• Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Job: Head Coach, Magoffin County
(11-16-2021, 05:21 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 04:42 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 03:15 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 02:32 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 11:49 AM)Darth Hater Wrote: You left out some of the more recent heart breakers that they definitely should have won!
2012 2nd round vs Danville home 14 - 16 loss
2013 Somerset Regional Championship home 
.         21 - 28 loss
2014 Shelby Valley Regional Championship away
          14 - 20 loss
A few short years after that an entire class of kids loss to Paintsville. 
Very unfortunate series of events.
Give us a name of who you think would be a good hire. You obviously have something against Derosett.
When you put it that way it seems like you have something against facts. ?
No, I just don’t care what happened the last few years at Pburg. You keep bringing up a group of boys that transferred to Paintsville. Not one of those boys played a snap at Prestonsburg High School under John Derosett. Kids leave Johnson Central to go to Paintsville before they get to high school, but no one ever said it was because of Matney, it’s always “they were recruited.” This same group of boys you keep bringing up were said to have been recruited. Which is it? Did they leave because they didn’t wanna play for a guy they had never played a down for, or were they recruited?
I’d go with recruited if I was them lol I’d be embarrassed to say I left because a coach, that is like that Floyd County Bball team a few years ago quiting and getting their coach fired cause he was an actual coach and disciplined them and used a few bad words.
This is an interesting statement because the insinuation is that the kids/players were not able to play for the coach/coaches because the coach/coaches had "too much" discipline or that they were "too much" of a coach who got angry and used "bad words" for what was state championship caliber talent. Don't forget that they were recruited too. That is typically the next excuse to follow.
(11-16-2021, 10:23 PM)MountainMusic Wrote: This is pretty simple and straight forward to me. I don’t want to sound like a Derossett detractor I don’t know the man, only met him a few times. The proof is in the pudding, it was more than just a few parents being the reason he was fired. Ask around to the people who were there. There was serious allegations put on him and coaching staff. When someone is being considered for a position the best place to ask is previous employers. I believe if that is done then you’re answer becomes clear. He may bring some discipline, he may bring a few wins but when the dust settles it will be the same thing it always is and that’s an ugly ending with him being the one disciplined. I want mountain football to be great and if he’s hired I wish magoffin the best but as a Floyd county alum and someone who’s lived here all my life there’s just more bad than good when it comes to him. He applied before and someone less qualified was hired? Why would there be any different outcome this time. There are reasons.
Politics is the reason, good ole boy system. Hire your cousin or the local electrician, doctor, lawyer, carpenter, etc that has always lived here that has minimal time for the kids. I’m not trying to argue I just think he would be a great fit let him turn the program around. Ask everyone pre 2016 or whatever year that stuff supposedly happened and I’m sure they won’t have many Ill words. Coached for decades and nobody said a word till the last few years he was there. Prestonsburg hasn’t been close to a contender since he left, can’t be transfers outside of that one class everyone’s still there. On his way out the door he was still giving those kids everything they needed or wanted. Facilities, equipment, trips, the list goes on.
(11-16-2021, 10:42 PM)No Gold River Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 10:23 PM)MountainMusic Wrote: This is pretty simple and straight forward to me. I don’t want to sound like a Derossett detractor I don’t know the man, only met him a few times. The proof is in the pudding, it was more than just a few parents being the reason he was fired. Ask around to the people who were there. There was serious allegations put on him and coaching staff. When someone is being considered for a position the best place to ask is previous employers. I believe if that is done then you’re answer becomes clear. He may bring some discipline, he may bring a few wins but when the dust settles it will be the same thing it always is and that’s an ugly ending with him being the one disciplined. I want mountain football to be great and if he’s hired I wish magoffin the best but as a Floyd county alum and someone who’s lived here all my life there’s just more bad than good when it comes to him. He applied before and someone less qualified was hired? Why would there be any different outcome this time. There are reasons.
Politics is the reason, good ole boy system. Hire your cousin or the local electrician, doctor, lawyer, carpenter, etc that has always lived here that has minimal time for the kids. I’m not trying to argue I just think he would be a great fit let him turn the program around. Ask everyone pre 2016 or whatever year that stuff supposedly happened and I’m sure they won’t have many Ill words. Coached for decades and nobody said a word till the last few years he was there. Prestonsburg hasn’t been close to a contender since he left, can’t be transfers outside of that one class everyone’s still there. On his way out the door he was still giving those kids everything they needed or wanted. Facilities, equipment, trips, the list goes on.
Same here, not trying to argue I just think it’s not as simple as hiring him because he’s qualified. The guy comes with baggage and I think anyone who is objective about it can say that and from track record once you hire him there will be an inevitable fall out to follow. But…the options may be limited. I don’t see a ton of quality coaches leaping to take that one.
(11-16-2021, 09:52 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 05:47 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 05:21 PM)Gold River Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 04:42 PM)Redneck Wrote: No, I just don’t care what happened the last few years at Pburg. You keep bringing up a group of boys that transferred to Paintsville. Not one of those boys played a snap at Prestonsburg High School under John Derosett. Kids leave Johnson Central to go to Paintsville before they get to high school, but no one ever said it was because of Matney, it’s always “they were recruited.” This same group of boys you keep bringing up were said to have been recruited. Which is it? Did they leave because they didn’t wanna play for a guy they had never played a down for, or were they recruited?
I’d go with recruited if I was them lol I’d be embarrassed to say I left because a coach, that is like that Floyd County Bball team a few years ago quiting and getting their coach fired cause he was an actual coach and disciplined them and used a few bad words.
According to all of my buddies from Pburg, that’s why kids left Derosett. He was too hard on his players. But, I ain’t gonna say the group of boys that went Paintsville weren’t tough, because they were absolutely tougher than new rope.
I think one or two was apart of that small groups of parents that just didn’t like him for other reasons off the field and then it was a chain reaction from there. But to get back to Magoffin if I was them I’d eat a football to have him, they have never had anything close and this may be their only opportunity to have it.
Me personally, I agree. I’m a Paintsville alumni. I do not know Coach Derosett personally. I am friends with most of the guys from Pburg my age. I played against them. I attended a lot of Pburg games after I graduated with those friends of mine. I have alot of respect for John and his teams. Being a parent of 2 boys that attend Magoffin County schools, I would love to see them hire Derosett. I know there are many others at Magoffin that agree.
I guarantee a Paintsville Alum would love to see him hired within 25 miles of Paintsville. The tigers made a living off him for sure.
(11-16-2021, 11:14 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 05:21 PM)Gold River Wrote: I’d go with recruited if I was them lol I’d be embarrassed to say I left because a coach, that is like that Floyd County Bball team a few years ago quiting and getting their coach fired cause he was an actual coach and disciplined them and used a few bad words.
According to all of my buddies from Pburg, that’s why kids left Derosett. He was too hard on his players. But, I ain’t gonna say the group of boys that went Paintsville weren’t tough, because they were absolutely tougher than new rope.
I think one or two was apart of that small groups of parents that just didn’t like him for other reasons off the field and then it was a chain reaction from there. But to get back to Magoffin if I was them I’d eat a football to have him, they have never had anything close and this may be their only opportunity to have it.
Me personally, I agree. I’m a Paintsville alumni. I do not know Coach Derosett personally. I am friends with most of the guys from Pburg my age. I played against them. I attended a lot of Pburg games after I graduated with those friends of mine. I have alot of respect for John and his teams. Being a parent of 2 boys that attend Magoffin County schools, I would love to see them hire Derosett. I know there are many others at Magoffin that agree.
I guarantee a Paintsville Alum would love to see him hired within 25 miles of Paintsville. The tigers made a living off him for sure.
The Tigers are gonna be fine regardless. So once again I’m asking you, name a young coach that could this joke of a program around.
(11-16-2021, 05:21 PM)Gold River Wrote: I’d go with recruited if I was them lol I’d be embarrassed to say I left because a coach, that is like that Floyd County Bball team a few years ago quiting and getting their coach fired cause he was an actual coach and disciplined them and used a few bad words.
Names pretty fitting…how about you go coach Magoffin. You can bring treats and bug juices every practice and at the end of the 1-9 season give out participation trophies to the 13 kids you can drag out to be on the team. Did you not read he has two boys at Magoffin, im sure he cares more about helping Paintsville than his own boys. Cmon man
Again, I’d let my kids play for him in a heartbeat. I will say this. If Magoffin fools around and makes the wrong hire, mine won’t be there much longer. If they don’t wanna football serious, we ain’t wasting our time.
As someone who played for Derossett, I can assure you that the alumni at Prestonsburg are grateful for everything Derossett did for us and our program. Was he perfect? No, far from it. He's a flawed man, just like all of us. But he cared deeply about every kid who ever played for him and I feel that he would have done anything for any of us, even up to this day. He's a deeply clannish, old school Appalachian man, for better and for worse. His clannishness is likely what cost him the Prestonsburg job. Hater seems to be arguing that if he gets the Magoffin job then all the good Magoffin players will leave, but for the majority of his Pburg career it was kids from Paintsville, JC and Pikeville that were coming TO Pburg to play for a good coach, not the other way around.

We're talking about Magoffin county here... the traditional whipping boy of every district they've ever been in. What do they have to lose from hiring a coach with some old school baggage who has proven that he can take a program to the highest level?
[-] The following 3 users Like Red and Black's post:
  • Redneck, Westside, wolfcat
(11-17-2021, 09:19 AM)Red and Black Wrote: As someone who played for Derossett, I can assure you that the alumni at Prestonsburg are grateful for everything Derossett did for us and our program. Was he perfect? No, far from it. He's a flawed man, just like all of us. But he cared deeply about every kid who ever played for him and I feel that he would have done anything for any of us, even up to this day. He's a deeply clannish, old school Appalachian man, for better and for worse. His clannishness is likely what cost him the Prestonsburg job. Hater seems to be arguing that if he gets the Magoffin job then all the good Magoffin players will leave, but for the majority of his Pburg career it was kids from Paintsville, JC and Pikeville that were coming TO Pburg to play for a good coach, not the other way around.

We're talking about Magoffin county here... the traditional whipping boy of every district they've ever been in. What do they have to lose from hiring a coach with some old school baggage who has proven that he can take a program to the highest level?

Maybe Prestonsburg should hire Derossett back since they suck now.
(11-17-2021, 04:49 AM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Redneck Wrote: According to all of my buddies from Pburg, that’s why kids left Derosett. He was too hard on his players. But, I ain’t gonna say the group of boys that went Paintsville weren’t tough, because they were absolutely tougher than new rope.
Again, I’d let my kids play for him in a heartbeat. I will say this. If Magoffin fools around and makes the wrong hire, mine won’t be there much longer. If they don’t wanna football serious, we ain’t wasting our time.
With all due respect if that’s the top candidate I’m sure any hire they make will be the “wrong” hire. But I agree it is tough. You all are in an interesting predicament where there’s just not a lot of quality people interested. Which the he case for a lot of schools on this area. Being from Floyd county myself, that’s usually the case.
(11-17-2021, 02:21 PM)MountainMusic Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 04:49 AM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 05:47 PM)Gold River Wrote: I think one or two was apart of that small groups of parents that just didn’t like him for other reasons off the field and then it was a chain reaction from there. But to get back to Magoffin if I was them I’d eat a football to have him, they have never had anything close and this may be their only opportunity to have it.
With all due respect if that’s the top candidate I’m sure any hire they make will be the “wrong” hire. But I agree it is tough. You all are in an interesting predicament where there’s just not a lot of quality people interested. Which the he case for a lot of schools on this area. Being from Floyd county myself, that’s usually the case.
There are a few I wouldn’t mind seeing, but like you said, none are interested.
(11-17-2021, 12:31 PM)jamesclay Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 09:19 AM)Red and Black Wrote: As someone who played for Derossett, I can assure you that the alumni at Prestonsburg are grateful for everything Derossett did for us and our program. Was he perfect? No, far from it. He's a flawed man, just like all of us. But he cared deeply about every kid who ever played for him and I feel that he would have done anything for any of us, even up to this day. He's a deeply clannish, old school Appalachian man, for better and for worse. His clannishness is likely what cost him the Prestonsburg job. Hater seems to be arguing that if he gets the Magoffin job then all the good Magoffin players will leave, but for the majority of his Pburg career it was kids from Paintsville, JC and Pikeville that were coming TO Pburg to play for a good coach, not the other way around.

Maybe Prestonsburg should hire Derossett back since they suck now.

That's a bridge so badly burnt that they cant even find the ashes, my friend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red and Black's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Now that the job has officially been posted for a few days, has anyone heard any names other than the ones already mentioned that actually do want the job?
I’m hearing a decision has already been made. I really hope this isn’t the case. I’m gonna wait on some confirmation before I release the name.
(11-19-2021, 09:30 PM)Redneck Wrote: I’m hearing a decision has already been made. I really hope this isn’t the case. I’m gonna wait on some confirmation before I release the name.
They will stop taking applications next week. A selection committee will go through the applications and scratch the ones they don’t want. They will then begin doing interviews with the potential candidates. They plan on naming a coach before Christmas break. That’s what I was told by a very reliable source. 
The above “quote” of myself is still a rumor floating around, and it seems more and more legit every day. Hopefully it’s wrong.
From the outside looking in I don't see Magoffin hiring Derossett, this is based on a combination of his "baggage" and the known politics that go with these decisions.  As far as I know there aren't any connections between the two sides.  John is quite the polarizing figure but you can't deny the fact that he still has the desire to coach and I believe that he would be successful at Magoffin County.
(12-01-2021, 10:44 AM)The Scoop Wrote: From the outside looking in I don't see Magoffin hiring Derossett, this is based on a combination of his "baggage" and the known politics that go with these decisions.  As far as I know there aren't any connections between the two sides.  John is quite the polarizing figure but you can't deny the fact that he still has the desire to coach and I believe that he would be successful at Magoffin County.
There are some in the community that are using the “baggage” and the group of boys that left Pburg for Paintsville against him. I too believe that he would be successful at Magoffin. Some say kids would leave Magoffin like they did at Pburg at the end of his tenure. Who is gonna leave, the kids that aren’t coming out for football as it is? Lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • The Scoop
(12-01-2021, 10:44 AM)The Scoop Wrote: From the outside looking in I don't see Magoffin hiring Derossett, this is based on a combination of his "baggage" and the known politics that go with these decisions.  As far as I know there aren't any connections between the two sides.  John is quite the polarizing figure but you can't deny the fact that he still has the desire to coach and I believe that he would be successful at Magoffin County.
Baggage is more then kids leaving, can he co-exist with other teams and coaches?  Part of the so called baggage is he supposedly could not handle the success of the baseball coach at PBurg which resulted in the loss of one of the best baseball coaches in the region and the gutting of the program. There is quiet a bit of stuff to consider before hiring Coach Derossett, I also believe he would be successful if hired but there are definitely legitimate concerns that would need to be addressed by administration before the hire. 

I would also like to see the administration consider young coach with a football background.  It would be great job for young coach, no real pressure to win in the beginning, time to build program leading up to arrival of the seemingly very good middle and grade school classes.  I have no idea if any have applied, I would love to see someone like Jordan Ray or Blake Gamble apply, someone who is young, has passion for the game, and could be in the building with the kids, someone who has the desire to do the work necessary to have success.  I believe the job could be good stepping stone for such a young man.
[-] The following 2 users Like kai's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, The Scoop
(12-01-2021, 03:10 PM)kai Wrote:
Baggage is more then kids leaving, can he co-exist with other teams and coaches?  Part of the so called baggage is he supposedly could not handle the success of the baseball coach at PBurg which resulted in the loss of one of the best baseball coaches in the region and the gutting of the program. There is quiet a bit of stuff to consider before hiring Coach Derossett, I also believe he would be successful if hired but there are definitely legitimate concerns that would need to be addressed by administration before the hire. 

I would also like to see the administration consider young coach with a football background.  It would be great job for young coach, no real pressure to win in the beginning, time to build program leading up to arrival of the seemingly very good middle and grade school classes.  I have no idea if any have applied, I would love to see someone like Jordan Ray or Blake Gamble apply, someone who is young, has passion for the game, and could be in the building with the kids, someone who has the desire to do the work necessary to have success.  I believe the job could be good stepping stone for such a young man.
Either one of those young men would be fine in my book. A plus to hiring either one of them would be WRESTLING, a sport that Magoffin needs to start.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • The Scoop
If John Derossett has applied for the job then I think the admin at MCHS would be crazy not to give him a interview.

The guy can flat out coach and develop players. No one can deny that and I believe he’d have Magoffin playing at a level they’re not used to.

But, if you’re a administrator you have to address the claims that are out there and allow coach John to tell his story and not rely on BGR for who you hire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Redneck
Jordan Ray is going to be one heckuva head coach whenever he decides that he’s ready.

He played under Derossett at Prestonsburg and has been a assistant under Joe Chirico for several seasons at Paintsville and now GRC.
  • Redneck
(12-01-2021, 05:03 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Jordan Ray is going to be one heckuva head coach whenever he decides that he’s ready.

He played under Derossett at Prestonsburg and has been a assistant under Joe Chirico for several seasons at Paintsville and now GRC.
Jordan will without a doubt make a good head coach.  I won't argue either side as to the coaching style or personality of the Derossett's but you can't deny that they are great football minds!  Another young couch that came up under them is at Betsy Layne with Jarrad Jarrell, and I believe they may have just had their best season in several years in his first year.
(12-01-2021, 05:27 PM)The Scoop Wrote:
(12-01-2021, 05:03 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Jordan Ray is going to be one heckuva head coach whenever he decides that he’s ready.

Jordan will without a doubt make a good head coach.  I won't argue either side as to the coaching style or personality of the Derossett's but you can't deny that they are great football minds!  Another young couch that came up under them is at Betsy Layne with Jarrad Jarrell, and I believe they may have just had their best season in several years in his first year.
I agree. 

Jarrell is a players coach, as most of these younger coaches are. He’s going go through his ups and downs, but he’s going to have Betsy Layne playing good ball for a long time. His tallest task is keeping kids from going to Pikeville. Betsy Layne has always had great athletes, but they either leave or the high school never develops them. I think Jarrell can start developing them.
  • The Scoop
Derossett can't be much worse than a hometown barber running the show.
(12-02-2021, 11:58 AM)MissingBallot Wrote: Derossett can't be much worse than a hometown barber running the show.

Ah at least the barber has a lot of good stories to share.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Gold River
I remember watching jarrell and ray play in high school. Jerrell may be solid if he wanted it. At least he has experience. I worry about Ray’s experience. Being at one school with only one coach would seem to limit what he has learned in order to lead a program. What about the coach at Phelps. I head they may not have enough to field a team. I’ve heard he’s a pretty smart coach and has much more experience than either of the other?? Has anyone even heard who has officially applied?
(12-02-2021, 05:59 PM)MountainMusic Wrote: I remember watching jarrell and ray play in high school. Jerrell may be solid if he wanted it. At least he has experience. I worry about Ray’s experience. Being at one school with only one coach would seem to limit what he has learned in order to lead a program. What about the coach at Phelps. I head they may not have enough to field a team. I’ve heard he’s a pretty smart coach and has much more experience than either of the other?? Has anyone even heard who has officially applied?
What was Jarrell’s experience before taking over at Betsy Layne?

I got a list of names last week from a source, but I asked the AD who all had applied and he told me that he hadn’t even looked and wasn’t gonna look until the deadline to apply was up.
(12-03-2021, 10:47 AM)Redneck Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 05:59 PM)MountainMusic Wrote: I remember watching jarrell and ray play in high school. Jerrell may be solid if he wanted it. At least he has experience. I worry about Ray’s experience. Being at one school with only one coach would seem to limit what he has learned in order to lead a program. What about the coach at Phelps. I head they may not have enough to field a team. I’ve heard he’s a pretty smart coach and has much more experience than either of the other?? Has anyone even heard who has officially applied?

I got a list of names last week from a source, but I asked the AD who all had applied and he told me that he hadn’t even looked and wasn’t gonna look until the deadline to apply was up.
I call BS on Mr. West statement there.  He knows who has applied just don't want to get caught up in the rumor mill.   As far as Ray goes not sure if he is even be interested, but the Coach he is learning from is one of the best, I would love to see them take a chance on him.  Ray been right in middle of staff that won state championship, he has seen and experienced the work it takes to get a team to that level.  Not many young coaches will have the same experience, same goes for Gamble (However, don't see him ever leaving JC).

Post the list then.
(12-03-2021, 12:52 PM)jamesclay Wrote:

Post the list then.
John Derosett, needs no intro.
Justin Combs, former Magoffin HC
Jason Wages, former player from back in the 90’s, apparently coached middle school somewhere once upon a time. The favorite to get the job from what I’m hearing.
James Lee Montgomery, current Magoffin assistant.
JC middle school coach? Not sure which one. 
Pburg coach? Not sure which one.
Robert Bailey, former Magoffin player, former Magoffin Elem coach and current Magoffin MS coach. 
Seth Howard, former Magoffin player, helped with the elementary one or two years. 
Nick Marcum, former Magoffin assistant. Mason Lovely’s uncle. 
A guy named Shouse???
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next