Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 15th Region Teams (Predictions)
Milkcrate52 Wrote:Make no mistake, it’s easier to coach up in the stands or behind a keyboard on BGR. If he is the reason behind “many losses those kids should have won” then he’s behind many wins those kids shouldn’t have won either. Put some respect to his name, he’s been to 3 district championships in 8 years. Most of that was he had far less talent than the teams he faced due to school size, injury’s, buzzer beaters from kids who barely played the whole season and so on. You act like you know a lot about the man, when truth is, you only know what you’ve heard from people that say this coaching decision wasn’t based on politics. Have a good day 👌
Respect, have we forgotten that Mr. Brad Short pitted 3 lifelong friends against each other, Juniors, in a game of horse to allow them the honor of sitting on the bench at the District Tournament? After which he took an 8th grader to dress. Have we forgotten that he stated his goals was that they not come back for their Senior season? Where is the respect in the that. You give respect to earn respect. It's my opinion. Also it may not have been considered politics but it was playing favorite, a lot! I go to a lot of games, I see and hear things just like everyone else. So lets not discuss respect...
Nolietotell Wrote:I find it funny that BL people bash the man like crazy but last I remembered their LAST good team was 2015 and they was heavily favored with Peyton case against a less talented AC team who pulled off the upset. I forget who coached AC then 🤔🤔🤔 I also find it funny all year long they praised the man when he was winning but not losing. You can't have it both ways. As far back I can remember BL has been that way. Alot of hype and another of blame on the coach when the hype is too much for the program to handle.
Did he ever win a district tournament? Not just make it to the finals, WIN? Nope, he didn't.
15thregionsportsfan Wrote:Did he ever win a district tournament? Not just make it to the finals, WIN? Nope, he didn't.

How many districts has BL won in the last 25 years. When was their last regional. In Brad shorts career as a head coach he's a better than .500 coach BETSY LAYNES GREATEST COACH IS JUNIOR NEWSOME let's look at ole junior 476 wins in 24 years. That's right around 19.8 a year he won 1 regional and 4 districts 1 all a and 1 all state. I've heard BL PEOPLE SAY JR is a top 5 coach in the 15th of all time when in reality he isn't top 5 in the 58th all time and thats who they name their gym after.. and who did he pit against in a contest to dress varsity or not. Sounds like you're very close to the inside of the program. The fact of the matter is last year was the same as every year EXCUSES AND blame. And you know it's the truth as does every1 that supports the program you're just to afraid to admit it
Nolietotell Wrote:How many districts has BL won in the last 25 years. When was their last regional. In Brad shorts career as a head coach he's a better than .500 coach BETSY LAYNES GREATEST COACH IS JUNIOR NEWSOME let's look at ole junior 476 wins in 24 years. That's right around 19.8 a year he won 1 regional and 4 districts 1 all a and 1 all state. I've heard BL PEOPLE SAY JR is a top 5 coach in the 15th of all time when in reality he isn't top 5 in the 58th all time and thats who they name their gym after.. and who did he pit against in a contest to dress varsity or not. Sounds like you're very close to the inside of the program. The fact of the matter is last year was the same as every year EXCUSES AND blame. And you know it's the truth as does every1 that supports the program you're just to afraid to admit it
Why are you discussing just BL? I am a basketball fan, the name on the jersey doesn't mean anything, it's about the great Players, Plays and the great coaches that make Eastern Ky what it is. Every school has it bad years, they rebound eventually with the right person. I think BL finally has the right person to help their very talented players. We were discussing Brad Short as a coach. Junior Newsome was a great coach. There have been many great coaches in the 15th region. If Brad Short was so great, why didn't he get the Floyd Central job? Why did they give it to Spurlock? I'm just not a Brad Short fan, that is my right, I don't have to like and respect someone who I don't think deserves my respect. I don't judge your opinions. Like who you want, I'll like who I want as a coach.
Well to answer your many questions the last several comments where made about BL and I was voicing my opinion (my right) every school does have its bad years but you don't see them bragging in the off-season about how good they're going to be and then make excuses when they don't live up to it. Take Floyd Central for example. Had a bad year last year and probably will have a bad 1 this year but I don't see hype saying how good they're going to be because they put their heads down and grind. Thats how right and left beaver schools have always done it. 1 reason 1 of those 2 schools was always a top dog in the district for the last 20 years. And your next? The reason Brad short didn't get the FC job was politics. That job went to college friend and teammate Kevin Spurlock who at the time had a better resume than short. I do agree with you that BL hit a homerun with the hiring of Newsome. But in the foreseeable future I see the same fait as years past.. they are the 3 best team in the weakest district
Nolietotell Wrote:Well to answer your many questions the last several comments where made about BL and I was voicing my opinion (my right) every school does have its bad years but you don't see them bragging in the off-season about how good they're going to be and then make excuses when they don't live up to it. Take Floyd Central for example. Had a bad year last year and probably will have a bad 1 this year but I don't see hype saying how good they're going to be because they put their heads down and grind. Thats how right and left beaver schools have always done it. 1 reason 1 of those 2 schools was always a top dog in the district for the last 20 years. And your next? The reason Brad short didn't get the FC job was politics. That job went to college friend and teammate Kevin Spurlock who at the time had a better resume than short. I do agree with you that BL hit a homerun with the hiring of Newsome. But in the foreseeable future I see the same fait as years past.. they are the 3 best team in the weakest district
I agree with you in regards to Floyd Central, other than Brad Short should have been hired. I think Justin Holbrook would have been a great coach for them. Henry Webb destroyed their sports from the get go, other than the girls basketball coach, that was a good hire. Even the cheer coach was political and was sent packing the after the first year. As for the hype, I have not heard anything other than about the hire of Newsome. I hope the team can have a good season this year. Those kids deserve a good season, as do all kids who work their tails off to play the sport they love.
Nolietotell Wrote:When was their last regional. In Brad shorts career as a head coach he's a better than .500 coach it

Maybe if you include his middle school record. At the high school level its 117 wins 134 losses. Look it up on the KHSAA Website. While he lead Allen Central to the 15th Region Tournament as runners up three seasons, two of those seasons they were below 500. In fact, he only had one season there where they finished better than .500 and that was 17-16 in the 15-16 season. This past season record wise, was his best at the high school level, going 17-12.

As far as the top teams if we get a season in my opinion Martin County or Pikeville going in. I will wait to see if a season does happen, who does what when the games tip.
15thregionsportsfan Wrote:I agree with you in regards to Floyd Central, other than Brad Short should have been hired. I think Justin Holbrook would have been a great coach for them. Henry Webb destroyed their sports from the get go, other than the girls basketball coach, that was a good hire. Even the cheer coach was political and was sent packing the after the first year. As for the hype, I have not heard anything other than about the hire of Newsome. I hope the team can have a good season this year. Those kids deserve a good season, as do all kids who work their tails off to play the sport they love.

I agree Justin Holbrook would've been a better choice but Webb went with Spurlock for a few reasons 1 college teammate and friend 2 had a great resume. I mean look at just his credentials a few district titles a couple all a regionals 1 or 2 big regional titles and a all a state title. He learned from 1 of the top coaches to ever grace the mountains. Justin Holbrook is one of the brightest young minds in the 15th. I watched a few games his last year and he done great from what I saw. Not sure if he coached anywhere b4 his SF stint or not though
Pikeville and Martin County start out as favorites. Johnson Central and Paintsville would be considered contenders. Belfry is the big question mark. How good will the new players be? Shelby Valley is always a threat. Lawrence County next. Betsy Layne and Phelps round out darkhorses. I have no idea about East Ridge, but other teams are not realistic contenders.
Martin County will be the team to beat in the 15th region this year.

Some schools are getting transfers to fill their voids, so don't count the Cardinals out of this race.....
Nolietotell Wrote:How many districts has BL won in the last 25 years. When was their last regional. In Brad shorts career as a head coach he's a better than .500 coach BETSY LAYNES GREATEST COACH IS JUNIOR NEWSOME let's look at ole junior 476 wins in 24 years. That's right around 19.8 a year he won 1 regional and 4 districts 1 all a and 1 all state. I've heard BL PEOPLE SAY JR is a top 5 coach in the 15th of all time when in reality he isn't top 5 in the 58th all time and thats who they name their gym after.. and who did he pit against in a contest to dress varsity or not. Sounds like you're very close to the inside of the program. The fact of the matter is last year was the same as every year EXCUSES AND blame. And you know it's the truth as does every1 that supports the program you're just to afraid to admit it

😂. Here is someone who has zero knowledge of basketball. Especially in the 15th Region. JR Newsome has 12 district championships, 2 Regional Championships, 3 All A Region Championships. Do some research man before getting on here and trying to bash a hall of fame coach.
I admit I missed the 8 districts from the 70s and 80s but I still stand behind my statement hes nowhere in top 5 of region and I have 5 coaches id rather have than him in the 58th...but I will put my knowledge to test against yours on a daily basis especially about the game.
Nolietotell Wrote:I admit I missed the 8 districts from the 70s and 80s but I still stand behind my statement hes nowhere in top 5 of region and I have 5 coaches id rather have than him in the 58th...but I will put my knowledge to test against yours on a daily basis especially about the game.

That’s a bunch. Still don’t understand your thinking. That’s your opinion though. I am curious how many other coaches in the 58th have 12 district championships. I know how many have a All “A” State Championship though 👍
Man I swear everyone hangs on that All A championship. The best coach to ever come out of the 58th doesn't have a state title. And that guy would coach circles around ALL THE REST
Nolietotell Wrote:Man I swear everyone hangs on that All A championship. The best coach to ever come out of the 58th doesn't have a state title. And that guy would coach circles around ALL THE REST

Who do you say is the best coach out of the 58th?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Who do you say is the best coach out of the 58th?

Probably Brad Short 😎
Johnny Martin without a doubt
Nolietotell Wrote:Johnny Martin without a doubt

I agree Johnny Martin is definitely a top 3 coach of all time in the 58th. So is JR though. No way you can leave someone with 12 District Championships, 2 Regions, 3 All ‘A’ Regions, All ‘A’ State Championship off that list. Like I said no one else has that many district titles in the 58th. Nor do they have a All ‘A’ State title. Class dismissed ✌️
Maybe your top 3 but thats your opinion. If I had to choose 3 it would be
Johnny Martin
Denzil Halbert both are the only coaches with over 500 wins in the district and my 3rd would be Pete grisby. By you saying martin is top 3 and not #1 I'm curious who is your #1.
Nolietotell Wrote:Maybe your top 3 but thats your opinion. If I had to choose 3 it would be
Johnny Martin
Denzil Halbert both are the only coaches with over 500 wins in the district and my 3rd would be Pete grisby. By you saying martin is top 3 and not #1 I'm curious who is your #1.

No particular order Top 3 would be
JR Newsome
Johnny Martin
Pete Grigsby

Honorable mention
Denzil Halbert
Henry Webb
Like I've said a million times. You have your opinion I have mine and I'd say not many ppl aren't going with johnny martin.
Top 10
1. Martin county
2. BELFRY
3. PIKEVILLE
4. Johnson CENTRAL
5. East Ridge
6. PAINTSVILLE
7. Shelby Valley
8. Betsy layne
9. Magoffin county
10. Prestonsburg
(05-17-2020, 05:48 PM)ISouthEast18 Wrote: 1.Martin County
2. Pikeville
3. Valley
4. Johnson Central
5. Magoffin
6. Betsy Layne
7. Paintsville
8. Lawrence County
9.east ridge
10. Prestonsburg
WOW. Valley, JC, Magoffin AND Betsy Layne over Paintsville? Did we have a bunch transfer out that I’m not aware of?

(09-21-2020, 08:41 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: Top 10
1. Martin county
2. BELFRY
3. PIKEVILLE
4. Johnson CENTRAL
5. East Ridge
6. PAINTSVILLE
7. Shelby Valley
8. Betsy layne
9. Magoffin county
10. Prestonsburg
?? ?. East Ridge over Paintsville? How in the world can you even rank Belfry? You just going on Hype? When watching them play last year they appeared to have no direction. That has nothing to do with the players that comes from the staff. Did the have a staff change for this year to go along with the new recruits?

(05-17-2020, 05:48 PM)ISouthEast18 Wrote: 1.Martin County
2. Pikeville
3. Valley
4. Johnson Central
5. Magoffin
6. Betsy Layne
7. Paintsville
8. Lawrence County
9.east ridge
10. Prestonsburg
WOW. Valley, JC, Magoffin AND Betsy Layne over Paintsville? Did we have a bunch transfer out that I’m not aware of?
1) Martin County
2) Johnson Central
3) Pikeville
4) Paintsville
5) Shelby Valley
6) Lawrence County
7) East Ridge
8) Belfry
9) Phelps
10) Betsy Layne
1. Martin County
2. Pikeville
3. Paintsville
4. Johnson Central
5. SV
6. ER
7. Lawrence
8. Magoffin
9. Belfry
10. Prestonsburg

Truly, after the top 4 you can put them in any order you want and give home team advantage.
Martin County loves going into WV and *cough* recruiting *cough*.... taking some notes from Belfry Football. ???
Who is from WV?
(10-16-2020, 06:00 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Who is from WV?

Matt Linville from Tug Valley has transferred to Martin County.
(10-16-2020, 06:32 PM)clipperw Wrote:

Also have a Davis kid from Logan if I’m not mistaken. Came in off the bench during the District Championship and put a Paintsville kid on a Poster before half time.
(10-17-2020, 12:44 AM)MountainMamba Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 06:32 PM)clipperw Wrote:

Also have a Davis kid from Logan if I’m not mistaken. Came in off the bench during the District Championship and put a Paintsville kid on a Poster before half time.
Look for more posters to be made this year. Also we may go to a different state to get our next one so just wait and see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IntheZone's post:
  • MountainMamba