Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REVISION to KRS 156.070
KRS 156.070 (2)(h)

Any student who transfers enrollment from a district of residence to a nonresident district under KRS 157.350(4)(b) shall be ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics for one (1) calendar year from the date of the transfer.

This will take effect July 1st of 2022.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • Bull got out!
This is K-12 as well.

So I would assume public districts that take tuition students who are out of district can no longer do that correct?
(04-22-2022, 02:41 PM)plantmanky Wrote: This is K-12 as well.

So I would assume public districts that take tuition students who are out of district can no longer do that correct?

I am not sure about that.
(04-22-2022, 02:45 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 02:41 PM)plantmanky Wrote: This is K-12 as well. 

I am not sure about that.

Im out to a couple legislature members, but I would think it would have too.

On a high level this makes sense, it stops a charter school from becoming IMG overnight.
Interesting.
So out of district students with the “1 for 1” rule are over. Like a knox county resident going to corbin, etc. I’m just wondering?

(04-25-2022, 11:28 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: So out of district students with the “1 for 1” rule are over. Like a knox county resident going to corbin, etc. I’m just wondering?

That's what it sounds like to me but I'm not sure. Transfer before July 1st and a kid should be good.
Where’s the line that says unless….
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
You must have an astronomy/psychology degree to even somewhat understand rules written by KHSAA or the school systems these days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • MightyOak2
(04-25-2022, 12:04 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 11:28 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: So out of district students with the “1 for 1” rule are over. Like a knox county resident going to corbin, etc. I’m just wondering?

That's what it sounds like to me but I'm not sure. Transfer before July 1st and a kid should be good.
Just do a legit move and no worries..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Playcaller66's post:
  • GOREDDEVILS
So if I live in Tenn. & want to send my child to Bell Co/ Middlesboro as a 9th grader I should move or can I pay tuition??? If after the 9th grade & on a varsity roster does a bonafide change of residence as stated by the bylaws not happen now to be eligible to play sports???
(04-26-2022, 11:15 PM)throw deep Wrote: So if I live in Tenn. & want to send my child to Bell Co/ Middlesboro as a 9th grader I should move or can I pay tuition??? If after the 9th grade & on a varsity roster does a bonafide change of residence as stated by the bylaws not happen now to be eligible to play sports???

You have a good question. I am interested to how all of this plays out myself. A lot of unanswered questions. I just know this is above the khsaa and this should make things easier on the khsaa. The way I see it is you move to the district you want your kid to play in state. If it's in the same county you might be able to transfer to an in county school(I'm not even sure on that). You wouldn't be able to go to Ashland if you lived in the Russell district for sure since they are in different counties unless you moved to Ashland.
Will the KHSAA have rewrite their transfer bylaws?????
(04-26-2022, 11:38 PM)throw deep Wrote: Will the KHSAA have rewrite their transfer bylaws?????

They might have to do something I don't know, I just know this trumps khsaa rules. This means the khsaa won't have to make many decisions on eligibility like in the past.
In the long run in this age of travel sports and private teams could this rule hurt the school teams? There were already a lot of kids and parents opting out of their school team to play year round travel sports. Could this rule keep the kids who do transfer to a new school from coming out and just focus on their travel team when they are eligible?

Also does this apply to youth leagues within the school district that are not affiliated with the school or is it just the school affiliated teams.
(04-27-2022, 01:42 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: In the long run in this age of travel sports and private teams could this rule hurt the school teams?  There were already a lot of kids and parents opting out of their school team to play year round travel sports.  Could this rule keep the kids who do transfer to a new school from coming out and just focus on their travel team when they are eligible? 

Also does this apply to youth leagues within the school district that are not affiliated with the school or is it just the school affiliated teams.

To your first point: Yes, I agree. While the KY Dept of Ed and their board may believe this helps the KHSAA with tricky scenarios, it will eventually lead to the downfall of high school sports in favor of club/travel teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Runnin' Clock's post:
  • MightyOak2
(04-27-2022, 01:42 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: In the long run in this age of travel sports and private teams could this rule hurt the school teams?  There were already a lot of kids and parents opting out of their school team to play year round travel sports.  Could this rule keep the kids who do transfer to a new school from coming out and just focus on their travel team when they are eligible? 

I don't know of ANY kids who have opted to play for a travel team instead of their school team. Besides, it is a rule , which means parents and coaches will find a way around it.
(04-28-2022, 12:28 PM)BUFFALO Wrote:

I don't know of ANY kids who have opted to play for a travel team instead of their school team. Besides, it is a rule , which means parents and coaches will find a way around it.

Happens mostly in soccer and volleyball.  There is currently a player on FC Cincy pro soccer team that was a senior at Highlands last year, but he didn't play for Highlands he played year round for his Club soccer team (all through high school).   I agree its a rarity in most sports but it does happen.
This is simply more of the attacks on public education. Think before you pull the lever.
After careful consideration, I am in favor of this rule, with slight alteration. I believe should your school drop their athletic program, the rule should be voided for that specific case. I also would like to see the language become more narrow. District should be replaced with school in order to stop "school hopping." That might be farfetched as many districts are open enrollment. The club trend will never catch on in the majority of the state. Outside of NKY, Lexington, and Louisville, I don't believe you will see any AAU revolutions.
(05-03-2022, 03:06 PM)Real Badman Wrote: After careful consideration, I am in favor of this rule, with slight alteration. I believe should your school drop their athletic program, the rule should be voided for that specific case. I also would like to see the language become more narrow. District should be replaced with school in order to stop "school hopping." That might be farfetched as many districts are open enrollment. The club trend will never catch on in the majority of the state. Outside of NKY, Lexington, and Louisville, I don't believe you will see any AAU revolutions.

How is this rule different than the “you must move” rule?

So now if someone moves and has a rental in that district, they are eligible at any school in that district?
Here is some guidance from khsaa on the revision. https://khsaa.org/06-13-22-bylaw-8-repla...rs156-070/
It would be good for anyone who has kids playing sports k-12 to read the guidance at the above link.
So by the very nature of the rule, this rule should actually make parents think twice before up and taking a kid from one school to another just for playing time. At least that is how I take this. I am certainly no rocket scientist but this should help to " curb" the recruiting that goes on in high school sports.

Hell, I know of at least 3 Paris kids that go to GRC and play sports and at least one Clark County kid that plays at Madison Central.
To me it looks like much of the same. I'm in the camp of high school sports and education is not a business. If I want to pull my kid from Corbin and drive them to Glasgow (If I so choose to do so) then they should be allowed to do so and be afforded the same sports opportunity as anyone in Glasgow. KHSAA and the Dept of Education need to keep out of it and let parents do whatever they dang well please with their children.
Well if the recruits up and move and get a legit home/residence in the school district they want to go to then all is just fine and hunky dory. Won’t stop anyone. All rule is saying Leslie County kids can’t drive to Hazard any more and go to school with Leslie Address. Rule may help a little but not a lot.
Everyone thinks about kids transferring in only one way. People think of “recruit” and going to a school where they can win a championship. Do people ever think how bad these type of rules hurts a kid that wants to leave a high level program where he or she won’t see playing time? Maybe they want to go to a average school where they can play some ball and make memories but the KHSSA wants to flex their mussels and take that away from kids. Boy…in a country of freedoms we sure do get told what we can and can’t do a lot
And these rules apply K-8 as well?

Example:

If a kid living in county A transfers to another county school without moving residences the kid is ineligible for 1 year if they aren't enrolled before July, 1 2022?
(06-21-2022, 09:28 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: And these rules apply K-8 as well?

Example:

If a kid living in county A transfers to another county school without moving residences the kid is ineligible for 1 year if they aren't enrolled before July, 1 2022?

I think a kid can do anything they want until their officially enrolled in high school
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • BlackcatAlum