Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rising sophomores
I think Sal Dean is on everyone's list and I know Martin County had a strong freshman class last season. Floyd Central has Ronnie Sammons Jr and Braden Moore as returning starters. Ryan Rose of Prestonsburg will be the player they count on. Andrew Kidd at Betsy Layne is another.

Which rising sophomore will everyone know by the end of the season (if there is one)?
Aden Barnett from Magoffin. Avg 19 ppg last season. Could be best scorer in that freshman class in the mountains. The younger Fugate brother at Paintsville has potential and an excellent baseball player. Will be interesting to see how he does with an expanded role.

I believe Rose, Barnett and Dean is the top of the 2023 class in the mountains. Curious to see how those young guys at Floyd Central develop and how Newsome uses Kidd at BL.
I didn’t get to see Magoffin County last year. Does he have help to make them contenders down the road?
15rocks Wrote:I didn’t get to see Magoffin County last year. Does he have help to make them contenders down the road?

They have good trio of guards. With Barnett who I’ve mentioned along with Isaiah Salyer who will be a Senior I believe and Grayson Whitaker who will only be a freshman. The hornets lack size and assume Martin County is the 1 in that district. They could compete for the 2 spot considering Paintsville lost their big and JC is mostly undersized as well. The 57th will be very competitive from all 4 teams this year.
At some point you got put Shelby Valley’s Chaz Brown he is one of the top rasing kids coming up which played a roll on a Veteran team last year as a Freshman an one of the best on ball defenders in the 15 Region look for him to have a Break out year under Coach Rowe
Ashland has quite a rising sophomore group. Everyone knows Colin Porter, but there is also: Nate Freize, Asher Adkins, Tucker Conway, and Tristan Davis. All dressed and got good varsity min. Should be a strong group in the next couple of years.
basketballnut Wrote:At some point you got put Shelby Valley’s Chaz Brown he is one of the top rasing kids coming up which played a roll on a Veteran team last year as a Freshman an one of the best on ball defenders in the 15 Region look for him to have a Break out year under Coach Rowe

If you ask most people around the Region who that kid was they wouldn’t be able to tell you. He avg 1.6 ppg last year. So this isn’t the time to mention him. Could he have a good year this year, maybe. I mentioned starters and players that contributed. I watched Valley in district and regional tournament and I can’t recall him even getting in the game. So as far as a anything sophomore I can’t mention him right now. Conversation could be different after the season. Only time will tell.
Guess we will see if time will tell. I will have to say he was on a much better team then all the ones mentioned so do you believe any of the ones you mentioned would have started at Shelby Valley no! Basketball is Again opportunity if you didn’t know the Shelby Valley system with Coach Hicks he doesn’t play Freshman So correct me if I am wrong Chaz Brown as a freshman was his first occupation for most of the year on a really good Veteran team with Cody Potter 15 region best player so in no way you can put Chaz Brown down he deserves to be in Discussion as one of the top sophomores this year
basketballnut Wrote:Guess we will see if time will tell. I will have to say he was on a much better team then all the ones mentioned so do you believe any of the ones you mentioned would have started at Shelby Valley no! Basketball is Again opportunity if you didn’t know the Shelby Valley system with Coach Hicks he doesn’t play Freshman So correct me if I am wrong Chaz Brown as a freshman was his first occupation for most of the year on a really good Veteran team with Cody Potter 15 region best player so in no way you can put Chaz Brown down he deserves to be in Discussion as one of the top sophomores this year

Nothing against Johnson from Valley but if you don’t think Barnett, Rose or Sal Dean wouldnt have started over him then you must not know talent.

As for your statement about Hicks not playing freshman. Potter started all four years. Mcpeek, Cameron and Keian Worrix all played as freshman.

I wasn’t putting Brown down at all actually. My statement was let me see more of him before I can call him a rising anything. In the biggest games in crunch time he wasn’t on the floor so I can’t tell much from a suppose rising sophomore during lay up lines. Let me see him this year if he gets the opportunity then we can come back and see if he is one of the best 2023 players in the 15th.
Zach Watterson of Lee County averaged 26 ppg as a freshman guard. The Bobcats have a new coach this year so I’m not sure what style of basketball they’ll play.
Potter didn’t start as freshmen to late December Cameron didn’t play at all as freshman he didn’t start on jv as a freshman Mcpeek also didn’t play as a freshman you may need to check an no not putting anyone down they would not have started under Hicks he has a different system an Valley was a way Better team than Belfry an Magoffin we will see this year an end the Discussion of the lay up line interesting to see by there senior years who will be the top I say it’s wide open just because a Freshman got to play a lot on a bad team doesn’t mean at all a good team has talent sitting All year Brown was Hicks 6-7 man on a loaded team All remains to be see but If u think this kid can’t play u better start watching another sport
basketballnut Wrote:Potter didn’t start as freshmen to late December Cameron didn’t play at all as freshman he didn’t start on jv as a freshman Mcpeek also didn’t play as a freshman you may need to check an no not putting anyone down they would not have started under Hicks he has a different system an Valley was a way Better team than Belfry an Magoffin we will see this year an end the Discussion of the lay up line interesting to see by there senior years who will be the top I say it’s wide open just because a Freshman got to play a lot on a bad team doesn’t mean at all a good team has talent sitting All year Brown was Hicks 6-7 man on a loaded team All remains to be see but If u think this kid can’t play u better start watching another sport

Potter led them in scoring as a freshman just so you know.

Let’s end the debate on who is a better judge of talent right here and now. Based on your previous posting history it seems you were a fan of Chaz older brother Kobe as well. Saying he had the best D-1 potential of any guard in his class in the Region. If I recall correctly. Kobe only avg 1ppg at valley as a freshman. Then tried to play at pikeville as a sophomore and once he got eligible couldn’t break into rotation. Try to enroll at Floyd Central to play for Spurlock and couldn’t. Finally ended up going to Jenkins just to get to play. So I’ll go by my judge of talent over yours any day sir.

I’ll remake my same statement on Chaz once again just in case you didn’t understand me. He didn’t get to play much as a freshman. Hard to say someone is top sophomore when he never got to play. The other kids Ive mentioned played and started. So until I see Brown in a more expansive role the jury
Is still out. I have the right to change my opinion after the season if he gets a bigger role.
Seems like you keep up with them pretty good almost as your on inside so your probably upset Thur the Grace Of all we got a new Coach let the old one Coach middle school take all his supporters with him so your taste in talent yea it’s bad I guess we will wait on the jury to see O you had that wrong like your talent Kobe went to Jenkins as a jr but thanks for trip down memory lane an I am sure if you know Chaz he will be clapping when he proves you wrong
basketballnut Wrote:Seems like you keep up with them pretty good almost as your on inside so your probably upset Thur the Grace Of all we got a new Coach let the old one Coach middle school take all his supporters with him so your taste in talent yea it’s bad I guess we will wait on the jury to see O you had that wrong like your talent Kobe went to Jenkins as a jr but thanks for trip down memory lane an I am sure if you know Chaz he will be clapping when he proves you wrong

First of all I don’t have a dog in any fight and I’ve been one of the biggest Jim Hicks doubters on this site. Just a fan of 15th region basketball. I never said what grade Kobe was in when he went to Jenkins. I said he TRIED to play at Floyd Central and couldn’t and went to Jenkins. Yes I know he went back to Pikeville as a senior and didn’t play sports.

Seems like to me you’re pretty close with the Brown family 😉 and the only poster on this site who ever post about them.

Once again I can’t put a kid on a rising sophomore list and only averaging 1.3 ppg. He scored 42 points on the season and 25 of it was in 3 games against Jenkins. What are you basing that he will be a star on? You keep saying he was 6-7 man last year. Every game I watched of Valley last year whether it be in person or on wprg. Bates was first off the bench followed by Blackburn(after he came back and Osborne (who was an 8TH GRADER). Brown never even saw the floor unless it was a blow out either way.

So at the end of the year if Brown gets the playing time and proves he is one of the Top 2023 in the 15th then we can have this conversation again.
The Brown kid does have talent, he will take over the point spot when Worrix graduates, but he’s gonna he more of an off guard that won’t get a lot of shots. The Osborne kid played more than he did as an 8th grader later towards the season. Both are gonna be good, but Chaz shouldn’t on a “rising sophomores” list.
Leslie county's Wyatt Hensley should be mentioned. Has been starting varsity since the 8th grade and averaged 10 PPG last season. Starting with 4 experienced seniors this season. Very good ball handler and shoots at a high percentage.
Do you think in any way that could have been the coach why Brown didn’t play or was not allowed to shoot just curious if your told not to shoot you listen to the coach no matter how bad it is I also think maybe because the back an forth from Kobe do you really think Hicks was going play him just when he needed him it will change an yes there a lot of great players was Chaz not as good as any in 8th grade led Dorton to final 3 with not much help I didn’t see many that could guard him then it’s all opportunity when giving a green light you will be great A Coach can make or break a player
Well to in light u You must not watch much Valley game Blackburn was gone most of the year Bates played at the end of the year think coach hating on his brother could played a part sense you seem to know so much an if your told not to shoot or you don’t play you don’t shoot as far as kobe nothing for you to mention yes he started every game at FC till broke foot late Dec but I forgot your a walking book of knowledge 👏
What was kobes last name. I dont recall a kobe ever starting at FC. the 1st year they ran jr tackett Brady conn Kyle Issac Ethan mills and Jacob collins as a starting 5 every game I watched
basketballnut Wrote:Well to in light u You must not watch much Valley game Blackburn was gone most of the year Bates played at the end of the year think coach hating on his brother could played a part sense you seem to know so much an if your told not to shoot or you don’t play you don’t shoot as far as kobe nothing for you to mention yes he started every game at FC till broke foot late Dec but I forgot your a walking book of knowledge 👏

Did you not read anything I posted? I said Blackburn played WHEN HE CAME BACK. I went and looked at every game stats posted on KHSAA and C. Brown only played in the games that either Valley won big or Lost big (Hatfield McCoy game). Now you are on here complaining about the coach and all this nonsense. That’s what usually happens when a PARENT don’t like when their kid isn’t playing. Also same reason K. Brown went to numerous schools because said PARENT thought he was a superstar when in reality he couldn’t see the floor.

So you say he started every game at FC before he got hurt? He was there Brady Conn senior year and Brown played in 1 game and had a total of 1 point. Which is usually his avg when he is at a school other than Jenkins.

Most common fans in the 15th Region have no idea who the Brown brothers are. I guess that’s Coach Hicks fault. Typical response from a Butt Hurt PARENT who thinks their kid is the best player and should play.

I’m finished talking about a player that avg 1.3ppg. At the end of the year he if proves
Me wrong start a new thread about him.
Reed Sheppard, of North Laurel, is the top sophomore in the 13th Region and maybe the state. Ryan Davidson, of North, and Parker Payne, of South, are also good, along with Jonah Swanner and Daniel Carmical, of Harlan County.
Well New Coach at Valley this year things will change for the better an yes to me your in the same place as Coach Hicks the bottom your thoughts don’t mean jack crap just another person always hating on kids by all your comments I would hate to be the person you look at in the mirror your a classic nothing an your opinion is crap just another flapper mouth whom thinks he knows it all there a lot like you maybe someday it will hit!! Most ppl have more respect for road kill then your opinion
basketballnut Wrote:Well New Coach at Valley this year things will change for the better an yes to me your in the same place as Coach Hicks the bottom your thoughts don’t mean jack crap just another person always hating on kids by all your comments I would hate to be the person you look at in the mirror your a classic nothing an your opinion is crap just another flapper mouth whom thinks he knows it all there a lot like you maybe someday it will hit!! Most ppl have more respect for road kill then your opinion

Typical DADDY response. Someone don’t mention their baby he gets his panties all in a wad. Listen I stated my opinion on top rising sophomores in the 15th. You get all whiney I didn’t mention a kid who got scrub minutes. You only post about the same two kids. If someone would take their Daddy goggles off for two secs and take a look in the MIRROR and see they are more players in the Region that the Brown kid. Only time you ever post on here is about him or his older brother or to complain about something.

Last time you will get a response from me. When C. Brown actually earns mins and plays then we can see if he belongs ahead of the 3 I mentioned. I can’t do that until I see him in multiple meaningful games playing meaningful minutes. Sorry that hurt your feelings. If he proves he belongs I will change my opinion.
basketballnut Wrote:At some point you got put Shelby Valley’s Chaz Brown he is one of the top rasing kids coming up which played a roll on a Veteran team last year as a Freshman an one of the best on ball defenders in the 15 Region look for him to have a Break out year under Coach Rowe
I honestly don't remember him getting in the games I watched last season. I had to look up photos to see which player he was. I remember seeing him in warm ups now that I have seen a photo. He needs to add some muscle weigh if he is going to play high school basketball. Most kids are much larger and stronger than he is. Like I said tho, I've never seen him on the floor to see how he does against competition.
Man expectations are tough... You see some kids thrive and some fall apart. Hard to tell until they are thrown out there.
I think the kid to watch is Colin Porter. He played great last year, and with the new towers that transferred in we al will get to see this young man shine
Oleballcoach Wrote:I think the kid to watch is Colin Porter. He played great last year, and with the new towers that transferred in we al will get to see this young man shine

The top two players in the 2023 class have to be Sheppard (North Laurel) and Porter (Ashland). Gabe Sisk from Ballard is another one to watch out for. The 2022 and 2023 class could be the two most talented classes Kentucky has seen in a very long time.
My interpretation of a rising star is someone who is starting to do very well and who people think will soon be very successful. Kids that maybe will have a bigger role on their team this year. The likes of Reed and Porter are not rising. They are already there. They are elite. Barnett and Davidson were also major contributors last year. From the players I have personally watched last year in the 13th region, I think Jude Lakes from Jackson County is a rising star. Carmical and Swanner from Harlan County will have increased roles this year and are solid. I also think Whitley County has 3 sophomores who will contribute major minutes this year in Fuson, Mahan, and Keene.
Didnt corbin land a new player. He is a stud
I heard the same about Corbin adding a new sophomore player.  Kid averaged 26+ as a freshman.