•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National Emergency
Van Hagar Wrote:[/B]

Last night in his daily briefing President Trump said "When someone is president of the United States, the authority is total." That's verbatim. I would love to hear your all's defense of that statement.

:popcorn:
Granny Bear Wrote:I just saw the film of Trump's statement and wanted to clarify.

He said that in a context of re-opening the country and with the help of a committee of several. His word choices suck; no doubt. But it wasn't what I thought. And Cuomo is already jumping up and down over it and the media is attacking.

This crap is what nauseates me. With a nation on total restriction, the biggest story is 'who can catch Trump in a bad/false statement'. Well a 3 year old could do that!!! The REAL story should be, 'what can we do to help heal this nation'!!

I watched the entire press conference yesterday. IT was entertaining; made me almost forget we were in crisis. The president was pretty clear he had "total" authority. He said it a few times.

GB, what you said was what he should of said, but he didn't and now has egg on his face.
^^ Oh you're right Cardfan, MR Trump is so crass. What we need in this time of crisis is not a proven strong leader the likes FDR or Trump. No what we need is to form a girly-man committee comprised of guys who were they not employed at CNN and MSNBC or the DNC, would be in the daily soaps. And let them tell everybody what to do.

You know we tried living under the direction of a clueless community organizer who led from behind for 8 years during the Obama era. During that time the entire world order changed. I've had quite enough of the 21st Century thinking thank you. We took the advice of the medical community and now we must assess how to best go forward. Time for Fauci et-al to fade and our President to lead on this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don’t care about catching Trump saying something off base, we can do that on any political figure basically any day of the week. What bothers me about it is killing Beshear for taking matters into his own hands (and I’ll be the first to say I think he overstepped with the license plate/quarantine move), but with Trump, hey it’s ok, take things over, we need a strong leader. I mean, which is it?
TheRealThing Wrote:^^ Oh you're right Cardfan, MR Trump is so crass. What we need in this time of crisis is not a proven strong leader the likes FDR or Trump. No what we need is to form a girly-man committee comprised of guys who were they not employed at CNN and MSNBC or the DNC, would be in the daily soaps. And let them tell everybody what to do.

You know we tried living under the direction of a clueless community organizer who led from behind for 8 years during the Obama era. During that time the entire world order changed. I've had quite enough of the 21st Century thinking thank you. We took the advice of the medical community and now we must assess how to best go forward. Time for Fauci et-al to fade and our President to lead on this.

I don't know about VH, but I am intrigued on how you guys explain Trump's total authority line. Do you support it now? How does that line with your beliefs?

Trump spent weeks telling us the states had the power to control lock downs and quarantines when Florida and others were dragging their feet, and it's up to the states to support their people with medical equipment when states were begging for federal help, BUT over the past few days the power has suddenly shifted.

I am still waiting for that "proven strong leader the likes FDR." I sure wish he would have been strong when it came to leading in crisis, but he is going to be strong when it comes to opening up the economy. Priorities, I guess.
Van Hagar Wrote:I don’t care about catching Trump saying something off base, we can do that on any political figure basically any day of the week. What bothers me about it is killing Beshear for taking matters into his own hands (and I’ll be the first to say I think he overstepped with the license plate/quarantine move), but with Trump, hey it’s ok, take things over, we need a strong leader. I mean, which is it?

I disagree with you on the license plates.

What do you think he should do? There is no doubt that the churches that met this past wkd will continue to hold services.

In some states pastors were thrown in jail.
I respect your opinion on it. If those folks were just a closed group that wouldn’t interact with anyone else, I’d say go for it and if you get infected, so be it. But they do interact with other folks who have a right to be protected. So to me it becomes one of the absolute toughest call for any governor, regardless of party, during this pandemic. I guess I just have a hard time punishing folks for engaging in their religion. But I don’t pretend to know the best solution, and this is a call I’m glad I don’t have to make.
Van Hagar Wrote:I respect your opinion on it. If those folks were just a closed group that wouldn’t interact with anyone else, I’d say go for it and if you get infected, so be it. But they do interact with other folks who have a right to be protected. So to me it becomes one of the absolute toughest call for any governor, regardless of party, during this pandemic. I guess I just have a hard time punishing folks for engaging in their religion. But I don’t pretend to know the best solution, and this is a call I’m glad I don’t have to make.

IMO, they could go to church every day of the week and twice on Sundays if they wouldn't go to work, the store, or in public.

Tough call by Beshear, but all he can do is what he can to stop the spread at this point.
Lordy, you guys are something.

Trump did not tell the states what to do. He let the governors do that. The ball's in their court and we'll see. But the states shouldn't be looking for federal guidance on everything from blowing their nose to crying wolf every darn day.

Now on the federal front it's a different matter. Part of the power of the executive in time of national crisis is over commerce. He has the authority to do just about whatever he thinks is right. Congress knows this. But Congress also knows, or thinks it knows that the people are ignorant of that fact. And most of them are willing, even compelled to keep that knowledge away from their constituents. Enter Cardfan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:Lordy, you guys are something.

Trump did not tell the states what to do. He let the governors do that. The ball's in their court and we'll see. But the states shouldn't be looking for federal guidance on everything from blowing their nose to crying wolf every darn day.

Now on the federal front it's a different matter. Part of the power of the executive in time of national crisis is over commerce. He has the authority to do just about whatever he thinks is right. Congress knows this. But Congress also knows, or thinks it knows that the people are ignorant of that fact. And most of them are willing, even compelled to keep that knowledge away from their constituents. Enter Cardfan.

You're right he has told states nothing yet. But he is now saying he has "total" authority to open the economy.

Does he?

If he says "Mission Accomplished" May 1st can I go get a haircut (Lord knows I need one) that day no matter what our Gov. says?
But TRT, he just said last night he has absolute authority. This isn’t based on anything in the constitution or any precedent set before. It doesn’t exist. A totalitarian government is obviously not the intent of our founding fathers. So I’ll ask again, since no one has answered my original question. How do you support Trump’s position on that? And how can you skewer Beshear for doing something you find unilateral, but support Trump for wanting to do the exact same thing?
Yeah something like that does exist and FDR used it. Under the "Trading With the Enemy Act of 1917" Presidents have the power to regulate all commerce to include trade with foreign powers.
https://www.wearethemighty.com/president...belltitem2

Article I, Sec. 8; Articles II-V; Amendments XIII-XVI, XIX-XX, XXIII-XXVI. These prerogatives belong to one of the following categories:

1) Defense, war prosecution, peace, foreign relations, foreign commerce, and interstate commerce;

2) The protection of citizens’ constitutional rights (e.g the right to vote) and ensuring that slavery remains illegal;

3) Establishing federal courts inferior to the SCOTUS;

4) Copyright protection;

5) Coining money;

6) Establishing post offices and post roads;

7) Establishing a national set of universal weights and measures;

8 ) Taxation
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey!! I answered it!

Trump is no orator; far from it! He does NOT have total authority over anything.

Now as far as Beshear is concerned, I have posted nothing but support for him both here and on facebook. I think he's done a great job during this crisis and I appreciate him for doing his job as well as keeping us informed. However, I do think he peed in the punch bowl.

"Amendment I
(ratified December 15, 1791)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

He clearly intruded on the separation of church and state. THEN back tracked and stated that he couldn't stop the gathering but would report those who were there. I actually agree with him to a point. Folks have every right in the world to congregate and this being Easter weekend, it was a little more special for some of them. BUT, IMO they should quarantine for 14 days. Their rights stop where mine begin. I went to a drive in service. Even our cars were 6' apart!

I also vehemently disagree with police tagging cars in the parking lot. Reminded me of the Gestopo. I thought it was clearly meant to intimidate and represented bullying.

Should people be arrested if they don't quarantine? Yes!!!

Now, that's my two cents worth. And whomever disagrees has as much right to their opinion as I have.

I still love you. Smile
Granny Bear Wrote:Hey!! I answered it!

Trump is no orator; far from it! He does NOT have total authority over anything.

Now as far as Beshear is concerned, I have posted nothing but support for him both here and on facebook. I think he's done a great job during this crisis and I appreciate him for doing his job as well as keeping us informed. However, I do think he peed in the punch bowl.

"Amendment I
(ratified December 15, 1791)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

He clearly intruded on the separation of church and state. THEN back tracked and stated that he couldn't stop the gathering but would report those who were there. I actually agree with him to a point. Folks have every right in the world to congregate and this being Easter weekend, it was a little more special for some of them. BUT, IMO they should quarantine for 14 days. Their rights stop where mine begin. I went to a drive in service. Even our cars were 6' apart!

I also vehemently disagree with police tagging cars in the parking lot. Reminded me of the Gestopo. I thought it was clearly meant to intimidate and represented bullying.

Should people be arrested if they don't quarantine? Yes!!!

Now, that's my two cents worth. And whomever disagrees has as much right to their opinion as I have.

I still love you. Smile

Exactly, if one wants an orator go dig Obama back up. I started to repost what you'd said from the Constitution but got sidetracked. And it couldn't have been said any better. :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
·
1h
Question: wasn’t the rationale for a national shutdown to flatten the curve and avoid hospitals from being overrun? Now that we know that isn’t happening anywhere, why has the lockdown rationale suddenly shifted to we can’t go back to work without a vaccine?
jetpilot Wrote:Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
·
1h
Question: wasn’t the rationale for a national shutdown to flatten the curve and avoid hospitals from being overrun? Now that we know that isn’t happening anywhere, why has the lockdown rationale suddenly shifted to we can’t go back to work without a vaccine?

Cardfan has the answer to that. "Wait" depending on which lib is speaking, the for what of that vacillates.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cardfan1 Wrote:You're right he has told states nothing yet. But he is now saying he has "total" authority to open the economy.

Does he?

If he says "Mission Accomplished" May 1st can I go get a haircut (Lord knows I need one) that day no matter what our Gov. says?

Well, I don't know about you but in my lifetime I've not had the President call my house and order me to go out to dinner. How did you get the idea that Trump was going to override state Governors? I mean, the assumptions you leap to. :igiveup:

Much of America's industry has remained open throughout all of this. McDonald's, CVS, Walmart, Kroger, banks, Dollar General, Speedway, Autozone. The curve is still flattening and it doesn't look like we'll wind up anywhere near the area code of the predicted body count. After the opening it's going to be up to the individual as to where they go or when. I'll be interested to see how Andy handles his end of the equation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jesse Kelly
@JesseKellyDC
·
2h
I tried to warn all you people in the DC/NYC bubble that a storm was coming. Nobody listened. You sat in your apartments and didn’t miss a paycheck and told everyone to shut up and stay inside.

It’s coming. Open this country. And soon.
Quote Tweet

Noah Fromson
@NoahFromson
· 3h
Massive convoy heading from Lowell to Lansing for #operationgridlock. Group is protesting @GovWhitmer extending stay-at-home order through end of April. Saying it violates their rights @wzzm13
Alex Berenson
@AlexBerenson
·
2h
"Second-wave outbreak" is the new "wait two weeks."

The nice part - for Team Apocalypse, anyway: a "second wave" can come anytime, so it can never be wrong. (Cult leaders learned this trick long ago. Just don't offer a date and the flock will never lose hope for the end.)

Catturd ™
@catturd2
·
6h
My mind keeps saying that I should use this home-time wisely, eat right, exercise, and start a good health kick.

My body, however, keeps pigging out and drinking alcohol, nightly.

Michael McKee
@mckonomy
· 6h
Wrap your head around this:
Jobless claims last 3 weeks: 16,780,000
+ 5,500,000 forecast today would equal 22,280,000
Total jobs created since Great Recession: 22,088,000
In one month, 10 years of job creation wiped out...
Cardfan1 Wrote:You're right he has told states nothing yet. But he is now saying he has "total" authority to open the economy.

Does he?

Since when do millennial hippie type serfer freak dudes get hair cuts?
Jet Pilot, could you PLEASE find somebody to quote that isn't named Cat Turd???
Bob Seger Wrote:Since when do millennial hippie type serfer freak dudes get hair cuts?

Confusednicker:
Seth Dillon
@SethDillon
·
Apr 17
I tested negative for COVID-19 but positive for antibodies, meaning I had the virus but no longer do. I never had any symptoms.

American Journalists Publish Chinese Propaganda
@JohnEkdahl
·
5h
It is just excruciating listening to NYers tell you they can't close the subway, but you have to close your parks and beaches out in the hinterlands. Simultaneously, the New York Times writes a glowing profile on how open-for-everyone Central Park is keeping NYers "sane".
Clay Travis
@ClayTravis
·
9h
All elected politicians — state and federal, Democrat, Republican & independent — should have their pay stopped until Americans can go back to work.
Chloe Salsameda
@ChloeSalsameda
·
5h
#NEW: South Carolina will reopen beaches and retail stores next week. (1/2)
jetpilot Wrote:
American Journalists Publish Chinese Propaganda
@JohnEkdahl
·
5h
It is just excruciating listening to NYers tell you they can't close the subway, but you have to close your parks and beaches out in the hinterlands. Simultaneously, the New York Times writes a glowing profile on how open-for-everyone Central Park is keeping NYers "sane".

The New York Times is worse than a rag and plays a lead part in the left's coup d'état against America. In cutting off the funding for The Times, as well as CNN, MSNBC and the rest, the people have the power to curtail the propaganda which has paralyzed the US. And it's all very simple, by just not buying the lie filled newspapers or watching fake news, the paying advertisers would melt away and the Times subscribership would return to the failing state in which Carlos Slim found it. In that scenario the NYT would lapse back into the mediocrity and obscurity it has so deservedly earned. Not to mention the fact that absent the above mentioned cheerleaders, rabid Dems would find their task of terraforming the USA to more readily accept liberalism, to be a far more daunting challenge.

As far as the reopening, the only sane course of action here is the rolling open. People who are the most vulnerable should continue to live a reserved lifestyle. And the virile should resume their lives. Though CV is highly communicable, the real morbidity numbers are much less severe than DR Fauci's estimate / downwardly revised estimates and counting. It's time to get back to work, stop politicizing the medical field and allow the doctors and researchers the relatively unrestricted space they need to affect valid treatments and ultimately a vaccine.

But no. The Governors are way too fond of the nightly 'prea-fing' to give up the limelight. If you're still listening to Kentucky's Gov, you got a lot stronger stomach than I do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next