Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Class 1A Talk
Johnson Central is open in week 4 lol...would this schedule be a.) best schedule in history, b.) suicide or c.) both?

Corbin
Covington Catholic
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Belfry
LCA
Madison Central
Sayre
Russellville
Hazard

Pikeville and JC scrimmage on August 6th I believe.
[-] The following 3 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Bull got out!, Humpty Dumpty
(07-17-2022, 10:23 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Johnson Central is open in week 4 lol...would this schedule be a.) best schedule in history, b.) suicide or c.) both?

Corbin
Covington Catholic
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Belfry
LCA
Madison Central
Sayre
Russellville
Hazard

I think this Pikeville team can handle it but man, would it not be a a ruff one.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Big Five-0-, Humpty Dumpty, jetpilot
(07-17-2022, 10:23 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Johnson Central is open in week 4 lol...would this schedule be a.) best schedule in history, b.) suicide or c.) both?

Corbin
Covington Catholic
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Belfry
LCA
Madison Central
Sayre
Russellville
Hazard

Pikeville may be 5-5 at the end of this but they will be ready for any competition in 1a. Hope they can stay healthy through that gauntlet
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16 special's post:
  • RAMDAD50
Rams ring season
(07-18-2022, 02:37 AM)KYHSFB Wrote: Rams ring season
Possible but they will have to be 14-35 points better than 2021.

Corbin
Covington Catholic
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Belfry
LCA
Madison Central
Sayre
Russellville
Hazard

That would be a brutal schedule, and like you said I would hope any major injuries could be avoided because that would be some tough and physical football, I love it though.
MacNamee and staff have it rolling in Pikeville and they are loaded for the foreseeable future.
[-] The following 2 users Like Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot
(07-17-2022, 09:37 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 09:36 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Heard thru the grapevine that Pikeville may have picked up a game with Russellville. Playing it at Somerset. As for rankings I would still keep Pikeville at 1 seeing as they’re the defending champs. But I’d have Raceland literally nipping at their heels. And Hazard just barely behind that. Also I agree with Pat1 that Williamsburg isn’t a team to be overlooked. As for Paintsville I look for them to be a little further down this year. Phelps, the player not the team, is great and they have a couple more skill kids of note but will be weak upfront on both sides of the ball which doesn’t bode well.
Also I’m going to make one statement about Pikeville, and I’ve only stopped by briefly to one of Pikeville’s practices so far…..
Boykins can flat out FLY!
I could be wrong, but i don't think it's been confirmed yet if the game will be played at Somerset or not. Imo, a good halfway point for both teams would be at Lindsey Wilson College. Some HS football games have been played there in the past.

LWC is tough for a lot of mountain schools. It's about 4 hours by bus from Pikeville to Columbia, 2 hours from Russellville to Columbia. Somerset is about 3 hours by bus from both. Also Somerset has about 5x the capacity of LWC, which I doubt would be an issue here but still. LWC has a nice stadium but it's not very big.
^^^Game is at SHS per Nick King twitter 10/15/22 at 2 pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • RoShamBo
(07-17-2022, 11:23 PM)16 special Wrote:

Corbin
Covington Catholic
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Belfry
LCA
Madison Central
Sayre
Russellville
Hazard

Pikeville may be 5-5 at the end of this but they will be ready for any competition in 1a. Hope they can stay healthy through that gauntlet
Sadly….they don’t need this schedule to compete in class A. It’s a very watered down class
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty
I have been really impressed by Hazard. They have a lot of talent. I expect a big season from them. However with that being said I don't see them getting over that Pikeville hump. 
I have also heard good things about Williamsburg.

I still would have Pikeville as a pretty big favorite.

1. Pikeville

2. Raceland
3. Hazard

Outside of East KY I have no idea 

With Pikeville's schedule they will surely be battle tested love their schedule. Should have them ready for anything 1a can throw at them
[-] The following 1 user Likes wolfcat's post:
  • Micro-Brew
(07-18-2022, 09:56 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(07-17-2022, 11:23 PM)16 special Wrote:

Corbin
Covington Catholic
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Belfry
LCA
Madison Central
Sayre
Russellville
Hazard

Sadly….they don’t need this schedule to compete in class A. It’s a very watered down class
All the more reason to schedule good teams all year. If you are only scheduling what you need to get by you are doing it wrong IMO.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Humpty Dumpty, Micro-Brew

Corbin
Covington Catholic
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Belfry
LCA
Madison Central
Sayre
Russellville
Hazard

I personally am not for picking up Johnson Central for a couple of reasons. The schedule is already plenty tough enough. Secondly you already play a veer oriented run first team in Belfry. No one in Single A runs that offense, so other than just wanting another physical test there is no benefit to Pikeville. It doesn’t prepare your defense for any offense you will see come Nov or December. The year Pikeville played and lost to a very talented Point Pleasant team was great. That game prepared them more for Beechwood than another other game that entire season. Which Pikeville ultimately lost by 1 point to. But if they were trying to fill that week, I’d be on the search for a very competitive game against offenses similar to Hazard or Raceland. The Wheelersburg game last year was an awesome pickup as well. Also the year they played Ridgeview and Trenton Adkins. That kid was the best player Pikeville played against all year. They then went on to put a running clock on every team throughout the playoffs and state title game. Those are the types of tests you look for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
^^^Agree with everything you said MB. Excellent points.
Are we back to cross district pairings this year?
Pikeville is going to be how good Birchfield can take them.

I’m watching practice they have a tough choice at QB.

One that can throw, but is athletically limited.

One that can run, but is very limited in throwing.

One that is average at both.
(07-19-2022, 10:15 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Are we back to cross district pairings this year?

Yes we are…. So we could have the big 4 in the 3rd round Pikeville, Paintsville, Hazard and Raceland.. 3rd round is gonna be tough!!! Williamsburg and Paris could Play spoilers…
I'll go with Pikeville until someone beats them.
Looks like its the easts to win again in one way or another. I agree with the statement about Pikeville and Birchfield. What does Pikeville return upfront?
Absolutely nothing.
Rams by Eleventy-Billion!
[-] The following 3 users Like Micro-Brew's post:
  • Big Five-0-, Humpty Dumpty, jetpilot
Pikeville has several excellent RBs. I don’t look for them to expect Birchfield to carry the ball 30 times a game this year. Studs at WR and TE too. Anybody hoping Pikeville is a one trick pony is going to be disappointed.
  • Big Five-0-
(07-19-2022, 01:21 PM)RTruth Wrote: Pikeville is going to be how good Birchfield can take them.

You say choice to make I say opportunities! If the coach is creative enough he can play both and have a dynamic offense
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • jetpilot
(07-19-2022, 01:21 PM)RTruth Wrote: Pikeville is going to be how good Birchfield can take them.

Total BS.
(07-19-2022, 04:45 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Pikeville has several excellent RBs. I don’t look for them to expect Birchfield to carry the ball 30 times a game this year. Studs at WR and TE too.  Anybody hoping Pikeville is a one trick pony is going to be disappointed.

I can think of four, maybe five strong running backs for Pikeville this season, addition to Birchfield .Keep an eye on #14 this season. Dude runs so hard like Blake Birchfield, and doesn’t mind taking and delivering a hit. Gonna be fun watching this offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Five-0-'s post:
  • jetpilot
(07-19-2022, 03:17 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Looks like its the easts to win again in one way or another. I agree with the statement about Pikeville and Birchfield. What does Pikeville return upfront?
I answer your question Scotty they return 3 starters and 3 that alternated in and out all year to give the bigs a rest but the line on offense will be solid. Defense will be strong since most of the back end meaning linebackers and defensive backs are all back but they did lose 3 good down lineman but they also had some players rotating in and out with them also. Pikeville’s backfield is loaded with talent as also are the receivers. The quarterback is the position that is going to need the work and from what I seen in one practice he is definitely getting it. Probably going to take some lumps along the way but hopefully they all stay healthy and are hitting on all cylinders at the end of the year and as always GO PANTHERS!!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Patriot1's post:
  • Big Five-0-, jetpilot, Micro-Brew
(07-19-2022, 10:13 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(07-19-2022, 04:45 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Pikeville has several excellent RBs. I don’t look for them to expect Birchfield to carry the ball 30 times a game this year. Studs at WR and TE too.  Anybody hoping Pikeville is a one trick pony is going to be disappointed.

I can think of four, maybe five strong running backs for Pikeville this season, addition to Birchfield .Keep an eye on #14 this season. Dude runs so hard like Blake Birchfield, and doesn’t mind taking and delivering a hit. Gonna be fun watching this offense.
Yes 14 had one carry for 33 yards vs Raceland last year as a freshman. Stud. Wouldn't trade him for any back Pikeville will face in Class A. And Anthony will be running over people and Carson Wright who was the best back in the mountains before he lost 2 seasons...

Pikeville is a one man team is hilarious...

Hazard is the team to beat over Raceland.
  • Big Five-0-
Like I’ve said before, Pikeville is going to take a few steps back at quarterback. McNamee had some studs to throw to over the years, but he also was great at taking what the defense gave him and if need be he could thread the needle. He was a legit D1 quarterback and those guys just don’t grow on trees.

As for Raceland, I just seen them at the KCU/Battle of Carter Co 7v7 and they passed the eye test. Them and Ashland looked like they’ve spent a lot of time hitting the weights. Logan Lundy also looks way better than anytime last season throwing the football. He’s gonna be one of the top QBs in the state this year. Raceland also won the passing tourney.

Pikeville will still be the favorite, because they’re loaded almost at every position with depth, but Raceland has closed the talent gap. How much? We will see.

Paintsville, Hazard, Bethlehem, Russellville, and Williamsburg will all be good teams as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Micro-Brew
(07-19-2022, 11:34 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(07-19-2022, 10:13 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:

Yes 14 had one carry for 33 yards vs Raceland last year as a freshman. Stud. Wouldn't trade him for any back Pikeville will face in Class A. And Anthony will be running over people and Carson Wright who was the best back in the mountains before he lost 2 seasons...

Pikeville is a one man team is hilarious...

Hazard is the team to beat over Raceland.
I could def make an argument that Hazard was better than Raceland last year. Both Pikeville/Hazard games were very physical games. And the only Pikeville/Raceland game was never in question. 
Has anyone been to either of Pikeville’s 7v7’s? I’d like to hear some updates and if there appears to be any progress from the first to the second 7v7. How have the QB’s looked? How has the defense looked? I know Pikeville typically plays a 3-4 defense so it kinda throws off their 7v7 defense, having only 3 Lb’s. Just curious.
(07-20-2022, 01:18 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: I could def make an argument that Hazard was better than Raceland last year. Both Pikeville/Hazard games were very physical games. And the only Pikeville/Raceland game was never in question. 
Has anyone been to either of Pikeville’s 7v7’s? I’d like to hear some updates and if there appears to be any progress from the first to the second 7v7. How have the QB’s looked? How has the defense looked? I know Pikeville typically plays a 3-4 defense so it kinda throws off their 7v7 defense, having only 3 Lb’s. Just curious.

I believe they had a 7v7 with SV and Betsy Layne tonight. I don't know the results, but was told BL surprised both SV and Pikeville.
(07-20-2022, 12:13 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Like I’ve said before, Pikeville is going to take a few steps back at quarterback. McNamee had some studs to throw to over the years, but he also was great at taking what the defense gave him and if need be he could thread the needle. He was a legit D1 quarterback and those guys just don’t grow on trees.

As for Raceland, I just seen them at the KCU/Battle of Carter Co 7v7 and they passed the eye test. Them and Ashland looked like they’ve spent a lot of time hitting the weights. Logan Lundy also looks way better than anytime last season throwing the football. He’s gonna be one of the top QBs in the state this year. Raceland also won the passing tourney.

Pikeville will still be the favorite, because they’re loaded almost at every position with depth, but Raceland has closed the talent gap. How much? We will see.

Paintsville, Hazard, Bethlehem, Russellville, and Williamsburg will all be good teams as well.
I don't believe it. Going to be a very exciting year.
  • BlackcatAlum
This is as easy as it gets. Hazard 10x better than Raceland last year.