Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Pikeville 41 Raceland 9 (1A State Championship)
(12-03-2022, 04:10 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 03:44 PM)Westside Wrote: Boykin being hurt for Pikeville I'm sure affected them some.
It didn’t effect them one bit. He was a great extra to have this year but team was best in class before he transferred in. Next year he will be a focal point in their success.

That's your opinion.  I have mine.  Yes, Pikeville has many weapons and didn't necessarily need Boykin to win yesterday, but having him would have given yet another weapon Raceland could cover.
(12-03-2022, 05:50 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 03:44 PM)Westside Wrote: Boykin being hurt for Pikeville I'm sure affected them some.
It didn’t effect them one bit. He was a great extra to have this year but team was best in class before he transferred in. Next year he will be a focal point in their success.

Boykins is just a junior too. Him, Bevins and Anthony is the backfield is scary once again next year.
Don’t forget about B Caud either. He’s a load. I would definitely not count out Pikeville next year, they return some dang good football players. Need to develop a couple of the young lineman and they’ll be right back in the mix by November
[-] The following 2 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
(12-03-2022, 06:08 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote:
(12-03-2022, 05:50 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Boykins is just a junior too. Him, Bevins and Anthony is the backfield is scary once again next year.
Don’t forget about B Caud either. He’s a load. I would definitely not count out Pikeville next year, they return some dang good football players. Need to develop a couple of the young lineman and they’ll be right back in the mix by November

Duty Boykins Anthony Bevins and Caudill will give teams fits next year. All of them are studs.
Pikeville will return plenty of skill. Even with a halfway decent line they should still be the favorite, imo. Hope to see Boykins fully recover from the injury. Kid has freakish speed.
I was really impressed with Deonte Stevens as the season played out, kid has a lot of potential and should be a big-time player for Pikeville the next 2 years.

Pikeville's sophomore class is very good.

Hopefully these 2 meet in Kroger Field again next season and I kinda expect they will.
[-] The following 2 users Like Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Big Five-0-, kywvfan
(12-03-2022, 05:55 PM)Westside Wrote:

That's your opinion.  I have mine.  Yes, Pikeville has many weapons and didn't necessarily need Boykin to win yesterday, but having him would have given yet another weapon Raceland could cover.
They won 41-9. As I said he was great extra to have. There was just better players than him. Birchfield and Wright. Next year he should shine. He could put up big numbers if stays healthy.
(12-02-2022, 09:08 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 09:03 PM)Hi Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Biggest difference in Pikeville and everyone else is consistency. Off-season work is how you produce what they do year in and year out. I felt like we took steps toward bridging that gap last off-season. Obviously not as far as I thought BUT, I don’t think we win the Hazard game this year without improvement from last year. So there was growth. We need more improvement though. There is a lot of talent in the youth league and at the MS level. We need to find the blueprint that teams like Pikeville, Mayfield, Beechwood, and the like have laid to create championship programs. Raceland is the next tier, but the gap is still significant. Going to call it for awhile boys. This one stung pretty good for me. Congrats to Pikeville. Rams hold your heads high and thank you for a season full of memories.
We will see how the “off season” work pans out next year after the super class graduates. No I’m not starting crap. Let’s be honest here…last year and this year was Pikevilles supper class. Next year will end ours. Back to normal after next year for the Rams
Supper Class? Yeah those boys do like to eat, I’ll give you that.
I am with you on Stevens. Anthony, Duty, and many other underclassmen leaves Pikeville in great hands going forward. Stevens has the chance to be an unbelievable piece going forward. If he lives in the weight/film room I can see that kid picking whatever school he wants to go to when he graduates. He and Anthony are freaks on defense.
[-] The following 2 users Like kywvfan's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Micro-Brew
Pikeville loses alot of linemen. But pikeville being pikeville they will recruit them some.
(12-02-2022, 09:08 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 09:03 PM)Hi Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Biggest difference in Pikeville and everyone else is consistency. Off-season work is how you produce what they do year in and year out. I felt like we took steps toward bridging that gap last off-season. Obviously not as far as I thought BUT, I don’t think we win the Hazard game this year without improvement from last year. So there was growth. We need more improvement though. There is a lot of talent in the youth league and at the MS level. We need to find the blueprint that teams like Pikeville, Mayfield, Beechwood, and the like have laid to create championship programs. Raceland is the next tier, but the gap is still significant. Going to call it for awhile boys. This one stung pretty good for me. Congrats to Pikeville. Rams hold your heads high and thank you for a season full of memories.
We will see how the “off season” work pans out next year after the super class graduates. No I’m not starting crap. Let’s be honest here…last year and this year was Pikevilles supper class. Next year will end ours. Back to normal after next year for the Rams
Supper Class? Yeah those boys do like to eat, I’ll give you that.
(12-02-2022, 06:49 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:32 PM)Kentuckysfinest Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:20 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:13 PM)Kentuckysfinest Wrote: Good idea. Tell your returning players hey you’re not good enough, so we went out and got somebody better. You are a disgrace to 16th region sports.

That’s reality.  They aren’t good enough.  Not even close.  Depends how bad they want that banner.  Or just wait around for a once in a generation lucky season.
clearly, you’ve never been apart of competitive sports and if you are, you shouldn’t. Obviously you live by the philosophy of take the easy route.

It’s not the “easy route” to attract athletic talent to a small eastern Kentucky school.  A Raceland fan on here said themselves that this is an “arms race” to build the best team possible.  Look at the money that has been spent at Raceland to build an unbelievably attractive facility.  You think that’s just been done for fun or for the few kids from Old Farm and Poplar Highlands to enjoy?  Come on, Kentucky’s Finest.  Let’s be realistic.  Competitive sports are one thing.  Winning is an altogether different thing.  You have to have the Jimmy’s, Jenny’s, and Joe’s.  You think Pikeville’s team was all Pikeville kids?  There is a reason why their facilities look like those of an NFL team.  This attracts the best talent.  If you haven’t noticed, teams from our region that win have lots of Jimmy’s, Jenny’s, and Joe’s from all over the place.  I don’t mean to offend or come off like I’m downing Raceland’s players.  They had a good team this season and I was really hoping they could beat Pikeville.  When I finally saw Pikeville, though, I saw there is still a significant gap there.  Raceland is obviously committed to the cause of trying to get that banner.  I was just suggesting an idea that might help make that come to fruition.  Have you not studied the rosters of all teams who win in our region across all sports?  You should try it and see what you find.
Actually 19 of Pikevilles 22 Starters this year are products of our Youth System (Little League and Junior High). I know, because I coached all 19 of them at one time or another when they were 2nd-6th graders….Pikeville Myth:BUSTED!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes HAIL PIKEVILLE!'s post:
  • Big Five-0-
(12-05-2022, 04:31 PM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:49 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:32 PM)Kentuckysfinest Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:20 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:13 PM)Kentuckysfinest Wrote: Good idea. Tell your returning players hey you’re not good enough, so we went out and got somebody better. You are a disgrace to 16th region sports.

That’s reality.  They aren’t good enough.  Not even close.  Depends how bad they want that banner.  Or just wait around for a once in a generation lucky season.
clearly, you’ve never been apart of competitive sports and if you are, you shouldn’t. Obviously you live by the philosophy of take the easy route.

It’s not the “easy route” to attract athletic talent to a small eastern Kentucky school.  A Raceland fan on here said themselves that this is an “arms race” to build the best team possible.  Look at the money that has been spent at Raceland to build an unbelievably attractive facility.  You think that’s just been done for fun or for the few kids from Old Farm and Poplar Highlands to enjoy?  Come on, Kentucky’s Finest.  Let’s be realistic.  Competitive sports are one thing.  Winning is an altogether different thing.  You have to have the Jimmy’s, Jenny’s, and Joe’s.  You think Pikeville’s team was all Pikeville kids?  There is a reason why their facilities look like those of an NFL team.  This attracts the best talent.  If you haven’t noticed, teams from our region that win have lots of Jimmy’s, Jenny’s, and Joe’s from all over the place.  I don’t mean to offend or come off like I’m downing Raceland’s players.  They had a good team this season and I was really hoping they could beat Pikeville.  When I finally saw Pikeville, though, I saw there is still a significant gap there.  Raceland is obviously committed to the cause of trying to get that banner.  I was just suggesting an idea that might help make that come to fruition.  Have you not studied the rosters of all teams who win in our region across all sports?  You should try it and see what you find.
Actually 19 of Pikevilles 22 Starters this year are products of our Youth System (Little League and Junior High). I know, because I coached all 19 of them at one time or another when they were 2nd-6th graders….Pikeville Myth:BUSTED!!!
Just to be clear 16th isn’t a Raceland fan. He just likes to talk football
(12-02-2022, 05:15 PM)Spud6 Wrote: One team looked like they’ve been there before, the other one looked like it was the first time they’ve ever been there.  Coaches included.
True. Think about it ''Home field advantage" for the Pikeville team; to quote a Pikeville football player#51 in 1989 when Pikeville was preparing for Class 1-A state championship game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
Top unsolved mysteries of our time:
3. Is there a Sasquatch
2. Loch Ness Monster, fact or fiction
1. WHERE ON EARTH IS RAM-A-DEVIL?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Micro-Brew
(12-06-2022, 02:55 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Top unsolved mysteries of our time:
3. Is there a Sasquatch
RAD is probably sitting in a dark room in his basement asking himself a multitude of questions.Like…why did Lundy have more rushes in the game then any other back.Why did Landen Newman never touch the ball.Why did Raceland leave a corner on a island all game trying to cover someone a foot taller.Why does Raceland slays play zero coverage.Why the almighty offensive wizard that is Mike salmons only have 36 points scored  against Pikeville in the last 4 meetings?Just to name a few things that could be going through his head hahah
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Micro-Brew
(12-06-2022, 02:55 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Top unsolved mysteries of our time:
3. Is there a Sasquatch
In another place and in another time there was the infamous NotsoBADCAT that vanished from the face of the earth.. Legends come and legends go, I guess.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bob Seger's post:
  • 16thregioner, Deuce8, jetpilot
Speaking of that……will Ashland be back in district with JC?
(12-06-2022, 12:02 PM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Speaking of that……will Ashland be back in district with JC?

I would say based on geography that the district will have 5 teams: JC, Ashland, Rowan Co., Boyd Co., and Greenup Co.
I have nothing but respect for Pikeville athletics as well as Raceland athletics. Pikeville Football is the benchmark for small school football and has been for a while. Raceland got beat by a better team in the state championship game nothing more - nothing less.

Give Raceland leaders credit for their committment to their kids and community. Raceland facilities are unmatched in that area. That type of commitment makes families want to be a part of that environment. I have nothing but good things to say about the Raceland community and school district.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The_Messenger's post:
  • RAMDAD50
When they re district 1A is there any chance that you see Raceland, Pikeville, and Paintsville in the same district? Keep in mind Betsy Layne moved to 2A.
(12-06-2022, 03:38 PM)Hambley Wrote: When they re district 1A is there any chance that you see Raceland, Pikeville, and Paintsville in the same district? Keep in mind Betsy Layne moved to 2A.
I don’t think so
(12-06-2022, 03:38 PM)Hambley Wrote: When they re district 1A is there any chance that you see Raceland, Pikeville, and Paintsville in the same district? Keep in mind Betsy Layne moved to 2A.
That is what they are saying so if they do that it puts 3 of the 4 strongest teams in the east in one district now if they are going to do away with the playoff system we have now and use RPI in the first round it might work but if not more than likely it’s knocking out some of the better teams in 1A but who knows it’s KHSAA
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • Big Five-0-
Nope looking more likely that it’s Hazard, Sayre, Middlesboro and Pikeville.
[-] The following 2 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Patriot1
(12-02-2022, 06:36 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Not surprising. I said all year 1A was Pikeville- big gap- Raceland- big gap- Paintsville/Hazard- everyone else.

(12-02-2022, 04:32 PM)Running wild 14 Wrote: Pikeville needs to move up to 2A. There is no competition for them in 1A. They are just to good for that division. I know Pikeville is losing a bunch of all time great seniors so maybe someone else will have a chance next year.
Or put Mayfield and Beechwood back in 1A. I’d love to see some Pikeville vs Beechwood/Mayfield matchups.
This talk sounds like Pikeville plays only the weaker teams in it's district and beats up on them at will. They play whoever is across from them, and not only that . they schedule and played a team from each class this season. That is WHY they won the Class 1-A championship. Yeah, i'd like to see them schedule Beechwood once again, along with Mayfield , but again, look at this season's schedule. As the old saying goes, "you gotta play the best to be the best"! Btw Having arguably the best coaching staff in the state doesn't hurt either.
(12-08-2022, 12:08 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(12-02-2022, 06:36 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Not surprising. I said all year 1A was Pikeville- big gap- Raceland- big gap- Paintsville/Hazard- everyone else.

(12-02-2022, 04:32 PM)Running wild 14 Wrote: Pikeville needs to move up to 2A. There is no competition for them in 1A. They are just to good for that division. I know Pikeville is losing a bunch of all time great seniors so maybe someone else will have a chance next year.
Or put Mayfield and Beechwood back in 1A. I’d love to see some Pikeville vs Beechwood/Mayfield matchups.
This talk sounds like Pikeville plays only the weaker teams in it's district and beats up on them at will. They play whoever is across from them, and not only that . they schedule and played a team from each class this season. That is WHY they won the Class 1-A championship. Yeah, i'd like to see them schedule Beechwood once again, along with Mayfield , but again, look at this season's schedule. As the old saying goes, "you gotta play the best to be the best"! Btw Having arguably the best coaching staff in the state doesn't hurt either.
Idk about in the state but Pikeville has the best staff in class A and second is nowhere close.
(12-08-2022, 12:08 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

Their 2 losses came from 4A runner up Corbin and 5A power CovCath.  They also steamrolled 2A semi finalist LCA and 3A power Belfry.  They were just really good this season and could have been competitive up to 4A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Big Five-0-
To all the Raceland fans that are down on their Coach. Let offer you a “Cautionary Tale”. In 2004, Coach Mac had just won his 3rd Regional Title in his first 6 seasons as Coach. Some grumblings around town from some fans was that Pikeville could “Do Better” than Chris MacNamee as its Head Coach. As laughable as that statement is now, there were some that seriously BELIEVED it at the time. Unfortunately, the ”Braintrust” at PHS at the time were listening to those statements and Mac leaving for Pike Central in ‘05 was a direct result of it.

The same administration who ran Mac out of Pikeville, then decided in their infinite wisdom to hire “The Snake Oil Salesman” Mike Jackson as Head Coach. Mac had always had a healthy roster with at least 45-50 kids playing. In Jackson’s last year as Coach in 2007 before he bolted back to Louisville…30 kids came out for football and 12 of them were seniors. Then the administration doubled down and hired Jackson’s top assistant Mike Copley as Head Coach who’d never been a head coach anywhere before and it showed. Dude was in WAY over his head. Another year of 25 kids out playing and another down year by Pikeville standards. Copley was fired after a year in ‘08 after getting embarrassed at home by Hazard in the regional finals (only our second regional appearance since Mac left and were blown out in both games.

MAC finally gets back in the saddle in 2010 after the alumni finally threw a big enough fit to get him back along with some much needed turnover in administration. The rest as they say is history.

In 2015, Mac wins his 1st State Title and Pikevilles first since 1989….He got ran out of town in ‘05….So, you see, thinking you can “do better” sometimes literally sets your program back 10 years….just keep that in mind…
[-] The following 1 user Likes HAIL PIKEVILLE!'s post:
  • Micro-Brew
I don’t think Raceland can do better than Salmons. I’ve excepted that. Mike is a great dude for young kids to be around. He is limited on the offensive side of the ball and in his game planing for big games. He’s done a great job of getting kids out for football and he will win more games then he loses. Ram fans need to realize it will take a year like Paintsville had when they won a state championship for the Rams to win one. Paintsville upset Raceland at Raceland and Hazard beat Pikeville the same night. Paintsville had a cream puff in the finals. Mike will never coach a win….it’s just not gonna happen. I’m fine with that cause I don’t want anyone else at Raceland.
Mike has become a good friend of mine over the years. We don’t pull any punches when we speak. He is great for the program