Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Job: Estill County
True! Definitely had great success with DW. You have to run what fits the kids you have for sure. Point taken. It’s great when you’re ahead. Horrible if you’re behind. Hard to make up points quickly. And true, sat and Sun are not what works in hs. Ex: No one wants to see Ky run a set play every time down the court. The people in this state wants run and gun. Set plays are boring.

We shall see what happens.
Everyone always criticizes the DW; Wishbone; and any power running attack with the criticisms: you can’t beat better talent with those styles and you can’t win from behind!

Well, in HS football you don’t win from behind down 2-3 scores very often regardless of what you run. The flip side of that coin is what are your opponents gonna do when YOU have a two score lead and they can’t stop you from getting four yards a pop? They know their possessions are few and they get erratic in their play calling and the DW team wins!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • BTP
(01-13-2024, 11:26 AM)Lowdown Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 03:29 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Estill County admin would be wise to hire Brandon Brewer if he applies.

Great family, his wife is a wonderful teacher, and they live and breathe football.
Would be surprised if they go the Brewer route. The county hated the double wing before Marcum arrived.  Brewer is a wing T guy, so wouldn’t settle well either.  People in Irvine want the spread. Whether they get it or not will be the question.
Brewer runs the Gun-T 

Most folks wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between spread and Gun T
So Brewer applied? That’s a big chance for them to make the right hire in Irvine. Brewer is a great coach when the school and community don’t fight him from the start.
Brewer is a hard worker, great game planner, and kids played hard for him in Powell. I don’t know what went on in Pburg, but I felt like Burchett; then Brewer over achieved at Powell.
(01-12-2024, 07:45 PM)Tyler1 Wrote: Simply not true! He was asked to apply for several jobs including the Madison Southern job and not only did he not, he told everyone he was happy there. Kstate doesn’t make you a football guru, shooter.

This was simply a family who got into someone’s ear, using small town politics and ran a good coach and man out, but good luck to them. After this SR class this program takes a major step down, and when Mr MT isn’t winning they will reap what they’ve sowed.

You are correct, after this senior class, it does take a step down. But this senior class had been coached since youth football by some great people. Part of the problem is that the youth is not being developed in football anymore in the county, and that starts at the top with the High School coach. Hire someone who will devote the time to the youth program, because that is where it starts. Leaning on players that were developed by others is why there was moderate success the last several seasons.
Put a lien on the new facility and crawl to Stanton and beg Jones and Swim to come back….
(01-15-2024, 12:45 PM)ROTC Wrote: Put a lien on the new facility and crawl to Stanton and beg Jones and Swim to come back….
Big Grin Big Grin
JMO, maybe Johnny Hines?
Bit late for that? He took the south laurel job didn’t he?
(01-15-2024, 06:04 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: JMO, maybe Johnny Hines?

(01-15-2024, 09:01 PM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: Bit late for that? He took the south laurel job didn’t he?
Hines is at South Laurel.

Brewer makes the most sense at Estill County.

Like I said before, he and his family are football people. He has a lot of folks at Prestonsburg that love him and his family. I wish he took over a better situation at Prestonsburg, but he took over a program that was at a low talent wise and unfortunately he's fought a uphill battle since he took the job. I think change was needed for him and the Pburg program to move forward. He's a great guy and a good coach. A fresh start for him and new blood for Estill County can be just what the doctor ordered.
Estill better jump on Brewer right now. They ain't gonna get a better dude or football coach.
[-] The following 2 users Like Big Chief's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, waughdaddy59
Any updates on the search? Surely they’re more applicants other than Brewer?
(01-18-2024, 09:04 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Any updates on the search? Surely they’re more applicants other than Brewer?
Not heard much. More than Brewer for sure. I would imagine at least 1 of the assistants has put in for it, but can't confirm that. I say take the time and make a solid hire.
I dont know the coach, but why do most of you think Brewer should be the guy?
(01-19-2024, 10:54 AM)plantmanky Wrote: I dont know the coach, but why do most of you think Brewer should be the guy?
Brewer was mildly successful at Powell but still brought great energy and a few playoff wins before going to Prestonsburg.  

Brewer knows the area and is from Stanton so he can go back to his old roots and be successful in an area he’s familiar with.  

Hes a players coach and could re-establish some success at Estill.  Not sure what’s returning talent wise there but I believe he has the experience to work with what they have.
[-] The following 2 users Like papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, waughdaddy59
I agree, Brewer is a good coach and I think he a good success at Powell I mean his first year won the schools first district championship, brought a regional championship game to Powell. Beat LCA, beat a great Casey County team to face Corbin. His accomplishments at Powell are very impressive for what he inherited.
(01-20-2024, 03:02 PM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: I agree, Brewer is a good coach and I think he a good success at Powell I mean his first year won the schools first district championship, brought a regional championship game to Powell. Beat LCA, beat a great Casey County team to face Corbin. His accomplishments at Powell are very impressive for what he inherited.
I believe he would feel more at home at Estill than he did at Pburg.  I hope he does get this job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
I don’t think anyone would feel at home at Pburg right now. I mean you read that thread and based on what I’ve heard it sounds like a hornets nest with unrealistic aspirations. Gotta realize it isn’t the program from 10 years ago the landscape changed.
any annoucement yet or anytime soon
(01-25-2024, 03:45 PM)hchs fan Wrote: any annoucement yet or anytime soon

Not that I’m aware of. I’ve heard they haven’t done interviews yet.
All quite in Engineer country.
well!!!!!!
List of names of JMO

Maurice Dixon
John Hodge
Jon Clark
Johnny Poytner
Gene Peterson

Stay in house and promote one of the assistants?
any news? It’s awfully quiet
(02-02-2024, 03:47 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: any news? It’s awfully quiet

With Brewer going to Bath I would say Estill has their guy or an idea of who it will be.  I haven't heard of interviews either which is a little weird this late in the process.

I did hear or see somewhere that the AD was an option to take over, and that would make sense with how quiet everything is.
(01-28-2024, 02:16 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: What a list… are there no young coaches out there?

Peterson & Poynter are way too old to jumpstart a program that’s in one hell of a district. 

where has Jon Clark been since Madison Southern ran him out of town? Could be a great hire… was very successful @ MSHS if he’s still coaching. 

pretty sure the Dixon guy was quickly fired at Shelby Valley if I’m not mistaken. 

List of names of JMO

Maurice Dixon
John Hodge
Jon Clark
Johnny Poytner
Gene Peterson

(02-04-2024, 09:35 AM)AgentOrange Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 02:16 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: What a list… are there no young coaches out there?

Peterson & Poynter are way too old to jumpstart a program that’s in one hell of a district. 

where has Jon Clark been since Madison Southern ran him out of town? Could be a great hire… was very successful @ MSHS if he’s still coaching. 

pretty sure the Dixon guy was quickly fired at Shelby Valley if I’m not mistaken. 

List of names of JMO

Maurice Dixon
John Hodge
Jon Clark
Johnny Poytner
Gene Peterson

Clark lives in Richmond. 

I don’t know nothing about the Dixon guy other than he lives in Marietta GA.
Clark lives in Richmond. 

I didn't even know Clark was still in the country.  I thought he left to coach in Indiana or something when he left Southern?
(02-04-2024, 02:46 PM)papagrit Wrote: Clark lives in Richmond. 

I didn't even know Clark was still in the country.  I thought he left to coach in Indiana or something when he left Southern?

He lived off Lancaster Road a year or so ago and was doing some remodeling to his house.