Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonburg Football Team put on Probation
News out of the High School Football world that is not so positive...

The KHSAA has placed the Prestonsburg High School Football team on probation for two years and fined them more than six thousand dollars for recruiting violations involving a judge.

The order says that court of appeals judge and an assistant principal recruited two teens to Prestonsburg High School offering them a place to live, free dinners, and college scholarships.

The order says barber arranged for the boys to live on some of his property for free... Prestonsburg High School principals say they discovered the violations and turned them into the KHSAA.

Appeals court judge blamed for football recruiting violations at Prestonsburg High

By Michael Casagrande

HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

A Kentucky Court of Appeals judge is at the center of recruiting violations committed by the Prestonsburg High School football program that will cost the school more than $6,600.

David A. Barber, who also was an assistant football coach at Prestonsburg, violated Kentucky High School Athletic Association rules when he had contact with two football players from nearby Allen Central High School. Barber, who has been on the bench since 1999, is up for re-election in November.

The KHSAA fined the school $3,000 and placed it on probation for two years. Prestonsburg also had to pay $3,630.79 for investigation expenses.

According to a 12-page ruling dated May 17 that was sent to Prestonsburg High School from KHSAA Commissioner Brigid DeVries, Barber committed "serious violations" of its regulations against recruiting.

According to the ruling, Barber spoke to Allen Central players David Sloan and Ben Moore, who were interested in transferring to Prestonsburg. Although the two players made the initial contact at Barber's home, Barber was found in violation of the bylaw because he didn't immediately refer the two to the school principal.

Instead, Barber told Sloan and Moore that Prestonsburg "would love to have them," according to a letter Barber sent to the KHSAA.

In the letter Barber submitted Aug. 1, he said he accompanied Sloan and Moore to speak with Jerry Butcher, Prestonsburg's assistant principal and athletics director, the day after the players came to his home.

He also told the two students he assumed they were athletes and that he was "very familiar with the case law and KHSAA requirements concerning eligibility and transferring students."

Barber also broke the rules when he provided the two students with a house for rent even though they didn't need to establish residency in the town because Prestonsburg has an open enrollment policy.

According to the lease agreement, the father of one of the boys, Darrell Adkins, was supposed to work the equivalent of $300 a month at Barber's farm to cover the rent at the house. Adkins said he never paid the electricity bill on the farm house as required in the lease.

In a statement dated March 22, Barber said he was not trying to recruit Sloan and Moore. He said he was just a volunteer trying to answer questions.

In 2003, Prestonsburg was penalized by the KHSAA for allowing an ineligible student to participate in the football program. DeVries said there was a lack of institutional control at Prestonsburg, evident in the two violations in such a short time.

Prestonsburg principal Ted George said today that the school has until June 30 to file an appeal. The decision whether to appeal could come in the next few days, but George said he is considering only a challenge on the severity of the fine. The school admits it "unintentionally" broke the rules, he said.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
I don't think this shouyld be a big surprise. Don't forget about all the trouble that happened while they were at the so called camp in Blaine a few years ago.
Yea it talked a little bit about the incident from 2003.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would say their is alot more to the story that is not being told yet.
Did they get penalized any home games or suspensions to the coach staff?

What ever happen to Slone and Moore?
CatDawg Wrote:I don't think this shouyld be a big surprise. Don't forget about all the trouble that happened while they were at the so called camp in Blaine a few years ago.

Can you elaborate about the camp in Blaine, I've not familiar with that story?
Old School Wrote:Can you elaborate about the camp in Blaine, I've not familiar with that story?

A very bad hazing incident.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Batpuff Wrote:A very bad hazing incident.

Thanks for the info!
Slone and Moore are back at AC.And from a story in the Big Sandy News These two boys were not the only boys approched with this offer.These two boys were approched at Pro-fitness in P-Burg by Mr. Barber.
Batpuff Wrote:News out of the High School Football world that is not so positive...

The KHSAA has placed the Prestonsburg High School Football team on probation for two years and fined them more than six thousand dollars for recruiting violations involving a judge.

The order says that court of appeals judge and an assistant principal recruited two teens to Prestonsburg High School offering them a place to live, free dinners, and college scholarships.

The order says barber arranged for the boys to live on some of his property for free... Prestonsburg High School principals say they discovered the violations and turned them into the KHSAA.

Appeals court judge blamed for football recruiting violations at Prestonsburg High

By Michael Casagrande

HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER

A Kentucky Court of Appeals judge is at the center of recruiting violations committed by the Prestonsburg High School football program that will cost the school more than $6,600.

David A. Barber, who also was an assistant football coach at Prestonsburg, violated Kentucky High School Athletic Association rules when he had contact with two football players from nearby Allen Central High School. Barber, who has been on the bench since 1999, is up for re-election in November.

The KHSAA fined the school $3,000 and placed it on probation for two years. Prestonsburg also had to pay $3,630.79 for investigation expenses.

According to a 12-page ruling dated May 17 that was sent to Prestonsburg High School from KHSAA Commissioner Brigid DeVries, Barber committed "serious violations" of its regulations against recruiting.

According to the ruling, Barber spoke to Allen Central players David Sloan and Ben Moore, who were interested in transferring to Prestonsburg. Although the two players made the initial contact at Barber's home, Barber was found in violation of the bylaw because he didn't immediately refer the two to the school principal.

Instead, Barber told Sloan and Moore that Prestonsburg "would love to have them," according to a letter Barber sent to the KHSAA.

In the letter Barber submitted Aug. 1, he said he accompanied Sloan and Moore to speak with Jerry Butcher, Prestonsburg's assistant principal and athletics director, the day after the players came to his home.

He also told the two students he assumed they were athletes and that he was "very familiar with the case law and KHSAA requirements concerning eligibility and transferring students."

Barber also broke the rules when he provided the two students with a house for rent even though they didn't need to establish residency in the town because Prestonsburg has an open enrollment policy.

According to the lease agreement, the father of one of the boys, Darrell Adkins, was supposed to work the equivalent of $300 a month at Barber's farm to cover the rent at the house. Adkins said he never paid the electricity bill on the farm house as required in the lease.

In a statement dated March 22, Barber said he was not trying to recruit Sloan and Moore. He said he was just a volunteer trying to answer questions.

In 2003, Prestonsburg was penalized by the KHSAA for allowing an ineligible student to participate in the football program. DeVries said there was a lack of institutional control at Prestonsburg, evident in the two violations in such a short time.

Prestonsburg principal Ted George said today that the school has until June 30 to file an appeal. The decision whether to appeal could come in the next few days, but George said he is considering only a challenge on the severity of the fine. The school admits it "unintentionally" broke the rules, he said.
Probably not the first time this has happened, they just got caught this time. That being said, I am sure that other football programs have done simalar things in the past and are doing them as we speak and not getting caught.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

I expect this administration to clean house one of these years.
So what will they do? What does it mean to be put on probation? Can they still play and things just be investigated throughly and watched closley for the 2 years or what?
Normally when a team is put on probation they have to forfeit some games and are ineligible for playoffs. I hope this doesn't happen to them, but if it does I hope things get cleared up.
I would be so mad if we missed the playoffs b/c this b/s !
I heard today that prestonsburg will be put on a CLOSE watch for 2 years and if they get caught doing anything else or anything comes up during that time no matter what in those 2 years then the regular season games is the only games that would count for them....So I would say Pburg will be very careful from now on
Those two guys never played the first game for Prestonsburg.

And the football camp thing, it was all blown out of proportion. (I was there.)
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
If the kids didnt even play.....then what is the problem? Looks like the KHSAA is pushing there weight around again.
Well I think its the fact that a parent in the past raised a bunch of crap when they ruled against there son, and the fact the crap that took place in the football camp in Blaine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blackcat75 Wrote:Those two guys never played the first game for Prestonsburg.

And the football camp thing, it was all blown out of proportion. (I was there.)

That's what I coulnd't understand... they didn't play any... maybe the people involved should be fined or punished or something... not the entire team
Those two boys where at the high school for about 3 months and left to East Jessamine and came back to Allen Central so we really shouldnt be getting punished for anything ! I think we should appeal this probation !
blackcat_student Wrote:Those two boys where at the high school for about 3 months and left to East Jessamine and came back to Allen Central so we really shouldnt be getting punished for anything ! I think we should appeal this probation !
sounds like a bunch of bs
Whether or not they played, recruiting still went on. Pburg officials turned in a report of the violations themselves.

I know it stinks, but Pburg knew someone did something wrong, reported it, got a fine pretty much.
Why is David Barber even doing this? he feels he should recruit. Kick him to the curb. Besides, they have more coaches than players anyways. Won't hurt for them to lose a couple.
blackcat_student Wrote:I would be so mad if we missed the playoffs b/c this b/s !
This would be unfortunate, but the KHSAA must be fair and consistant with its punishments IMO.

BCF4L Wrote:Why is David Barber even doing this? *****edited by administrator*****. Kick him to the curb. Besides, they have more coaches than players anyways. Won't hurt for them to lose a couple.
With all due respect he is not the one on here using the language of a teenager and calling people names. He made a mistake, so what, I am sure he regrets his decision on this matter and if this attitude reflects the majority of attitudes in Prestonsburg, he will regret being apart of that community IMO. They have more coaches than players becasue it takes that many adults to manage less than mature players.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:They have more coaches than players becasue it takes that many adults to manage less than mature players.

I was one of these "less than mature players" your talking about. I had no part in the hazing. So I think someone should learn a little more about the situation, before they make assumptions such as these. One thing that you don't know is that every person that conducted this "so called hazing" has been gone for two years.
[email=BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/email]
BC75@Bluegrassrivals.com
I think the alleged "hazing" is off topic.
Let's get back to the topic or this thread is closed.
I agree with whoever said alot of schools do it and get away with it. I believe that P'burg reported the violation to the KHSAA.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:With all due respect he is not the one on here using the language of a teenager and calling people names. He made a mistake, so what, I am sure he regrets his decision on this matter and if this attitude reflects the majority of attitudes in Prestonsburg, he will regret being apart of that community IMO. They have more coaches than players becasue it takes that many adults to manage less than mature players.
The isn't the only thing that Coach Barber is being investigated about involving football players. So I guess he's sorry about that too. He's a judge, so therefore he should act like it.
BCF4L Wrote:The isn't the only thing that Coach Barber is being investigated about involving football players. So I guess he's sorry about that too. He's a judge, so therefore he should act like it.
I am not saying that he should not be held accountable for his actions. How much did the head coach know about all of this, nothing probably......HA!