•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ashland self-reports possible recruiting violation to the KHSAA
(06-05-2022, 12:17 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Once this is looked into more (if the KHSAA does) which they probably won't but there is more than just this one kid. There is also two more from another school in the 16th region. There is also talk of a really good player coming in from New Jersey (I believe) and I think they hired his father to the coaching staff. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

what other school?
Again, not condoning anything the parent did, but im sure he recorded this conversation bc he is tired of this coach trying to recruit better players off area teams. The coach even admitted in the video/audio that he shouldve tried harder to get the best player off another area team in the past.
Someone just needs to go ahead and post the recorded audio and I’m sure that it will eventually be made public.
Boy it’s funny how everyone “knows” something about something they know nothing about. I could care less about Assland and this situation but sitting reading all this crap makes me laugh. I mean we have the link to the article in the paper but you people aren’t even talking about facts…just typing a bunch of BS! Stop crying about recruiting. If you kid was good enough you would put him in the best program around and do t say you wouldn’t. A lot of cry babies in here crying this morning haha. Parents these days are the worst and they create 90% of the problems. Just look at all the kids leaving the Assland football program!
(06-05-2022, 01:46 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Boy it’s funny how everyone “knows” something about something they know nothing about. I could care less about Assland and this situation but sitting reading all this crap makes me laugh. I mean we have the link to the article in the paper but you people aren’t even talking about facts…just typing a bunch of BS! Stop crying about recruiting. If you kid was good enough you would put him in the best program around and do t say you wouldn’t. A lot of cry babies in here crying this morning haha. Parents these days are the worst and they create 90% of the problems. Just look at all the kids leaving the Assland football program!

The article doesn’t transcribe or play the audio recording.  The article is only Ashland’s administration response to the unheard recording, big difference.
(06-05-2022, 01:14 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Who will be the next coach at Ashland? Hearing Steve Wright is involved.

In the interview with the newspaper the principal said they had done what they felt was required and self-reported it to the KHSAA and that the principal fully intended for Coach Mays to be the Tomcats basketball coach for the 2022-23 season. Now that could change later when more information comes out but according to the principal as of now they are not looking for another coach.
(06-05-2022, 01:53 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 01:46 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Boy it’s funny how everyone “knows” something about something they know nothing about. I could care less about Assland and this situation but sitting reading all this crap makes me laugh. I mean we have the link to the article in the paper but you people aren’t even talking about facts…just typing a bunch of BS! Stop crying about recruiting. If you kid was good enough you would put him in the best program around and do t say you wouldn’t. A lot of cry babies in here crying this morning haha. Parents these days are the worst and they create 90% of the problems. Just look at all the kids leaving the Assland football program!

The article doesn’t transcribe or play the audio recording.  The article is only Ashland’s administration response to the unheard recording, big difference.
What are these "facts"? Enlighten us.
I’m all for kids going where they want to go but if this type of stuff is happening there needs to be something done.
(06-05-2022, 04:38 PM)DarthVader Wrote: I’m all for kids going where they want to go but if this type of stuff is happening there needs to be something done.
The parent contact the coach. Yes something needs to be done. The kid needs to lose a year of eligibility
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Ky1976
(06-05-2022, 04:41 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 04:38 PM)DarthVader Wrote: I’m all for kids going where they want to go but if this type of stuff is happening there needs to be something done.
The parent contact the coach. Yes something needs to be done. The kid needs to lose a year of eligibility

I can’t argue with that, one side is in the wrong and I’m not familiar enough with the situation on which it was but all this recruiting nonsense is making a mockery of high school sports across the board. It’s like here’s the rules with a wink.
(06-05-2022, 04:05 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 01:53 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:

What are these "facts"? Enlighten us.

That is why I look forward to hearing the recording.
(06-05-2022, 06:27 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 11:30 PM)Mountain Sports 007 Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 11:27 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 10:59 PM)Mountain Sports 007 Wrote: Hard to believe he recruited, if the parent called him sounds like to me he was trying to sell him. Who knows his auto warranty may be about to run out. People gets calls, not fair to call and not let them know it was a recorded line to me.
"hard to believe he recruited"....Ashland brings in fresh faces every year, it's hard for any reasonable person to believe he didn't recruit.
Is it recruiting if the parent contacts them?

According to KHSAA it depends on the actual conversation, and if the coach tried to recruit a kid/parent from rival school to come play over kids currently enrolled at the school.  The call originator is irrelevant.  

it’s a recorded conversation, so the answer should be black and white.  Release the recording if he is innocent.
Is it legal for a Coward to call and bait someone?  (Record them without their knowledge of it?) Then try to use it for defamation of character and threaten his job.  Sounds premeditated and malicious to me.  I am pretty sure it is a KHSAA violation for the parent to call the coach as well.  
Does anyone know the rule on that?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Appalachian Cat's post:
  • Ky1976
(06-05-2022, 10:51 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote:
(06-05-2022, 06:27 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 11:30 PM)Mountain Sports 007 Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 11:27 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 10:59 PM)Mountain Sports 007 Wrote: Hard to believe he recruited, if the parent called him sounds like to me he was trying to sell him. Who knows his auto warranty may be about to run out. People gets calls, not fair to call and not let them know it was a recorded line to me.
"hard to believe he recruited"....Ashland brings in fresh faces every year, it's hard for any reasonable person to believe he didn't recruit.
Is it recruiting if the parent contacts them?
According to KHSAA it depends on the actual conversation, and if the coach tried to recruit a kid/parent from rival school to come play over kids currently enrolled at the school.  The call originator is irrelevant.  

it’s a recorded conversation, so the answer should be black and white.  Release the recording if he is innocent.
Is it legal for a Coward to call and bait someone?  (Record them without their knowledge of it?) Then try to use it for defamation of character and threaten his job.  Sounds premeditated and malicious to me.  I am pretty sure it is a KHSAA violation for the parent to call the coach as well.  
Does anyone know the rule on that?
How is that not entrapment? Is it true start next year there portal for high school athletes?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mountain Sports 007's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
Wow, didn’t realize this situation was this intense. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Who called who?

If the parent called Mays and recorded the conversation, then it was clearly done with the intent to entrap Mays, to try to make the senior who already went to Ashland ineligible, and to give Boyd a better chance to win. It doesn’t seem to be illegal in Kentucky to do what the parent did. It will be an interesting case, though, should Mays lose his job or the senior player’s scholarship chances be affected. Sounds like a landmark type of civil lawsuit that will be known as the “Mays Case”.

If Mays called the parent, then he will likely be fired. Clearly, he would have done so to recruit the player, to give Ashland a better chance to win, and to gain more notoriety for himself. The intent of the phone call means more than the contents of it unless Mays offered financial benefits to come to Ashland. I’m sure Mays did his best to sell his program during the call. Who called who, though, tells the story.

The perverse motivation behind this whole situation, though, falls on:

1) the misplaced dreams of players thinking they’re better than they really are until reality hits and they spend their remaining days blaming injuries, coaches, or someone else as to why they didn’t “make it”,

2) parents who dream of championships and D-1 scholarships from youth leagues up and do absolutely anything to try to get there including holding their kids back for sports and moving and transferring freely, and

3) ego-driven coaches who create their own fiefdoms becoming “big fish in little ponds” and enjoying the glory gained from that.

Just human nature on display on all accounts.

The irony in this situation is not lost, too, that the Boyd girls basketball team has been and continues to be populated by many players from the West Virginia Thunder and Marshall University connections that the coach/AD has made over the years. Also, didn’t the Boyd boys win the region a few years ago thanks to Fairland’s best player transferring for his senior season? Whew…pot…meet kettle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • Appalachian Cat
(06-06-2022, 09:06 AM)16thregioner Wrote: Who called who? 

If the parent called Mays and recorded the conversation, then it was clearly done with the intent to entrap Mays, to try to make the senior who already went to Ashland ineligible, and to give Boyd a better chance to win.  It doesn’t seem to be illegal in Kentucky to do what the parent did.  It will be an interesting case, though, should Mays lose his job or the senior player’s scholarship chances be affected.  Sounds like a landmark type of civil lawsuit that will be known as the “Mays Case”.

If Mays called the parent, then he will likely be fired.  Clearly, he would have done so to recruit the player, to give Ashland a better chance to win, and to gain more notoriety for himself.  The intent of the phone call means more than the contents of it unless Mays offered financial benefits to come to Ashland.  I’m sure Mays did his best to sell his program during the call.  Who called who, though, tells the story.

1) the misplaced dreams of players thinking they’re better than they really are until reality hits and they spend their remaining days blaming injuries, coaches, or someone else as to why they didn’t “make it”,

2) parents who dream of championships and D-1 scholarships from youth leagues up and do absolutely anything to try to get there including holding their kids back for sports and moving and transferring freely, and

3) ego-driven coaches who create their own fiefdoms becoming “big fish in little ponds” and enjoying the glory gained from that. 

The irony in this situation is not lost, too, that the Boyd girls basketball team has been and continues to be populated by many players from the West Virginia Thunder and Marshall University connections that the coach/AD has made over the years.  Also, didn’t the Boyd boys win the region a few years ago thanks to Fairland’s best player transferring for his senior season?  Whew…pot…meet kettle.
The Fairland boy that transferred got kicked off his Fairland team, so needed somewhere to go, that was controversial yes. And you're spot on about the Girls program, they are just as guilty....BUT maybe smart enough to not do it over the phone  Smile . Just kidding, sort of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • 16thregioner
Everything about this post is spot on. 100% facts!
(06-06-2022, 12:23 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:

Putting your kid in the "best program" has nothing to do with what happened. Recruiting is against KHSAA guidelines. Not transferring your kid. The coach is being investigated because of recruiting, not because a parent put their kid in the best program around.
Federal Wiretap Act 1986:

It is a federal crime to wiretap or to use a machine to capture the communications of others without court approval, unless one of the parties has given their prior consent. It is likewise a federal crime to use or disclose any information acquired by illegal wiretapping or electronic eavesdropping.
(06-06-2022, 02:49 PM)The Scoop Wrote: Federal Wiretap Act 1986:

It is a federal crime to wiretap or to use a machine to capture the communications of others without court approval, unless one of the parties has given their prior consent. It is likewise a federal crime to use or disclose any information acquired by illegal wiretapping or electronic eavesdropping.
Kentucky is a "one party consent" state, which means if you are the one involved in the conversation you can record it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • The Scoop

Nothing done wrong.  ONE party gave their consent obviously. The one recording.  Nothing illegal about recording a conversation that I’m awareness of.  Could you record a conversation between 2 people with out either knowing? No. That’s how I understand it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes predict_proba's post:
  • The Scoop
(06-06-2022, 03:03 PM)Fanman Wrote:

Kentucky is a "one party consent" state, which means if you are the one involved in the conversation you can record it
Kentucky is a one party consent state but you can’t use that recording to cause harm to the second party.  That is exactly what he done.  It was used to cause harm.  Lawyer Up!!

If the parent called Mays and recorded the conversation, then it was clearly done with the intent to entrap Mays, to try to make the senior who already went to Ashland ineligible, and to give Boyd a better chance to win.  It doesn’t seem to be illegal in Kentucky to do what the parent did.  It will be an interesting case, though, should Mays lose his job or the senior player’s scholarship chances be affected.  Sounds like a landmark type of civil lawsuit that will be known as the “Mays Case”.

If Mays called the parent, then he will likely be fired.  Clearly, he would have done so to recruit the player, to give Ashland a better chance to win, and to gain more notoriety for himself.  The intent of the phone call means more than the contents of it unless Mays offered financial benefits to come to Ashland.  I’m sure Mays did his best to sell his program during the call.  Who called who, though, tells the story.

The irony in this situation is not lost, too, that the Boyd girls basketball team has been and continues to be populated by many players from the West Virginia Thunder and Marshall University connections that the coach/AD has made over the years.  Also, didn’t the Boyd boys win the region a few years ago thanks to Fairland’s best player transferring for his senior season?  Whew…pot…meet kettle.
Mays did not call the parent. The parent called Mays. Mays was on vacation in South Carolina with his family when he received the phone call from the parent. The guy must have had a pre-planned-baiting agenda because he recorded the conversation. 
From what I’m hearing there’s really nothing in the conversation of any substance. Mostly just coach talk. The Ashland administrators seem to be okay with it.

(06-06-2022, 12:41 PM)Fanman Wrote:

Putting your kid in the "best program" has nothing to do with what happened. Recruiting is against KHSAA guidelines. Not transferring your kid. The coach is being investigated because of recruiting, not because a parent put their kid in the best program around.
How do you twist a parent making a phone call to a coach, I suppose to promote his son, into the coach recruiting the kid?? According to the people I have talked to that has heard the recording there’s nothing of interest in it. My guess is the “investigation “ you have mentioned has done been completed.
(06-07-2022, 12:12 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:

Mays did not call the parent. The parent called Mays. Mays was on vacation in South Carolina with his family when he received the phone call from the parent. The guy must have had a pre-planned-baiting agenda because he recorded the conversation. 
From what I’m hearing there’s really nothing in the conversation of any substance. Mostly just coach talk. The Ashland administrators seem to be okay with it.

(06-06-2022, 12:41 PM)Fanman Wrote:

How do you twist a parent making a phone call to a coach, I suppose to promote his son, into the coach recruiting the kid?? According to the people I have talked to that has heard the recording there’s nothing of interest in it. My guess is the “investigation “ you have mentioned has done been completed.

so a whole tape with “nothing if interest”.  No reason to not post it publicly then.
This crap is exactly why the KHSAA needs to make things plain and simple. And its really not that difficult to do.

Policy:
Any student-athelete may attend school of their choosing and participate in any sport that the school offers.

Stipulations and privisions:
-Coaches may reach out to student atheletes and their parents. Parents can do the same with prospective coaches.
-No monetary funds can be provided for tuition, scholarships and the like
-No jobs can be provided to or for the parent of the athelete. A parent already on staff may maintain employment should their child transfer from another school.
-Schools cannot make exceptions to grade scale, economic status(boosters), etc.

I really dont see an issue with a coach seeing a kid out and saying "helluva ballplayer, you sure would look good on our side of the field/court...give me a call sometime if you would ever be insterested in a change"

People want to play for coaches and school systems that care. Everywhere isnt for everyone and the grass isnt always greener. Society as a whole no longer has or atleast has very little, loyalty any more. So lets fix the drama and fix the problem.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Appalachian Cat, Bull got out!
Theres too many loop holes and smoke and mirrors to get around the rules.
(06-07-2022, 12:14 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: This crap is exactly why the KHSAA needs to make things plain and simple. And its really not that difficult to do.

Policy:
Any student-athelete may attend school of their choosing and participate in any sport that the school offers.

Stipulations and privisions:
-Coaches may reach out to student atheletes and their parents. Parents can do the same with prospective coaches.
-No monetary funds can be provided for tuition, scholarships and the like
-No jobs can be provided to or for the parent of the athelete. A parent already on staff may maintain employment should their child transfer from another school.
-Schools cannot make exceptions to grade scale, economic status(boosters), etc.

I really dont see an issue with a coach seeing a kid out and saying "helluva ballplayer, you sure would look good on our side of the field/court...give me a call sometime if you would ever be insterested in a change"

People want to play for coaches and school systems that care. Everywhere isnt for everyone and the grass isnt always greener. Society as a whole no longer has or atleast has very little, loyalty any more. So lets fix the drama and fix the problem.

I don't see any problem with just letting them be high school players and cheering for them instead of trying to live vicariously through them.
I gotta agree with you there. I think thats about 80% of the issue with most of all this. Its way beyond being proud. Im all for providing your kid with every opportunity possible. But i do not understand the basketball parents. Seems like its worse in this sport. Theres more team shopping than an NBA waiver wire. Amazes me that a 16yo kid could have 3 or 4 schools on their resume.
He recruited.

The problem is you can do it in Kentucky and there is no consequences.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • Fanman
Just release the tape to the public, if it is no big deal then great, move on. No moving on until then...
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next