Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland 10 Belfry 3 (3A Semifinals)
(12-12-2020, 02:02 AM)I’m Belfry fan 75 Wrote: The o-line can’t block everyone when they stack the box. Develop a slight passing game and maybe you could run the ball. Can’t throw the ball 2 to 3 times a game and only when the other team knows you have to pass and expect it to work

And the time keeper was absolutely ridiculous as was a few of the spots.

Doesn’t matter.  Ashland whipped us up front and that’s tough to swallow. 

Make excuses about play calls if ya want but those plays have been called the same the last 30 years.   7 state titles, numerous stare runner ups would tell you that some young men just did it better.
[-] The following 2 users Like BoondockSaint's post:
  • #55PirateFan, M&G
I believe this settles the debate on who the best RB in the state is this season.
(12-12-2020, 04:55 AM)WestCarterComet Wrote: I believe this settles the debate on who the best RB in the state is this season.

No, no it doesn’t, if your referring to the Pittman kid. He didn’t really do too much tonight, give a couple 8-10 yard runs I do believe. The Tackett kid did more damage. Not to tear the kid down, and discredit what he’s done besides these games, but I didn’t see the hype. Dixon is a better back, and definitely better all around. Don’t have any numbers for stats, but can remember most of the night it was Tackett and #17 making plays for the Tomcats.
Wow just wow can’t believe the CATS played that well last night. Field conditions made the Pirates uncomfortable and so did Ashland’s D.
Congratulations Tomcats!!!
(12-12-2020, 04:55 AM)WestCarterComet Wrote: I believe this settles the debate on who the best RB in the state is this season.
And just who do you think is the best running back in the state...❓

17 is the one who did the damage for Ashland tonight on the jet sweeps. He had 1 TD called back as well plus another one that proved to be the game winner. But now in second half Pittman got loose a couple times for big runs. 

But the best player last night was #9 on defense for Ashland. He made big play after big play alll night long. And also #19 on their defensive line was a beast getting to the football. I was very impressed with Ashland’s defense!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(12-12-2020, 10:28 AM)M&G Wrote:
And just who do you think is the best running back in the state...❓
Leetavious Cline... I’ve heard all year that Isaac Dixon was better.

(12-12-2020, 10:59 AM)Spud6 Wrote:

17 is the one who did the damage for Ashland tonight on the jet sweeps. He had 1 TD called back as well plus another one that proved to be the game winner. But now in second half Pittman got loose a couple times for big runs. 

But the best player last night was #9 on defense for Ashland. He made big play after big play alll night long. And also #19 on their defensive line was a beast getting to the football. I was very impressed with Ashland’s defense!
To be clear, I believe Dixon is a better back than Pittman too. Neither one of them are the best back in Kentucky this year though.
i know Belfry wont do it,but love to see them run this out of shotgun and get good passing qb,would have more options
Not playing on those field conditions before hurt Belfry and Dixon. Belfry just isn’t used too getting a little mud on those uniforms.Dixon is a special player and Bentley kid too. Both should be playing on Saturdays next season. Ashland always has athletes, the seasons they have some big nastys too they usually have a lot of success.
Does Dixon have any college offers?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
This was a real shocker for me, I have to take my hat off to Ashland. I honestly didn’t think that they could match up with the physicality of Belfry. Ashland played great on all three phases and won all three phases.

I also felt like Belfry wasn’t playing there style off football. The players was being disrespectful, stomping on the A, late hits, ripping helmets offs, killing their own drives with penalties, and extend Ashland drives with penalties.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oleballcoach's post:
  • T-CATS
Who? It would still have to be Isaac Dixon. Pittman didn’t accomplish anything last night. Garret didn’t accomplish anything last night either other than the touchdown. Ashland’s quarterback was the difference.
There’s a lot to unpack from this game. 

The field- That always going to be someone’s argument but end of the day both teams have to play on it. Belfry plays on turf but has access to grass fields for practice so that argument goes out the door. 

When it comes down to tactics and execution Ashland was the better team. As one dimensional as Belfry is known to be Ashland was equally as biased to the run last night. There was no threat of pass from either team but Belfry kept playing 2 high safety all night. They started to rolling a safety to the jet motion late in the second half but he was late reacting and Belfry couldn’t keep the outside contain. Ashland did a good job of mixing up their offensive attack and had a good read for how Belfry was going to play them. 

What happened to the Belfry wishbone of years past? Or even the old shotgun flex bone they experimented with for a while? I know people want to talk personnel but it still gives you some options to get Dixon the ball in different ways as opposed to the flex bone where he’s on one side and can only run the ball to the opposite side of the formation. You knew they were in trouble when they moved him to FB but it was their best tactical strategy to get their best player the ball on either side of the formation and not let the play or defensive alignment dictate where/how you get him the ball. It’s very difficult for Belfry to be successful with 1 stud RB and minimal contribution from the FB position... make the run game too one dimensional. A good coach will make the lesser experienced/proven players beat him. Don’t get beat by the star if possible. 

Have to tip your hat to the Tom Cats who came in with a solid game plan and executed it with great energy. Their line wasn’t huge but they weren’t small either. Well built kids that could come off the ball all night. 

End of the day one of many great games around the state. Thankful for all these teams and communities to have the experience of playing this season and enjoying the playoffs. 

1 more week of Kentucky football. Hopefully next season will be a little smoother and have more fans! 
With us not having a traditional fullback and so one dimensional that’s why I keep saying it would be nice to have a little passing game to keep them honest and not key on Dixion. Everyone and get on here and say it’s worked in the last and they just blocked better but when you only use one back and the QB to run and don’t pass this is the result. Made no adjustments what so ever!
(12-12-2020, 02:05 AM)ethand Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 12:12 AM)VELVET CLOSER Wrote: Ashland always has good athletes...so with that being said, please invest and get those kids some good turf at Putnam.
i know nothing about their football field,but many moons ago ashland was a booming town with coal,steel,etc. jobs.so the money was there if the tomcats wanted a new field.but maybe the school chose to keep grass and the same field.dont know,but maybe someone from the ashland area will chime in and tell us.i would have thought that the tomcats would of had one of the better fields (grass or turf) in the state.
 There was supposed to be turf when the stadium was remodeled a few years ago. However they ran out of money supposedly. Also remember hearing the rumor that certain old Ashland traditionalists didn't like the idea of turf. Definitely needs to happen somehow.
This Ashland D is incredible. They has giving up 45 points on the season. Without the fumble inside the 10 and a Belfry field goal. Ashland shuts out the Pirates.
(12-12-2020, 02:31 PM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote: With us not having a traditional fullback and so one dimensional that’s why I keep saying it would be nice to have a little passing game to keep them honest and not key on Dixion. Everyone and get on here and say it’s worked in the last and they just blocked better but when you only use one back and the QB to run and don’t pass this is the result. Made no adjustments what so ever!

They did make an adjustment though. They put #5 at FB and then ended up just moving Dixon to FB to just give him the ball because they knew no one else was going to break anything. But Ashland was just great on everything. 

But to say they should’ve adjusted to pass the ball just isn’t Belfry.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • #55PirateFan
Ashland was great and well scouted and prepared. And by adjustments I mean in game adjustments. You can’t wait till everyone knows your passing to actually pass a little. They picked up a coach from Johnson Central this year and I’m sure that helped them prepare for us
(12-12-2020, 01:47 PM)Joe Thomas Wrote:
Who? It would still have to be Isaac Dixon. Pittman didn’t accomplish anything last night. Garret didn’t accomplish anything last night either other than the touchdown. Ashland’s quarterback was the difference.
Dixon is no Leetavious Cline. Ashland’s QB was the difference? What did he do? Genuinely asking because I wasn’t at the game.
(12-12-2020, 08:43 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote:
Dixon is no Leetavious Cline. Ashland’s QB was the difference? What did he do? Genuinely asking because I wasn’t at the game.
Dixon is the best back in 3A not in the state I was assuming we were talking about 3A. Ashland’s QB was the difference. He reminded me of Isaac Macnamee from Pikeville, very deceptive and he kept the Belfry defense guessing every play. He was the difference. Pittman reminds me of Contavious Hopkins if y’all remember him. Great finesse back but as soon as you put him against a physical team he struggles. Garret scores the touchdown, but Ashland’s QB was the difference.
You sir clearly don’t know football. Just enjoy your trip to the state semi finals. No need to make outlandish claims that are just silly.
(12-12-2020, 09:13 PM)Joe Thomas Wrote:
Dixon is the best back in 3A not in the state I was assuming we were talking about 3A. Ashland’s QB was the difference. He reminded me of Isaac Macnamee from Pikeville, very deceptive and he kept the Belfry defense guessing every play. He was the difference. Pittman reminds me of Contavious Hopkins if y’all remember him. Great finesse back but as soon as you put him against a physical team he struggles. Garret scores the touchdown, but Ashland’s QB was the difference.
I’m assuming there was a lot of sarcasm in the comparison of Ashland QB and McNamee.

(12-12-2020, 09:55 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:
You sir clearly don’t know football. Just enjoy your trip to the state semi finals. No need to make outlandish claims that are just silly.
Enjoyed the trip. Nothing outlandish about it. It’s simply true.
(12-12-2020, 08:08 AM)T-CATS Wrote: Wow just wow can’t believe the CATS played that well last night. Field conditions made the Pirates uncomfortable and so did Ashland’s D.
I agree with this. Ashland’s defense took a page right out of Pikeville’s playbook. They were disciplined and played fundamental. The field conditions had Belfry frustrated. Couldn’t get a push on Oline and backs couldn’t make usual cuts. They became very one dimensional. 

Both schools have very tradition rich programs. Belfry at this point has nothing to prove as a program, they are clearly one of the top in the state. For the last 20 years most teams have been sitting home watching Haywood and the pirates play for and win multiple State Championships. Ashland played great, they have a great team and have a chance to bring the hardware back to the eastern part of the state. Good luck Tomcats, go take care of business. PCN will see ya again next year.
(12-12-2020, 11:29 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote:
I’m assuming there was a lot of sarcasm in the comparison of Ashland QB and McNamee.

Both are obviously talented RB’s but I would probably give the nod to Cline. Young man just moves different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blue_Bird96's post:
  • WestCarterComet
(12-12-2020, 11:29 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote:

The way the Ashland QB ran their offense was very similar to how you see Macnamee run Pikeville’s offense. They ran Pikeville’s offensive scheme.
I am watching this Ashland/Belfry game and I don’t know who the announcers are but I like there passion. When a big something happened in that game I couldn’t help but get pumped lol. They have cracked me up. Love it! That’s the way a game should be announced! Looked like a dog fight the entire game. Congratulations to Ashland!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • irishcard16
Watched some of the game back and the Ashland announcers said it was a Ashland coach that was running the time clock lol. Said he must be caught up in the game is why he was so off on starting and stopping the clock. Funny how he was just caught up in game when it hurt Belfry
(12-13-2020, 01:02 PM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote: Watched some of the game back and the Ashland announcers said it was a Ashland coach that was running the time clock lol. Said he must be caught up in the game is why he was so off on starting and stopping the clock. Funny how he was just caught up in game when it hurt Belfry

I thought they said it was a coaches son or coaches dad. Can’t remember. But I don’t remember a time I’m the game where I was like that clock just screwed Belfry over
#BBFL
Are you serious. Was you there. Did you watch the game. The drive right before the half they started the clock 7-8 secs before we snapped the ball. This was on dead balls one even after a time out. Not to mention how much they let run off before they stopped the clock. Only once did they put more time on the clock. It was pitiful and they definitely said it was a coach