Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland @ Boyd County 12/13
I figured this game deserves it's own thread as it's the biggest regular season game in the 16th region since perhaps the OJ Mayo days.  What makes this game interesting?  Well, here you go...

Ashland has beaten Boyd County 12 straight times.  That was all under Coach Jason Mays, though.  Mays was fired right before the season due to a secretly recorded and released phone call made by Jerry Spurlock, father of Boyd County's top player Jacob Spurlock, who ironically has been compared by D&D Sports to the next OJ Mayo.  Spurlock's Lions with the class of Cole Hicks, Griffin Taylor, and his son, were successful in their middle school days, regularly crushing teams according to Spurlock on the call.  Their first venture into varsity basketball wasn't as successful as they lost by 18, 26, 19, and 32 to the Ashland Tomcats.  Exit Jason Mays as Spurlock caught Mays on recording espousing why Ashland would be good a fit for his son.

Ironically, Spurlock blamed the lack of success of his young group on current Russell-to-Boyd-to-Ashland transfer point guard Rheyce Deboard, calling him a "cancer" on the call and admitting he confronted him during open gyms to tell him what he was doing wrong last season, as well as Boyd County Coach Randy Anderson, who he claimed played the wrong players.

Even with Mays, this Ashland team was going to be very different as they lost 3 all-timers in Colin Porter, Cole Villers, and Ethan Sellars.  Homegrown coach Ryan Bonner has taken over and it's his job to keep the Tomcat success going.  He's 2-2 out of the gate with wins over Ironton St. Joe and Fairview and losses to Great Crossing and GRC.  You can't glean much from these games as Ashland should have beaten the teams they beat and even Jason Mays would have had trouble with the defending state champs GRC who returned 4 of their main players.  However, from watching the Tomcats play, it's a very different style as they seem to be relying more on 1-on-1 play from Zander Carter and Rheyce Deboard than the beautiful ball movement of the Jason Mays days.  Sharpshooter Tucker Conway hasn't gotten great looks so far and Ashland seems to be searching for who the other players might be who will help the Tomcats win.  It's showing in the stats as the 3-point percentages of this season's Tomcats are pretty bad, something that was never said under Coach Jason Mays.

Boyd County is out of the gate like gangbusters, though, at 4-0 as no team has come within single digits of the Lions.  Spurlock is shooting 43% from 3-point land and Cole Hicks is shooting 38%.  They had an impressive 10 point win over Pikeville, but keep in mind Pikeville only returned 2 of the guys who were playing in last season's state tournament.  In any case, though, Spurlock and Hicks are to the Lions what Carter and Deboard are to the Tomcats, only they're making more shots at this point.  Jason Ellis as a 3rd option seems to trump any 3rd option that Ashland has as well.

On paper, I'd say Boyd's odds of winning are much better than the odds we see Jason Mays walk through the doors of the Boyd County gym on Tuesday night.  Some might say it's just another game, but there's no shying away from the fact that the off-season shenanigans have turned this game into a reality show episode.  This is an important game for both teams because the result could end up in either the team coming together or fracturing apart...and that goes for both sides.

Prediction: Boyd County 75 Ashland 63
Im setting the Over/Under on ejections (player, coach, fans) at 2.
(12-11-2022, 01:38 PM)Fanman Wrote: Im setting the Over/Under on ejections (player, coach, fans) at 2.
That spread will rise!!!
Ball movement isn’t happening. Sticks in the hands of couple kids. Watching yesterday 4 kids standing and watching one player go one on one. Even when a pass is made it’s no a good one. Player leaving his feet and the decision is made. Dribbling the air out it. The style is the same. The faces has changed. Villers, sellars, and Porter are hard to replace.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregionballer's post:
  • 16thregioner
(12-11-2022, 03:06 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Ball movement isn’t happening. Sticks in the hands of couple kids. Watching yesterday 4 kids standing and watching one player go one on one. Even when a pass is made it’s no a good one.  Player leaving his feet and the decision is made.  Dribbling the air out it. The style is the same. The faces has changed. Villers, sellars, and Porter are hard to replace.

Glad to see we agree on something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • 16thregionballer
GRC killed Ashland in transition by running out constantly. Ashland players wouldn't get back on defense. One in particular (whom I will not name) b/c he was getting frustrated. Not saying Boyd has the horses GRC does, but I would definitely attack them there if I were Boyd.
I just hope the emoitons of this game can be kept in check. I think both teams are at the top of the region. Hopefully this game will be able the play on the court and not all the extra crap off the court.
(12-12-2022, 01:45 PM)The_Messenger Wrote: I just hope the emoitons of this game can be kept in check. I think both teams are at the top of the region. Hopefully this game will be able the play on the court and not all the extra crap off the court.
It’s going to be must see!!!!!
I'm guessing 2 single technicals and a double technical tonight
This game currently looks like Pikeville/Raceland. Boyd has the guys to keep up with Ashland, but they have been out coached before the game even started.
I think that makes 13 straight
Ashland gained control of this game and led by 10 at halftime, and had a 22 point lead at one time in the second half before substituting in the 4th.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Ky1976
Well, Spurlock got rid of Mays. Randy Anderson is likely his next target. Was I ever wrong about this one. Utter domination by the Tomcats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(12-13-2022, 11:19 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Well, Spurlock got rid of Mays.  Randy Anderson is likely his next target.  Was I ever wrong about this one.  Utter domination by the Tomcats.
Randy was his and Taylor’s first choice always.
I wonder which is the most embarrassed tonight Jerry or Randy.
(12-11-2022, 11:24 AM)16thregioner Wrote: I figured this game deserves it's own thread as it's the biggest regular season game in the 16th region since perhaps the OJ Mayo days.  What makes this game interesting?  Well, here you go...

Ashland has beaten Boyd County 12 straight times.  That was all under Coach Jason Mays, though.  Mays was fired right before the season due to a secretly recorded and released phone call made by Jerry Spurlock, father of Boyd County's top player Jacob Spurlock, who ironically has been compared by D&D Sports to the next OJ Mayo.  Spurlock's Lions with the class of Cole Hicks, Griffin Taylor, and his son, were successful in their middle school days, regularly crushing teams according to Spurlock on the call.  Their first venture into varsity basketball wasn't as successful as they lost by 18, 26, 19, and 32 to the Ashland Tomcats.  Exit Jason Mays as Spurlock caught Mays on recording espousing why Ashland would be good a fit for his son.

Ironically, Spurlock blamed the lack of success of his young group on current Russell-to-Boyd-to-Ashland transfer point guard Rheyce Deboard, calling him a "cancer" on the call and admitting he confronted him during open gyms to tell him what he was doing wrong last season, as well as Boyd County Coach Randy Anderson, who he claimed played the wrong players.

Even with Mays, this Ashland team was going to be very different as they lost 3 all-timers in Colin Porter, Cole Villers, and Ethan Sellars.  Homegrown coach Ryan Bonner has taken over and it's his job to keep the Tomcat success going.  He's 2-2 out of the gate with wins over Ironton St. Joe and Fairview and losses to Great Crossing and GRC.  You can't glean much from these games as Ashland should have beaten the teams they beat and even Jason Mays would have had trouble with the defending state champs GRC who returned 4 of their main players.  However, from watching the Tomcats play, it's a very different style as they seem to be relying more on 1-on-1 play from Zander Carter and Rheyce Deboard than the beautiful ball movement of the Jason Mays days.  Sharpshooter Tucker Conway hasn't gotten great looks so far and Ashland seems to be searching for who the other players might be who will help the Tomcats win.  It's showing in the stats as the 3-point percentages of this season's Tomcats are pretty bad, something that was never said under Coach Jason Mays.

Boyd County is out of the gate like gangbusters, though, at 4-0 as no team has come within single digits of the Lions.  Spurlock is shooting 43% from 3-point land and Cole Hicks is shooting 38%.  They had an impressive 10 point win over Pikeville, but keep in mind Pikeville only returned 2 of the guys who were playing in last season's state tournament.  In any case, though, Spurlock and Hicks are to the Lions what Carter and Deboard are to the Tomcats, only they're making more shots at this point.  Jason Ellis as a 3rd option seems to trump any 3rd option that Ashland has as well.

On paper, I'd say Boyd's odds of winning are much better than the odds we see Jason Mays walk through the doors of the Boyd County gym on Tuesday night.  Some might say it's just another game, but there's no shying away from the fact that the off-season shenanigans have turned this game into a reality show episode.  This is an important game for both teams because the result could end up in either the team coming together or fracturing apart...and that goes for both sides.

Prediction: Boyd County 75 Ashland 63
Compared to oj Mayo come on now d&d. How much money they sending you?
[-] The following 1 user Likes fan_14's post:
  • Ky1976
(12-13-2022, 10:40 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: This game currently looks like Pikeville/Raceland. Boyd has the guys to keep up with Ashland, but they have been out coached before the game even started.

lol
It appears parity is on its way back in the 16th region. It is evident that Ashland is not the team they have been the past few years. Don't get me wrong, they are a really good 16th region team (currently the best) but it is evident they are very beatable in this region/district whereas the last few years we all knew it wasn't happening.
(12-14-2022, 11:24 AM)SocratesKy Wrote: It appears parity is on its way back in the 16th region. It is evident that Ashland is not the team they have been the past few years. Don't get me wrong, they are a really good 16th region team (currently the best) but it is evident they are very beatable in this region/district whereas the last few years we all knew it wasn't happening.
They sure are not the same team they’ve been the last 3 years.  No where close.  With that being said neither is Boyd and the region keeps getting worse.  East beat Lewis by 25 at Lewis. Raceland beat Fairview by 3 and Morgan beat Elliott by 40.  Bath beat Fleming by 1 in OT at bath.  Russell beat a bad west Carter team by 15 at home.  So Ashland will continue to be the most prepared team in the region and they continue to show how much better the coaching is at Ashland. Ask Spurlock and Taylor.  Lol
I agree with the part that the 16th Region is not as good as past years. Unfortunately some of the historically better programs are on a down cycle.

I still believe Ashland and Boyd are the best two teams in the Region. But give Ashland credit they definitely made a statement.

From the outside looking in and this is just my opinion, I think the culture surrounding Ashland athletics is just better other everybody else in the Region. Of course boys basketball is the marquee sport but all their sports are pretty good. School leaders and community leaders understand the importance extra-curricular play in the “Overall” education of students and they make it a priority. They have found a great balance between academics and athletes and excellence is expected in both.

I figure these two teams will battle three more times this year so we will see how those games go! Good luck to both teams.
(12-14-2022, 01:14 PM)The_Messenger Wrote: I agree with the part that the 16th Region is not as good as past years. Unfortunately some of the historically better programs are on a down cycle. 

I still believe Ashland and Boyd are the best two teams in the Region. But give Ashland credit they definitely made a statement.

From the outside looking in and this is just my opinion, I think the culture surrounding Ashland athletics is just better other everybody else in the Region. Of course boys basketball is the marquee sport but all their sports are pretty good. School leaders and community leaders understand the importance extra-curricular play in the “Overall” education of students and they make it a priority. They have found a great balance between academics and athletes and excellence is expected in both.

I figure these two teams will battle three more times this year so we will see how those games go!  Good luck to both teams.
I totally agree.  Ashland is the gold standard of the 16th. And Boyd is the little brother.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ky1976's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(12-14-2022, 01:14 PM)The_Messenger Wrote: I agree with the part that the 16th Region is not as good as past years. Unfortunately some of the historically better programs are on a down cycle. 

I figure these two teams will battle three more times this year so we will see how those games go!  Good luck to both teams.

Ashland and Boyd are the two top teams in the region, with Ashland being the number 1 team at this time with the win last night. I'm a little unclear on the Ashland culture being better than everyone else?  Ashland has had better players as a result of recruiting.  I'm not for or against Ashland but that is a culture of, for lack of better words, cheating.  That's a culture that lacks integrity.  If Ashland's "cheating" culture has changed then they will be forced to improve in house talent.  If their culture shifts to do so and they achieve the same level of success, then by all means they would have the best culture.   Until then, that is a ridiculous statement.  It appears Ashland is still playing with recruited players, but yes they are currently the best team in the region after last night.
As I stated "This is just my opinion" so you have your opinion and I have mine. I have no dog in the Boyd/Ashland rival so my opinion is based off what I see. To say "That is a ridiculous statement" is an indictment on you not me. I said "Ashland Athletics" .... I did not say Ashland Basketball. Once again somebody wanting to paint their own narrative instead of reading the facts. They win state championships in football, are solid in girls basketball, volleyball, etc. That is a culture of excellence not just one sport.

Yes ... the prior coach was unethical and cheated. That is my opinion based on the audio recording "I" listened to. And Yes .... Ashland is still benefitting from the players that transferred in. You would think they were recruited as well but we will never know. So I will say the past three years' success can be contributed to the players that transferred in. But that doesn't explain the success of other sports, other extra-curriculars, academics, etc. That doesn't explain why Ashland is the winningest boys basketball program in state of Kentucky. They were the winningest program prior to the transfers so they must of had some type of winning culture prior to the previous coach.

With all that said if I had kids that were a skilled athletes and high functioning academically, I would want them to attend Ashland. It is a great school district. But again ..... that is just my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The_Messenger's post:
  • i82much
(12-14-2022, 01:51 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

Ashland and Boyd are the two top teams in the region, with Ashland being the number 1 team at this time with the win last night. I'm a little unclear on the Ashland culture being better than everyone else?  Ashland has had better players as a result of recruiting.  I'm not for or against Ashland but that is a culture of, for lack of better words, cheating.  That's a culture that lacks integrity.  If Ashland's "cheating" culture has changed then they will be forced to improve in house talent.  If their culture shifts to do so and they achieve the same level of success, then by all means they would have the best culture.   Until then, that is a ridiculous statement.  It appears Ashland is still playing with recruited players, but yes they are currently the best team in the region after last night.

Everyone has an opinion, agreed. So I'll explain further. My opinion of any culture whether it be a business or athletic program, team, or franchise begins with integrity. Cheating is the opposite of integrity.  The basketball program at Ashland has culture of cheating.  The recording indicates that current players were recruited, there is no question about that to a reasonable 3rd party. If a person or program values integrity as significant to a program's culture in the same manner then it would be a ridiculous statement to statement to say "Ashland's culture is better than everyone else".  Your opinion of "the best culture" may only consider winning and that would be your opinion but you would be with little company. I am strictly talking about Ashland's basketball program since that is the purpose of this thread and forum.  

That being said, currently Ashland should be the top ranked team in the region at this point.
Hats off to Coach Bonner, he had his team ready to play...they were getting after it. And he kept them poised and disciplined. On the flip side, I think its about time to turn the page on Coach Anderson and his staff. He gets highly respected b/c he is a great man, but not so sure about his coaching ability. Boyd is way too talented to be blown off the floor like that. And watching their "offense" is painful sometimes. Like watching a pick up game. Sorry, not sorry.
Looked even at the end of the 1st. Tied game. Foul trouble for both side in the second qtr. up 10 at the half. Third qtr was huge in pushing the lead. Great atmosphere for a game in the 16th region. Congratulations on Bonner’s first rival win. A lot of people talking in the stands about stigma on the program. I’m time. No one will remember Mays and what he created for the program. It’s in good hands with Ryan! Class act
Couldn’t agree more. Bonner is a class act!
(12-14-2022, 10:07 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Looked even at the end of the 1st. Tied game. Foul trouble for both side in the second qtr. up 10 at the half. Third qtr was huge in pushing the lead. Great atmosphere for a game in the 16th region. Congratulations on Bonner’s first rival win. A lot of people talking in the stands about stigma on the program. I’m time. No one will remember Mays and what he created for the program. It’s in good hands with Ryan!  Class act
Nobody will forget about the recruiting scandal until all of the recruits have been declared ineligible, graduate, or transfer.  Each win will bring about how the opposing team would not have lost had they not recruited this player or that player, or if we could recruit like they did we would have comparable or better players because we would have hired a recruiter instead of an x and o coach or a development coach.  Again every win with recruits will with an asterisk until the program is clean.
(12-14-2022, 11:23 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(12-14-2022, 10:07 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: Looked even at the end of the 1st. Tied game. Foul trouble for both side in the second qtr. up 10 at the half. Third qtr was huge in pushing the lead. Great atmosphere for a game in the 16th region. Congratulations on Bonner’s first rival win. A lot of people talking in the stands about stigma on the program. I’m time. No one will remember Mays and what he created for the program. It’s in good hands with Ryan!  Class act
Nobody will forget about the recruiting scandal until all of the recruits have been declared ineligible, graduate, or transfer.  Each win will bring about how the opposing team would not have lost had they not recruited this player or that player, or if we could recruit like they did we would have comparable or better players because we would have hired a recruiter instead of an x and o coach or a development coach.  Again every win with recruits will with an asterisk until the program is clean.
I agree. It is stain on the program. Coach will move on and we are left holding the bag. You know I have not condoned what he did. I see why 16th region teams are upset. I would be as well. We have recruited kids. He was busted. We are still waiting to see what the khsaa is going to do as well. That also is hanging over the head of the team/coaches/school.  Regardless, it was a great basketball atmosphere last night.
This is untrue.  

Deboard was the game’s high scorer and high assist guy.  MVP of the game.  Boyd County did not want him on their team this season.  Listen to the call as 16thregionballer often requests.  He was bullied out the door and not even allowed back into the Boyd County homecoming dance this year.  Deboard isn’t a Jason Mays recruit.  He’s a player Spurlock wanted gone and he got his way.

Zander Carter came to Ashland before his freshman year.  I don’t think his presence makes the program unclean.  Besides, that was about the worst performance he’s put on a basketball floor in his career as a Tomcat.  Gracious sakes, wait until he brings his A game against Boyd.

The Davis brothers were at Boyd.  Were they recruited to Ashland?  Their mom is the girls basketball coach at Ashland and was the all-time scorer until a few years ago.  Seems legit to me.

I’ve never heard of Conway, Freize, and Adkins playing anywhere else but Ashland.  

This was no superstar recruit-filled Tomcat team.  Maybe older kids beating the crap out of younger teams in middle school doesn’t necessarily equate to varsity success?  Or maybe Ellis shot it too much?Or maybe it’s Randy Anderson?  I don’t know.