Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin County to charge live streamers.
Site base passed a by law that will require all live streamers to submit a request to stream a game or event at Martin county gym and then pay a fee on approval. I think this is a great idea that will help out with lost attendance at the games. Martin county is already one of the lone schools in the region that has a broadcasting team through their journalism class stream all home games on YouTube. I foresee more schools going this route. What do you guys think?
I like the idea. I think the same thing should be applied to radio broadcasts. Local radio stations make money selling advertisements during their coverage of local high school games. If a school has a media/journalism class, they should consider broadcasting the games and collecting the advertising dollars OR charge the radio station a fee for broadcasting rights.
Bad idea. No one outside a family member will “pay” to watch a Martin County team.
I get it that schools are trying to pull money in wherever they can but it would have to be a VERY LOW and affordable fee. One thing to keep in mind is this outlets like Dave and Daryll and the Scouting Report are NOT making a living off of bringing these game to the ones who physically cannot attend. If they’re lucky they can get a sponsor or possibly two for the night to help them pay for gas for getting themselves and their equipment to the event. Outlets like those are doing this for our local kids in an area where the rest of the state overlooks and if schools start thinking that somehow this is a good idea then we’ll, we may lose em all together. As far as attendance goes fact is whoever comes to the game is coming regardless. If it ends up keeping those outlets from not being able to financially cover these games, then the ONLY thing that will do is hurt the fans that are either Elderly/Handicapped or fans/parents that have to work or that have moved and now live to far to attend. Does this surprise me that some place as started this idea? No. Not at all. So far with how we have welcomed these media outlets in, has given our young athletes something they’ve never had before and it can only help promote them. Just stinks that now some are thinking about trying to capitalize off of that.
the reason attendance is down is price of admission and cost of items in concession stand. to take a family of four you are looking at roughly $20 or more depends on what the kids want from concession. people have to choose between ballgames or everyday living. when some weeks you have up to 3 games a week.
The problem is Martin County people have been taxed, watered, sewaged and garbaged to death. A lot cannot afford or want to attend a ball game and certainly will not pay to watch online. Site based is showing their lack of community awareness.
wink you are not following buddy. They are going to be charging the people that come to stream the game. Not the viewers of the stream.
If I’m reading this right, the Martin class will still stream the home games for free but radio stations will be charged or other outlets streaming video?
Well the radio stations only come to cover the out of town team that is playing. For example WSIP only calls when a JC or Paintsville is playing. Their broadcast is mostly for the Johnson county folks, so charge them
I think when WYMT does a game of the week they pay the host school $250.00
I think every school should live stream their sports. It is a learning experience for the students and the internet goes world wide
Thanks for the clarification but still do not get why any streamer would pay to stream a game that no one s going watch. Not good business.
They get money from ads and sponsors. College and pro programs get money from tv deals why not allow hs to do the same? D&D charges like $200 for a sponsorship if they are going to make money off the athletes and schools I feel it’s only right for them to pay.
BallFan1952 Wrote:I think every school should live stream their sports. It is a learning experience for the students and the internet goes world wide

I agree 100%
Bad idea. Like someone previously said, this will ultimately hurt family that can’t make it to the game. But good luck with it.
^ If the family can’t make it to a game they can watch it on the internet, so why would that be bad?
IntheZone Wrote:They get money from ads and sponsors. College and pro programs get money from tv deals why not allow hs to do the same? D&D charges like $200 for a sponsorship if they are going to make money off the athletes and schools I feel it’s only right for them to pay.

So the media outlets should just be out of pocket to promote our kids? I can assure you, when you say their “making money off of the kids” it’s barely enough to allow them to do what they’re doing to help ALL of our kids and I feel safe to assume there are MANY times that it isn’t and it is out of their own pocket. Let’s say they get a $100 sponsorship to cover a Martin co game (The same ones that are pushing Martin co kids every week on their social media sites for (FREE) and NOT because it helps the outlet much, if any but to help the Martin co kid get his or her name out) but take that outlet with a $100 game sponsor, there will be 2 and sometimes 3 guys to working that game. How far do you think $100 goes after they pay for the fuel there and back (from where ever they drive from) allow 3-4 hours for time to setup equipment, call the game, interview local players and tear down equipment and drive time, so now those 2-3 people, I assume will eat since they’ve been all evening doing what they've done, even if McDonalds will be at least $30. I’m also assuming that their equipment they need to promote Eastern KY and southern WV youth, wasn’t free to them or donated. Every time Eastern KY has something good come along to help us evolve, 90% of the time we get in our own way to screw it up. We will always try to make money from it or capitalize off of it in someway then the next thing you know it’s gone and we all lose. With 2 young kids of my own in sports, I’m just thankful that we finally have outlets like this to help eyes find them that otherwise wouldn’t. With social media now kids from our area are getting more college offers than ever before. Hopefully we don’t screw it up!
When these outlets are selling advertising off our kid's name for 150-200
Dollars a pop they can pay the broadcasting fee. The Journalism class will broadcast all the home games still. It doesn't include radio it's just video live streaming and we are the first to do it but many are about to follow.
I am in favor of the schools broadcasting but charging other media outlets? Anyone that is promoting our student athletes should be commended. I don’t see any of these people that live stream making enough money that could support them making a living let alone a crew of 2-3.

Radio stations and live streamers struggle to get sponsors and only want to cover the big games on the schedule. The only people this will hurt are the fans that work out of town or the elderly that can’t make it to the game.

There is a reason WYMT does a game of the week and not the game of the night. Not enough revenue to support more.
Once again it isn't for radio folks, it is live streaming video only. And when they sell advertisements for 150-200 dollars and they will get maybe 5 or 6 a game that's almost 1200 a game they are making. It's easy they are making money off the kids, so why wouldn't we ask for a fee. Plus everyone should just go watch our journalism classes coverage of the game.
Horrible idea.
I’m kind of in the middle on this idea.
Armchair QB Wrote:I like the idea. I think the same thing should be applied to radio broadcasts. Local radio stations make money selling advertisements during their coverage of local high school games. If a school has a media/journalism class, they should consider broadcasting the games and collecting the advertising dollars OR charge the radio station a fee for broadcasting rights.
I don’t know about anywhere else, but both radio stations in Johnson County sponsor the local athletic programs that they broadcast.

As for live streamers, me personally, have never not went to a game just because it’s being live streamed. I’d rather see it in person, cause personally I can’t stand to listen to all the talking or play by play.
IntheZone Wrote:They get money from ads and sponsors. College and pro programs get money from tv deals why not allow hs to do the same? D&D charges like $200 for a sponsorship if they are going to make money off the athletes and schools I feel it’s only right for them to pay.

D&D and Scouting Report both are also recognizing our local athletes and helping get their names out there. D&D just ran another article about Dingus a day or two ago. They ran articles on him and James ALL summer long. Posts that 100’s of shares and 1000’s of views.
I guess Paintsville and Shelby Valley both should get a percentage of all “606 By Gaud” merchandise sold, since it was their game that made the phrase famous. I mean that’s the same as making money off the kids, right?
CardinalAlum Wrote:When these outlets are selling advertising off our kid's name for 150-200
Dollars a pop they can pay the broadcasting fee. The Journalism class will broadcast all the home games still. It doesn't include radio it's just video live streaming and we are the first to do it but many are about to follow.

So your journalism class will be trying to get these young athletes exposure with interviews and weekly shows and postings of their accomplishments/Highlights or will the just be simply streaming the game on YouTube?
CardinalAlum Wrote:Once again it isn't for radio folks, it is live streaming video only. And when they sell advertisements for 150-200 dollars and they will get maybe 5 or 6 a game that's almost 1200 a game they are making. It's easy they are making money off the kids, so why wouldn't we ask for a fee. Plus everyone should just go watch our journalism classes coverage of the game.

No one is saying anything about radio. We get it’s not about radio. The issue is, why in the world would we think it’s a good idea to potentially cripple these new outlets that are trying to help our areas youth by promoting them. They don’t charge the parents of the players for exposure (and believe me parents would pay) but that’s not what it’s about. People in our area have just always been so worried if they think for a second that someone may be making a dollar that they aren’t. This is one of those things that we as an area need to understand, it’s not about the money. It’s worth SO MUCH MORE to us as Eastern Kentuckians. We need to continue to welcome these outlets in, so they can continue to make it easier for College programs to get eyes on our young athletes and find something else to make money from. People will still support the Journalism class by watching it on YouTube since these outlets cannot make every single event. There are plenty of events for the journalism classes to cover so they can still learn and benefit.
I sure wish we would have had social media when I was in school (for sports purposes only, anything other than that, me and my boys would have been in deep shit 😂Wink. I would have loved to have had D&D, Scouting Report and the other outlets advertising me and my buddies. These outlets are a blessing. In just the 4 years that I played, there were a bunch of guys I played with and against that were more talented and better than a lot of these boys that have received D1 scholarships. Make no mistake, I am NOT saying these recent boys aren’t D1 or didn’t deserve it. We didn’t have no where near this kind of exposure in the late 90’s, early 2000’s.
As for BGR we have looked into doing some game of the week stuff with broadcasting the game for viewers on BGR. But we found we had to have a KHSAA license and pay the annual fees you all were talking about. I’ve always wondered how these outlets were live streaming these games on Facebook with no one saying anything.

As for the topic on hand I’m torn. I’ve always said I’ve hated schools refusing to have the game live-streamed because it hurts the gate. Because the more eyes they get on these athletes the better it is in my opinion. But if these outlets are actually getting 150-200 a sponsor which I’m not sure how anyone got that information or how truthful that is. I don’t see a problem with charging maybe 50 bucks to livestream the game.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:As for BGR we have looked into doing some game of the week stuff with broadcasting the game for viewers on BGR. But we found we had to have a KHSAA license and pay the annual fees you all were talking about. I’ve always wondered how these outlets were live streaming these games on Facebook with no one saying anything.

As for the topic on hand I’m torn. I’ve always said I’ve hated schools refusing to have the game live-streamed because it hurts the gate. Because the more eyes they get on these athletes the better it is in my opinion. But if these outlets are actually getting 150-200 a sponsor which I’m not sure how anyone got that information or how truthful that is. I don’t see a problem with charging maybe 50 bucks to livestream the game.
They posted videos on Facebook saying they was selling spots for the game for those prices.
Lol I for one don’t take anyone serious if they can’t name the 4 teams in the 57th district or edit or proofread their stories. Sorry these armchair QBs that wanna come in and act like sports announcers have had enough fun. We have professionals in this region that dont embarrass and make our region look like dummies. Teddy and crew at mountain top sports, Scott at wisp. Hughes over in pburg, Wprg, FCTV and I’m sure their are many more professionals that will present our games on one platform or another. You know the ole saying one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch.