Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lawrence County
70.00%
Boyd County
30.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County @ Boyd County 9/30
Lawrence County will travel to Boyd County this Friday. 

Lawrence County (4-1)
Aug 19, 22 Harrison County away (W) 36 - 0 
Sep 2, 22 Greenup County home (L) 14 - 17 
Sep 9, 22 Russell away (W) 50 - 10 
Sep 16, 22 Magoffin County away (W) 58 - 26 
Sep 23, 22 East Carter away (W) 42 - 26

Boyd County (4-2)
Aug 19, 22 South Point, OH away (W) 43 - 28 
Aug 26, 22 Ashland Blazer away (L) 8 - 22 
Sep 2, 22 Lewis County home (W) 42 - 6 
Sep 9, 22 Greenup County away (W) 29 - 21 
Sep 16, 22 Mason County home (L) 12 - 13 
Sep 23, 22 Harrison County home (W) 42 - 21

Series Per KHSAA
Oct 26, 2001 Lawrence County 51 Boyd County 28
Nov 1, 2002 Boyd County 41 Lawrence County 34
Oct 10, 2003 Lawrence County 48 Boyd County 6
Oct 8, 2004 Boyd County 39 Lawrence County 20
Oct 7, 2005 Lawrence County 29 Boyd County 27
Oct 6, 2006 Boyd County 36 Lawrence County 14
Sep 21, 2007 Lawrence County 29 Boyd County 26
Nov 9, 2007 Boyd County 19 Lawrence County 0 2007 Class 4A KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Sep 26, 2008 Boyd County 28 Lawrence County 13
Oct 23, 2009 Lawrence County 26 Boyd County 16
Oct 22, 2010 Lawrence County 52 Boyd County 14
Aug 23, 2013 Lawrence County 56 Boyd County 15
Aug 23, 2014 Lawrence County 47 Boyd County 25
Aug 21, 2015 Lawrence County 42 Boyd County 22
Aug 19, 2016 Boyd County 24 Lawrence County 20
Sep 6, 2019 Lawrence County 21 Boyd County 7
Oct 1, 2021 Lawrence County 35 Boyd County 14

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...686a656543

Thoughts?
Lawrence County
This game is at Boyd County. I saw in the stats that Collins played this week for the first time this season for Boyd. I assume they'll work him into a running back role as the games go on. Boyd had a bad loss to Ashland that looks like it may have been due to them just not being able to overcome the mentality of losing to a team now 19 times in a row. Other than that, Boyd has looked pretty solid.

I realize Lawrence is a good team, but I think Boyd is as well, particularly with Collins taking on a bigger role as the weeks progress. I predict Boyd gets it together this week and gets a close win over Lawrence.
This one going to be a good one.

Lawrence County 35
Boyd County 27
Dawgs by at least 2-3 scores.
Dawgs by 10
Lawrence County 35
Boyd County 14
Bulldogs physicality will prove to be the deciding factor in this one.
Interesting matchup with Collins playing. Like the Bulldogs’ D but penalties could hurt them.
They don’t have the penalties every game so I would assume coaches address that heavily this week and they’re ready to play on Friday.
I’m going with the lions at home.
These two teams seem to be pretty evenly matched and this should be a good game. Both teams have a stout running attack but Boyd has a solid passing attack as well. That balance on offense may give them the edge in this game.

Boyd 28
LC 21
There’s no way in this world that Boyd holds Lawrence to 21 points. I think the Bulldogs defense is legit, their secondary is very talented. They match up well against Boyd.
(09-25-2022, 08:08 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: There’s no way in this world that Boyd holds Lawrence to 21 points. I think the Bulldogs defense is legit, their secondary is very talented. They match up well against Boyd.
Greenup (a team that Boyd beat) was able to hold Lawrence County to 14 points so why is it so hard to believe that Boyd could hold them to 21? I agree this will be a good match up and it could go either way.
Did you watch the Lawrence/ Greenup game?
(09-25-2022, 09:08 PM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Did you watch the Lawrence/ Greenup game?
No I didn’t but I did watch Greenup play Raceland.  Greenup isn’t a bad team and that was the point that I was trying to make.  Judging from the scores from the games Greenup, Boyd, and Lawrence have had with each other they appear to be 3 teams that seem to be evenly matched.  Please don’t take my comments as being disrespectful but at this point in the season it doesn’t look like there is a clear favorite with Boyd and Lawrence and it should be a good game.
For sure, I wasn’t taking it in a disrespectful way. I think all 3 have had good seasons so far and should be a good game on Friday.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lcgrad2002's post:
  • Orange Blaze
I think LC’s corners could be vulnerable. Holbrook to Holbrook, 6’5 WR, could be successful.
I do not see BC having success running vs LC unless it is a QB scramble or draw. Maybe an RPO.
I also don’t see BC containing the LC rushing game. Ferguson and that O line are more than solid.
Doesn’t mean the Dawgs win, tho. Lions are very capable of winning this.
Great points
If nothing else, Boyd needs to make this game competitive because it's the only high school football we've got this Friday in northeastern Kentucky. Russell, Greenup, Raceland, Fairview, and East Carter all have open weeks this Friday. Ashland plays on Saturday this week.

It would be a great night for Boyd to host all of the JFL players across the region to show off their top notch facilities and high school. Kind of like the West Carter fan said it was Russell JFL Night at Raceland a couple weeks ago, Boyd could host the entire area JFL night this Friday. All youth football players from other schools in the region get in free. Their field, facilities, and school rival Raceland for best looking in the region.
The EC game wasn't as close as the score would indicate. EC scored on a kickoff return TD, a kickoff return to the red zone, and 2 short fields given up by LC in the kicking game. A couple of those drives were kept alive by dumb and/or questionable penalties against LC. EC had 33 (!!) yards rushing and 98 passing for the game. LC had 90 (!!) yards in penalties. Some of that was on LC, but the officials were horrendous.

The Greenup game, if not a fluke, was at least anomalous. It was homecoming week, they had a key injury, they put the ball on the ground at 2 key moments, and they clearly overlooked a good Greenup team. If nothing else, it was a wakeup call.

If LC plays mistake-free special teams and limits their unsportsmanlike conduct total to 1 (16th region refs gonna find something, guaranteed), I look for a 2-3 touchdown win over Boyd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gabby Johnson's post:
  • Brutus
(09-26-2022, 10:24 AM)Gabby Johnson Wrote: The EC game wasn't as close as the score would indicate.  EC scored on a kickoff return TD, a kickoff return to the red zone, and 2 short fields given up by LC in the kicking game.  A couple of those drives were kept alive by dumb and/or questionable penalties against LC.  EC had 33 (!!) yards rushing and 98 passing for the game.  LC had 90 (!!) yards in penalties. Some of that was on LC, but the officials were horrendous.

The Greenup game, if not a fluke, was at least anomalous.  It was homecoming week, they had a key injury, they put the ball on the ground at 2 key moments, and they clearly overlooked a good Greenup team.  If nothing else, it was a wakeup call. 

If LC plays mistake-free special teams and limits their unsportsmanlike conduct total to 1 (16th region refs gonna find something, guaranteed), I look for a 2-3 touchdown win over Boyd.
Why would you expect them to play a mistake free/limited penalties game, when they’ve been unable to play that way up to this point?   I’ve seen LC on three occasions so far……honestly, they’ve not been very impressive.   The loss to Greenup may be their best game to date.
The loss to Greenup was not LC's best game. To say otherwise is just stirring the pot. Lots of folks thought the LC/EC game would show who's legit and who's not. LC beat the living spit out of EC and now they're unimpressive.

Their kicking game had been solid until last Friday. I think they had 5 unsportsmanlike penalties Friday night. That's uncharacteristic, and at least partly due to poor officiating. I watched a Frederick Douglass hype video Friday afternoon where nearly every play would have resulted in an unsportsmanlike flag from a 16th region crew.

Josey, nobody here is predicting a Bulldog win over your Pirates. But LC can play.
(09-26-2022, 01:21 PM)Gabby Johnson Wrote: The loss to Greenup was not LC's best game.  To say otherwise is just stirring the pot.  Lots of folks thought the LC/EC game would show who's legit and who's not.  LC beat the living spit out of EC and now they're unimpressive. 

Their kicking game had been solid until last Friday.  I think they had 5 unsportsmanlike penalties Friday night.  That's uncharacteristic, and at least partly due to poor officiating.  I watched a Frederick Douglass hype video Friday afternoon where nearly every play would have resulted in an unsportsmanlike flag from a 16th region crew.

Josey, nobody here is predicting a Bulldog win over your Pirates.  But LC can play.
Believe me….not trying to stir the pot.  Just posting on what I’ve seen.  Didn’t say your were predicting a win over Belfry.  Heck….LC should be the favorite in that game.   Higher RPI, at home….and Belfry is in the middle of a rebuild/reload.  All I’m saying is that I’ve gotten the opportunity to watch LC in three games….live.   Played very uneven football. I’ve seen much better LC teams in the past.
LC is not perfect, but if you think the Greenup game was the best they’ve played this season, then I’m not sure what rational response to offer. The first half of that game was their worst half of football since the regular season Belfry game last year. The Greenup was their worst statistically, effort-wise, execution-wise — pretty much in every sense.
I’m ok with people not buying any hype on LC football, I remain a skeptic pretty much each week.
But saying something like that is just nonsensical.
Being realistic, I expect a true challenge from an amped, revenge and upset-minded Boyd team. Their schedule has been a tad light, but they have talent, some size, and will have support. On their current trajectory, I expect the Lions to mature this season and really bring it in ‘23.
Should be fun.
(09-26-2022, 03:13 PM)Brutus Wrote: LC is not perfect, but if you think the Greenup game was the best they’ve played this season, then I’m not sure what rational response to offer. The first half of that game was their worst half of football since the regular season Belfry game last year. The Greenup was their worst statistically, effort-wise, execution-wise — pretty much in every sense.
I’m ok with people not buying any hype on LC football, I remain a skeptic pretty much each week.
Being realistic, I expect a true challenge from an amped, revenge and upset-minded Boyd team. Their schedule has been a tad light, but they have talent, some size, and will have support. On their current trajectory, I expect the Lions to mature this season and really bring it in ‘23.
Should be fun.
To me that’s taking shots at your opponents in those games don’t you think those opponents had something to do with it being their worst statistic game? So they don’t get no credit to holding LC down or just that LC was just no playing with any effort? Sure sounds like a shot at the other teams to me. True if the effort isn’t there they definitely aren’t going to perform but even with that the other team still out played you and teams for some reason in some games comes out flat.
(09-26-2022, 03:13 PM)Brutus Wrote: LC is not perfect, but if you think the Greenup game was the best they’ve played this season, then I’m not sure what rational response to offer. The first half of that game was their worst half of football since the regular season Belfry game last year. The Greenup was their worst statistically, effort-wise, execution-wise — pretty much in every sense.
Should be fun.
Boyd’s schedule has been a “tad light”?   You’ve got two shared opponents with Harrison and Greenup.   When you just review the RPI numbers for both teams…Boyd’s opponents average .56071 RPI.   LC’s opponents average is .47282 RPI.   You want to talk about nonsensical.    Hmmm….

I still think the Greenup game is a closer indicator of what you have in the Bulldogs….than basing it on the East Carter or Russell game.    A competitive loss against a good team can certainly trump a win against inferior or much inferior ability.
Collins got ejected from last weeks game, so not sure if he will be allowed to play. Not sure how that works in football.
I believe if he was ejected then he’s out for the first half of next game.
I respect Greenup’s performance in that game and said so immediately after. But as I predicted before that game there were several reasons for a subpar effort and execution in that contest. Being acquainted with school and community culture helps. The LC program has only won their homecoming game twice in the last decade or so. There’s a good reason that has little to do with who the opposition might be.
Josey, I’ve seen every LC game this season as usual and Greenup is not the best team they’ve played yet. LC’s defense was subpar in that game. Offense was worse. Greenup played great. But I and I think every other LC supporter will be thrilled for a playoff rematch.
And if you’re gonna lean on KHSAA RPI to make a rational argument, II’ll just say bless your heart. Lol