Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland @ Boyd County 12/13
(12-15-2022, 12:55 AM)16thregioner Wrote: This is untrue.  

Deboard was the game’s high scorer and high assist guy.  MVP of the game.  Boyd County did not want him on their team this season.  Listen to the call as 16thregionballer often requests.  He was bullied out the door and not even allowed back into the Boyd County homecoming dance this year.  Deboard isn’t a Jason Mays recruit.  He’s a player Spurlock wanted gone and he got his way.

Zander Carter came to Ashland before his freshman year.  I don’t think his presence makes the program unclean.  Besides, that was about the worst performance he’s put on a basketball floor in his career as a Tomcat.  Gracious sakes, wait until he brings his A game against Boyd.

The Davis brothers were at Boyd.  Were they recruited to Ashland?  Their mom is the girls basketball coach at Ashland and was the all-time scorer until a few years ago.  Seems legit to me.

I’ve never heard of Conway, Freize, and Adkins playing anywhere else but Ashland.  

This was no superstar recruit-filled Tomcat team.  Maybe older kids beating the crap out of younger teams in middle school doesn’t necessarily equate to varsity success?  Or maybe Ellis shot it too much?Or maybe it’s Randy Anderson?  I don’t know.
Only an Ashland homer take.  Listen to the recording and if it is possible, be unbiased.  I have no ill will toward Ashland but they without a shadow of a doubt recruited players.  Key players on the team were recruited, there is no denying that.

Deboard was the game’s high scorer and high assist guy.  MVP of the game.  Boyd County did not want him on their team this season.  Listen to the call as 16thregionballer often requests.  He was bullied out the door and not even allowed back into the Boyd County homecoming dance this year.  Deboard isn’t a Jason Mays recruit.  He’s a player Spurlock wanted gone and he got his way.

Zander Carter came to Ashland before his freshman year.  I don’t think his presence makes the program unclean.  Besides, that was about the worst performance he’s put on a basketball floor in his career as a Tomcat.  Gracious sakes, wait until he brings his A game against Boyd.

The Davis brothers were at Boyd.  Were they recruited to Ashland?  Their mom is the girls basketball coach at Ashland and was the all-time scorer until a few years ago.  Seems legit to me.

I’ve never heard of Conway, Freize, and Adkins playing anywhere else but Ashland.  

This was no superstar recruit-filled Tomcat team.  Maybe older kids beating the crap out of younger teams in middle school doesn’t necessarily equate to varsity success?  Or maybe Ellis shot it too much?Or maybe it’s Randy Anderson?  I don’t know.
Let’s once again go back to the audio that Jason Mays openly say. I have Brian Lemaster handling the Rheyce Deboard situation. Before he ever came to Ashland he told other kids that coach Mays came to his house and recruited him. That’s all fact. 

Z was also mentioned in the Jason Mays audio on how to circumvent the khsaa by transferring in as a freshman. Fact. Audio. In addition to Steve making it know when Z would get benched as a freshman that not what we were promised. He lives in Greenup county. You don’t think thats “unclean” ?

Nate is from East Carter. he is an actual transfer like the other four Boyd county kids on the roster.  The Bath kid was recruited as well. Just like Marcum was. 

I don’t like to keep bringing it up but at least tell the truth. The truth is on audio. the boys played a great game. However there were times when we didn’t have one homegrown Tomcat on the floor.  That’s why the parents of homegrown ashland kids are upset about Mays recruiting players. It’s embarrassing when Boyd student section yelled what school they are from when they either touched ball or shooting free throws. It was good clean fun but just a talking point and a reality.
(12-15-2022, 10:50 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:

Let’s once again go back to the audio that Jason Mays openly say. I have Brian Lemaster handling the Rheyce Deboard situation. Before he ever came to Ashland he told other kids that coach Mays came to his house and recruited him. That’s all fact. 

Z was also mentioned in the Jason Mays audio on how to circumvent the khsaa by transferring in as a freshman. Fact. Audio. In addition to Steve making it know when Z would get benched as a freshman that not what we were promised. He lives in Greenup county. You don’t think thats “unclean” ?

Nate is from East Carter. he is an actual transfer like the other four Boyd county kids on the roster.  The Bath kid was recruited as well. Just like Marcum was. 

I don’t like to keep bringing it up but at least tell the truth. The truth is on audio. the boys played a great game. However there were times when we didn’t have one homegrown Tomcat on the floor.  That’s why the parents of homegrown ashland kids are upset about Mays recruiting players. It’s embarrassing when Boyd student section yelled what school they are from when they either touched ball or shooting free throws. It was good clean fun but just a talking point and a reality.
Another truth about the audio that has not been mentioned is that if Mays would have agreed to make Jacob his PG for the next four years which was the real reason Spurlock made that call, Mays would still be coaching and and the Spurlocks would be supporting maroon. Spurlock tried several times during that call to get Mays to talk about his son playing PG for Ashland and Mays would not commit. Trust the fact that Spurlock has a motive to do what he has done and what he is trying to do now.
I think the only difference in opinion we have is that you see this as an “Ashland” problem while I see it as a problem that reaches more schools than just Ashland.  I know Ashland and Mays are the ones that got caught.  Many other parents could have made secret recordings while shopping their kids around and released them over the years, though, but they didn’t.

I do agree with you in that I’d love to see ALL sports in our region over the last decade be replayed with no transfers.  It would be much more competitive.  That’s just not the way things have gone, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • Ramcat77
(12-15-2022, 01:39 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:

Only an Ashland homer take.  Listen to the recording and if it is possible, be unbiased.  I have no ill will toward Ashland but they without a shadow of a doubt recruited players.  Key players on the team were recruited, there is no denying that.

I try to tune in when I get a chance and when I do I can usually count on the last comment on these Ashland threads coming from Soc or his "thread buddy".

Quoting Wikipedia (LOL) concerning reasons for getting the last word: "Getting the last word means that you win the debate. It also shows your moral superiority. This should convince your opponent that you are correct. It is particularly important to get the last word where you are in some doubts as to the merits of your case. The last word will serve as a clinching argument that will make up for any deficiencies in your logic". 

This explains a lot especially given Soc has taken the name of the first Greek moral philosopher. He gives himself away every time he reiterates that he has nothing against Ashland and is on the outside looking in. This stance gives him a higher moral ground and strengthens his arguments. All the while 99% of his posts deal with Ashland?? 

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT A SPECIFIC GAME AND SOMEONE MADE A COMMENT ABOUT THE GREAT BASKEBALL CULTURE AT ASHLAND and here we go again. You can't let someone say anything positive about Ashland and yet you have no ill will towards Ashland! You don't have a dog in the fight! You are looking at this strictly though the lens of objectivity and doing it for the good of humanity!

Sir, you are confused and obsessed. Period.
[-] The following 2 users Like i82much's post:
  • 4THEWIN, Ramcat77
(12-15-2022, 12:47 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I think the only difference in opinion we have is that you see this as an “Ashland” problem while I see it as a problem that reaches more schools than just Ashland.  I know Ashland and Mays are the ones that got caught.  Many other parents could have made secret recordings while shopping their kids around and released them over the years, though, but they didn’t.

I do agree with you in that I’d love to see ALL sports in our region over the last decade be replayed with no transfers.  It would be much more competitive.  That’s just not the way things have gone, though.
No I don’t think this is just an Ashland problem. I think khsaa needs to hold all schools accountable. Bath county tried to bring a Canada kid who graduated there last year. A kid from Texas. They got reported as well. So no I don’t think recruiting is just at one school.  I have listened to that audio countless times. It upsets me more each time I do to hear how Mays operates. I actually just listened to it again to see if what you are reporting on here is accurate.  It’s not accurate. I wanted to hear what you said about Deboard being pushed out.  The dad actually said he tried to mentor him and help him during open gym times. Even complimented his athletic abilities. 

I never heard the dad ask about coming to ashland when begged by Mays. Even said he wasn’t interested. That his kid would never want to leave the kids he played with. That’s all right there on the audio. Near the end. Mays tape. Multiple times he asked Mays why do you want my kid when you have these other kids. Mays then bashes his kids and compliments his kid. So I don’t even see the shopping comment to be accurate unless you have phone records of shopping. Because I would think at this point in this debacle. One coach, one AD Or Principal would have came forward with proof of that. Mays put that out during team meetings and practices to act as if he wasn’t the only one when this all first broke and kept saying it. But we all know now from that first letter he wrote with an apologetic explanation that it was full of lies!  I like proof. Not hearsay which is another way to say IDK or a lie. IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregionballer's post:
  • 4THEWIN
(12-15-2022, 01:21 PM)i82much Wrote:

I try to tune in when I get a chance and when I do I can usually count on the last comment on these Ashland threads coming from Soc or his "thread buddy".

Quoting Wikipedia (LOL) concerning reasons for getting the last word: "Getting the last word means that you win the debate. It also shows your moral superiority. This should convince your opponent that you are correct. It is particularly important to get the last word where you are in some doubts as to the merits of your case. The last word will serve as a clinching argument that will make up for any deficiencies in your logic". 

This explains a lot especially given Soc has taken the name of the first Greek moral philosopher. He gives himself away every time he reiterates that he has nothing against Ashland and is on the outside looking in. This stance gives him a higher moral ground and strengthens his arguments. All the while 99% of his posts deal with Ashland?? 

THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT A SPECIFIC GAME AND SOMEONE MADE A COMMENT ABOUT THE GREAT BASKEBALL CULTURE AT ASHLAND and here we go again. You can't let someone say anything positive about Ashland and yet you have no ill will towards Ashland! You don't have a dog in the fight! You are looking at this strictly though the lens of objectivity and doing it for the good of humanity!

Appreciate the direct reply.  You are skewing the truth again.  The comment was that Ashland had the BEST culture.  To me and anyone outside of Ashland that is a backhanded statement to all the other teams that don’t have a cheating culture.  I have nothing personal against Ashland and certainly nothing personal against the kids there.  It is disgusting though to see Ashland homers try to justify and gloss over these actions in a teenage sport.  It’s cheating.  It’s not fair to other teams.  It sets a bad example for kids that should be mentored and steered in the direction of integrity.  Do you disagree or are you going to just try to muddy the waters and point fingers?  It does seem as though some Ashland fans get it.  It is obvious you are not one of those Ashland fans.

(12-15-2022, 12:47 PM)16thregioner Wrote: I think the only difference in opinion we have is that you see this as an “Ashland” problem while I see it as a problem that reaches more schools than just Ashland.  I know Ashland and Mays are the ones that got caught.  Many other parents could have made secret recordings while shopping their kids around and released them over the years, though, but they didn’t.

I think there are plenty of coaches/admin that don’t try and deter a good player from coming to their school.  I can’t say I think that is the same for coaches/admin that actually systemically recruit.  I’m guessing a handful of other school have or still do and we could both probably name them in short order.  Ashland was actually caught.  If others are caught then they should be equally punished. So this truly is only an Ashland problem at this time.

(12-15-2022, 02:38 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

Appreciate the direct reply.  You are skewing the truth again.  The comment was that Ashland had the BEST culture.  To me and anyone outside of Ashland that is a backhanded statement to all the other teams that don’t have a cheating culture.  I have nothing personal against Ashland and certainly nothing personal against the kids there.  It is disgusting though to see Ashland homers try to justify and gloss over these actions in a teenage sport.  It’s cheating.  It’s not fair to other teams.  It sets a bad example for kids that should be mentored and steered in the direction of integrity.  Do you disagree or are you going to just try to muddy the waters and point fingers?  It does seem as though some Ashland fans get it.  It is obvious you are not one of those Ashland fans.

I think there are plenty of coaches/admin that don’t try and deter a good player from coming to their school.  I can’t say I think that is the same for coaches/admin that actually systemically recruit.  I’m guessing a handful of other school have or still do and we could both probably name them in short order.  Ashland was actually caught.  If others are caught then they should be equally punished. So this truly is only an Ashland problem at this time.
All that being said, they are currently indisputably the best team in the region.

Soc....all the ribbing aside....I don't agree with what happened, period, it's just time to move on. They fired the coach and more punishment may come, I don't know. 

I guess I am an Ashland "homer" along with Raceland, Greenup, and Russell. I love and have ties to all of these districts but I'm probably more of a Raceland homer since I have lived there most of my life and my kids went to school there. Heck, I don't agree with everything that's gone on at Raceland, I'm not talking about transfers (which happen everywhere and to what extent recruiting is involved I don't know). I'm talking about the "hold back" situation which has become the norm at Raceland. A decision made by one group of young men long before Covid gave kids in grades behind them no choice but to do the same. The state decision which allowed kids to repeat a grade if they felt they were disadvantaged because of a lack of technology, proper learning environment, etc. during Covid and the subsequent decision by the KHSAA to allow another year of eligibility reopened the floodgate. No school anywhere that I know of has a greater percentage of holdbacks (and the vast majority play football) than my school system. I don't agree with it and I voiced my opinion about it and then I let it go. I was pulling for them to win a title this year and I will in future years. Along the same lines for decades my school system has not even entertained the idea of having a soccer program. I have heard time and time again that it would destroy the football program even though almost every (if not all, I haven't done my homework) 1A state champion for the last 20 years also had a soccer program. Kids born in the Raceland school district have no choice but to leave if they want to play soccer. These things are just wrong, but nonetheless,  I will continue to support my school and hope they continue to win. This is fodder for another thread so I'll shut up now....
(12-15-2022, 03:35 PM)i82much Wrote:

Soc....all the ribbing aside....I don't agree with what happened, period, it's just time to move on. They fired the coach and more punishment may come, I don't know. 

I guess I am an Ashland "homer" along with Raceland, Greenup, and Russell. I love and have ties to all of these districts but I'm probably more of a Raceland homer since I have lived there most of my life and my kids went to school there. Heck, I don't agree with everything that's gone on at Raceland, I'm not talking about transfers (which happen everywhere and to what extent recruiting is involved I don't know). I'm talking about the "hold back" situation which has become the norm at Raceland. A decision made by one group of young men long before Covid gave kids in grades behind them no choice but to do the same. The state decision which allowed kids to repeat a grade if they felt they were disadvantaged because of a lack of technology, proper learning environment, etc. during Covid and the subsequent decision by the KHSAA to allow another year of eligibility reopened the floodgate. No school anywhere that I know of has a greater percentage of holdbacks (and the vast majority play football) than my school system. I don't agree with it and I voiced my opinion about it and then I let it go. I was pulling for them to win a title this year and I will in future years. Along the same lines for decades my school system has not even entertained the idea of having a soccer program. I have heard time and time again that it would destroy the football program even though almost every (if not all, I haven't done my homework) 1A state champion for the last 20 years also had a soccer program. Kids born in the Raceland school district have no choice but to leave if they want to play soccer. These things are just wrong, but nonetheless,  I will continue to support my school and hope they continue to win. This is fodder for another thread so I'll shut up now....
I’m just being realistic.  Every game they win in the 16th region will be met with “if they had not recruited then we would have won” or “Why in the world would Ashland play the recruits knowing they just got caught, they just continue to disregard rules”. Can you imagine if they actually won the region if the are eligible at that time?

I’m being realistic, unfortunately some like to think it’s all rainbows and unicorns from Ashland.  Every win will be with an asterisk until it flushes out.  Again that is being realistic  and not let’s just move on, nothing to see here when no opposing team sees it that way.  I’m sure Ashland would like it but all other fanbases are smarter than that.
(12-15-2022, 11:47 AM)16thfan Wrote: Another truth about the audio that has not been mentioned is that if Mays would have agreed to make Jacob his PG for the next four years which was the real reason Spurlock made that call, Mays would still be coaching and and the Spurlocks would be supporting maroon. Spurlock tried several times during that call to get Mays to talk about his son playing PG for Ashland and Mays would not commit. Trust the fact that Spurlock has a motive to do what he has done and what he is trying to do now.
You might want to listen to that audio again.LOL. Mays offered to drop Deboard immediately if that was a deal breaker. I quote Mays from the audio.  “ I would rather to have spurlock for 4 years instead of Deboard for 1. To be honest he will be better than any of them” unquote.  You might take time to listen to it. It’s right around the part when Mays said I have Lemaster handling the Rheyce Deboard situation.  The recruit portion.
I have listened several times and Spurlock states to Mays your only spot open next year to the 1 spot meaning the PG position he states because the other spots are taken. Dude we know what Mays motive was here during this call. We don’t need anymore repeats on that. I think we all get it and understand it and he paid the price for it. I would like to know Spurlocks motive though I mean he got Mays fired and helped get rid of Deboard from Boyd and then he was in the stands Tuesday going after Anderson I mean what is this guys deal. I know after seeing the game Tuesday all this effort and time spent to get Mays out meant nothing when it came to the score and Ashland dominating yet another game against Boyd. I wonder if it is time to trim the real cancer out of Boyd co basketball.
[-] The following 2 users Like 16thfan's post:
  • Ky1976, LOOKAYANNER
(12-15-2022, 06:22 PM)16thfan Wrote: I have listened several times and Spurlock states to Mays your only spot open next year to the 1 spot meaning the PG position he states because the other spots are taken. Dude we know what Mays motive was here during this call. We don’t need anymore repeats on that. I think we all get it and understand it and he paid the price for it. I would like to know Spurlocks motive though I mean he got Mays fired and helped get rid of Deboard from Boyd and then he was in the stands Tuesday going after Anderson I mean what is this guys deal. I know after seeing the game Tuesday all this effort and time spent to get Mays out meant nothing when it came to the score and Ashland dominating yet another game against Boyd. I wonder if it is time to trim the real cancer out of Boyd co basketball.
You saw him at the game like we all did. If you are really worried about his motive. Why not just walk up to him and ask? I think we know the answer to that. Mays tape Deboard was recruited among others. We all know that here at Ashland. I personally like to know what mays true motives were. Deboard plays the pg.  Spurlock is a sg. Like Mays said on the audio. His vacant is at the pg. I feel sorry for Cameron Davis. To hear his coach say he isn’t ready and recruit Deboard as pg. Thank goodness Mays isn’t here now. No one position would be secure other than Z. The rest would have gotten recruited around.  Yes. Your are right about your quote. Spurlock did say that.  That’s when he asked why would you want mine?  When you have Conway and Adkins?  Mays I quote states. They are liabilities and can’t him shots. Ring a bell?  Reflect back to Mays audio recording of him recruiting the 8th grader from Boyd
I would ask him if I knew our conversation would not be recorded. Dude you should know better than to ask a question like that. Bottom line you and Spurlock have some work to do because just getting rid of Mays isn’t going to get what your after. Boyd’s issue of not having the ability to complete with Ashland this year runs much deeper than Mays or any so called recruits.
What current Boyd players were on the super 6th grade team that Spurlock references in the call that beat Ashland by 60 and beat undefeated teams from Indianapolis?
(12-15-2022, 08:12 PM)16thregioner Wrote: What current Boyd players were on the super 6th grade team that Spurlock references in the call that beat Ashland by 60 and beat undefeated teams from Indianapolis?

Would rather not mention kids names on here, but pretty sure there are only 3. Maybe 4
(12-15-2022, 07:56 PM)16thfan Wrote: I would ask him if I knew our conversation would not be recorded. Dude you should know better than to ask a question like that. Bottom line you and Spurlock have some work to do because just getting rid of Mays isn’t going to get what you’re after. Boyd’s issue of not having the ability to complete with Ashland this year runs much deeper than Mays or any so called recruits.
Well I would recommend you ask him. I just want us to develop our kids. Not recruit  over our kids. Simple. Not have a coach talk about our kids. I bet your one of the recruited parents. At the parent meeting asking why and who is responsible for him being fired. Your answer is Mays is responsible.

(12-15-2022, 11:23 PM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 07:56 PM)16thfan Wrote: I would ask him if I knew our conversation would not be recorded. Dude you should know better than to ask a question like that. Bottom line you and Spurlock have some work to do because just getting rid of Mays isn’t going to get what you’re after. Boyd’s issue of not having the ability to complete with Ashland this year runs much deeper than Mays or any so called recruits.
Well I would recommend you ask him. I just want us to develop our kids. Not recruit  over our kids. Simple. Not have a coach talk about our kids. I bet your one of the recruited parents. At the parent meeting asking why and who is responsible for him being fired. Your answer is Mays is responsible.
 Don’t have any kids on the team, just a fan, however my son transferred to Boyd county to play baseball for Hamilton 25 years ago. Was not at the parent meeting as I did not have to be there to know what happened and why Mays was fired. Mays was fired because he deserved to be fired but your comment earlier (You saw him at the game like we all did. If you are really worried about his motive. Why not just walk up to him and ask? I think we know the answer to that is) That talk does not set well with me dude. If you and your buddy Spurlock wants to get with me we can do that any time. I don’t sweat you or Spurlock. So you make that choice. You want to come at me with some type of bullying mentality I can play that game with you. Mays is gone no one in there right mind will attempt to recruit going forward so let it go. Dude I am the second person you have blamed of being a parent of a transfer glorifying Mays. I liked Mays before I heard that tape but I am glad he is gone. But blasting everyone that takes up for Ashland and is happy the we just beat Boyd for the 13th straight time just ain’t right. I am going to cheer for Ashland whether Mays, Bonner, or who ever. I would root for Ashland if Randy Anderson coached us. You have issues beyond blasting out to folks on this forum. I think you need to go take your problem up the coaches and Campbell. 
Well Baller you had best talk to about 95% of the programs in the state because parents and sports staffs are going to be communicating before nearly all these transfer situations occur. Players just don’t show up like a teleport on Star Trek, there is nearly always advance work going on. It’s just most staffs don’t communicate with people that go to the lengths that Spurlock did to tape a call….a call that he originated. What happened in the Ashland incident is business as usual throughout the state. Look around you. It’s transfer city all across the state. It’s hard to keep up with from year to year.  
A Jefferson County coach once told me that at several of his coaching interviews he was told he would be expected to recruit the countywide middle schools for the best players. You’re demonizing Mays when he is just one pup in a big family of dogs. If I was thinking of transferring my kid to another school you had better bet that I am going to want to talk to the future coach and hear from him/her what their program is like, how is it run, summer activities discipline, school academics, etc etc etc. However, if the coach gives me a rundown of all those things to answer my questions he has technically violated the KHSAA bylaw. So Mays is no longer Ashland coach. He’s out. You and a few other posters should be happy, but you still won’t let it go. You want to get a dude down and then grind your heels into his body. He’s suffered  the pain of losing his coaching position. And his wife has been battling a serious health concern that is a worry for him. Get off this continual belittling routine and put it behind you. Get behind Coach Bonner and the Tomcats or whoever your favorite team and cheer up and enjoy the rest of the season.
(12-16-2022, 12:44 AM)16thfan Wrote:

Don’t have any kids on the team, just a fan, however my son transferred to Boyd county to play baseball for Hamilton 25 years ago. Was not at the parent meeting as I did not have to be there to know what happened and why Mays was fired. Mays was fired because he deserved to be fired but your comment earlier (You saw him at the game like we all did. If you are really worried about his motive. Why not just walk up to him and ask? I think we know the answer to that is) That talk does not set well with me dude. If you and your buddy Spurlock wants to get with me we can do that any time. I don’t sweat you or Spurlock. So you make that choice. You want to come at me with some type of bullying mentality I can play that game with you. Mays is gone no one in there right mind will attempt to recruit going forward so let it go. Dude I am the second person you have blamed of being a parent of a transfer glorifying Mays. I liked Mays before I heard that tape but I am glad he is gone. But blasting everyone that takes up for Ashland and is happy the we just beat Boyd for the 13th straight time just ain’t right. I am going to cheer for Ashland whether Mays, Bonner, or who ever. I would root for Ashland if Randy Anderson coached us. You have issues beyond blasting out to folks on this forum. I think you need to go take your problem up the coaches and Campbell. 
You are obviously confused. Sounds like. You say you are glad Mays is gone. But you defend him. Makes sense. You have no dog in the fight. I get it. My stance has been this entire time. Mays was recruiting kids to play over kids who are home grown. Not developing our kids. Picking from other teams kids. As far as you saying something to him. That’s on you. By the looks of him. Good luck with that. I’m sure that’s why you didn’t at the game. So don’t come at me because you were scared to say something to him. Now you are upset at me. I don’t know him. People were pointing him out in the stands.  Campbell and Howard say the same thing. No comment. Bonner has done a great job with our kids. Always have. You seem to be upset about it. You moved your kid from ashland to play at Boyd?  If you were there. You heard the cheers of their student section saying the name of our recruited kids school. It’s embarrassing don’t you think?

(12-16-2022, 01:13 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
Well Baller you had best talk to about 95% of the programs in the state because parents and sports staffs are going to be communicating before nearly all these transfer situations occur. Players just don’t show up like a teleport on Star Trek, there is nearly always advance work going on. It’s just most staffs don’t communicate with people that go to the lengths that Spurlock did to tape a call….a call that he originated. What happened in the Ashland incident is business as usual throughout the state. Look around you. It’s transfer city all across the state. It’s hard to keep up with from year to year.  
A Jefferson County coach once told me that at several of his coaching interviews he was told he would be expected to recruit the countywide middle schools for the best players. You’re demonizing Mays when he is just one pup in a big family of dogs. If I was thinking of transferring my kid to another school you had better bet that I am going to want to talk to the future coach and hear from him/her what their program is like, how is it run, summer activities discipline, school academics, etc etc etc. However, if the coach gives me a rundown of all those things to answer my questions he has technically violated the KHSAA bylaw. So Mays is no longer Ashland coach. He’s out. You and a few other posters should be happy, but you still won’t let it go. You want to get a dude down and then grind your heels into his body. He’s suffered  the pain of losing his coaching position. And his wife has been battling a serious health concern that is a worry for him. Get off this continual belittling routine and put it behind you. Get behind Coach Bonner and the Tomcats or whoever your favorite team and cheer up and enjoy the rest of the season.
no 95% schools don’t RECRUIT.  Kids do transfer. Bonner is a class act. I do stand behind him and root for kids. Mays contacting kids plural. That is wrong. Regardless how you keep babbling. Let it go.
This is the BS that gets under my skin.  95% of schools DO NOT recruit.  That is ridiculous to say that.  There is no justification for Ashland's recruiting, and it would be embarrassing for any school.

(12-16-2022, 01:44 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
This is the BS that gets under my skin.  95% of schools DO NOT recruit.  That is ridiculous to say that.  There is no justification for Ashland's recruiting, and it would be embarrassing for any school.
Also, Ashland is still clearly benefiting from these recruiting efforts so there will be no just move along now, nothing to see here.  FYI, "Ashland" is currently the top team in the region, you must be so proud.
(12-16-2022, 01:33 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:

You are obviously confused. Sounds like. You say you are glad Mays is gone. But you defend him. Makes sense. You have no dog in the fight. I get it. My stance has been this entire time. Mays was recruiting kids to play over kids who are home grown. Not developing our kids. Picking from other teams kids. As far as you saying something to him. That’s on you. By the looks of him. Good luck with that. I’m sure that’s why you didn’t at the game. So don’t come at me because you were scared to say something to him. Now you are upset at me. I don’t know him. People were pointing him out in the stands.  Campbell and Howard say the same thing. No comment. Bonner has done a great job with our kids. Always have. You seem to be upset about it. You moved your kid from ashland to play at Boyd?  If you were there. You heard the cheers of their student section saying the name of our recruited kids school. It’s embarrassing don’t you think?

no 95% schools don’t RECRUIT.  Kids do transfer. Bonner is a class act. I do stand behind him and root for kids. Mays contacting kids plural. That is wrong. Regardless how you keep babbling. Let it go.
I am not confused at all. You are if you think I need luck with you or Spurlock. Another fact I was not at the game but watched it on myTown. I did not say I wanted to talk to Spurlock dude you suggested that I talk to Spurlock. I ask you what his deal was because you make it aound like he is your hero and best friend. So don’t twist this up as I stated I wanted to talk to him. If I want to I will. Man what ever Mays did to you or your family member has you twisted and bent way to far out of shape. You may need to talk to someone other than the folks within Ashland basketball. Again I don’t need luck believe that. I have never approved of what Mays did but I also disagree in calling someone and getting them into a conversation and then making that conversation available to the public. Spurlock could have got Mays just as good if he just kept the tape within the khssa but he didn’t just want Mays he wanted Ashland basketball, which includes you. No matter how much you try to twist this dude Spurlock got you too. You say you don’t know him but you support him when he would shut our program down today if he could. Kind of embarrassing isn’t it.

(12-16-2022, 02:09 AM)16thfan Wrote:

I am not confused at all. You are if you think I need luck with you or Spurlock. Another fact I was not at the game but watched it on myTown. I did not say I wanted to talk to Spurlock dude you suggested that I talk to Spurlock. I ask you what his deal was because you make it aound like he is your hero and best friend. So don’t twist this up as I stated I wanted to talk to him. If I want to I will. Man what ever Mays did to you or your family member has you twisted and bent way to far out of shape. You may need to talk to someone other than the folks within Ashland basketball. Again I don’t need luck believe that. I have never approved of what Mays did but I also disagree in calling someone and getting them into a conversation and then making that conversation available to the public. Spurlock could have got Mays just as good if he just kept the tape within the khssa but he didn’t just want Mays he wanted Ashland basketball, which includes you. No matter how much you try to twist this dude Spurlock got you too. You say you don’t know him but you support him when he would shut our program down today if he could. Kind of embarrassing isn’t it.
Baller I will take what ever response you see fit but as for me it is time for us to agree to disagree. No hard feelings but dude I am a tomcat fan and wish all of this never happened. I am a fan of every kid on that team both Varsity and JV. I hope you find peace in all this as it sounds as though it has been a rough ride. Good luck.

(12-15-2022, 10:50 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Let’s once again go back to the audio that Jason Mays openly say. I have Brian Lemaster handling the Rheyce Deboard situation. Before he ever came to Ashland he told other kids that coach Mays came to his house and recruited him. That’s all fact. 

(12-15-2022, 11:23 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Well I would recommend you ask him. I just want us to develop our kids. Not recruit  over our kids. Simple. Not have a coach talk about our kids. I bet your one of the recruited parents. At the parent meeting asking why and who is responsible for him being fired. Your answer is Mays is responsible.

(12-15-2022, 11:23 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Well I would recommend you ask him. I just want us to develop our kids. Not recruit  over our kids. Simple. Not have a coach talk about our kids. I bet your one of the recruited parents. At the parent meeting asking why and who is responsible for him being fired. Your answer is Mays is responsible.
Baller I will take what ever response you see fit but as for me it is time for us to agree to disagree. No hard feelings but dude I am a tomcat fan and wish all of this never happened. I am a fan of every kid on that team both Varsity and JV. I hope you find peace in all this as it sounds as though it has been a rough ride. Good luck.
I appreciate it. It has been rough on the home grown kids. If you look at the FB comments and was around the program. You can see the frustration of the parents and kids who have been affected by Mays recruitment. As a parent you hate to see your kid done wrong as many have not just mine. That’s what hard to swallow. Mays has been removed. The atmosphere has definitely changed for the better. I don’t think Bonner is going to recruit his holes. He will develop as he should. I appreciate your support.

(12-16-2022, 09:39 AM)16thregionballer Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 10:50 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: Let’s once again go back to the audio that Jason Mays openly say. I have Brian Lemaster handling the Rheyce Deboard situation. Before he ever came to Ashland he told other kids that coach Mays came to his house and recruited him. That’s all fact. 

(12-16-2022, 12:44 AM)16thfan Wrote:  Don’t have any kids on the team, just a fan, however my son transferred to Boyd county to play baseball for Hamilton 25 years ago. Was not at the parent meeting as I did not have to be there to know what happened and why Mays was fired. Mays was fired because he deserved to be fired but your comment earlier (You saw him at the game like we all did. If you are really worried about his motive. Why not just walk up to him and ask? I think we know the answer to that is) That talk does not set well with me dude. If you and your buddy Spurlock wants to get with me we can do that any time. I don’t sweat you or Spurlock. So you make that choice. You want to come at me with some type of bullying mentality I can play that game with you. Mays is gone no one in there right mind will attempt to recruit going forward so let it go. Dude I am the second person you have blamed of being a parent of a transfer glorifying Mays. I liked Mays before I heard that tape but I am glad he is gone. But blasting everyone that takes up for Ashland and is happy the we just beat Boyd for the 13th straight time just ain’t right. I am going to cheer for Ashland whether Mays, Bonner, or who ever. I would root for Ashland if Randy Anderson coached us. You have issues beyond blasting out to folks on this forum. I think you need to go take your problem up the coaches and Campbell. 

(12-16-2022, 01:13 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Well Baller you had best talk to about 95% of the programs in the state because parents and sports staffs are going to be communicating before nearly all these transfer situations occur. Players just don’t show up like a teleport on Star Trek, there is nearly always advance work going on. It’s just most staffs don’t communicate with people that go to the lengths that Spurlock did to tape a call….a call that he originated. What happened in the Ashland incident is business as usual throughout the state. Look around you. It’s transfer city all across the state. It’s hard to keep up with from year to year.  
I appreciate it. It has been rough on the home grown kids. If you look at the FB comments and was around the program. You can see the frustration of the parents and kids who have been affected by Mays recruitment. As a parent you hate to see your kid done wrong as many have not just mine. That’s what hard to swallow. Mays has been removed. The atmosphere has definitely changed for the better. I don’t think Bonner is going to recruit his holes. He will develop as he should. I appreciate your support.
Mays is no victim in this at all. He is the perpetrator in all of this. He is solely to blame for his removal. If Khsaa fines,sanctions or bans post season. It lies solely on Jason Mays. Jason Mays put Ashland and the basketball program at risk. You have people divided. You have the recruited kids parents and some people in your position meaning no dog in the fight. Meaning no kids involved. Then you have people who have kids in the program watching this go on for years. Who are upset at what he was doing. He is now gone. Ashland is better for it. Just so you know khsaa sent a letter to Campbell and Howard with list of other issues they discovered in their investigation.
I’ll clarify something I earlier posted. The so-called “recruiting” that is constantly mentioned here in transfers throughout the state, the conversation is nearly always originated through the parents or guardians. Now, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the coach they speak to, it could be someone on the coaching staff or a booster, but the transferring party are the first ones to act. Technically, and subsequently, if they are drawn into a conversation with the parents, as happened with Mays, that is considered a recruiting violation by KHSAA standards.
However, coaches or staff don’t sit around all day contemplating a list of athletes to contact in some way to convince them to transfer to their schools. Mays didn’t do that either. But that’s what Baller and a few more are trying to infer. That would actually be recruiting. What he got caught up in is a technicality.
I’ve been around a long time. I’ve coached. I’ve watched basketball. Followed it for many years. I know what I’m talking about. This parent/guardian wanting to move their kid out of one system and into another for basketball purposes has been going on since the early days of the KHSAA. Hazard won the state title in 1955 with the best player Fleming-Neon once had. I watched a streamed game last night in another region. Big rivalry. The players that led each team in scoring both played on the same team for another rival school in the region last year. Transferring and communication between parents, staffs or boosters have been occurring since the 1920s. It’s just no one taped the calls. No one transfers their kid without speaking to someone in advance. They didn’t in the 1950s and they don’t today either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • 16thregioner
(12-16-2022, 10:12 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: I’ll clarify something I earlier posted. The so-called “recruiting” that is constantly mentioned here in transfers throughout the state, the conversation is nearly always originated through the parents or guardians. Now, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the coach they speak to, it could be someone on the coaching staff or a booster, but the transferring party are the first ones to act. Technically, and subsequently, if they are drawn into a conversation with the parents, as happened with Mays, that is considered a recruiting violation by KHSAA standards.
However, coaches or staff don’t sit around all day contemplating a list of athletes to contact in some way to convince them to transfer to their schools. Mays didn’t do that either. But that’s what Baller and a few more are trying to infer. That would actually be recruiting. What he got caught up in is a technicality.
I’ve been around a long time. I’ve coached. I’ve watched basketball. Followed it for many years. I know what I’m talking about. This parent/guardian wanting to move their kid out of one system and into another for basketball purposes has been going on since the early days of the KHSAA. Hazard won the state title in 1955 with the best player Fleming-Neon once had. I watched a streamed game last night in another region. Big rivalry. The players that led each team in scoring both played on the same team for another rival school in the region last year. Transferring and communication between parents, staffs or boosters have been occurring since the 1920s. It’s just no one taped the calls. No one transfers their kid without speaking to someone in advance. They didn’t in the 1950s and they don’t today either.
Unless they were using a hammer and chisel in the 20-50’s. Haha. I understand totally now. You have dementia. Bless your heart. I like that defense. Everyone being doing it. Regardless of the bylaws. If it were court. I’m sure it goes over well. Judge everyone is speeding. Why are you holding me accountable. Haha. Look, I see you in a different light now. Now I understand your condition.
Baller, you must have either been living under a rock for the past decade or you are the most personally offended parent of ALL-TIME from his son not getting playing time at Ashland. This is going on in ALL sports EVERYWHERE winning is taking place across the 16th region.

FOOTBALL
Best team in the area was Raceland. Their QB was from Russell, even saving Red Devil alumni from a burning house in his neighborhood on his way to school. Leading receiver was from Russell. 3 of top 6 tacklers were from Symmes Valley, Ironton, and Russell. Raceland has NEVER won a state title. They've never even placed a kid in a D-1 college that I know of except for a kicker a couple decades ago and the big Swedish foreign exchange student that went to Marshall. You think there aren't some behind the scenes conversations taking place to get these players there?

BOYS SOCCER
Boyd County won the region this year thanks to their leading scorer who moved from Missouri. He even has a small brother who scored the winning goal in the region championship game. Their dad just happened to be an assistant coach on the Boyd County soccer team. You think dad just magically popped up on the staff without having talked to someone first after moving from Missouri? In 2018, a player from Norway caused Boyd to win the region in soccer.

GIRLS SOCCER
East Carter won the region for the second year in a row thanks to their top player moving from Lawrence County 2 years ago. I don't have time to do the research on the KHSAA site, but these are probably the only regions East Carter has EVER won in girls soccer. You think that girl just enrolled there blindly without some travel ball connection or talking to some coaches first?

VOLLEYBALL
Boyd won their second region in a row thanks to their top player moving from New Jersey last year.
She's the daughter of one of the Marshall football coaches who moved to town when Doc was shown the door. The Boyd AD coincidentally has good connections to the college since his daughter played there. Boyd last won a volleyball region in 2003 before this girl showed up. You think the family chose Boyd when moving to town because of their rich tradition in volleyball?

BOYS BASKETBALL
As you know, Baller, Ashland has won 4 years in a row. Three of those years, their top player was from Elliott County. Two of those years, they had a starter from Greenup County. The Elliott player chose Ashland, much like the Fairland player chose Boyd for his senior season in 2018 and led them to a region title.

GIRLS BASKETBALL
The same volleyball player mentioned above played point guard for their region title winning team this season. They would not have won without her. This follows a decade of West Virginia Thunder AAU players, an organization to which the Boyd AD coincidentally has close ties to ever since his daughter played there, magically showing up at Boyd to help them win region titles.

BASEBALL
Boyd finally won the region title this season with no obvious recruits that I know of. However, Russell baseball seems to currently serve as the minor league system for Boyd as they take their best players on nearly a yearly basis now.

SOFTBALL
I look at this as an individual sport like tennis, golf, archery, or wrestling since teams win this sport with literally one player, the pitcher. Lewis County has had the pitcher the past couple of seasons so they've won. East Carter had the pitcher before them so they won a bunch in a row.

Come on, Baller. Some intellectual honesty is all I'm looking for here. The ONLY difference in the Jason Mays story from these other programs and coaches is that he ran into a lunatic father who was intoxicated by a bunch of old kids he coached in middle school "obliterating" teams only to run into one of the best well-oiled machines in 16th region history that Mays had going. It was too much for him to watch his own team get "obliterated" so he blamed Rheyce Deboard. He even said in the call that Boyd's better with Griffin Taylor rather than Rheyce Deboard. We saw with our own eyes how that turned out in round 1. That comparison is about as ludicrous as whoever paid D&D Sports to compare the guy's son to OJ Mayo. There's some ridiculous stuff going on. Just see it for what it is, Baller. No hands are clean in these matters.
(12-16-2022, 10:12 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: I’ll clarify something I earlier posted. The so-called “recruiting” that is constantly mentioned here in transfers throughout the state, the conversation is nearly always originated through the parents or guardians. Now, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the coach they speak to, it could be someone on the coaching staff or a booster, but the transferring party are the first ones to act. Technically, and subsequently, if they are drawn into a conversation with the parents, as happened with Mays, that is considered a recruiting violation by KHSAA standards.
Sorry, no it isn't a "technicality".  There was a coordinated scheme to cover up and recruit against KHSAA bylaws.  This was not a casual, "hey my friend is friends with your son maybe they can play together".  The school, team, affiliates, sponsors, and potential sponsors were marketed and promoted to recruit kids by the coaching staff itself.  Once recruited and during the recruiting process the coaching staff provided guidance to bypass KHSAA requirements. The coaching staff aggressively went after top talent, not a random close friend of kid currently on team (as if that matters).  The team went from being an ordinary up and down 16th region high school basketball team to a continuous 16th region powerhouse not because the program was able to develop players but because they were able to bring in players. I'll say it again and hopefully you can understand it this time. If other teams are allowed to recruit in the same manner, then there would be several teams in the 16th region that have parity with Ashland over these years.  Other teams would hire recruiters instead of x and o coaches or development coaches. Ashland chose to hire an ex-college coach where teams live and die by recruiting.  They are still reaping the benefits of these actions, but they do have the highest ranked team in the 16th region.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SocratesKy's post:
  • 16thregioner
(12-16-2022, 10:53 AM)SocratesKy Wrote: Sorry, no it isn't a "technicality".  There was a coordinated scheme to cover up and recruit against KHSAA bylaws.  This was not a casual, "hey my friend is friends with your son maybe they can play together".  The school, team, affiliates, sponsors, and potential sponsors were marketed and promoted to recruit kids by the coaching staff itself.  Once recruited and during the recruiting process the coaching staff provided guidance to bypass KHSAA requirements. The coaching staff aggressively went after top talent, not a random close friend of kid currently on team (as if that matters).  The team went from being an ordinary up and down 16th region high school basketball team to a continuous 16th region powerhouse not because the program was able to develop players but because they were able to bring in players. I'll say it again and hopefully you can understand it this time. If other teams are allowed to recruit in the same manner, then there would be several teams in the 16th region that have parity with Ashland over these years.  Other teams would hire recruiters instead of x and o coaches or development coaches. Ashland chose to hire an ex-college coach where teams live and die by recruiting.  They are still reaping the benefits of these actions, but they do have the highest ranked team in the 16th region.

I agree with you to some degree here.  Most of these schools that start winning every year bring in talent.  Usually, the talent they bring in is combined with some pretty good homegrown talent as well.

Look at Fairview football back around 2010.  They brought in King and Rutherford from Huntington, but they also had homegrown Brewer and Turner to combine them with.

Look at Boyd girls basketball in the last decade.  They brought in the Shears' twins and Paynter, but they also had homegrown talent in Wheeler and the Borders' to combine them with.

Same goes for Ashland boys basketball.  They brought in Porter and Carter, but Villers and Sellars were pretty good homegrown talent.

Now Rose Hill basketball back in the OJ days just brought the entire team, something Holy Family will probably be doing soon.

The formula has been applied many times.  It works.  And usually it ends with someone getting too greedy and finally going bust.
(12-16-2022, 10:52 AM)16thregioner Wrote: Baller, you must have either been living under a rock for the past decade or you are the most personally offended parent of ALL-TIME from his son not getting playing time at Ashland.  This is going on in ALL sports EVERYWHERE winning is taking place across the 16th region.

FOOTBALL
Best team in the area was Raceland.  Their QB was from Russell, even saving Red Devil alumni from a burning house in his neighborhood on his way to school.  Leading receiver was from Russell.  3 of top 6 tacklers were from Symmes Valley, Ironton, and Russell.  Raceland has NEVER won a state title.  They've never even placed a kid in a D-1 college that I know of except for a kicker a couple decades ago and the big Swedish foreign exchange student that went to Marshall.  You think there aren't some behind the scenes conversations taking place to get these players there?

BOYS SOCCER
Boyd County won the region this year thanks to their leading scorer who moved from Missouri.  He even has a small brother who scored the winning goal in the region championship game.  Their dad just happened to be an assistant coach on the Boyd County soccer team.  You think dad just magically popped up on the staff without having talked to someone first after moving from Missouri?  In 2018, a player from Norway caused Boyd to win the region in soccer.

GIRLS SOCCER
East Carter won the region for the second year in a row thanks to their top player moving from Lawrence County 2 years ago.  I don't have time to do the research on the KHSAA site, but these are probably the only regions East Carter has EVER won in girls soccer.  You think that girl just enrolled there blindly without some travel ball connection or talking to some coaches first?

VOLLEYBALL
Boyd won their second region in a row thanks to their top player moving from New Jersey last year.
She's the daughter of one of the Marshall football coaches who moved to town when Doc was shown the door.  The Boyd AD coincidentally has good connections to the college since his daughter played there.  Boyd last won a volleyball region in 2003 before this girl showed up.  You think the family chose Boyd when moving to town because of their rich tradition in volleyball?

BOYS BASKETBALL
As you know, Baller, Ashland has won 4 years in a row.  Three of those years, their top player was from Elliott County.  Two of those years, they had a starter from Greenup County.  The Elliott player chose Ashland, much like the Fairland player chose Boyd for his senior season in 2018 and led them to a region title.

GIRLS BASKETBALL
The same volleyball player mentioned above played point guard for their region title winning team this season.  They would not have won without her.  This follows a decade of West Virginia Thunder AAU players, an organization to which the Boyd AD coincidentally has close ties to ever since his daughter played there, magically showing up at Boyd to help them win region titles.

BASEBALL
Boyd finally won the region title this season with no obvious recruits that I know of.  However, Russell baseball seems to currently serve as the minor league system for Boyd as they take their best players on nearly a yearly basis now.

SOFTBALL
I look at this as an individual sport like tennis, golf, archery, or wrestling since teams win this sport with literally one player, the pitcher.  Lewis County has had the pitcher the past couple of seasons so they've won.  East Carter had the pitcher before them so they won a bunch in a row.

Come on, Baller.  Some intellectual honesty is all I'm looking for here.  The ONLY difference in the Jason Mays story from these other programs and coaches is that he ran into a lunatic father who was intoxicated by a bunch of old kids he coached in middle school "obliterating" teams only to run into one of the best well-oiled machines in 16th region history that Mays had going.  It was too much for him to watch his own team get "obliterated" so he blamed Rheyce Deboard.  He even said in the call that Boyd's better with Griffin Taylor rather than Rheyce Deboard.  We saw with our own eyes how that turned out in round 1.  That comparison is about as ludicrous as whoever paid D&D Sports to compare the guy's son to OJ Mayo.  There's some ridiculous stuff going on.  Just see it for what it is, Baller.  No hands are clean in these matters.
Regioner you same the same old thing when you debate this subject of Jason Mays and the recruitment of 16th region kids. Why don’t you use some intelligence when you talk on the behalf of Mays. You again talk about everyone does it theory. That’s a criminal way of thinking. You and Look continue justify this man’s actions. That is pathetic and embarrassing honestly. You are more part of the problem then a solution. Again, for the love of God. Mays was caught red handed recruiting numerous kids. Not just one. That’s what got him fired. He probably set the program back if Khsaa hands down sanctions. Again for the record. If anyone gets caught cheating aka recruiting. Then they need to get sanctioned regardless if it’s Raceland EC BC Ashland, Russell.  It doesn’t matter who they are. You do realize Mays agreed in the audio on Deboard. Liked him at the two better. Mays tape.  Use all the subject matter not on to spin your narrative. I took me a minute but I did find the article on d&d. Again don’t lie. During a aau in Cincinnati, there hadn’t been a buzz about an 8th grader since OJ Mayo. Do more research instead of bashing other kids. Like I have always said. You are a chip of the ol Mays block.
(12-16-2022, 10:52 AM)16thregioner Wrote: Baller, you must have either been living under a rock for the past decade or you are the most personally offended parent of ALL-TIME from his son not getting playing time at Ashland.  This is going on in ALL sports EVERYWHERE winning is taking place across the 16th region.

FOOTBALL
Best team in the area was Raceland.  Their QB was from Russell, even saving Red Devil alumni from a burning house in his neighborhood on his way to school.  Leading receiver was from Russell.  3 of top 6 tacklers were from Symmes Valley, Ironton, and Russell.  Raceland has NEVER won a state title.  They've never even placed a kid in a D-1 college that I know of except for a kicker a couple decades ago and the big Swedish foreign exchange student that went to Marshall.  You think there aren't some behind the scenes conversations taking place to get these players there?

BOYS SOCCER
Boyd County won the region this year thanks to their leading scorer who moved from Missouri.  He even has a small brother who scored the winning goal in the region championship game.  Their dad just happened to be an assistant coach on the Boyd County soccer team.  You think dad just magically popped up on the staff without having talked to someone first after moving from Missouri?  In 2018, a player from Norway caused Boyd to win the region in soccer.

GIRLS SOCCER
East Carter won the region for the second year in a row thanks to their top player moving from Lawrence County 2 years ago.  I don't have time to do the research on the KHSAA site, but these are probably the only regions East Carter has EVER won in girls soccer.  You think that girl just enrolled there blindly without some travel ball connection or talking to some coaches first?

VOLLEYBALL
She's the daughter of one of the Marshall football coaches who moved to town when Doc was shown the door.  The Boyd AD coincidentally has good connections to the college since his daughter played there.  Boyd last won a volleyball region in 2003 before this girl showed up.  You think the family chose Boyd when moving to town because of their rich tradition in volleyball?

BOYS BASKETBALL
As you know, Baller, Ashland has won 4 years in a row.  Three of those years, their top player was from Elliott County.  Two of those years, they had a starter from Greenup County.  The Elliott player chose Ashland, much like the Fairland player chose Boyd for his senior season in 2018 and led them to a region title.

GIRLS BASKETBALL
The same volleyball player mentioned above played point guard for their region title winning team this season.  They would not have won without her.  This follows a decade of West Virginia Thunder AAU players, an organization to which the Boyd AD coincidentally has close ties to ever since his daughter played there, magically showing up at Boyd to help them win region titles.

BASEBALL
Boyd finally won the region title this season with no obvious recruits that I know of.  However, Russell baseball seems to currently serve as the minor league system for Boyd as they take their best players on nearly a yearly basis now.

SOFTBALL
I look at this as an individual sport like tennis, golf, archery, or wrestling since teams win this sport with literally one player, the pitcher.  Lewis County has had the pitcher the past couple of seasons so they've won.  East Carter had the pitcher before them so they won a bunch in a row.

Come on, Baller.  Some intellectual honesty is all I'm looking for here.  The ONLY difference in the Jason Mays story from these other programs and coaches is that he ran into a lunatic father who was intoxicated by a bunch of old kids he coached in middle school "obliterating" teams only to run into one of the best well-oiled machines in 16th region history that Mays had going.  It was too much for him to watch his own team get "obliterated" so he blamed Rheyce Deboard.  He even said in the call that Boyd's better with Griffin Taylor rather than Rheyce Deboard.  We saw with our own eyes how that turned out in round 1.  That comparison is about as ludicrous as whoever paid D&D Sports to compare the guy's son to OJ Mayo.  There's some ridiculous stuff going on.  Just see it for what it is, Baller.  No hands are clean in these matters.
Yes.  It happens everywhere, only think that don’t happen is lunatic dad recording a phone call. I’ve been told multiple times the kid from Ohio that ended up at Boyd was turned away at Ashland because of legal problems at Fairland. Also a kid from Raceland played his senior season there. People tend to forget those things about the county. But people want to destroy Ashland because they’re the best team in the 16th and Jason Mays worked his butt off to prepare those kids for dominance in the 16th region and people didn’t like that or his work ethics.  People only see what fits their narrative.  The problem with High School sports is parents.  Go ask Coach A after Tuesday game.