Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Trump Pardon Spree
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo....59974.html

Trump walking the high wire with some of these.  I’m sure his lawyers are telling him these people can be compelled to testify against him. Didn’t they...dang I forgot who his lawyers are.
(12-22-2020, 09:56 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo....59974.html

Trump walking the high wire with some of these.  I’m sure his lawyers are telling him these people can be compelled to testify against him. Didn’t they...dang I forgot who his lawyers are.
Trump has issued far fewer pardons than any president since 1900. Have you ever criticized any Democrat for anything or am I just imagining that you are a partisan hack?
(12-22-2020, 11:28 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 09:56 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo....59974.html

Trump has issued far fewer pardons than any president since 1900. Have you ever criticized any Democrat for anything or am I just imagining that you are a partisan hack?

That may be true as of today.  I won’t sign on, because you said it. 

Of course when we talk pardons, we should always ask who is receiving these pardons.  Are they people who have direct ties to criminal inquiries to the president ?  Hmmm....
(12-23-2020, 12:10 AM)Cardfan1 Wrote:

Of course when we talk pardons, we should always ask who is receiving these pardons.  Are they people who have direct ties to criminal inquiries to the president ?  Hmmm....
You never answered the question. You said that Trump is on a pardon spree. Have you ever criticized a Democrat? Where is your evidence that Trump is doing anything unusual for a sitting president?

Trump believes that many of the criminal charges brought against members of his administration were politically motivated and I agree. I think that many victims who were persecuted by the Obama administration should be pardoned. Trump needs to make sure that there is plenty of ink in his pardon pen and get busy.
A dose of perspective.

(12-23-2020, 12:19 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

You never answered the question. You said that Trump is on a pardon spree. Have you ever criticized a Democrat? Where is your evidence that Trump is doing anything unusual for a sitting president?

Trump believes that many of the criminal charges brought against members of his administration were politically motivated and I agree. I think that many victims who were persecuted by the Obama administration should be pardoned. Trump needs to make sure that there is plenty of ink in his pardon pen and get busy.

Democrats have not pardoned enough people charged with federal drug crimes. 

Your criminal- in-chief is pardoning people who have been convicted under his administration.  But also people who participated in his swamp. 

I hope he uses that pen as much as possible. All those people can be brought back under penalty of perjury with no 5th amendment. ?
(12-23-2020, 12:39 AM)Cardfan1 Wrote:

Democrats have not pardoned enough people charged with federal drug crimes. 

Your criminal- in-chief is pardoning people who have been convicted under his administration.  But also people who participated in his swamp. 

I hope he uses that pen as much as possible. All those people can be brought back under penalty of perjury with no 5th amendment. ?
Again, the fact is that you are criticizing Trump, who has pardoned far fewer people than any other president since 1900. Being charged with federal drug crimes is one thing, being Mexican drug lords serving life sentences is another. Those thugs that Obama pardoned were not serving sentences for possessing marijuana or a small amount of cocaine.

I will take your defense of Obama pardoning Mexican drug dealing cartel kingpins as a "No," you never criticize Democrats.  Hypocrisy sinks your position once again. Big Grin

Right. Why would one who surfs a tsunami of contempt ever need to consider facts? LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheRealThing's post:
  • Spirit100

I absolutely have criticized a Democrat.  My separation from my  party’s boot is much farther than you are from Trump’s.  

Currently, Trump is doing what is in his legal duties.

However, who receives these pardons are obviously people who have passed the loyalty test.  The point is he isn’t looking to commute the sentences of people who have reformed themselves and are at the mercy of an antiquated justice system. Nope, Trump is using pardons as a personal tool of reward, so his legion of doom can get back to their treason and get him back in power.
(12-23-2020, 02:09 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote:

I absolutely have criticized a Democrat.  My separation from my  party’s boot is much farther than you are from Trump’s.  

Currently, Trump is doing what is in his legal duties.

However, who receives these pardons are obviously people who have passed the loyalty test.  The point is he isn’t looking to commute the sentences of people who have reformed themselves and are at the mercy of an antiquated justice system. Nope, Trump is using pardons as a personal tool of reward, so his legion of doom can get back to their treason and get him back in power.

No the point is as Hoot already pointed out. All of these people were pronounced guilty ahead of any kind of due process and were charged to get them to turn on the President. The underlying crime and supposed justification for which was faked Russian collusion which for the nth time, is not a crime in the first place. Nonetheless we had the Mueller Probe and the sham impeachment which cleared Trump and implicated Democrats.

Hence the pardon to restore some measure of restitution for those who've suffered great loss for dong nothing except being supposedly free Americans.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What a bunch of malarkey ? No due process? !
Most of these crooks pled guilty and had already benefitted from the vastly different justice system in this nation for the rich.

No one was charged for Russian collusion. I know it’s hard for you to understand, but if you are discovered to be breaking the law during a different investigation, you’re still breaking the law.
(12-23-2020, 05:12 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: What a bunch of malarkey ?  No due process? !
Most of these crooks pled guilty and had already benefitted from the vastly different justice system in this nation for the rich.

No one was charged for Russian collusion.  I know it’s hard for you to understand, but if you are discovered to be breaking the law during a different investigation, you’re still breaking the law.
What an ignorant post. Assuming that federal investigators only use honorable means to elicit guilty pleas is a dangerous misconception, as is assuming that everybody who pleads guilty is guilty. The fact is, most of us cannot afford to pay legal fees over $600/hour for very long, whether the charges are bogus or not.

One of the reasons that charges were dropped against LTG Michael Flynn was that a meeting was disclosed at which the Justice Department discussed whether the goal would be to imprison him or simply destroy his career. That meeting was held before Flynn was questioned and after Mueller knew that Trump had broken no laws. The prosecution of Flynn was entirely political.

If the federal government wants to wreck your life and you are not a very wealthy individual, it will wreck your life.
(12-23-2020, 05:12 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: What a bunch of malarkey ?  No due process? !

No one was charged for Russian collusion.  I know it’s hard for you to understand, but if you are discovered to be breaking the law during a different investigation, you’re still breaking the law.

You can't even insult with any degree of lucidity. I didn't say they didn't get due process. I said they were pronounced guilty prior to due process. Your follow-up being even more absurd, nonetheless deserves a response. Every lib on this board has charged Trump with Russian collusion, on the heels of 4 years worth of it on the part of the left.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fact Russia stole the DNC Emails
Fact Russia gave the emails to wikileaks
Fact wikileaks work with Stone and the Dear Leader to release the emails
Fact that would be collusion
[-] The following 1 user Likes vector#1's post:
  • Cardfan1
(12-23-2020, 05:55 PM)vector#1 Wrote: Fact Russia stole the DNC Emails
Fact you are a liar.
(12-23-2020, 05:36 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

What an ignorant post. Assuming that federal investigators only use honorable means to elicit guilty pleas is a dangerous misconception, as is assuming that everybody who pleads guilty is guilty. The fact is, most of us cannot afford to pay legal fees over $600/hour for very long, whether the charges are bogus or not.

One of the reasons that charges were dropped against LTG Michael Flynn was that a meeting was disclosed at which the Justice Department discussed whether the goal would be to imprison him or simply destroy his career. That meeting was held before Flynn was questioned and after Mueller knew that Trump had broken no laws. The prosecution of Flynn was entirely political.

If the federal government wants to wreck your life and you are not a very wealthy individual, it will wreck your life.

I don’t assume federal investigators use only honorable means.  

They don’t, but it is rich that once those same tactics used on everyone else are used in the elite suddenly it’s not fair.  

These people did not get abused by the justice system. Both served under 30 days for something a regular citizen would have received a year or more.

Fact is they all lied to derail the Mueller investigation, and protect Trump.  

How about the other pardons?  Campaign finance,  SEC fraud, and Blackwater War Crimes...oh my.

(12-23-2020, 05:42 PM)TheRealThing Wrote:

You can't even insult with any degree of lucidity. I didn't say they didn't get due process. I said they were pronounced guilty prior to due process. Your follow-up being even more absurd, nonetheless deserves a response. Every lib on this board has charged Trump with Russian collusion, on the heels of 4 years worth of it on the part of the left.
I wasn’t trying to insult you. 

I believe Trump took advantage of Russian assistance, and will again. But me saying that doesn’t make a hill of beans in a court of law. It just hurts your feelings.  
Biden says he will not stand in the way of an investigation.  Oh, buddy, the next four years will be good.
(12-23-2020, 06:25 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 05:55 PM)vector#1 Wrote: Fact Russia stole the DNC Emails
Fact you are a liar.
Fact Roger Stone found guilty on all counts in trial stemming from Mueller probe | Fox News
F
act You are the Damm Liar
(12-23-2020, 06:37 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote:

They don’t, but it is rich that once those same tactics used on everyone else are used in the elite suddenly it’s not fair.  

These people did not get abused by the justice system. Both served under 30 days for something a regular citizen would have received a year or more.

How about the other pardons?  Campaign finance,  SEC fraud, and Blackwater War Crimes...oh my.

(12-23-2020, 05:42 PM)TheRealThing Wrote:

I wasn’t trying to insult you. 

I believe Trump took advantage of Russian assistance, and will again. But me saying that doesn’t make a hill of beans in a court of law. It just hurts your feelings.  
Biden says he will not stand in the way of an investigation.  Oh, buddy, the next four years will be good.

Sure you were. I just pointed out yet again the shallow confines of your thought processes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(12-23-2020, 06:37 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote:

I am not impressed with the case you are trying to make. Everybody that every president has pardoned has been found guilty or charged with a crime, to the best of my knowledge. Trump has exercised the pardon power of the presidency far less often than ANY modern president.

Where is the beef? If you have evidence that Trump has sold pardons to wealthy criminals who later donated to his campaign, then I will join you in condemning him for pardoning people. Otherwise, it seems like you would be pleased that Trump has approved so few pardon requests.

Please explain why it is wrong for Trump to use the pardon power sparingly, but it was okay for Obama and Clinton to use it far more often, and in at least one case, in exchange for campaign donations?
1. Hooter, you will never condemn Trump. Don’t act like you will.

2. This nation is full of people that have been abused by the justice system and Trump has chosen to pardon his friends and supporters. Period.

There really isn’t anything else to say.
(12-23-2020, 07:15 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: 1.  Hooter, you will never condemn Trump. Don’t act like you will. 

2.  This nation is full of people that have been abused by the justice system and Trump has chosen to pardon his friends and supporters. Period. 

Actually, I have condemned Trump far more than you ever will. I am just open minded enough to acknowledge that he has done an outstanding job in many areas.

Face facts, you started this thread because you thought Trump was abusing the power of the presidential pardon. You did so with no knowledge of how infrequently Trump has exercised the pardon power compared to other modern presidents.

Now that I have pointed out the facts, you are attacking me personally because you tried to make a case that just cannot be made. I understand. Really, I do.  Big Grin
(12-23-2020, 07:19 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 07:15 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: 1.  Hooter, you will never condemn Trump. Don’t act like you will. 

2.  This nation is full of people that have been abused by the justice system and Trump has chosen to pardon his friends and supporters. Period. 

Actually, I have condemned Trump far more than you ever will. I am just open minded enough to acknowledge that he has done an outstanding job in many areas.

Face facts, you started this thread because you thought Trump was abusing the power of the presidential pardon. You did so with no knowledge of how infrequently Trump has exercised the pardon power compared to other modern presidents.

Now that I have pointed out the facts, you are attacking me personally because you tried to make a case that just cannot be made. I understand. Really, I do.  Big Grin

I doubt you have condemned more than me. 
Griping about his twitter is not much of a condemnation. 

I started this thread to discuss the open misuse of this presidential power. He’s off to a good start.
(12-23-2020, 08:04 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 07:19 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

I doubt you have condemned more than me. 
Griping about his twitter is not much of a condemnation. 

I started this thread to discuss the open misuse of this presidential power. He’s off to a good start.

Because he had no experience and had taken what I considered liberal positions before he became a presidential candidate, I thought then that he was a horrible presidential candidate. I have not changed my opinion. He was a horrible candidate.

At some point though, we have to strive to objectively judge the accomplishments of our elected officials. I objected to  most of the tariffs that Trump imposed (aside from China) and started a thread on that topic. I also started a thread objecting to his opening position in negotiating an immigration bill with Democrats.

I have frequently criticized Trump's poor hires and his insistence on publicly humiliating most of the people that he has fired, instead of letting them save face with a resignation.

Overall, I believe that Trump has been the most honest president since George H. W. Bush and the most effective president at least since Ronald Reagan. His foreign policy accomplishments are only rivaled by Reagan among recent presidents.

I believe in voting for candidates based on their records, which is why I supported Ted Cruz in 2016. Trump had no record. Trump now has a long list of accomplishments to his credit and that is why I am enthusiastically supporting him in the 2020 election.

I have also watched Joe Biden's career over the years and I know how undistinguished his record has been. Democrats could have done much better. Had they nominated Tulsi Gabbard, I do not believe that they would have needed to resort to cheating in 2020. Hopefully, she will switch parties and run as a Republican in 2022.

This thread is just another example of your inability to exercise any objectivity about Donald Trump. If you wanted to argue against presidential pardons, I could respect your opinion. But, to criticize Trump for issuing far fewer pardons than recent Democrat presidents is just pure partisanship. In no way has Trump abused the pardon power unless you believe that Obama and Clinton were worse abusers of the pardon power.

Seeing is believing. Here are a couple of my threads from 2016.

The Case Against Donald Trump (pre-2016 election)

TRUMP OFFERS TO TRIPLE OBAMA'S AMNESTY NUMBER IN EXCHANGE FOR TOUGHER SECURITY LAWS
“This thread is just another example of your inability to exercise any objectivity about Donald Trump. If you wanted to argue against presidential pardons, I could respect your opinion. But, to criticize Trump for issuing far fewer pardons than recent Democrat presidents is just pure partisanship. In no way has Trump abused the pardon power unless you believe that Obama and Clinton were worse abusers of the pardon power.“

I’m not arguing his Quantity; just the quality.
But he is just getting started.

Hooter, you followed the Ted Cruz crawl to Trump.

This can’t be made up. Big Grin Big Grin
(12-23-2020, 09:27 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: “This thread is just another example of your inability to exercise any objectivity about Donald Trump. If you wanted to argue against presidential pardons, I could respect your opinion. But, to criticize Trump for issuing far fewer pardons than recent Democrat presidents is just pure partisanship. In no way has Trump abused the pardon power unless you believe that Obama and Clinton were worse abusers of the pardon power.“

If you want to look at quality, lookup Mark Rich.

I think that it is finally dawning on you that you are the partisan Democrat hack that TRT and I have told you that you are. Anybody who trusts a political party more than their own eyes and ears is a fool. You are all in for the Democrats and CNN. I pity you.
(12-23-2020, 09:39 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 09:27 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote: “This thread is just another example of your inability to exercise any objectivity about Donald Trump. If you wanted to argue against presidential pardons, I could respect your opinion. But, to criticize Trump for issuing far fewer pardons than recent Democrat presidents is just pure partisanship. In no way has Trump abused the pardon power unless you believe that Obama and Clinton were worse abusers of the pardon power.“

I think that it is finally dawning on you that you are the partisan Democrat hack that TRT and I have told you that you are. Anybody who trusts a political party more than their own eyes and ears is a fool. You are all in for the Democrats and CNN. I pity you.

If this ain’t pot calling the kettle black. 

I know you may not believe this, but I don’t support everything Bill Clinton did. As a person, he is abysmal.  

Another 26 pardons highlighted by  Manafort, Stone, and Kushner’s daddy.  Please keep defending the quality of Dear Leader’s pardons.
(12-23-2020, 10:52 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 09:39 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

If this ain’t pot calling the kettle black. 

I know you may not believe this, but I don’t support everything Bill Clinton did. As a person, he is abysmal.  

Another 26 pardons highlighted by  Manafort, Stone, and Kushner’s daddy.  Please keep defending the quality of Dear Leader’s pardons.
I'm not defending any pardon. Pardons are not normally issued to Boy Scouts (LTG Flynn being a possible exception). I considered Manafort a scumbag and criticized Trump for allowing him to manage his campaign. However, the only reason Manafort was prosecuted was his relationship to Trump. The feds had already declined to prosecute him for whatever crimes he had committed, so I think Trump had a personal obligation to pardon him.

I am not really familiar with the Stone and Kushner cases and I really don't care. Trump has a long way to go to catch Obama or Clinton and I doubt that Trump will pardon anybody less deserving than Marc Rich, the Puerto Rican terrorists, or the Mexican drug kingpins that Clinton pardoned.

If you want to continue to whine about Trump's pardons, then continue your hypocritical tirade. It is par for the course.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...rt/617397/

“Remarkably, Mason predicted Donald Trump’s pardon of Paul Manafort and Roger Stone more than 230 years ago.

Back in 1787, when the Constitutional Convention was drafting the part of the Constitution that would soon become the presidential pardon power, Mason unequivocally opposed the provision. The president, he said, “ought not to have the power of pardoning, because he may frequently pardon crimes which were advised by himself. It may happen, at some future day, that he will establish a monarchy, and destroy the republic. If he has the power of granting pardons before indictment, or conviction, may he not stop inquiry and prevent detection”

Trump has given the Founding Fathers plenty of reason to toss and turn in their graves.
(12-24-2020, 12:28 AM)Cardfan1 Wrote: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...rt/617397/

“Remarkably, Mason predicted Donald Trump’s pardon of Paul Manafort and Roger Stone more than 230 years ago.

Back in 1787, when the Constitutional Convention was drafting the part of the Constitution that would soon become the presidential pardon power, Mason unequivocally opposed the provision. The president, he said, “ought not to have the power of pardoning, because he may frequently pardon crimes which were advised by himself. It may happen, at some future day, that he will establish a monarchy, and destroy the republic. If he has the power of granting pardons before indictment, or conviction, may he not stop inquiry and prevent detection”

Trump has given the Founding Fathers plenty of reason to toss and turn in their graves.

He is pardoning his cohorts to protect himself and to reward their silence and dedication to him ....... and his more controversial pardons are still to come.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Outsider's post:
  • Old School Hound
(12-24-2020, 12:28 AM)Cardfan1 Wrote: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...rt/617397/

Mason lost the debate over pardons more than 230 years ago, just as you have lost this one, although he presented his argument more eloquently. Your argument would have been more timely at the end of the Obama and Clinton presidencies.