Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Raceland
24.00%
Pikeville
76.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Raceland vs Pikeville 9/8
Raceland (1-1)
Aug 18, 23 Ashland Blazer away (L) 21 - 28 
Aug 25, 23 Letcher County Central away (W) 40 - 20

Pikeville (2-1)
ug 18, 23 Pulaski County at Corbin (W) 34 - 12  Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic 
Aug 26, 23 Johnson Central home (W) 21 - 14  Pike County Bowl 
Sep 2, 23 Lexington Christian away (L) 31-13  LCA Bowl sponsored by eCampus.com

History
Sep 2, 2011 Pikeville 21 Raceland 20
Nov 11, 2011 Pikeville 54 Raceland 21 2011 Class 1A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Aug 31, 2012 Raceland 54 Pikeville 14
Nov 9, 2012 Pikeville 26 Raceland 20 2012 Class 1A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl (overtime)
Nov 22, 2013 Raceland 14 Pikeville 3 2013 Class 1A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 24, 2017 Raceland 17 Pikeville 14 2017 Class 1A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 23, 2018 Pikeville 38 Raceland 19 2018 Class 1A KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Sep 13, 2019 Pikeville 12 Raceland 6
Sep 12, 2020 Pikeville 28 Raceland 7
Nov 26, 2021 Pikeville 36 Raceland 7 2021 Class 1A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals
Dec 2, 2022 Pikeville 41 Raceland 9 2022 Class 1A 2022 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals Class 1A Championship Game

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...477a513d3d
I look forward to finding out if the gap has closed between Pikeville and Raceland. It's gone from 6 to 21 to 29 to 32 in favor of Pikeville the past few seasons, but Pikeville did lose a lot from last year's team.

I don't know what can be predicted from the results so far. Neither of these team's opponents look quite as strong as they did prior to the season. Pulaski was blown out by GRC. Johnson Central was blown out by Belfry. Letcher was blown out by Bell. Both Pikeville and Raceland lost to the more legit teams on their schedules, LCA and Ashland. Neither team looks like they're going to be RPI killers.

I bet Raceland comes closer than 32 in this one and starts the trend going in the opposite direction. Pikeville probably still wins, though.
Time for Pikeville to put up or shut up.  Barley beat Johnson Central, could barely score on a team that doesn't play defense.  If Pikeville is going to tout the best in 1A then they need to put this game away by the end of the first quarter.

Raceland this is your chance to surprise the world, Pikeville has holes in the armor..........na neverminded, Raceland has no chance.
(09-03-2023, 10:16 AM)plantmanky Wrote: Time for Pikeville to put up or shut up.  Barley beat Johnson Central, could barely score on a team that doesn't play defense.  If Pikeville is going to tout the best in 1A then they need to put this game away by the end of the first quarter.

Since when do you have to put the #2 team away in the 1st quarter to be #1 lol. That's crazy. I'll take Pikeville by a TD.

Raceland this is your chance to surprise the world, Pikeville has holes in the armor..........na neverminded, Raceland has no chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
(09-03-2023, 10:29 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(09-03-2023, 10:16 AM)plantmanky Wrote: Time for Pikeville to put up or shut up.  Barley beat Johnson Central, could barely score on a team that doesn't play defense.  If Pikeville is going to tout the best in 1A then they need to put this game away by the end of the first quarter.

Since when do you have to put the #2 team away in the 1st quarter to be #1 lol. That's crazy. I'll take Pikeville by a TD.

I’m glad you said something cause I think this ol boy done hit his head. But it’s way to early to get into a pissing match with some of the more rabid Pikeville fans haha
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • jetpilot
(09-03-2023, 10:31 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:

I’m glad you said something cause I think this ol boy done hit his head. But it’s way to early to get into a pissing match with some of the more rabid Pikeville fans haha

That guy is neutral. Don't think you will see any Pikeville fans talking blowout.
Everyone realizes the watered down 1A division is really just this game between Pikeville and Raceland, which has been a distant 2nd the past few seasons. I took Plant Man’s comment to be a jab at Pikeville’s quest to be recognized as a state power regardless of class. If that were the case, then yes, they would destroy the Rams.

Belfry taking the Olden Eagles to the woodshed certainly took some of the shine off the Pikeville marketing diamond..as well as some RPI points.
(09-03-2023, 10:37 AM)16thregioner Wrote: Everyone realizes the watered down 1A  division is really just this game between Pikeville and Raceland, which has been a distant 2nd the past few seasons.  I took Plant Man’s comment to be a jab at Pikeville’s quest to be recognized as a state power regardless of class.  If that were the case, then yes, they would destroy the Rams.

Belfry taking the Olden Eagles to the woodshed certainly took some of the shine off the Pikeville marketing diamond..as well as some RPI points.

Didn't take away any shine. JC is MASH unit. Didn't take away RPI either as Pikeville gets RPI points from Belfry also.
Pikeville isn't on some quest for recognition either. They already have it.
(09-03-2023, 10:37 AM)16thregioner Wrote: Everyone realizes the watered down 1A  division is really just this game between Pikeville and Raceland, which has been a distant 2nd the past few seasons.  I took Plant Man’s comment to be a jab at Pikeville’s quest to be recognized as a state power regardless of class.  If that were the case, then yes, they would destroy the Rams.

I really don’t get caught up in scores and what this team does to that team. Teams match up differently. I get it…this is a site meant to talk about football but sometimes things that are said are comical. A win is a win and you can’t take away a win from anybody. 

As for this game. I like the Rams chances based on the timing of this game. The Rams are coming of a bye week and Pikeville will be playing their third tough game in as many weeks. This has to be in Racelands favor. I still think the Rams have to play perfect to win. We give up way too many big plays and Pikeville will big play us to death. I’m not giving my prediction yet ….I’ll wait till the end of the week. 

Im planning on coming down early to this one and hitting a bbq joint. I’ve heard it’s pretty good
Sick

[Image: https://www.bing.com/th/id/OGC.5c1215c24...LcxQ7OA%3d]

Pikeville demolition Friday,.....

Pikeville 35
Raceland 14
Regular season Pikeville isn’t the same animal as postseason Pikeville so I think the Rams have a fighting chance in this one. Until proven otherwise I still think Pikeville is at least a 2 score favorite.

Pikeville 28
Raceland 14
(09-03-2023, 10:34 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

That guy is neutral. Don't think you will see any Pikeville fans talking blowout.

Why not, is Pikeville the #1 team in A or not?  If your the #1 team, you should be putting all other A teams away, period.

Somebody's gotta liven this place up..........you can only harp on Corbin's soft schedule so many times.
(09-03-2023, 11:12 AM)plantmanky Wrote:
(09-03-2023, 10:34 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

Why not, is Pikeville the #1 team in A or not?  If your the #1 team, you should be putting all other A teams away, period.

Somebody's gotta liven this place up..........you can only harp on Corbin's soft schedule so many times.

By your logic if Pikeville beats Raceland by 7 they aren't #1...enough said
1 vs 2

Pikeville 28
Raceland 17
Pikeville gonna come out hot after that L this week .

Pikeville 35
Rland 14
Pikeville 49 Raceland 14    The Rams while be it #2 in class A are far behind Pikeville in terms of Athletic Ability and Coaching. Time for Reality to smack some of you back down to Earth. It's just happening much earlier than Years past with this early match up.
Pikeville 32 - Raceland 17.
I don’t think reality has to set in for anyone. After consecutive thumpings by the Panthers the only people thumping their chest about Raceland when it comes to Pikeville are outsiders, imo. Those that know, understand all too well what awaits us this Friday. Neither team has won as a visitor in this series, if I’m not mistaken. Raceland hasn’t been the home team since 2017, I believe. It’s going to take a perfect game from the HC to the water boys to win at Hambley. Likely take some mistakes by Pikeville as well.
Pikeville in a route 36-7
Idk if anyone really took into account what happened last night, but the panthers were in that game last night for 3 quarters and played competitively on defense even when the field position battle was not in there favor. You give a UK commit the ball past the 50 4 times in one game and hold him 2 of those times, the defense can play. Raceland looked good against letcher, but when you compare that bell county had 520 yards on them without starters most of the 4th, that win doesn’t look to great other than the class difference. Pikeville just went toe to toe with a great team nearly knocked off boyle, so the gap between 1 and 2 may be the same as it was last year unless raceland can play out of their mind in the trenches.
(09-03-2023, 02:25 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: I don’t think reality has to set in for anyone. After consecutive thumpings by the Panthers the only people thumping their chest about Raceland when it comes to Pikeville are outsiders, imo. Those that know, understand all too well what awaits us this Friday. Neither team has won as a visitor in this series, if I’m not mistaken. Raceland hasn’t been the home team since 2017, I believe. It’s going to take a perfect game from the HC to the water boys to win at Hambley. Likely take some mistakes by Pikeville as well.

Pikeville won 28-7 at Raceland in 2020 but you are correct no Pikeville fans thump their chest when it comes to Raceland. I'm expecting a low scoring slobber knocker Friday.
This will be a good football game and I don’t see a blow out for any side but I do see an important aspect of this game which is RPI if it comes down to these 2 teams meeting before the championship game and that’s home field advantage so actually there is a lot in play here but it all will be determined as the season goes on and these Ram fans can say all they want but that want this win really bad as do Pikeville fans because of the rivalry that has developed between them
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • jetpilot
Should be a dandy…
Not sure if either fan base knows what to expect this Friday. How much weight do the Rams and Panthers losses hold? How much do their wins mean? Is Johnson Central really that “down”? How good is Ashland really? Makes this pick difficult for me. Though I lean towards Pikeville based on recent history, I think Raceland is due a road win at Hambley.

Something is telling me the gap in 1A isn't as significant in the top 5 as it has been.  If Pikeville or Raceland doesn't win by 3+ scores it may be a lot closer than what we thought at the beginning of the season.  
I keep looking at the Ashland game and I know that Raceland handed out a butt whooping last year in that game.  Just from years past Raceland and Ashland fight for the same players so for Ashland to have not only closed a 30 pt gap but won the game makes me think Raceland may be a little down from last year.
Pikeville struggled with a JC team that got dogwalked by Belfry.  Now Pikeville has running clocked belfry the last 2 years and this year doesn't look like it is going to be the same.  Again Pikeville and Belfry fight over a lot of the same players so maybe Pikeville is down a little this year.

I understand the class difference in Belfry and Pikeville and Ashland and Raceland, but in their dominant years they have controlled those schools.  Maybe this isn't going to be a dominant year????
I bet you see a very vanilla game from both teams on both sides of the ball. Now don’t get me wrong both teams will try to win because as Pat1 said RPI is important and neither want a road playoff game in November to the others field. My prediction is this game will be very close and will have no indication of how the playoff game will play out, if indeed that game occurs. Good luck to both teams on an injury free game and I fully expect this to just be part 1 in the 2023 edition of the Pikeville/ Raceland series.
Pikeville 27
Raceland 17
Pikeville wins 34-14
(09-05-2023, 09:35 AM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:

Something is telling me the gap in 1A isn't as significant in the top 5 as it has been.  If Pikeville or Raceland doesn't win by 3+ scores it may be a lot closer than what we thought at the beginning of the season.  
I keep looking at the Ashland game and I know that Raceland handed out a butt whooping last year in that game.  Just from years past Raceland and Ashland fight for the same players so for Ashland to have not only closed a 30 pt gap but won the game makes me think Raceland may be a little down from last year.
Pikeville struggled with a JC team that got dogwalked by Belfry.  Now Pikeville has running clocked belfry the last 2 years and this year doesn't look like it is going to be the same.  Again Pikeville and Belfry fight over a lot of the same players so maybe Pikeville is down a little this year.

I understand the class difference in Belfry and Pikeville and Ashland and Raceland, but in their dominant years they have controlled those schools.  Maybe this isn't going to be a dominant year????
You would be right about a 30 point turn around but you have to go back to the end of Asslands season and pay attention to the growth they made over the course of the season. They made a deep run in the playoffs last year. Chad didn’t coach his team right in the first couple of games cause he didn’t know his team yet. Assland has three kids on their team that will give everyone they play fits. The only area Raceland is down  is the O and D lines. If Mike coaches how I think he will ….win or lose Pikeville fans will ask why he doesn’t call plays like that all the time. When the season is on the line he tend to micro manage a game way to much. He will throw the ball down field more in this game. Like I said I don’t know if it will make a difference in the out come but tye Tams should look a little different then they did the last two meetings with Pikeville just because the season isn’t on the line. Then again I could be wrong and we run our QB 16 times for 12 total yards haha
PIKEVILLE -  34
Raceland  -   14
Rams QB is elite. If he has a huge game and gets some help this game will be closer then most people think.