out of 18 games, and most of them weren't close. Sure, Pikeville could have chosen to stop playing them, but they knew that game made their team better. Pikeville stuck with it and has now won 5 straight in the series. At the end of the day, the level of competition Boyle gives Danville usually pays dividends in the playoffs. I hope the series continues, but that's just my opinion.
Franklin County/Frankfort ended theirs years ago, and for FC I think it was a good move. Boyle will fill this slot with a quality team that prepares them for more post season success... if there is such a thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like FCSPY's post:
  • Holy Bull, Jack Lambert
(03-07-2024, 01:28 AM)Westside Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 12:19 AM)Catsfan12 Wrote: Word on the street is that Danville will stop Playing Boyle County after the 2025 Football Season Any Truth to this or is it just another rumor

Oh please elaborate…
I think we are asking the wrong question. The rivalry does not exist. If we are asking should Danville and Boyle stop playing, then that is a debatable topic. The spirit is so far removed from these games that it is difficult for newcomers to understand what it once was. In their last two meetings, Boyle outscored Danville 97-7... 97-7. Danville doesn't improve from this rivalry. Boyle gains nothing in destroying a winless (or near winless) team while Danville suffers under a new direction of crushing defeat after crushing defeat. Why should these teams keep playing for the sake of memory?
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Eminence's post:
  • Holy Bull
(03-07-2024, 02:26 PM)2000PHS Wrote:

Oh please elaborate…

I don't need to elaborate.  You know what I am referring to.
[-] The following 3 users Like Westside's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Colonel4Life1999, Diogenes
I hate to see it end, but in the era of RPI, this is a good thing for Boyle. They can go out and schedule a team that will help them in the RPI now.
[-] The following 2 users Like backinblack2003's post:
  • Holy Bull, Jack Lambert
Neither side is really gonna care.

Boyle can pick up a better game and Danville doesn’t need to get embarrassed.

Boyle hasn’t had to do much to drain that talent pool. People want to play for a winner. Danville can right the ship but they wrecked it letting Clevenger leave.
I think this is just another sign of the problems at Danville. Yes, this game isn't competitive. Yes, Danville's football players are fleeing to Boyle. Yes, Danville is a mess. But you are eliminating the one game that gets some buzz in the community every year and from alumni. Plus, Danville makes a decent gate on his game.

At this point I wonder about the fiscal situation for Danville athletics generally. Football used to carry much of the budget there but you piece together lots of bad seasons and attendance nosedives and what's going to be left?

Waving the white flag to Boyle is not going to get people back in house or on the bandwagon. It just sends the wrong message.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AdsFanatic's post:
  • BEChargers

As a Paintsville alum, I personally wish they still played the Apple Bowl. I do, however, see why the game was discontinued. There MIGHT have been a couple of years during the Chirico era where we probably could have kept the game respectable, and we’re talking about our teams that were top 3 in Class A. This series ended during a time when there just weren’t many athletes roaming the halls at PHS, and it was reflective in all sports, not just football.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 3 users Like Redneck's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Diogenes, Westside
There is nothing to gain for either team in this rivalry. Boyle takes a hit on RPI, and Danville gets taken to the woodshed. It sure isn't what it once was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cat Daddy's post:
  • Jack Lambert
Not much of rivalry if one team has no chance in winning.
(03-07-2024, 11:49 AM)Baller_90 Wrote: It hasn't really been a rivalry for a long time now.

Danville won in 2017.

1980’s. Danville beat Boyle by scores like 42-0, 63-14, 40-3, from 85 to 92.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • AdsFanatic
Danville was then what Boyle is today
[-] The following 2 users Like DukeBoy's post:
  • Hatz, Maroon Beech
No reason for this to be a regular season game anymore. If community just begs and pleads for this game to continue, make it one of the scrimmages each year, make it a big community event, where the teams and have a big cookout or something after and make it a together event.
[-] The following 2 users Like plantmanky's post:
  • Fanatic42, jetpilot
(03-08-2024, 11:20 AM)Hatz Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 11:49 AM)Baller_90 Wrote: It hasn't really been a rivalry for a long time now.

Danville won in 2017.

1980’s. Danville beat Boyle by scores like 42-0, 63-14, 40-3, from 85 to 92.

Danville won in 2017, but after Danville fired Coach Clevenger it might as well be 2017 B.C. 

I see your point about the 1980s, but I don't think this is comparable. Danville is currently in a different situation than Boyle in the 1980s. Boyle lost by wide margins but did not have the degradation of once being a pillar of KY football. Ironically, the Admirals are feeling the weight of their own anchor. 

I ask this question because I sincerely do not know: how well attended was the last Boyle-Danville game? Also, how well attended do you think they will continue to be?
Danville has a fairly large seating capacity on the home side and it wasn't half full. Crowd definitely not what it once was there for that game. Boyle faithful showed up. More Boyle fans by far on the very much smaller visitor side and along the track
(03-07-2024, 04:01 PM)Westside Wrote:

Oh please elaborate…

You either don’t know the full story or don’t want to state it. Paintsville was willing to continue the series if some reasonable considerations would have been met.
Anyways, getting back to the topic, I’m not surprised by this move. Danville as a school district is in shambles; football is just a by product from poor decisions. Boyle County does not this game and it has to hurt them with the RPI.
(03-09-2024, 03:35 PM)2000PHS Wrote:

Oh please elaborate…

You either don’t know the full story or don’t want to state it. Paintsville was willing to continue the series if some reasonable considerations would have been met.
Oh please elaborate.    Big Grin
(03-09-2024, 05:00 PM)Westside Wrote:
(03-09-2024, 03:35 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 01:28 AM)Westside Wrote: I hope they don't pull a Paintsville.
Oh please elaborate…

Oh please elaborate.    Big Grin
Nah. Best to leave some things in the past. For the record, I think I have shown a great deal of support and respect for JC over the years on here. I’m not someone that gets caught up in the politics.
Boyle should have ended this series along time ago, with the exception of 2017 it hasn’t been competitive for several years , Lexington Catholic has been Boyle’s biggest rival since the mid 2000’s.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • Maroon Beech
Imagine being Danville, and seeing how far.. your program has faded into the abyss..... It took a ton of work to get there.
Spoke to a pretty good source that Confirmed the inevitable, Coach Haddix was in talks with the Danville side and they did not want to play Boyle after this Season, Understandable by Danville My prediction: Boyle either plays LCA Or a Home and Home with Corbin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catsfan12's post:
  • The Red Eminence
Why would they do that? Makes no sense at all.