Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Co Central 32 Breathitt Co 21
Final from Whitesburg.

Breathitt lead 21-7 at end of 1st but it was all Letcher afterwards.

Felt Breathitt didn't make any adjustments after having success with pass in 1st. Letcher adjusted felt Bobcat didn't make enough adjustments.
Breathitt didn't do anything on offense after 1st quarter.
After stopping Letcher on the 1 after the half they came out in wishbone and moved the ball
good out to about 25 yard line but then went back to spread. I would have liked to see them stick with that power running game that was the difference against Hazard. 
Gotta give credit to Letcher's coaching staff they came out and took Breathitt's best shot in the 1st quarter then made the proper adjustments and controlled game from then on.

#7 for Letcher is a special player he is fun to watch.
Letcher oline and little completely dominated this game. Breathitt was up 14-0 in first 5 minutes of game then Letcher out scored them 32-7 rest of the way.
(09-16-2022, 11:06 PM)Running wild 14 Wrote: Letcher oline and little completely dominated this game. Breathitt was up 14-0 in first 5 minutes of game then Letcher out scored them 32-7 rest of the way.
Totally agree. Breathitt could not do anything with Letcher running game.
(09-16-2022, 11:08 PM)wolfcat Wrote:
(09-16-2022, 11:06 PM)Running wild 14 Wrote: Letcher oline and little completely dominated this game. Breathitt was up 14-0 in first 5 minutes of game then Letcher out scored them 32-7 rest of the way.
Totally agree. Breathitt could not do anything with Letcher running game.
No worries Breathitt you will be in the 2A regional finals at least.  I'm a Middlesboro fan and we won't beat ya.  District and 2A is all that matters.  Breathitt will be fine when it matters
I shocked of how much more physical Letcher was tonight. Breathitts first 2 scored was busted coverage besides that they didn’t do much of anything.
Time for Breathitt to bring Holcomb back?
Coaching and play calling horrible that last 2 games. Players not motivated either. Something’s gotta give.
Sounds like a good one. Congratulations Letcher County !!!!
This was a huge win for Letcher. Letcher is so young and this should only give them confidence the rest of the way. That sophomore group could be special. 16 of 22 positions was played by sophomores most of the night. With only 5 seniors we knew we would take our lumps and get better as season progresses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Running wild 14's post:
  • LCC#1
(09-16-2022, 11:37 PM)Mountain Monster Wrote: Coaching and play calling horrible that last 2 games. Players not motivated either. Something’s gotta give.
Absolutely.
It seemed like Breathitt made zero adjustments on offense or defense. The spread clearly wasn't working after the 1st quarter so why stick with it. They showed the wishbone at start of 3rd after Letcher turned it over on Breathitt's 1 yard line. They moved the ball good then all of a sudden here comes in the spread personnel.  I would have stuck with the power running game which the o line of Breathitt does a whole lot better blocking than pass blocking. Plus it keeps the Letcher offense that was running circles around you off the field. 

To me Breathitt was out played, out hearted and out coached tonight.
(09-17-2022, 12:02 AM)Running wild 14 Wrote: This was a huge win for Letcher. Letcher is so young and this should only give them confidence the rest of the way. That sophomore group could be special. 16 of 22 positions was played by sophomores most of the night. With only 5 seniors we knew we would take our lumps and get better as season progresses.

It was a good win for sure, but I wouldn't call it huge. This was a 4a school playing a 2a which should win most of the time. If I am not mistaken this Breathitt team is very young as well and maybe even younger then Letcher. I know Breathitt starts a boatload of freshman/soph and I believe they only have 3 or so seniors on the roster. I could be wrong, but I think the QB who pretty much single handedly beat them is a Senior. That #7 QB and #8 were very talented and I think they are both seniors. It was good win for Letcher for sure and that QB is hard to handle when he gets in the open field, but I am not sure this game would have been close without him. He was a one man scoring machine and Breathitt just had no answer for him.
57-49 career coaching record at BHS. Been there 10 years. How much longer do you accept mediocrity?
Over half of Coach Moore’s coaching career was under state management which the program is just now coming back from if you ask most people. They had several years without a feeder program. People in Breathitt have to accept that the days of State championships aren’t going to happen like they did in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Student population is down, Class 2A is loaded with quality programs, and kids are just different now.
(09-17-2022, 01:17 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Over half of Coach Moore’s coaching career was under state management which the program is just now coming back from if you ask most people. They had several years without a feeder program. People in Breathitt have to accept that the days of State championships aren’t going to happen like they did in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Student population is down, Class 2A is loaded with quality programs, and kids are just different now.
I usually agree with your posts but my goodness, you can't blame state management forever can you? Breathitt's feeder program has been back in place for 8 years or so hasn't it? And are you saying only Breathitt kids are different now? No, I don't think Breathitt just just throw up their hands and say that's just how it is. They should correct whatever problems exist and try to improve, whatever that entails.
My statement about state management was based on the culture of Breathitt Football was broken by it. The Lumberjack program has started the process of rebuilding that culture. Breathitt has made great strides over the last few years and I think they will continue to improve for the next several years. Breathitt doesn’t recruit so they play with what they got which is a rare thing in high school sports today. I fully agree that things could be done differently at times but I also know it’s a lot easier to coach from the stands than on the sidelines. I don’t think Coach Moore could surround himself with a better staff if he tried. I think success is coming but it’s not going to happen over night.
I think Coach Moore does a pretty good job. He coached a masterful game against Hazard but these last 2 weeks have been a struggle. The handling of the clock and decisions made at end of PCC game were questionable.

Then tonight I felt he needed to make adjustments on both sides of ball after the 1st quarter. To not score for 3 quarters against a team that gave up over 50 the previous week is inexcusable.
This team has some talent on it and could have easily won these last 2 weeks. Make all excuses you want about state management, feeder programs, etc. that does not explain lack of adjustments and clock management. That is squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.
Another good start, which led to another disappointing finish. Breathitt hasn't shown that killer instinct over the past two weeks, like they did in the Hazard game. I don't know if it's where they are playing on the road, or if it has something to do with the offense they are running late in games. I agree with Wolfcat, I think they need to run out of the Wishbone a little more, especially in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Lean against that big offensive line, and wear down your opponent. Not only does that wear down the defense, but your defense feeds off of that as well. Breathitt is young and they are only going to get better, but they lost two games, in where they were very capable of winning. Hopefully, during the bye week, they get things straightened out and come out with their ears pinned back for the Middlesboro game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cat Daddy's post:
  • wolfcat
Breathitt used to recruit Perry County pretty hot and heavy back during their glory days. So please don’t think they don’t recruit. It’s just nobody wants to play their right now because they don’t have a serious shot of getting past week 12.
I don’t think that was true Duke boy. I was around the program back in the 90s and I don’t remember any Perry county players or anyone talking about recruiting back then. Can you elaborate a player or two that was recruited back then. I do remember a ball player Charlotte Sizemore transferring to hazard and winning them a championship and Kendal noble transferring to Perry central around 2000 but for the most part all of them glory teams as you guys call it was home grown country boys within the county.
(09-16-2022, 11:21 PM)HollerRat Wrote: Time for Breathitt to bring Holcomb back?

He ain’t coming back to that dumpster…They would have to show the money like Madison Central did.. AND that’s not happening..
Didn’t the Miller twins live in Perry County and play for Breathitt in the early 2000’s? Seems like they helped Holcomb win a state title and had great success on the hardwood as well.
Ah y’all remember a kid named Channing Fugate? Went to Robinson k-8. Other older brother or cousin was a Fugate who was a linemen and another one I think played QB. I can’t remember their first names.

Justin Lamb left Perry and went to BHS. He was Perry’s best receiver. Gave his dad a coaching job.

I guess you wouldn’t consider this time frame really Breathitts Glory Days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • Bluecat
I love the spread and seeing the ball air out, but it’s also nice seeing the power run out of the wishbone. If we can get consistent at the wishbone it’s only gonna open up the passing game even more. Only problem with the wishbone I see is idk if our line is strong enough to execute that against the upper level teams. I do think whether we run the spread or wishbone we need to break out of the huddle a little more than staying in the same formation for 5 plays in a row
(09-19-2022, 08:57 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Breathitt used to recruit Perry County pretty hot and heavy back during their glory days.  So please don’t think they don’t recruit.  It’s just nobody wants to play their right now because they don’t have a serious shot of getting past week 12.
During my playing days which was during the glory days we had 0 boys from Perry Co. We had a kicker from Wolfe Co and 2 brothers from Owsley that never saw varsity action. Not sure about post 2004 or so but from 1995-2004 I can't think of any guys from Perry.
We lost more boys to Hazard and Perry than we ever got from any county during that time frame.
Fugates built a house and drive-in and lived at Lost Creek, Breathitt County. Miller twins never played football. Lamb's mother worked for the school board.
(09-19-2022, 10:56 AM)BlackAndYellow Wrote: Didn’t the Miller twins live in Perry County and play for Breathitt in the early 2000’s?  Seems like they helped Holcomb win a state title and had great success on the hardwood as well.
The miller twins never contributed to football. If I am not mistaken they may have even been at Buckhorn that hear.
If they were at Breathitt in I know for a fact they didn't provide any assistance to the title.

(09-19-2022, 11:09 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Ah y’all remember a kid named Channing Fugate?  Went to Robinson k-8.    Other older brother or cousin was a Fugate who was a linemen and another one I think played QB.  I can’t remember their first names.   

Justin Lamb left Perry and went to BHS.  He was Perry’s best receiver.  Gave his dad a coaching job.

I guess you wouldn’t consider this time frame really Breathitts Glory Days.
No I wouldn't consider that glory days. Glory days are winning 42 in a row and winning 3 state titles in 7 years.
(09-17-2022, 10:16 AM)KySportsfan74 Wrote:
(09-17-2022, 12:02 AM)Running wild 14 Wrote: This was a huge win for Letcher. Letcher is so young and this should only give them confidence the rest of the way. That sophomore group could be special. 16 of 22 positions was played by sophomores most of the night. With only 5 seniors we knew we would take our lumps and get better as season progresses.
The QB was never touched on most o
It was a good win for sure, but I wouldn't call it huge. This was a 4a school playing a 2a which should win most of the time. If I am not mistaken this Breathitt team is very young as well and maybe even younger then Letcher. I know Breathitt starts a boatload of freshman/soph and I believe they only have 3 or so seniors on the roster. I could be wrong, but I think the QB who pretty much single handedly beat them is a Senior. That #7 QB and #8 were very talented and I think they are both seniors. It was good win for Letcher for sure and that QB is hard to handle when he gets in the open field, but I am not sure this game would have been close without him. He was a one man scoring machine and Breathitt just had no answer for him.
The QB was never touched on some of them long runs. The Oline is pretty dang good. This is 2 year with 2 different QBs that the quarterback run is unstoppable. Must not forget Carson Adam’s has almost ran for 1147 on 134 carries last year so this isn’t just a little thing. My biggest gripe is why Letcher didn’t play both in backfield last year. I hate the 4A should beat a 2a argument. Breathitt has more players than Letcher every season.
So no duke boy it doesn’t look like Perry’s boys were a big factor to the glory years. So you can take them duds Perry sent us back
Didn’t the parents of the QB adopt a kid from the detention center? Maybe they done it out of the goodness of their heart or could it have been due to the fact the kid ran a 4.2 40. Or are you all calling that kid a homegrown talent as well?
Lol Mtn Parkway. I think Perry beat Breathitt Fugate’s Sr year if I’m not mistaken so if you consider a first team all stater a dud that’s ok I guess.

Holler Rat, the Thomas kid is still close with the family today. Ahahahaha