Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard 56 Perry Central 40
Final. 

Don't think many thought this one would be this lopsided on either side.  

As long as Big Al is at Hazard, you can NEVER count them out.  And they don’t have a single senior on the roster.

For Hazard basketball sake, they better have someone picking that man’s brain every day trying to learn all they can because when he is gone, they will be losing the GOAT.
Surprised by this. I thought Breathitt and Perry were both 10pts better than Hazard. Perry struggled from the field. Bet it’s different next time they meet.
Seth Caudill Top Player in the Region? Kid can play.
Probably the worst game PCC has ever had offensively. Hit 2 shots from behind the arc all game. Short jumpers wasn’t falling. They let Hazard control the game. They have had a rough patch here over Christmas break. They will be fine come post season play and will be right there competing for a championship.
I thought for sure this would be a close one, but Hazard controlled it from the tip.

Hazard's defense definitely won the day here. They threw a lot of attention to Slone and he had a rough night because of it. Higgins brought his lunch box and went to work in the paint against Castle. They dared someone else to beat them and no one could get a bucket.

Offensively, Hazard is just smart but they also shot exceptionally well last night.

I've seen both of these teams a few times and I honestly think they're the best in the region right now. This was probably Perry's worst game locally this season, but I think Hazard had a lot to do with that. I know they were coming off a couple road trips, but Hazard looked like they were tournament ready last night. Looking forward to their All-A run.
Hazard just really guards you. Everyone after playing them say’s. We shot it bad or we were bad offensively. That has everything to do with them. They physically dictate the game. And if you can’t handle their physicality then it’s a long night.
And they are totally fine with the games being in the 40’s. And most kids now a days hate that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14th region fanman's post:
  • Bluecat
Rd 1 goes to Hazard. Round 4 is all that matters. Lot of ball to be played. I think PCC was worn out from Florida trip. Hoskins will have them ready in the end like he always does.
When hazard has the lead it’s hard to beat them. Hazard plays very controlled and makes little to no mistakes. Take that and good defense they will be a hard out.
When Hazard has played against 14th opponents, they have dominated and held 2 of the top 4 teams in the region to 40 and 35. They can play and is the only team that has not completely fell apart when they leave the region. They don’t play sperry for another month and I’m curious to see how they can guard him.
Breathitt and Hazard should bump heads in the All A Tournament! Sperry will be ready!
Hazard is just so disciplined. Big Al is the best coach in the region.
I’d have to pick Hoskins as the best.
Hazard played super smart and to think they don’t have 1 senior is scary boys. Hazard has exceeded my expectations for sure. Perry had the worse offensive night they could’ve dreamed of having but it’s a long season who knows how it’ll go down at John C Combs. I think I’ll take Hazard and Breathitt at 1 A and 1 B right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Badger's post:
  • RiverbankBandit95
Hoskins is a great coach but Big Al is Legend Status!
(01-03-2024, 07:50 PM)Gladiator Man Wrote: Hazard is just so disciplined. Big Al is the best coach in the region.
100% agree. No one even comes close to Al Holland.
Nobody comes close? How many SWEET 16 titles does Al have?
(01-04-2024, 12:16 PM)Diablo Wrote: Nobody comes close?  How many SWEET 16 titles does Al have?
Lorty, that’s not a good argument. Lol

How many Sweet 16 titles does any team from the 14th have since Carr Creek won the last one in 1956. Answer…..None! That’s 67 years. And there’s been some very good coaches in the region during that span. One that immediately comes to mind is Fairce Woods of the late ‘50s through 1967 for Breathitt. He had some highly rated teams in his years in the region. Came close to the title a couple of times but lost close games in the semifinals. 
Hazard had a good chance in ‘87 but was whistled out of the morning session semifinals against PRP. That’s just not my opinion but about everyone else that was there that day. 
Usually your state champion is going to come from a big school or a private school that brings players in, such as UHA did for their one title. That’s not always the case but it is for 90+% of the state tournaments. To compound matters the larger enrollment school districts that have multiple schools in their counties can conglomerate together a team that is basically an AAU All Star squad and make them formidable to beat. Go to any state champion team, girls or boys, over the past few decades and there’s usually several players on the rosters that started their careers at other schools and made a move to a chosen school during middle grades. Sacred Heart’s best player and McDonald’s AA candidate in the future was a phenom in the Shelby school district through her middle school years but transferred for her high school basketball. They have won 3 straight championships and are likely to win it again this year unless GRC, who has several transfers themselves, trips them up.
I think that was 86 on Hazard. I wasn't there that year, but that was a very common statement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • Cactus Jack
1986 Hazard team lost in semifinals to PRP, 87 Hazard team lost to Oldham County in first round
[-] The following 1 user Likes VICTORY FORMATION's post:
  • Cactus Jack