Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lawrence County
33.33%
Russell
66.67%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County @ Russell 9/09
Lawrence County will travel to Russell this Friday.

Lawrence County (1-1)
Aug 19, 22 Harrison County away (W) 36 - 0 
Sep 2, 22 Greenup County home (L) 14 - 17

Russell (0-3)
Aug 19, 22 Boone County home (L) 18 - 20 
Aug 27, 22 Raceland away (L) 14 - 53 
Sep 2, 22 Wheelersburg, OH home (L) 21 - 28

Series Per KHSAA
Oct 16, 1998 Lawrence County 64 Russell 34 District Game
Sep 28, 2007 Russell 35 Lawrence County 24
Oct 3, 2008 Russell 41 Lawrence County 20
Sep 13, 2019 Russell 41 Lawrence County 12
Sep 9, 2021 Lawrence County 39 Russell 28

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...477a513d3d

Thoughts?
Even though Greenup is improved this year, common sense would say that their win at Lawrence last week indicates a blowout game at Russell this week. 0-3 Russell gets their first win by 24.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • Willie Nelson
Lawrence county big!!
Devils pick up win #1.
Depends on if the Russell team that played WB shows up or the one who played Raceland shows up. If the one who played WB close shows up then Russell has a chance to win.
Russell actually only leads the series 6-5. The khsaa scoreboard only dates back to 1998. The daily independent football preview shows 6-5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • Bull got out!
I actually picked LC to beat Greenup last week and LC let me down yet again. I’m done buying into LC fans thinking they have a good team when it’s clear they don’t! It’s been so long since LC has been close to being LC of the old days. I say Russell wins this game. This is exactly what Russell needs
[-] The following 2 users Like RAMDAD50's post:
  • SolidRock75, Willie Nelson
I am going with Lawrence County
Lawrence county does have a good team but they have a new quarterback and he’s growing, just experiencing some growing pains. He missed a couple throws that would have been huge. Defense is good, they did give up a couple big plays but had the opportunity to win late and fumbled at the 1 yard line despite not playing their best. This is still a good Lawrence County team, but if they don’t play their best then they will get beat just like anyone else.
(09-04-2022, 05:23 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I actually picked LC to beat Greenup last week and LC let me down yet again. I’m done buying into LC fans thinking they have a good team when it’s clear they don’t! It’s been so long since LC has been close to being LC of the old days. I say Russell wins this game. This is exactly what Russell needs
Lost to Belfry by 1 score the eventual 3A state champions in the district finals last year. A muddy field is the only reason they least to Raceland by 1 point last year. Beat Russell handily last year. So, I’d say they were a pretty good team last year. So it hasn’t been as long as yo’d think. Lawrence County was a really good team last year.
I don’t really consider an 11 point win beating Russell handily. It was a nice win but I consider handily 3 tds or more.
Amen! Some of the things that are said so nonchalantly just about take me out! LOL

Good luck to Coach Short; he’s a gentleman and bleeds black and red Bulldog football!

Amen went to ffc
(09-04-2022, 10:07 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote: I don’t really consider an 11 point win beating Russell handily. It was a nice win but I consider handily 3 tds or more.
I’m sure you were at the game and remember LC being up more than 3 TDs  (39-14 I believe) at one point in the 4th. The game wasn’t as close as the 11 point deficit may suggest.
(09-05-2022, 12:24 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 10:07 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote: I don’t really consider an 11 point win beating Russell handily. It was a nice win but I consider handily 3 tds or more.
I’m sure you were at the game and remember LC being up more than 3 TDs  (39-14 I believe) at one point in the 4th. The game wasn’t as close as the 11 point deficit may suggest.

The game is over when it hits 0:00 doesn't matter how much you are up. It's 48 minutes. If you are up 3 td's or more after 48 minutes then you win handily an 11 point win isn't handily.
Devils by eleventy billion!
Devils in a route
Russell has been really inconsistent so far this season and it really depends on what Russell team shows up this week. If the team that played Raceland shows up the I’ll give it to LC by 2 scores but if the team that played Wheelersburg shows up then I think the Devils get the win. I was looking at their schedule and Russell doesn’t have any games that I would consider a gimme that is a for sure win. We are approaching the halfway point in the season and now is the time for Russell to decide who they are going to be or else at the end of the year they could find themselves being an 0-10 to 2-8 team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • 16thregioner
Boone county and the burg are different animals than Raceland. Devils play much better against teams that want to line it up and run it which they fared pretty well against. Where as Raceland has so much skill which Russell struggles with and so will everyone else. Devils have 2 winnable games before Dunbar comes to town
Russell played well against ground game, down and dirty teams. Struggled against Raceland's atheletes. They wont see that again until maybe PLD. Thats why I am going with Russell by more than most think. I think they have too many weapons at RB and I dont think LC has an answer for Carson Patrick.

Devils 35
Dawgs 14
Imo game is a must win for Russell from a confidence standpoint. They are 0-3 with two of those loses being unable to find a way to win at the end in a close game. At a certain point doubts start to creep in about whether or not you are a good team when you haven’t won yet. I do believe this Russell has a good group of athletes that are capable of winning some games but a loss this week could be the dagger in the heart of the team spirit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • 16thregioner
A loss this week and TJ very well lose the locker room
(09-05-2022, 02:00 AM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(09-05-2022, 12:24 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:

The game is over when it hits 0:00 doesn't matter how much you are up. It's 48 minutes. If you are up 3 td's or more after 48 minutes then you win handily an 11 point win isn't handily.
I don’t blame a Russell guy for saying that after getting it handed to them last year. LC up 25pts (39-14) in the 4th then taking out their starters. Russell was finally able to score and keep LC from scoring then lol. 

Now to this years games. I see Russell winning by around 14pts with it being at Russell. LC has a chance to be pretty good but that just aren’t great right now. LC losing their QB both RBs and leading rusher and scorer from last year will take a few games of adjustment. Saying that LC defense should be very stout with I think 8 starters returning.
Lawrence hasn’t lost 2 in a row in 3 years. They have that going for them. If their program really is on the ascension, they’ll come out clawing and fighting to keep that going, particularly after what most would view as a bad homecoming loss to Greenup last week.

Russell hasn’t lost 4 in a row since 2001. They should come out fighting to not go down as one of the worst Russell teams ever. As another poster said, you lose this one and 0-10 starts to look like a real possibility.
(09-04-2022, 09:48 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:
(09-04-2022, 05:23 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I actually picked LC to beat Greenup last week and LC let me down yet again. I’m done buying into LC fans thinking they have a good team when it’s clear they don’t! It’s been so long since LC has been close to being LC of the old days. I say Russell wins this game. This is exactly what Russell needs
Lost to Belfry by 1 score the eventual 3A state champions in the district finals last year. A muddy field is the only reason they least to Raceland by 1 point last year. Beat Russell handily last year. So, I’d say they were a pretty good team last year. So it hasn’t been as long as yo’d think. Lawrence County was a really good team last year.
Raceland played on the same muddy field so I'm not sure what your point is.
(09-06-2022, 07:36 AM)Slic Ric Wrote:
I didn’t say anything because his point made no sense. You have a team in LC that ran a option attack and a team in Raceland that runs the spread. He’s claiming the muddy field hurt LC but the only reason it was a competitive game was because of the muddy field haha.
Watched the video of the Wheelersburg game and Russel looked so much better than the week before. They played with emotion and looked to be in much better shape (don't know how you do that in a week but hats off to the coaching staff). Lawrence lost a heart breaker and its always hard to predict how any team responds after a tough loss. This game is hard to call but my heart says the Red Devils prevail 24-14.
Give me Russell 28 - Lawrence County 21. The schedule Russell has faced so far pays off with a win. I see the Red Devils being able to run and pass the ball very well against the Dawgs.
(09-06-2022, 07:36 AM)Slic Ric Wrote:
My point was saying Raceland was a good team last year and Lawrence County played them close. The Russell guy who said Lawrence County hasn’t had a good team in years. I was using the LC 1 point game against Raceland and 7 point game against Belfry showing that Lawrence County had a good team last year. It wasn’t a dig toward  Raceland.
I ain’t picking until Do Double says what it will be.
Based on what I’ve seen, if either Russell or LC turn it over multiple times that’s the only way it is a lopsided game.
I think both teams are better than being given credit for at this point.
TJ has always coached well against LC with last season’s whipping in Louisa (it could’ve been way worse) being the lone exception since I’ve watched his teams. Either way, a classic 3A NEKY matchup.
Hope everyone comes out healthy.
I think the way that last weeks game ended for LC that you will see a very inspired Bulldog team. Russell is hungry and this should be a dandy.