Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Covington Catholic 27 Pikeville 19
(08-28-2022, 08:44 AM)Bob Seger Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 12:40 AM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 12:11 AM)Bob Seger Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 10:57 PM)T-CATS Wrote: No shame in losing to a 5A school that’s suppose to win. Raceland is very very good but expect them to take the loss against Fort Thomas in a few weeks.
Actually a 3A school that is playing up to 5A.
Not true. They are a legit 5A school
Since when? CovCath and Ft. Thomas Highlands are both 3A schools and havr been playing up for years.
CovCath is also an all boys school.  Their total enrollment would fit in 3A if they were CoEd. According to the KHSAA they had 545 male students in the last alignment which is at the high end of 4A and the low end of 5A.
I think some Pikeville fans are upset for nothing. They weren't supposed to win the first two games. Jetpilot crashed before this one was even over with. lol
Covington Catholic is a 5A school by enrollment. Highlands is 4A playing up. (Based on enrollment numbers listed in the KHSAA 2019-2022 realignment list: https://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2...iginal.pdf. Highlands should reconsider its decision to play up. They are no longer a contender in 5A and would not be a contender in 4A either but if they want to have a shot at a title in the future, their chances are better in 4A.
(08-28-2022, 03:58 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 12:59 AM)Big Five-0- Wrote: Don't think i would want to be Paintsville right now. Pikeville coming off two close losses will be good and hungry for a win. Thought the Panthers had a chance to pull this one out toward the end of the game, or at least tie it, but it didn't happen. Proud of this team for even scheduling 5-A Cov. Cath. They played tough tonight but fell a little short. Watch them get better as the season progresses.
Yeah I’m sure Paintsville is shaking in their cleats worrying about Pikeville after they just played a team that would rail Pikeville by 4 TDs. Pikeville fans are delusional. You can be proud as you want but that’s not a good Cov Cath team and you just lost to a team that you should’ve beat soundly. I’ve got lots more that I’d like to post about this Pikeville team, staff included, but can’t decide whether I really want to or not.
Knock yourself out. You can rant all you want about my football team, call me delusional . It don’t change a thing with me! I have no doubt this Panther team gets better. Sure, Cov Cath wasn’t a typical Cov Cath team but they’ve got the numbers to throw at you and just played a nationally rank Cincinnati team that will make them better,just like playing Cov. I don’t bail on my team because they play up and come up short the first two games. They just might lose another couple games,don’t know, but no one said playing the toughest schedule in 1-A would be easy. As for Coach Mac and staff….  second to none in single A!
My thoughts,

1. If Boykins is the QB, you have to find a small package of passing plays that work for him.

2. Pikeville has to fix their pass defense. They also have some issue on DL they need to address or scheme better for.

3. Besides Beechwood, NKY football sucks, sucks bad.
I thought Pikeville looked good. Big, fast and physical. Gave up a punt return that came back to haunt them, but stayed focused and had a chance to tie the game at the end. The schedule they are playing is designed to prepare them for a championship run. I know losing sucks, but I don’t think anyone looked at that schedule and expected a undefeated season. Playing teams like they are playing
Allows them to be exposed in certain areas and correct those things that need fixed. Playing teams you can put running clocks on doesn’t show those areas that need fixed and can haunt you come playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VELVET CLOSER's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-27-2022, 11:04 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 10:53 PM)bac2369 Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 10:51 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Just a lot of questions for Pikeville after this game

What are those questions? I’m curious of your opinion.

Main thing is QB. Against good teams with speed like Cov Cath who are smart the inside zone and read option just ain’t getting it done. They loaded the box and just played gaps. Then when they tried to pass 19 would have guys open 10-20 yards down field and just didn’t see them or think he could make the throw. So that just shows he’s not a threat to throw at this point. At the end of the first quarter when Pikeville was in the red zone they threw 3-4 times to try and score. Why didn’t that put 6 in to throw? 

Pikeville will beat a lot of teams because 19 and 12 are in the backfield. But against teams that can match their speed they will have to figure out something else. Right now you can load the box key 19 on the read option and plug the middle for 12.

Nice assessment.. I agree Pikeville will win games because of 19/12 in the backfield.. Here is my thoughts.

Boykins is electric back there and in space he is lethal. You are correct he is not threat to throw the ball other than maybe 5-15 yards.. So Pikeville will see a lot of loaded boxes all season.. I myself just don’t think running those reads and him improvising on the play is going to get things done. Pikeville is a well offensive planned out team and I think ( go out and make a play is just not them with your leg Boykins). I’ve not seen the Duty kid play or throw but come playoff time in my opinion I think u need Duty at quarterback with using Boykins and Birchfield in the backfield.. The only reason I’m saying that is come late November when it’s cold on these Friday nights late I’ll be curious to see how ball security will be.. I myself think that could get Pikeville beat if they don’t hang onto the ball.
I’m still surprised to see Carson Wright not getting any carries. Not saying he needs a lot but 5-6 carries to give Birchfield a breather.
This game could have very easily been the other way around. Early in the second half the Colonels threw a backwards pass that was fumbled and would have been a scoop and score for Wade Hensley and would have completely changed the game, imo. The refs blew it dead and called an incomplete pass. I mean it was an obvious backwards pass. I don’t see how they could be that bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoR_58's post:
  • Big Five-0-
(08-28-2022, 09:52 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Covington Catholic is a 5A school by enrollment. Highlands is 4A playing up. (Based on enrollment numbers listed in the KHSAA 2019-2022 realignment list: https://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2...iginal.pdf. Highlands should reconsider its decision to play up. They are no longer a contender in 5A and would not be a contender in 4A either but if they want to have a shot at a title in the future, their chances are better in 4A.
Thanks for the correction. I thought that CC and Highlands both played up. That has been my understanding….My apologies Ram a Devil
(08-28-2022, 03:45 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 09:52 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Covington Catholic is a 5A school by enrollment. Highlands is 4A playing up. (Based on enrollment numbers listed in the KHSAA 2019-2022 realignment list: https://khsaa.org/football/realignment/2...iginal.pdf. Highlands should reconsider its decision to play up. They are no longer a contender in 5A and would not be a contender in 4A either but if they want to have a shot at a title in the future, their chances are better in 4A.
Thanks for the correction. I thought that CC and Highlands both played up. That has been my understanding….My apologies Ram a Devil
I knew that Covington Catholic's enrollment had increased but I was surprised when I looked at the stats and found that Highlands' enrollment had increased enough to put them into 4A. 

I wish Highlands had not decided to play up. There is not much doubt that Johnson Central would lead the series with the 'Birds had stayed in 4A instead of following Covington Catholic to 5A. It's ironic that the quality of Highlands' football teams have dropped as their enrollment increased.
(08-28-2022, 03:43 PM)VoR_58 Wrote: This game could have very easily been the other way around.  Early in the second half the Colonels threw a backwards pass that was fumbled and would have been a scoop and score for Wade Hensley and would have completely changed the game, imo.  The refs blew it dead and called an incomplete pass.  I mean it was an obvious backwards pass. I don’t see how they could be that bad.
100 percent correct!
(08-27-2022, 10:57 PM)T-CATS Wrote: No shame in losing to a 5A school that’s suppose to win. Raceland is very very good but expect them to take the loss against Fort Thomas in a few weeks.
Since when? CovCath and Ft. Thomas Highlands are both 3A schools and havr been playing up for years.
Not true but I do understand why somebody might think that. But there enrollment numbers are more than Johnson Central and they are a 4A. And it's been that way for a long time. Where the confusion comes in is because Covington Catholic is a all male school.
(08-28-2022, 03:59 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
I knew that Covington Catholic's enrollment had increased but I was surprised when I looked at the stats and found that Highlands' enrollment had increased enough to put them into 4A. 

I wish Highlands had not decided to play up. There is not much doubt that Johnson Central would lead the series with the 'Birds had stayed in 4A instead of following Covington Catholic to 5A. It's ironic that the quality of Highlands' football teams have dropped as their enrollment increased.

A few years ago when Johnson Central wa playing CovCath and Highlands in the playoffs, Cental was in 5A and the other two were both in 3A playing up in 5A. Right? .....Then realignment took place and that moved JC to 4A, while CC and Highlands both chose to stay in 5A...Still correct?  ...So the enrollment for boh CC and Highlands increased since that time in that Highlands is now qualified to be in 4A and CovCath in 5A? Is that correct as well?
(08-28-2022, 04:40 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:

A few years ago when Johnson Central wa playing CovCath and Highlands in the playoffs, Cental was in 5A and the other two were both in 3A playing up in 5A. Right? .....Then realignment took place and that moved JC to 4A, while CC and Highlands both chose to stay in 5A...Still correct?  ...So the enrollment for boh CC and Highlands increased since that time in that Highlands is now qualified to be in 4A and CovCath in 5A? Is that correct as well?
That's the way I remember it. Both Highlands and Covington Catholic were 3A, both decided to play up to 5A and both have grown in enrollment - but I could be mistaken. I think the fact that teams are allowed to play in different classes than they belong is proof that Kentucky has too many classes. Travel distances and expenses are a disadvantage for large county schools around the state like Johnson Central and other kids work in high school to help support their families. I always argued that transportation home from practices was also an advantage that schools like Highlands had over county schools. Some kids are too poor and live too far from school to make it to practices.

An enrollment of 500 boys at an urban or suburban school is not equivalent to the same enrollment at a large school in a rural school where 70 percent of potential players qualify for free lunches. Those factors make Johnson Central's success on the football field even more impressive, IMO.
(08-28-2022, 04:58 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(08-28-2022, 04:40 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:

That's the way I remember it. Both Highlands and Covington Catholic were 3A, both decided to play up to 5A and both have grown in enrollment - but I could be mistaken. I think the fact that teams are allowed to play in different classes than they belong is proof that Kentucky has too many classes. Travel distances and expenses are a disadvantage for large county schools around the state like Johnson Central and other kids work in high school to help support their families. I always argued that transportation home from practices was also an advantage that schools like Highlands had over county schools. Some kids are too poor and live too far from school to make it to practices.

An enrollment of 500 boys at an urban or suburban school is not equivalent to the same enrollment at a large school in a rural school where 70 percent of potential players qualify for free lunches. Those factors make Johnson Central's success on the football field even more impressive, IMO.

OK, thanks Hoot. When I made the statement to RAM A DEVIL, I have to admit that I did not consider that enrollment numbers could have changed.....I was still in the mindset of they way things were back when we were playing them.....Just doesn't seem like it was all that long ago.
I love this Panther team and coach Chris Mcnamee. The offense they had last night, yea you could easily get away with it with anyone in Class A. 
But
LCA. Madison Central. Belfry. 

You gotta throw the ball. 

I understand Cov Cath - 5a
Corbin - 4a

No excuse. We’re 2 TDs better then both of them. 
We all know no matter what Coach Mac does it will be whatever it takes to get to Kroger field. 

Not happy with 0-2 of course. But happy these kids never quit. 
From here on out I guarantee you’ll see a different Pikeville team rest of the season and not 1 person will be doubting us!
Hail Pikeville!
[-] The following 1 user Likes PantherGuy7's post:
  • Big Five-0-
That was a game Pikeville should have won. Show themselves in the foot with a bad snap, a punt return, coverage breakdowns, and holding CC to 4th downs and not getting stops. Boykins is a good scrambler but Pikeville has some really good WR’s that just aren’t being targeted. Eventually teams will just spy on Birchfield and him while also containing. Gotta start throwing downfield passes more. Play call also has to improve, but that is something to be expected because they haven’t had a running quarterback in years so I get that will take time. I like this team and they do have the potential to win it all , BUT they got work to do.
Cov Cath is not that good. It’s a toss up who wins their district
(08-28-2022, 08:47 PM)bo67 Wrote: Cov Cath is not that good. It’s a toss up who wins their district

They may not be but for our area in EKY they have some players that makes them very good for us watching. 55, 3, 2, and 10 were great players to watch.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(08-27-2022, 11:33 PM)Panther88 Wrote: If they continue to play Boykins at QB they are sabotaging the season. They would likely be 2-0 right now with 2 close wins if they played Duty full time with Boykins and Birchfield in the backfield or possibly Boykins as a reciever, but idk if he can catch, we all know he can run and could probably get open alot.
How many State Championships does the coach have, I bet with out your help he wouldn’t have an. Quit acting like a dumbazz and support your team
Pikeville has to find a way to get Hensley, Scott and other skill players the ball.

If they can’t, they might as well line up with two TEs and run the veer.
(08-29-2022, 01:16 AM)BoondockSaint Wrote: Pikeville has to find a way to get Hensley, Scott and other skill players the ball. 

This!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • BoondockSaint
(08-28-2022, 09:35 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
CovCath is also an all boys school.  Their total enrollment would fit in 3A if they were CoEd. According to the KHSAA they had 545 male students in the last alignment which is at the high end of 4A and the low end of 5A.
The current enrollment is under 500 male students.

(08-28-2022, 03:43 PM)VoR_58 Wrote: This game could have very easily been the other way around.  Early in the second half the Colonels threw a backwards pass that was fumbled and would have been a scoop and score for Wade Hensley and would have completely changed the game, imo.  The refs blew it dead and called an incomplete pass.  I mean it was an obvious backwards pass. I don’t see how they could be that bad.
It was a terrible call….but that score would not have made the difference. Pikeville scored 3 plays later. Cov cath is very young and inexperienced. Pikeville was impressive with their size, athleticism, speed, and physicality. Cov cath is a work in progress….with that said, it never really felt like the game was in question. Even as the game was ending with Pikeville down 1 score, with the ball….their offensive execution up to that was suspect. Regardless, both teams have quite a bit to improve upon. Good luck to both.
Pikeville will be just fine. No state championship has ever been won in August. When you bring in a QB who has never ran your offense you have growing pains. The kid came from Pike Central. Cov Cath game was biggest game he had ever played in. No he will not beat you with his arm but needs time and experience to learn to get good reads on plays. Made some bad decisions on when to keep/give handoffs but when gets in open field he is hard to deal with.
Duty is the better QB, by faaaaaaaaar.

Boykins is a very good RB.

Pikeville will win A no matter who the QB is.
(08-29-2022, 01:55 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 01:16 AM)BoondockSaint Wrote: Pikeville has to find a way to get Hensley, Scott and other skill players the ball. 

This!

Just said this in another thread. Its not a QB issue. Its a system issue. Either let Duty work through the growing pains and use his arm to get Hensley and Boykins into space and lean on Burchfield and put Wright back there some too. OR get undercenter with the two big TEs and that huge ass line and Belfry the hell out of people. This is from someone that benefits nothing for Pikeville being good lol. I just love football.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Big Five-0-, BoondockSaint, Hoot Gibson
(08-29-2022, 10:41 AM)RTruth Wrote: Duty is the better QB, by faaaaaaaaar.

Boykins is a very good RB.

Pikeville will win A no matter who the QB is.
Problem is Pikeville already had a great RB in Birchfield before Boykins come. Wright is too. So do you just put Boykins on the sideline or split reps with Birchfield in the backfield and put Duty at QB? I’m sure there are a lot of coaches in the state who wish they had the qb problems Pikeville has.
He’d be an ideal slot receiver.
I am confused...

I thought I read after the Corbin game that in order for Pikeville to be successful then Boykins needed to get all the snaps at QB instead of Duty?

Now it seems that the perception is Duty is the only and best solution at QB?

Is this real life?

Pikeville just needs to win baby! Winning fixes everything.