Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pulaski County
34.48%
Pikeville
65.52%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pulaski County vs Pikeville (Pigskin Classic) Cumberland College Field
(08-18-2023, 12:25 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 10:50 PM)KarnivalKat Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 03:10 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Anyone know who new QB for Pulaski is this year and what expectations are at QB position?
Zak Anderson 10th  - good athlete - 6’3/4 - expect him to be just fine as season progress

Pulaski should have pretty good 9th great RB too Brock

Anderson is a Junior, not a Sophomore.
Zak Anderson is a sophomore, will be the starter at QB. Ryan Anderson, listed as QB on KHSAA, is a junior and would expect to see him split out as WR or TE.
(08-18-2023, 11:44 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 09:41 AM)Wildcat45 Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 12:47 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 11:18 AM)Wildcat45 Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 10:53 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote: Pikeville is # 1 in the First Mountain Top 10 of the Season, while Pulaski Co checks in at #6. I believe that the people who seem to thing that Depth is gonna be an issue for Pikeville are in for a Rude awakening. The Panthers are very solid are very Position with quality depth behind them. I can't wait for tommow. Hail Panther.

I think people are wishful thinking that Pikeville won't be dominant this season. There are maybe 2-3 teams who can compete with them in Class A.  Pikeville would be top 5 in 5A.

You're exaggerating.

Name me 5 teams in 5A who you believe are better than are without doubt better than Pikeville.  I can see there may be a few more that you could make an argument who could beat Pikeville, but for what I said to be an exaggeration, there needs to be no doubt.  So, who are they?

(08-18-2023, 07:55 AM)pjdoug Wrote: I'm trying to decide to wear a Colonels shirt to the game, or just stay home and watch live stream.

Are you certain there is a video livestream?  I saw another guy said it was audio only.

Nothing is certain  in this crazy world. lol. it could be audio only as far as I know.

We can agree on that for sure.  I was hoping you had a reliable source who told you it would be video streamed.  It's definitely one I would like to be able to watch even if it is a replay.
Pulaski will compete, but I don't think they've got the horses this year. I'd expect a sloppy game with Pikeville coming out on top something to the tune of 35-21.
(08-18-2023, 12:31 PM)Wildcat45 Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 11:18 AM)Wildcat45 Wrote: I think people are wishful thinking that Pikeville won't be dominant this season. There are maybe 2-3 teams who can compete with them in Class A.  Pikeville would be top 5 in 5A.

You're exaggerating.

Name me 5 teams in 5A who you believe are better than are without doubt better than Pikeville.  I can see there may be a few more that you could make an argument who could beat Pikeville, but for what I said to be an exaggeration, there needs to be no doubt.  So, who are they?

(08-18-2023, 07:55 AM)pjdoug Wrote: I'm trying to decide to wear a Colonels shirt to the game, or just stay home and watch live stream.

Are you certain there is a video livestream?  I saw another guy said it was audio only.

Nothing is certain  in this crazy world. lol. it could be audio only as far as I know.

We can agree on that for sure.  I was hoping you had a reliable source who told you it would be video streamed.  It's definitely one I would like to be able to watch even if it is a replay.
Audio only
(08-17-2023, 10:53 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote: Pikeville is # 1 in the First Mountain Top 10 of the Season, while Pulaski Co checks in at #6. I believe that the people who seem to thing that Depth is gonna be an issue for Pikeville are in for a Rude awakening. The Panthers are very solid are very Position with quality depth behind them. I can't wait for tommow. Hail Panther.

I think people are wishful thinking that Pikeville won't be dominant this season. There are maybe 2-3 teams who can compete with them in Class A.  Pikeville would be top 5 in 5A.
There's maybe one team that can compete with Pikeville in 1A this season but they would not be a top 5 team in 5A to open the season. When a team suffers heavy graduation losses, then those should be reflected in early season polls and rankings. It doesn't mean that Pikeville will not deserve a higher ranking in mid-season, but they need to win a few games this season first. Beating Pulaski on the road would be a great first step.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-18-2023, 01:19 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

There's maybe one team that can compete with Pikeville in 1A this season but they would not be a top 5 team in 5A to open the season. When a team suffers heavy graduation losses, then those should be reflected in early season polls and rankings. It doesn't mean that Pikeville will not deserve a higher ranking in mid-season, but they need to win a few games this season first. Beating Pulaski on the road would be a great first step.
I wasn't really referring to preseason rankings.  I was saying they would be a top 5 team as in one of the best 5 teams in 5A.  I agree on the 1A comment though.  I only see Raceland possibly giving them trouble.  A couple more may make it a ballgame.
Pulaski by a million!
(08-18-2023, 01:19 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Calpreps poll penalized Pikeville 5.5 rating points for graduation losses and they still wound up with a rating that would put them 5th in 5A. Every team suffers graduation losses, great programs reload. Heck, Pulaski lost a QB that threw for 3200 yards and 41 TDs  and a WR that got 1700 yards and 28 TDs and who knows what else they lost and they are highly rated. And every team needs to win a few games to get a higher rating, not just Pikeville lol...

And I have to mess with you Hoot haha, maybe if JC can stay on the field with the Corbins and Irontons this year, beat the North Laurels of the world, and manage to not have to squeak by the Letchers by 1 at home, they might get a higher ranking too.

All in fun hehe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Bull got out!
Birchfield is gone but McCoart and Conley are back, along with nearly all of the offensive line. If Pikeville beats Pulaski and Johnson Central, and the Smith twins are rightly ruled ineligible, then my vote for #1 in the mountains will go to the Panthers.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-18-2023, 04:24 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Birchfield is gone but McCoart and Conley are back, along with nearly all of the offensive line. If Pikeville beats Pulaski and Johnson Central, and the Smith twins are rightly ruled ineligible, then my vote for #1 in the mountains will go to the Panthers.  Smile

Let's hope all that happens!
You will scoff at this Hoot, but no way I would trade Pikeville's backfield of Boykins, Caudill, Anthony and QB Duty for JC's backfield.
Not at gunpoint. LB play vs. PC will be huge clue if Pikeville should be ranked up there with the top 4A and 5A teams.
(08-18-2023, 04:33 PM)jetpilot Wrote: You will scoff at this Hoot, but no way I would trade Pikeville's backfield of Boykins, Caudill, Anthony and QB Duty for JC's backfield.
Not at gunpoint. LB play vs. PC will be huge clue if Pikeville should be ranked up there with the top 4A and 5A teams.
Yet, Johnson Central will most likely lead the state in rushing again in all classes. Pikeville has a great QB, but I wouldn't trade McCoart for all of Pikeville's running backs and I mean no disrespect to the Panthers inexperienced RBs.
(08-18-2023, 04:24 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Birchfield is gone but McCoart and Conley are back, along with nearly all of the offensive line. If Pikeville beats Pulaski and Johnson Central, and the Smith twins are rightly ruled ineligible, then my vote for #1 in the mountains will go to the Panthers.  Smile
Why should the Smith twins be ruled ineligible? Moved here from out of state.
(08-18-2023, 04:47 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
They won't. We are having some fun with each other.
Did they? That is not the only question being asked about their eligibility, but I am sure that will be a topic for another thread - especially if they don't play tonight.
(08-18-2023, 05:03 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
Did they? That is not the only question being asked about their eligibility, but I am sure that will be a topic for another thread - especially if they don't play tonight.
They are playing. Just confirmed that they are ruled eligible and will be playing tonight. Having 2 D1 edge rushers on your team changes things big time in 4A
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Fanatic42
(08-18-2023, 04:43 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 04:33 PM)jetpilot Wrote: You will scoff at this Hoot, but no way I would trade Pikeville's backfield of Boykins, Caudill, Anthony and QB Duty for JC's backfield.
Yet, Johnson Central will most likely lead the state in rushing again in all classes. Pikeville has a great QB, but I wouldn't trade McCoart for all of Pikeville's running backs and I mean no disrespect to the Panthers inexperienced RBs.

That's because 99.9% of their plays are Runs
(08-18-2023, 04:52 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
I wish there was going to be a live stream video for this game. I will probably listen to it and watch the Ashland-Raceland game. The JC game kicks off at 5:30.
2022:

JC as a team - 8.05 ypc
Pikeville as a team - 8.25 ypc
Boykins, Anthony, Caudill - 9.11 ypc and 512 yds 5 tds receiving

Those guys aren't inexperienced. They have been gashing defenses for awhile now.
(08-18-2023, 05:07 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
I wish there was going to be a live stream video for this game. I will probably listen to it and watch the Ashland-Raceland game. The JC game kicks off at 5:30.

You can hear the Pikeville guys on 93.1 in Pikeville Hoot.
McCoart 2022: 189 carries, 1,721 yds., 9.1 ypc, 26 rushing TDs

How does that compare to all of Pikeville's returning running backs' rushing stats? With an experienced OL this season, I expect McCoart's numbers to improve.

Conley rushed for 180 yards in his last start last season before breaking his ankle against North Laurel. If Pikeville's linebackers are inexperienced, then they may be in for a very long night next week.
(08-18-2023, 05:18 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Thanks, I am really looking forward to a night full of football. One hour until kick-off.
(08-18-2023, 05:07 PM)Fanatic42 Wrote:

No, it's because they run the ball extremely well. If they were averaging 6 yards a carry, then they would have no chance to lead the state.
(08-18-2023, 05:30 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 05:18 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 04:47 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Why should the Smith twins be ruled ineligible? Moved here from out of state.

Thanks, I am really looking forward to a night full of football. One hour until kick-off.

Same here. I will be tuning in to WSIP a little later...
(08-18-2023, 05:33 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

No, it's because they run the ball extremely well. If they were averaging 6 yards a carry, then they would have no chance to lead the state.
They are great at it. So much so that everyone knows exactly what is coming and still can't stop it.
(08-18-2023, 05:27 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: McCoart 2022: 189 carries, 1,721 yds., 9.1 ypc, 26 rushing TDs

How does that compare to all of Pikeville's returning running backs' rushing stats? With an experienced OL this season, I expect McCoart's numbers to improve.

Conley rushed for 180 yards in his last start last season before breaking his ankle against North Laurel. If Pikeville's linebackers are inexperienced, then they may be in for a very long night next week.

I agree if LB play isn't elite level, it will be bad. Tonight will be a good early indicator.
(08-18-2023, 05:33 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Pikeville runs more of a Balanced Offense. Can't wait until next week. It's gonna be Fun trying to watch Johnson Central try and tackle Pikeville's inexperienced RBs as you call them  Smile Smile Smile
(08-18-2023, 12:31 PM)Wildcat45 Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 11:18 AM)Wildcat45 Wrote: I think people are wishful thinking that Pikeville won't be dominant this season. There are maybe 2-3 teams who can compete with them in Class A.  Pikeville would be top 5 in 5A.

You're exaggerating.

Audio only
(08-18-2023, 05:06 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 05:03 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
They are playing. Just confirmed that they are ruled eligible and will be playing tonight. Having 2 D1 edge rushers on your team changes things big time in 4A

No one is beating Boyle this year so it don’t matter if they have TJ and JJ Watt playing defensive end.
(08-18-2023, 04:24 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Birchfield is gone but McCoart and Conley are back, along with nearly all of the offensive line. If Pikeville beats Pulaski and Johnson Central, and the Smith twins are rightly ruled ineligible, then my vote for #1 in the mountains will go to the Panthers.  :)

Looks like the Smith twins are good to go...good news for Corbin and UK
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildc...igibility/