Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everybody gets a trophy era.
OK here's something that burns my weeny.....What's your alls thoughts on the everybody gets a trophy/award/recognized era?  I'm old school, when I played way back in the 70's there was about 1% of the personal recognitions then that exist now, but when you got one, it meant so much.   

Now for profit businesses are in the mix for no other reason than to take sponsors money to give about 10 awards a day to anyone and everyone, the recognition market is saturated, I don't even slow my scroll to read these anymore.  Sponsors/individuals/businesses, please give the $ directly to the programs to help the kids, certain kids do not need another acknowledgement paid for with money that could be used for better equipment, travel and even food.  These awards are diminishing the actual accomplishments of the kids who do the extraordinary, it's diminishing the recognition of those who deserve it.  Please tell me if I'm wrong here, I really want to know if I'm wrong, show me the light.  

Much love my sports peeps.  Smile

One last word, I believe some of these awards and rankings are used to plant discord among teams, ranking folks to show disrespect, or for motivation, or even ranking folks to hang a target on them, giving out individual awards in a way to upset a teams chemistry. Before I'll give an ounce of respect to any of these awards I'd like to know who's picking and what criteria is being used to rank and recognize.
(01-05-2023, 10:34 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: OK here's something that burns my weeny.....What's your alls thoughts on the everybody gets a trophy/award/recognized era?  I'm old school, when I played way back in the 70's there was about 1% of the personal recognitions then that exist now, but when you got one, it meant so much.   

Now for profit businesses are in the mix for no other reason than to take sponsors money to give about 10 awards a day to anyone and everyone, the recognition market is saturated, I don't even slow my scroll to read these anymore.  Sponsors/individuals/businesses, please give the $ directly to the programs to help the kids, certain kids do not need another acknowledgement paid for with money that could be used for better equipment, travel and even food.  These awards are diminishing the actual accomplishments of the kids who do the extraordinary, it's diminishing the recognition of those who deserve it.  Please tell me if I'm wrong here, I really want to know if I'm wrong, show me the light.  

Much love my sports peeps.  Smile

One last word, I believe some of these awards and rankings are used to plant discord among teams, ranking folks to show disrespect, or for motivation, or even ranking folks to hang a target on them, giving out individual awards in a way to upset a teams chemistry.  Before I'll give an ounce of respect to any of these awards I'd like to know who's picking and what criteria is being used to rank and recognize.

May need some antibiotics for that sh!t.
Honestly. Those awards are worth squat! No offense to the kids. But when Greer gets coach of the year. That says how much they mean
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Playcaller66
Burns my weeny is definitely a new one lol
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Granny Bear
Participation trophies are ridiculous IMO. Parents are teaching children that their worth is compromised if they don't get a trophy.

Giving your best effort and learning how to lose graciously are two lessons that are out the window. I think it's unfair to teach this to kids, especially in competitive sports. It's okay to lose and to be happy for someone else who wins. Simple as that, but instead we have demanding parents and bratty kids.
Granny.....One of the most important things I learned in sports was how to get the absolute dog dookie beat out of me, get up go back to practice, work harder, weed the quitters and losers out and dream of the day I could return the favor by dishing out an equivalent respectful level of revenge to every team that beat me. I learned more, and grew more as a human being from the days I failed and got my butt chewed out.

The next generation of humans are going to want rewarded and recognized even when they fail miserably with everyone pretending they are still a winners, insane to watch kids grin and puff up while taking a second place trophy, in 1977 there were no second place trophies.... Did they even have District and region runner up trophies, much less semifinal and quarterfinal awards.

If you've worked a long time you can see it in the majority of todays young work force, they expect those raises, bonuses and job promotions without doing an extra ounce of anything, for simply showing up.
I coached basketball for over 30 years, and I'm here to tell you that I taught a lot more life lessons in a loss than I did a win.

It's okay to lose; happens to everybody! How you teach you children to cope with that and move on is a great life lesson...IMO.

We're already in a generation who has few if any coping skills.

You all can begin bashing the old woman now! Smile
I don't understand why the five starters of the winner of the tournament get All-tournament, but knowing full well a team that may have lost earlier in the tournament has better players and just receive one.
It's why you play the game.
All the kids are playing in the same era.

Doesn’t matter
The "everybody gets a trophy" mentality really doesn't bother me. Every kid with an above room temperature IQ knows the difference between a participation type of trophy and one that is awarded for superior performance. I feel the same way about the idiots who decide not to keep score in T-ball or youth soccer games - nearly every parent and player knows the score at the end or the game, whether it is displayed on a scoreboard or not, so why worry about it? You cannot remove competion from competitive sports by giving everybody trophies or not keeping score because most players are are not as stupid as some misguided parents believe them to be.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hoot Gibson's post:
  • FootballFan1999, PGL
Everyone getting a trophy isn’t an issue, I’m sorry it grinds so many gears for a 4 year old to feel value. I know coaching in MY poverty stricken area is good to give children something to smile about. Giving every kid an MVP or having an entire starting 5 make an all tournament is more of an issue. If parents let children’s egos get out of check that’s the issue not giving little Joey a trophy.
(01-06-2023, 07:56 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Honestly. Those awards are worth squat! No offense to the kids. But when Greer gets coach of the year. That says how much they mean
And yet at the annual football banquet every Senior is awarded the MVP. I understand it takes 11 players all getting it done in order to win. But honestly we always have one player every year that clearly deserves the MVP.
(01-08-2023, 12:43 PM)PGL Wrote: Everyone getting a trophy isn’t an issue, I’m sorry it grinds so many gears for a 4 year old to feel value. I know coaching in MY poverty stricken area is good to give children something to smile about. Giving every kid an MVP or having an entire starting 5 make an all tournament is more of an issue. If parents let children’s egos get out of check that’s the issue not giving little Joey a trophy.

I am horrified that a 4 year old has to get a trophy to feel valued.  The issue of entitlement is bad enough in adults these days; sure doesn't need to start it elementary school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • PGL
(01-08-2023, 08:00 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(01-08-2023, 12:43 PM)PGL Wrote: Everyone getting a trophy isn’t an issue, I’m sorry it grinds so many gears for a 4 year old to feel value. I know coaching in MY poverty stricken area is good to give children something to smile about. Giving every kid an MVP or having an entire starting 5 make an all tournament is more of an issue. If parents let children’s egos get out of check that’s the issue not giving little Joey a trophy.

I am horrified that a 4 year old has to get a trophy to feel valued.  The issue of entitlement is bad enough in adults these days; sure doesn't need to start it elementary school.

Yea and I wish it was an exaggeration. But I wish most of us would take the time to talk to kids. Highly intelligent (not all), guys a trophy doesn’t make a kid, it’s the leadership and value that comes with that trophy. My child played in a peewee league where everyone got a participation trophy, I’m fine with that. They also bought everyone an MVP trophy, I wasn’t okay with that. That trophy means nothing to anyone but the kids. Leave em alone lol

I have no clue how to unquote myself I apologize for mistake.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PGL's post:
  • Granny Bear
I find it ironic that the generations that complain about every kid getting a trophy are the generations that demanded it because their little boy or girl was the most specialest. It's not like millenials and GenZ kids all petitioned for their own trophies when they were kids, GenX and Boomers are the reason for participation trophies.

It's not a kid's fault that they got a participation trophy. Look inward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shogun's post:
  • PGL
As an aspiring trophy maker, I don't think we give enough out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes zaga_fan's post:
  • Granny Bear
[Image:

]

#goldentateraward  #makingbgrgreatagain   More mash taters please!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes fatpatfan's post:
  • roundballer