Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 2022
Nice!
What does,clay return from last yr
Rice at QB and he is a good one! One very talented lineman that will win every battle he faces. Should have overall a nice team.
(02-11-2022, 11:55 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: Rice at QB and he is a good one! One very talented lineman that will win every battle he faces. Should have overall a nice team.
4-6, maybe 5 -5. Big and soft. Not physical. Poor defensively.
Not the strongest schedule and rice should put up decent numbers. First round exit in playoffs this year. HC will show up this year with one full year of MAC at the helm and JC is JC.
(02-11-2022, 07:00 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Not the strongest schedule and rice should put up decent numbers. First round exit in playoffs this year. HC will show up this year with one full year of MAC at the helm and JC is JC.
Can't see them being any better than last year. They haven't been able to stop anyone in years, especially physical teams. Sizemore is great at football speak and most of the people there 
dont care. Football talk won't make you tougher.
(02-11-2022, 10:06 PM)BUFFALO Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 07:00 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Not the strongest schedule and rice should put up decent numbers. First round exit in playoffs this year. HC will show up this year with one full year of MAC at the helm and JC is JC.
Can't see them being any better than last year. They haven't been able to stop anyone in years, especially physical teams. Sizemore is great at football speak and most of the people there 

Smile
Clay County folks I know, love football.
All i can tell you is that the coach at HC was never gave an opportunity to show his ability to help players at bell as a head coach cause he arrived so late, same with the team last year he was hired in May. One year of full development in the weight room makes a difference within a program, and seeing some of the players that he built from the ground up at bell that graduated in 2020 and 2021, i’m sure he can do it again. I have faith that he can put them in a position to win more and more games a year, starting with clay.
(02-11-2022, 11:36 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
All i can tell you is that the coach at HC was never gave an opportunity to show his ability to help players at bell as a head coach cause he arrived so late, same with the team last year he was hired in May. One year of full development in the weight room makes a difference within a program, and seeing some of the players that he built from the ground up at bell that graduated in 2020 and 2021, i’m sure he can do it again. I have faith that he can put them in a position to win more and more games a year, starting with clay.

So that Hc coach only had a short time and then went straight into the regular season, kinda like training on the fly, WOW!
Who are the teams they ply, I can’t recognize some of the mascots or initial
(02-10-2022, 05:00 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Nice!

Aug 5th vs Whitley County (S)
Aug 12 vs Williamsburg (S)

Aug 19 @ Knox Central 
Aug 26 vs Leslie County
Sep 2 vs Lynn Camp 
Sep 9 vs Pike County Central
Sep 16 Open
Sep 23 @ Harlan County (D)
Sep 30 vs Johnson Central (D)
Oct 7 @ Letcher County Central (D)
Oct 14 vs Perry County Central (D)
Oct 21 vs Magoffin County
Oct 28 @ Garrard County
I can see 6-8 wins on there with some breaks. A couple players should really have good seasons this fall.
(02-12-2022, 10:15 PM)Hogsnot Wrote: I can see 6-8 wins on there with some breaks. A couple players should really have good seasons this fall.
 Who knows but 8 wins ain't happening. I'm struggling to find 6. 3 out of their first 4 are very possible, then could only win 1 more and 1 more might be tough if the dangerous Magoffin Co. Hornets can improve under Derosset. Winning will be tough at Clay with Sizemore unless he can talk his way into some victories. Talking ain't enough when you go on the field, you have to play.
(02-12-2022, 10:53 PM)BUFFALO Wrote: Who knows but 8 wins ain't happening. I'm struggling to find 6. 3 out of their first 4 are very possible, then could only win 1 more and 1 more might be tough if the dangerous Magoffin Co. Hornets can improve under Derosset. Winning will be tough at Clay with Sizemore unless he can talk his way into some victories. Talking ain't enough when you go on the field, you have to play.

Clay County has beaten everyone in their district from 2019 forward with the exception of Johnson Central. It’s really hard to argue that they should be getting past the Golden Eagles right now.
Clay Football is being rebuilt as if it never existed, they went through like 6 coaches in 4 years, Sizemore has now been there a few years, with the majority of one of those years in a pandemic, combine this with a dismal administration who failed to organize any feeder programs, it's been a complete mess.

Now with the renovation of the turf and major upgrades to the stadium looming, I can see Clay on an uptick, give them some time. I'm not saying they'll be beating up on Johnson Central or Corbin anytime soon or any other state powers for that matter but they are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were. Clay is losing tons of its young working families, they're moving for more opportunity, I don't blame them, the possibility for Clay to drop to 3A next rotation could be a possibility.
4 wins
Leslie
Lynn Camp
Pike Central
Magoffin
(02-13-2022, 12:16 PM)Fan of many Wrote: 4 wins
Leslie
Lynn Camp
Pike Central
Magoffin
Yep. 4 wins.
I believe somewhere between 7 or 8 maybe 9 starters are back on both sides of the ball. I'm saying those 4 and possibly Harlan County. Perry, Garrard, and Knox are tossups and should probably be close. Letcher will be tough on the road and JC is still JC and nobody in EKY is touching them. Knox won by a score in the opening game and Garrard scored with no time on the clock to win when there was a couple starters out at the very end of the season. It is realistic to think some of those could be changed to wins going into this fall with the amount of underclassmen that played. Either way it's good to see the boys from Manchester being mentioned again.
You will get cheated at Harlan Co, and Letcher. Count those as losses
I believe knox central will come out firing with their new staff. They lose some contribution but they hired a coach early and a good one in that, which means the players have time to become accommodated and bond with the coach. Clay won’t be as competitive this year most likely against them and harlan.
(02-14-2022, 12:38 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: I believe knox central will come out firing with their new staff. They lose some contribution but they hired a coach early and a good one in that, which means the players have time to become accommodated and bond with the coach. Clay won’t be as competitive this year most likely against them and harlan.
I believe you are right about Knox Central. If Clay County is ever going to be competitive, the time is now. Rice is what any team would want as a QB. He can run , but if I were a coach, he would lead the district in passing. Now that’s just me, he has a arm. Then I’ll go to there line. I read where Buffalo said they were soft. Andrew Roberts and the Fultz kid are far from soft. The problem I see is Sizemore is a offensive minded coach but he needs to get out of his own way and let some assistant coaches help some. He needs to hire a defense coordinator. I’ll agree, there defense is lacking in a big way to pull out those close games. But that’s on the coach. He has some good players.
With the exception of Johnson Central and Corbin, Clay County has won more than the vast majority of teams in their region the past couple years. It looks like Clay turned the corner around 2019 when they went 7-4 and since that time Wayne Co. has won 18 games, Letcher Co. 17 and Clay Co. with 16.

Clay County has won more games than Lincoln, Knox, Harlan Co. and Perry. It’s hard to argue that Clay hasn’t put a consistent and competitive team on the field recently. Hopefully they can keep it going and improving.
(02-14-2022, 08:00 PM)DarthVader Wrote: With the exception of Johnson Central and Corbin, Clay County has won more than the vast majority of teams in their region the past couple years. It looks like Clay turned the corner around 2019 when they went 7-4 and since that time Wayne Co. has won 18 games, Letcher Co. 17 and Clay Co. with 16.

Clay County has won more games than Lincoln, Knox, Harlan Co. and Perry. It’s hard to argue that Clay hasn’t put a consistent and competitive team on the field recently. Hopefully they can keep it going and improving.
Who have they beaten? In the past few years Clay has become one of the best scheduling teams around. Magoffin,  Pike, Lynn Camp to name a few. This year is the same and they still are looking at 4-5 wins. Contracts are up this year. With Clay's reputation they'll probably have more like these step into that role. He's good at scheduling.
(02-14-2022, 09:02 PM)BUFFALO Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 08:00 PM)DarthVader Wrote: With the exception of Johnson Central and Corbin, Clay County has won more than the vast majority of teams in their region the past couple years. It looks like Clay turned the corner around 2019 when they went 7-4 and since that time Wayne Co. has won 18 games, Letcher Co. 17 and Clay Co. with 16.

Who have they beaten? In the past few years Clay has become one of the best scheduling teams around. Magoffin,  Pike, Lynn Camp to name a few. This year is the same and they still are looking at 4-5 wins. Contracts are up this year. With Clay's reputation they'll probably have more like these step into that role. He's good at scheduling.

Most of those teams appear to be nearly identical in terms of size and population with Clay County, why not schedule? It wasn’t a long time ago that Clay was getting mercy ruled by very, very bad football teams on a weekly basis.

On the flip side, should Clay County be scheduling to not win at least 4 or more? I don’t see how that would build a football program, especially one that’s struggled over the years.
(02-14-2022, 05:32 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 12:38 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: I believe knox central will come out firing with their new staff. They lose some contribution but they hired a coach early and a good one in that, which means the players have time to become accommodated and bond with the coach. Clay won’t be as competitive this year most likely against them and harlan.
I believe you are right about Knox Central. If Clay County is ever going to be competitive, the time is now. Rice is what any team would want as a QB. He can run , but if I were a coach, he would lead the district in passing. Now that’s just me, he has a arm. Then I’ll go to there line. I read where Buffalo said they were soft. Andrew Roberts and the Fultz kid are far from soft. The problem I see is Sizemore is a offensive minded coach but he needs to get out of his own way and let some assistant coaches help some. He needs to hire a defense coordinator. I’ll agree, there defense is lacking in a big way to pull out those close games. But that’s on the coach. He has some good players.
I agree that they have an amount of talent that could win throwing the ball. Rice running will be a threat but there’s holes up front other than 2-3. You have to have a unit of 5 beasts and 1-2 backups to be dangerous running the ball in the district but when rice uses both his arm and legs, he’s scary.
I liked how he was used his freshman year. Short passes were dangerous. Still are and will always be. Not saying he can't throw longer passes but why throw down field every play when you can move the ball with the short passing game that sets up their running game as well. I would be working my passing plays to compliment Rice. Every team I know wants a good QB. Clay County has one. So, like you are saying you have to have 5 beasts up front, Clay has a couple that can beat anyone in front of them, but not 5. So that's where you keep the opposing defenses on their toes with the passing game. To me most of these teams overthink their teams to the point they are just one big struggle. I had rather be good at 3-5 plays and run them so well that the opposing team has a hard time stopping them rather than have a whole unused playbook that the team struggles running half the plays.
(02-15-2022, 05:27 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I liked how he was used his freshman year. Short passes were dangerous. Still are and will always be. Not saying he can't throw longer passes but why throw down field every play when you can move the ball with the short passing game that sets up their running game as well. I would be working my passing plays to compliment Rice. Every team I know wants a good QB. Clay County has one. So, like you are saying you have to have 5 beasts up front, Clay has a couple that can beat anyone in front of them, but not 5. So that's where you keep the opposing defenses on their toes with the passing game. To me most of these teams overthink their teams to the point they are just one big struggle. I had rather be good at 3-5 plays and run them so well that the opposing team has a hard time stopping them rather than have a whole unused playbook that the team struggles running half the plays.
I agree. I've always said keep it simple. When I played they gave us a big thick playbook to try to learn, and I think that's craziness.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Bull got out!
(02-13-2022, 07:50 PM)Fan of many Wrote: You will get cheated at Harlan Co, and Letcher. Count those as losses
What year did Clay get cheated at Harlan County?
(02-15-2022, 05:27 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I liked how he was used his freshman year. Short passes were dangerous. Still are and will always be. Not saying he can't throw longer passes but why throw down field every play when you can move the ball with the short passing game that sets up their running game as well. I would be working my passing plays to compliment Rice. Every team I know wants a good QB. Clay County has one. So, like you are saying you have to have 5 beasts up front, Clay has a couple that can beat anyone in front of them, but not 5. So that's where you keep the opposing defenses on their toes with the passing game. To me most of these teams overthink their teams to the point they are just one big struggle. I had rather be good at 3-5 plays and run them so well that the opposing team has a hard time stopping them rather than have a whole unused playbook that the team struggles running half the plays.
I agree, maybe more than 3 plays tho unless you are belfry/JC Smile