Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 72 Pikeville 47
Impressive win for the Tomcats at Pikeville.
We were outmatched athletically and offensively. Panthers play hard. Will be fine in the 15th.
whew lord…
(12-12-2023, 10:05 PM)RTruth Wrote: We were outmatched athletically and offensively. Panthers play hard. Will be fine in the 15th.
Just stay away from the 14th and 15th and you might be able to compete  Smile
Ashland shot the lights out. They made around 20 3s and shot well over 50% from 3. Pikeville could not keep up. Agree with Pikeville being fine in 15th. They actually led by 8 deep in 2nd quarter. Ashland went on big run before half and led by 5. First half very competitive but 2nd half was obviously not. Ashland has 4-5 guys on the floor at all times who can knock it down out there. Very difficult to guard. Good team.
Ashland played very well after the 1st quarter. They took Fitzer out of game after that. Pikeville only played 6 players. Young kids got in after game was decided. Depth is a big problem for Pikeville and they were not hitting jump shots consistently and with Fitzer being a non factor after first quarter that is not good combo for the Panthers. They are still top 3 in a very weak 15th region
(12-13-2023, 08:11 AM)Truewords Wrote: Ashland played very well after the 1st quarter. They took Fitzer out of game after that. Pikeville only played 6 players. Young kids got in after game was decided. Depth is a big problem for Pikeville and they were not hitting jump shots consistently and with Fitzer being a non factor after first quarter that is not good combo for the Panthers. They are still top 3 in a very weak 15th region
They have a few younger guys that are probably going to get an opportunity because their older guys aren’t getting it done. I think it will speed them up and they honestly need some toughness those kids bring.
Slone and Little are going to have to get some minutes because they can score and defend.

I don’t know anyone else that can do both.
I think the talent is there for Pikeville but the depth is going to be an issue which hasn’t been the case in previous seasons.
(12-13-2023, 12:26 PM)Mr. D Wrote: I think the talent is there for Pikeville but the depth is going to be an issue which hasn’t been the case in previous seasons.
I don’t keep up with basketball in the area like I do football but arn’t most if not all of the kids who get all the minutes for Pikeville seniors? If depth is an issue this season may be even more next season. The 15th is weak as it’s been in a long time and honestly I could realistically see 7-8 different teams winning it.
(12-13-2023, 12:33 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 12:26 PM)Mr. D Wrote: I think the talent is there for Pikeville but the depth is going to be an issue which hasn’t been the case in previous seasons.
I don’t keep up with basketball in the area like I do football but arn’t most if not all of the kids who get all the minutes for Pikeville seniors? If depth is an issue this season may be even more next season. The 15th is weak as it’s been in a long time and honestly I could realistically see 7-8 different teams winning it.
Maybe 4 teams. Martin County,Pikeville,Magoffin and Pike Central. Dark horses are Floyd Central,Betsy Layne maybe JC by end of year. No shot is Belfry,Phelps and East Ridge.
(12-13-2023, 01:05 PM)Truewords Wrote:
Maybe 4 teams. Martin County,Pikeville,Magoffin and Pike Central. Dark horses are Floyd Central,Betsy Layne maybe JC by end of year. No shot is Belfry,Phelps and East Ridge.
Betsy Layne just beat Martin County. Shelby Valley beat Betsy Layne. Paintsville beat BL. Prestonsburg beat SV. JC beat Pburg. My point is you could see almost any team beating the other in the region.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Nations Elite
(12-13-2023, 01:10 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 01:05 PM)Truewords Wrote:
Betsy Layne just beat Martin County. Shelby Valley beat Betsy Layne. Paintsville beat BL. Prestonsburg beat SV. JC beat Pburg. My point is you could see almost any team beating the other in the region.
It’s early in the season. By February top 4 will be easy to pick. If coaching plays into it as always Johnson Central will surprise a few. Injuries could also impact winner. I’ll stand by 4 I listed as possible winners. Few others have Cinderella shot. Bottom 3 listed will have no shot.
It’s early and you are going to see upsets. I think Martin County and Pikeville are the favorites. I would give the edge to Pikeville because they have been out of football less time than anyone in the region and so far they have stepped outside of the region and challenged themselves with their schedule.
(12-13-2023, 02:46 PM)Ice61706 Wrote: It’s early and you are going to see upsets.  I think Martin County and Pikeville are the favorites. I would give the edge to Pikeville because they have been out of football less time than anyone in the region and so far they have stepped outside of the region and challenged themselves with their schedule.
There are no football players at Pikeville that contribute on the hardwood.
(12-13-2023, 05:15 PM)East KY All Stars Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 02:46 PM)Ice61706 Wrote: It’s early and you are going to see upsets.  I think Martin County and Pikeville are the favorites. I would give the edge to Pikeville because they have been out of football less time than anyone in the region and so far they have stepped outside of the region and challenged themselves with their schedule.

And it shows. We are missing that toughness of a Pugh.

We have no kid that walks with a borderline cockiness nor do we have that kid that people love to play with but hate to play against.
(12-13-2023, 09:01 PM)RTruth Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 05:15 PM)East KY All Stars Wrote:

We have no kid that walks with a borderline cockiness nor do we have that kid that people love to play with but hate to play against.

Worrix’s don’t just come every year
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Belichick
(12-13-2023, 10:15 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

He was that kind of kid but just a basketball kid.

I’m talking about a Billiter or Roberts type kid. Don’t have to be leading scorer or best player but just a tough kid
(12-14-2023, 04:00 PM)RTruth Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 10:15 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

He was that kind of kid but just a basketball kid.

I’m talking about a Billiter or Roberts type kid. Don’t have to be leading scorer or best player but just a tough kid
I would put L.Hall in they category as well.
Pikeville is probably an elite athlete away from being really good. I don’t think they play anyone who can consistently break down a defender or get to the rim for a score or kick out to an open man. Great coaching staff but some flaws aren’t able to be overcome. They will still contend in 15th. Martin County favorites with Pikeville 2nd. But it wouldn’t surprise me if one or the other gets knocked off.
(12-14-2023, 04:08 PM)Belichick Wrote: Pikeville is probably an elite athlete away from being really good. I don’t think they play anyone who can consistently break down a defender or get to the rim for a score or kick out to an open man. Great coaching staff but some flaws aren’t able to be overcome. They will still contend in 15th. Martin County favorites with Pikeville 2nd. But it wouldn’t surprise me if one or the other gets knocked off.
Rigdon from Pike Central and Barnett from Magoffin can get to the rim just about at will. Pikeville and Pike Central play in near future
(12-14-2023, 05:14 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 04:08 PM)Belichick Wrote: Pikeville is probably an elite athlete away from being really good. I don’t think they play anyone who can consistently break down a defender or get to the rim for a score or kick out to an open man. Great coaching staff but some flaws aren’t able to be overcome. They will still contend in 15th. Martin County favorites with Pikeville 2nd. But it wouldn’t surprise me if one or the other gets knocked off.
Rigdon from Pike Central and Barnett from Magoffin can get to the rim just about at will. Pikeville and Pike Central play in near future
I meant Pikeville doesn’t have a player who plays that can do that. Sorry. That was confusing.